- - - - -

Any Reason To Keep All Three Variants Of A Clan Mech?

25 replies to this topic

#1 Tor Jorgensson

• PipPipPip
  • The Warden
  • The Warden
  • 55 posts

Posted 01 January 2015 - 11:17 PM

As in the title, is there any reason, now that I have leveled all three Kit Foxes to Master, that I would need to keep all three CTs?

I am playing a Free account, and could definitely benefit from the extra c-bills and mechbays, so I was considering stripping the D and S of all parts and omnipods, and selling them off, keeping only the Prime to build my playable variants off of.

It will, of course, be awhile before I have enough to buy my next Clan mech trio to level, and while I would love to stick with my beloved Jade Falcon theme and buy Summoners (or Hellbringers if they are available for C-bills by then), it seems that most people here might recommend Stormcrow or Timber Wolf as a next step up.

Still, I'm tempted.

#2 Nightshade24

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3,972 posts
  • LocationSolaris VII

Posted 01 January 2015 - 11:23 PM

1) to have different load outs on all 3 kitfoxes.

2) in the future there may be quirks coming to mechs. there can be a possibility that a CT on a kitfox prime for eg has something that the S does not.

#3 IraqiWalker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 01 January 2015 - 11:28 PM

CW is also very important. Different kitfoxes with different role set ups help you save up a lot of tonnage for bigger mechs, and also have contingencies.

#4 Saint Scarlett Johan

• Hearing Impaired
  • Hearing Impaired
  • 3,349 posts
  • LocationOn the Delta side of Vicksburg

Posted 01 January 2015 - 11:36 PM

It really depends, certain mechs are redundant (see: kit foxes, summoners, novas) and it's irrelevant to keep them as they can all be built the same.

Then there certain mechs, that while can all be made identical (see: kit fox, summoner, stormcrow), have MANY good builds and roles for them.

I'd keep two Kit Foxes. One as an ECM light (for CW attack) and one as a quad Streak-4 light (for CW defense).

#5 Rogue Jedi

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 02 January 2015 - 01:39 AM

sell what you do not need, but I would recommend keeping 2 rather than just 1, just so you can have different loadouts available

#6 BUDFORCE

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 255 posts
  • LocationCambridgeshire, UK

Posted 02 January 2015 - 02:08 AM

Sell them and only keep one.

It'll help you get teh money you need to buy new mechs and master them, which will let you play different mechs, which will help build up your skills in general.

If you ever do need another variant you could always buy it back, yes you will lose CBills doing it this way but its unlikely you will ever need to anyway.

#7 Flapdrol

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,986 posts

Posted 02 January 2015 - 02:33 AM

For community warfare it makes sense to keep all the stormcrows.

#8 Iqfish

• 3,488 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationGermany, CGN

Posted 02 January 2015 - 02:47 AM

Never Sell a mech.

Seriously, I have 54 mechs right now, but back then in UI 1.0, I had only 10 mechbays and mastered all awesomes, Hunchbacks, Cataphracts, etc.

I bought them, leveled them, sold them again. AND I REGRET IT! I used to own all Awesomes, now I own none.

Never sell a mech, you never know when you want to play them again.

#9 Nightshade24

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3,972 posts
  • LocationSolaris VII

Posted 02 January 2015 - 03:01 AM

View PostIqfish, on 02 January 2015 - 02:47 AM, said:

Never Sell a mech.

Seriously, I have 54 mechs right now, but back then in UI 1.0, I had only 10 mechbays and mastered all awesomes, Hunchbacks, Cataphracts, etc.

I bought them, leveled them, sold them again. AND I REGRET IT! I used to own all Awesomes, now I own none.

Never sell a mech, you never know when you want to play them again.

I know the feeling... I sold 2 of my 3 spiders and sold my cicada....

I liked the cicada trial (back when trial = stock... it was the one with a ppc and 2 mg's) and I bought the 2B... I hated it. saw it useless and a jenner could do everything better then it in literally every way. only advantage was armour... which didn't help as I was bigger and not as agile...

then I sold it... I miss it. buy it again... I was fustrated with it again and couldn't make it work... then I sold it again.... then quirks came out and this mech is now better then a jennner.... I also regret never buying the other 2 cicadas I wanted because I never elited the cicada... speed tweak would have helped....

I liked all spiders besides the ECM one but I never fully built it up due to c-bill restraints. I loved the 5K but I sold it as I only had 12 mechbays and the locust 1v was better in every way for me. I loved the locust and the spider was nothing but a ugly version of a locust with jumpjets.... now I want the spider and cicadas back... and tempted to get the hero.

I keep telling myself I only need 3 variants and no hero mech for some mechs... then I end up buying all c-bill variants and getting the hero on sale... what sucks the most? having 6 locusts, 6 stalkers, and many other mechs and heros... not a single one works for CW due to my clan-ly-ness...

I only got 3 kitfoxes, 3 direwolfs, 3 warhawks, 3 ice ferrets, 3 stormcrows, and 3 novas... which is 'fine' but no heavies... and it isn't as large as all the heros, phoenix, and variants of mechs I got.

Either way point is I regret selling my mechs and want to rebuy them later...

#10 SnagaDance

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 1,860 posts
  • LocationThe Netherlands

Posted 02 January 2015 - 07:22 AM

If you want to play in Community Warfare I'd keep all 3. Even when there's only 1 build you're comfortable with it's far cheaper to buy the extra omnipods + weapons + equipment and use those on the 3 different CT's, then buy a couple more 11+ million Scrows of the variant you enjoy.

Only if the CT of a variant offers something the other variants don't, does the choice become tougher.

