The Protector

32 replies to this topic

#1 Roachbugg

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 195 posts

Posted 26 December 2014 - 12:52 PM

Now I'm not sure why they gave the protector perks to make it a brawler it basically has the same perks as the VA. How ever i do like this mechs hardpoint layout i personally run it as an upgraded stock mech

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...68868787e01e0bd

it has a pretty nice jack off all trades set up with this build what are you guy's thoughts how do you run the kerensky inspired protector?

#2 John80sk

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 375 posts

Posted 26 December 2014 - 03:00 PM

Personally I think running an XL in a mech without arm shields and massive torso's is silly. Running a torso mounted gauss in an XL mech without arm shields is even worse.

The Onion is already kind of a bad mech, adding more weaknesses to an already bad mech generally isn't a good idea.

If you want to run gauss, run a Jaeger or a Phract 3D. The Protector wants an AC20.

#3 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 26 December 2014 - 03:08 PM

I personally run my Protector with either an LBX-10 + AC/5 or twin AC/5s.

It's basically a 75 ton Atlas in my eyes.

#4 Tahribator

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fire
  • Fire
  • 1,565 posts

Posted 26 December 2014 - 03:09 PM

You lose sides in an Orion so quickly that XL will just make you hate that 'Mech. I suggest making it a brawler with a STD300, 2xML, 2xASRM6 and an AC20. The damage it can soak before it goes down is just ridiculous.

#5 Kain Demos

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,629 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 26 December 2014 - 03:13 PM

View PostKoniving, on 26 December 2014 - 03:08 PM, said:

I personally run my Protector with either an LBX-10 + AC/5 or twin AC/5s.

It's basically a 75 ton Atlas in my eyes.

Yep, look familiar?

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...68880e17e68ed0c

#6 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 26 December 2014 - 03:28 PM

Yeah. I run twin AC/5s (better DPS) + 2 streaks (deals with lights) and 2 ML on mine.

#7 Roachbugg

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 195 posts

Posted 26 December 2014 - 04:07 PM

yea i was finding i was getting left torso popped a lot so i switched back to a standard engine on all my orions they just work better as brawlers :( well so much for making them all starleague tech boats lol Also they gave the mechs really weird quirks why does the k get u-ac5 perks? and why does the v get lrm 5 and and ac5 quirks? were they drunk?

#8 Grey Ghost

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 661 posts

Posted 27 December 2014 - 11:52 PM

Unfortunately, I have not been able to find a Protector build that I enjoyed thus far.

View PostRoachbugg, on 26 December 2014 - 04:07 PM, said:

Also they gave the mechs really weird quirks why does the k get u-ac5 perks? and why does the v get lrm 5 and and ac5 quirks? were they drunk?

Not only are the quirks for the majority of the Orion chassis nonsensical, they are abysmal. That is just my opinion, but I was hoping for something that made better use of each Orion's hardpoints at the very least. Not a single one of them even gets normal AC/10 quirks, which is pretty much the chassis signature weapon. Also why did the structure buffs get split between the torso & arms? It certainly doesn't have shield arms, but the torso sections are quite easy targets. Ugh, I'm starting to go off on a tangent.

View PostKoniving, on 26 December 2014 - 03:28 PM, said:

Yeah. I run twin AC/5s (better DPS) + 2 streaks (deals with lights) and 2 ML on mine.

I used to run a ON1-V with twin UAC/5 + 3 streaks & 2ML. The streaks used to be a great deterrent against lights, but nowadays they no longer seem to see them as much of a threat. For good reason I guess, as they really haven't been very effective for myself since they got rebalanced.

I'm trying out something similar on the ON1-P now with a ERLL instead of the streaks, but it hasn't been going smoothly. The Orion is truly a poor Mech to DPS in outside 1v1. Too easy of a target without a lot torso twisting.