Plus what was said about quirks. Quirks for the IS have revitalized whole chassis types, it would be a shame to regret your sale later.

#11 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 02 January 2015 - 07:53 AM

I ran a mission in CW with 3 Centurions and a Highlander. Not exactly the same thing, but I wouldn't be able to do it if I only had one Centurion.

But beyond that and being able to store additional loadouts, the only other reason is for paintjobs. And if you don't have the pre-order Invasion primes... that's not really an issue either. (In my case, the Invasion primes have a slightly different look and so I can't give them patterns and only get to use two colors so I have to keep another Clan variant of the same mech to be able to give it patterns).

Edited by Koniving, 02 January 2015 - 11:24 AM.

#12 SpiralFace

• The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 1,151 posts
  • LocationAlshain

Posted 02 January 2015 - 08:11 AM

CW will see you needing multiple chassis if you hope to utilize them.

Some CT's are different on mechs, which cannot be changed.

They be expensive to replace if you ever wanted more of them.

They are due for some "clan quirks" to help the chassis with a bit less to them that might see varinats get some boosts.

If your starved for mechbays and only play IS in CW, knock yourself out. But its usually not advised to ever get rid of mechs unless you have to, as there is no telling when they will see quirk passes that will upset the metta and see different chassis become more prominent.

#13 Podex

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 657 posts
  • LocationThe soup kitchen in your Prius

Posted 02 January 2015 - 08:46 AM

Keep 'em. Don't make the mistake that I did and sell a bunch of variants before PGI came out with quirks.

#14 Tor Jorgensson

• PipPipPip
  • The Warden
  • The Warden
  • 55 posts

Posted 02 January 2015 - 10:14 AM

Thank you everyone. This has all been great food for thought.

I think, at least for now anyway, I will hang on to them. I still have one open mechbay, and earned enough MC in the Stocking-Stuffer event to pick up two more next time they are on sale. I'm hoping to see another mechbay sale by the time I grind enough c-bills to pick up another mech.

For now I will make do with my Kit Foxes and the Clan mechs available as Training mechs.

My next big decision is which Clan mech to pick up as that second Clan mech, and I am torn, really between the following four. Summoner (or Hellbringer when it becomes available for c-bills), for Jade Falcon lore purposes, and Stormcrow or Timber Wolf for what seems like the consensus on best Clan mechs available.

I really go back and forth on those last two.

Edited by Damon Mattlov, 02 January 2015 - 10:20 AM.

#15 luxebo

• The 1 Percent
  • 2,342 posts

Posted 02 January 2015 - 10:50 AM

View PostKoniving, on 02 January 2015 - 07:53 AM, said:

I ran a mission in CW with 3 Centurions and a Banshee. Not exactly the same thing, but I wouldn't be able to do it if I only had one Centurion.

Wait... wait... 50 + 50 + 50 + 95 = 245, do you mean Highlander?

To OP, Mechbays aren't expensive at all though. In fact sometimes I just buy a small amount (like the $6 pack of MC) and I can still pick a few mechbays at a time. I do suggest maybe getting a hero mech (If a Clan mech hero comes out soon) when it comes out. Heroes give extra 30% C-bills and Champions give an extra 30% XP bonus. And lastly remember there is smurfy, so you can have the loadouts saved there in any case: http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/

I will say Hellbringer if you can pick it up via A-la-carte (comes with mechbays already there), otherwise Summoner sounds good. How do you like the trial Summoner? It's good tbh comared to a lot of other trials. However if you dislike it then maybe Stormcrow or Timber Wolf (Stormcrow is better tonnage wise, as you can have 3 Stormcrows and 1 Timber Wolf or 2 Stormcrows and 2 Hellbringers). It's up to you, though if you liked the Kit Fox you may want to specialize more in a support role.

Good luck, and hopefully I helped! :)

#16 Tor Jorgensson

• PipPipPip
  • The Warden
  • The Warden
  • 55 posts

Posted 02 January 2015 - 10:59 AM

Thank you Iuxebo, that is great input.

I only initially went with the Kit Fox really, since it was the cheapest of the iconic Jade Falcon mechs, so seemed the easiest to get 3 of for leveling. I do find I play it best in a support role, and have performed best with a ECM/ERLL/LRM loadout.

I found some great build suggestion from Ovion in another thread, that I am thinking I might try, but for now have been using the above build on a D variant CT.

Edited by Damon Mattlov, 02 January 2015 - 10:59 AM.

#17 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 02 January 2015 - 11:24 AM

View Postluxebo, on 02 January 2015 - 10:50 AM, said:

Wait... wait... 50 + 50 + 50 + 95 = 245, do you mean Highlander?

Yeah. Heavy Metal specifically.
Guess anymore I call it the Banshee because it screams when people die instead of playing country music.

#18 LT. HARDCASE

• The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 2,706 posts
  • LocationDark Space

Posted 02 January 2015 - 02:32 PM

View PostNightshade24, on 01 January 2015 - 11:23 PM, said:

2) in the future there may be quirks coming to mechs. there can be a possibility that a CT on a kitfox prime for eg has something that the S does not.

This is the only reason I'm currently keeping all 3 Gargoyles.

#19 SpiralFace

• The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 1,151 posts
  • LocationAlshain

Posted 02 January 2015 - 02:47 PM

Kitfoxes are not a bad mech to have at the very least 2 hanging around for CW. Allows you quite a bit of tonnage to play around with on the high end so you can drop with multiple T-wolves, Warhawks, or Gargoyles.

#20 Papapeshu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 183 posts
  • LocationGosport, Hampshire. UK

Posted 02 January 2015 - 03:07 PM

Why keep three variants of a clan mech??

...i'm still trying to find a reason to buy one! :P :D

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users