#9 Flaming oblivion

• The 1 Percent
  • 1,293 posts

Posted 27 December 2014 - 11:57 PM

Orion can do "okay" with a xl Spent a lot of time on my 1v , but really you have to be able to move atleast 80kph , and be running a sniper loadout or a lurm load out. And avoid brawling at all costs. You just have to be good at piloting the orion to succeed with a Xl

#10 Topshot Tiger

• PipPipPip
  • The Predator
  • The Predator
  • 58 posts
  • LocationIdaho

Posted 29 December 2014 - 07:07 PM

Protector is one of my favorite heavy mechs. I'v run him with an xl, but i prefer to run with a standard engine.

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...3424a5ea27941db

#11 Punk Oblivion

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Scythe
  • The Scythe
  • 352 posts

Posted 30 December 2014 - 12:51 AM

View PostRoachbugg, on 26 December 2014 - 04:07 PM, said:

Also they gave the mechs really weird quirks why does the k get u-ac5 perks? and why does the v get lrm 5 and and ac5 quirks? were they drunk?

I have been running the V with std 300, 2 AC5's and 3 Asrm4's and been having a blast. Run everything on chainfire and charge the enemy.

Also the LBX10 and SRM6 quirks on the M make me regret selling it long ago...

But I would like to see more AC10 quirks on the orions. The K and VA for sure, since they only have 1 ballistic slot. IMO the orion is just too small to fit an AC20 plus other goodies. Maybe put the UAC quirks on the protector for dual UAC5 spamming.

#12 Grey Ghost

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 661 posts

Posted 30 December 2014 - 04:24 AM

I've started using a Protector with 2xUAC/5, 2xML, 1xLPL. Played about 15 matches with it, performed really well. I think the ERLL I replaced was too much of a "Hey, Everybody Target Me!" sign. I lost some long range damage, but the medium to short range performance of the LPL is much better.

#13 Throbbinwood

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 111 posts

Posted 30 December 2014 - 04:44 PM

I run 2 LPL and 1 AC20 STD300

#14 Trumpetteer

• PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 01 January 2015 - 12:02 PM

I switched to a AC/20+3LL build, I find it works decently well for my playstyle of mid-range fighting. The chassis needs energy quirks to be honest.

Edited by Trumpetteer, 01 January 2015 - 12:03 PM.

#15 Panzerjotun

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 264 posts

Posted 01 January 2015 - 09:51 PM

The quirks doomed it to the life of a brawler.

#16 Devil Fox

• The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 1,393 posts
  • LocationThe Fox Den

Posted 03 January 2015 - 03:43 AM

View PostPanzerjotun, on 01 January 2015 - 09:51 PM, said:

The quirks doomed it to the life of a brawler.

As many quirks did to many IS chassis.

#17 Trumpetteer

• PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 08 January 2015 - 10:58 AM

It seriously needs a different set of quirks.

#18 Aidan Crenshaw

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,575 posts

Posted 05 February 2019 - 01:05 AM

Maybe something more long-rangy? https://mech.nav-alp...#e63dad2b_ON1-P

#19 Aidan Crenshaw

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,575 posts

Posted 05 February 2019 - 01:40 AM

View PostAnAnachronismAlive, on 05 February 2019 - 01:03 AM, said:

By the way ... is it possible to change the weapon location (higher mounts, lower mounts etc.) by numeric order in the component? Like with the Protector to make the SnubPPC a high mount by placing it into the side torso before the srm-racks? Wasn't there a familiar placing option with one of the thunderbolt-chassis?

That only works with hardpoints of the same kind, as in two energy hardpoints. For reference: https://youtu.be/I5RWCTGUMSA

#20 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 05 February 2019 - 03:00 AM

View PostAnAnachronismAlive, on 05 February 2019 - 01:03 AM, said:

By the way ... is it possible to change the weapon location (higher mounts, lower mounts etc.) by numeric order in the component? Like with the Protector to make the SnubPPC a high mount by placing it into the side torso before the srm-racks? Wasn't there a familiar placing option with one of the thunderbolt-chassis?

Within the same hardpoint type, something like that is feasible as sometimes the size forces the placement, othertimes its just the order.

However with two different types, it is literally determined by where PGI put them, if the missile rack is above the energy weapon, there ain't **** you can do.

That's what I get for not flipping the page first.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users