Weapon Grouping in Mech Lab

35 replies to this topic

#1 Tyrfing

• PipPip
  • 30 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 27 June 2012 - 11:49 PM

I believe that a great addition to the Mech Lab would be the ability to set up your weapon groups and if made available what firing mode that group uses in the Mech Lab and not only in battle. How many of us want to actively group our weapons each time we start a battle? Even if grouping is just the first time in that particular Mech, that is still setup time that can be done outside of a mission. There has been a bit of discussion around "Group Fire" vs. "Chain Fire" and I personaly like the idea of being able to switch between the two on the fly.

My suggestions would be:

Enable grouping of weapons in the Mech Lab

Setting the weapon group(s) to group or chain firing mode in the Mech Lab

Enable a preference (if there is such a thing in game) to chose if the change to between chain fire and group fire affects all groups or just the selected group.

Enable a key binding to "Fire Selected Weapon or Group" not just "Fire Group One", "Fire Group Two" etc.

Thankyou.

#2 Spleenslitta

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,617 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 27 June 2012 - 11:55 PM

You're definitivly on the right track here. Especially about the part were group and chain fire only affecting certain groups that have been preselected in the mechlab.
I imagine that would take half a minute to configure on the battlefield.

That's about 28 seconds too much for most scouts who need to be running forward real quick to get into the best possible position as fast as can be.

#3 JokerPW

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Guardian
  • Guardian
  • 108 posts
  • LocationSanto Andre/SP - Brazil

Posted 28 June 2012 - 11:49 AM

In the MW4 (and Mercenaries 4), this is totally possible.
I guess the guys wouldn't simply take it off.
Most certanly, it helps A LOT.

#4 Fire and Salt

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 526 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 29 June 2012 - 02:07 PM

I agree, mw4 mercs (and the patched version of vengeance) had a good weapons grouping setup.

PGI has already said that there will be the concept of a 'selected' weapon group.

I hope that we will be able to toggle chain / non-chain of the selected group.

In mw4 you could select group 1, put it in chain mode, and then select weapon group 2 and put it in chain mode.

I generally only used 3 of the 6 groups, but since i had several variants with only 2 types of weapons instead of three, I really enjoyed chain mode.

Ex:
2x Large Laser
2x Lrm 15

group 1 would be both lasers
group 2 would be both lasers
and group 2 would be both LRM launchers

as soon as i started the game i would put group 2 into chain mode
i would then select group 3 and leave it selected, so i could chain/unchain as needed

(chained LRMs are good supressing fire, but in mw4 the AMS/LAMS was quite effective against chained missiles so there was 1 good reason to not chain.... plus if they were heading for cover you pretty much want to fire everything ASAP so they dont hit a building or whatever)

Only thing i would make different weapon group wise when compared to mw4 would be to add a checkbox in the mechlab for each group that sets it to chained by default.

I also liked being able to regroup my weapons in game...

ex:
if i have
group 1: AC5 and PPC
group 2: 4 med laser
group 3: lrm 10
and then my LRM gets destroyed... i kinda liked being able to separate my ac5 and ppc, seeing as how they were only grouped in the first place because i found them 'similar enough' and i needed to limit to my most easily reachable triggers

#5 Fire and Salt

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 526 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 29 June 2012 - 02:11 PM

View PostTyrfing, on 27 June 2012 - 11:49 PM, said:

Enable a key binding to "Fire Selected Weapon or Group" not just "Fire Group One", "Fire Group Two" etc.

i beleive the devs confirmed this in one of the developer FAQs... the one that talked about mouse/keyoard controls, etc.

they didnt mention chain mode, which scares me just a little... though they may have just forgot to mention it

pressing 1 then 2 then 3 then 1 then 2 then 3 is just tedious....

Edited by Fire and Salt, 29 June 2012 - 02:11 PM.

#6 Nik Van Rhijn

• 2,905 posts
  • LocationLost

Posted 29 June 2012 - 02:17 PM

In one of the Q & As they said that chain fire wasn't in at the moment. That was a while ago so hopefully it will be in.

#7 Teferi

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
  • LocationSilver City, NM

Posted 29 June 2012 - 03:13 PM

I agree with Tyrfing, no one is going to go into a battle like it is right now. The weapon grouping feels off not something a mechwarrior wound use. I like how the weapon grouping setup in MW3 worked and the ways I could setup to get the info I need for a battle.
I also think testing mech before a battle start (like a firing rang) wound be good as well.

#8 ManDaisy

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 3,272 posts
  • LocationKing Of Flower Beds

Posted 29 June 2012 - 03:16 PM

We also need a new innovation.. the auto hold down mode for machine guns and other weapon/time sequences

#9 RazorNWH

Rookie

• 2 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 30 June 2012 - 09:26 AM

i still have not figured out how to change grouping, its either alpha strike and over heat or nothing.. and in option is no help. do we change the grouping in game or in mechlab.. still cannot locate any clear information.

#10 Barakus

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 105 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 11:29 PM

I also agree this would be very helpfull.

View PostRazorNWH, on 30 June 2012 - 09:26 AM, said:

i still have not figured out how to change grouping, its either alpha strike and over heat or nothing.. and in option is no help. do we change the grouping in game or in mechlab.. still cannot locate any clear information.

Use your arrow keys to sellect the weapon and group and right ctrl to set. You also have to unset from the default group if you want to the same way. Click around and you will soon get the hang of it. Although its a silly way to start every game mucking around with the grouping for the first half a minute or so.

#11 Tribune

• PipPip
  • 43 posts
  • LocationDallas TX

Posted 04 August 2012 - 07:35 AM

Just adding my additional agreeance on allowing weapon grouping to be set before combat like in the mech lab. Especially since in between each battle/match, we may decide to swap out weapons in the mech lab (so any previous configured weapon grouping would need tobe re-done anyways). If this is something that would take longer than expected amount of time to program, maybe until such a time, just "unlock" weapon grouping at the beginning of each battle/match (while waiting for a match/battle to begin) in addition to being able to chat with team-mates while waiting for battle/match to begin.

#12 Legatto

Rookie

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 1 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 11:33 PM

I agree with this. Either allow grouping in the mechlab or at the very least once your match loads let grouping happen while waiting for other players and during the countdown.

#13 SolisCanis

Rookie

• 4 posts

Posted 05 August 2012 - 10:25 PM

You're 100% right OP. what they have now is like throwing you parts for many weapons in the middle of combat and telling you "make'em fit before you get blown away" when you could have just done all that before you left the base.
The MW4/Merc system works great for me because I like puting dps weapons, missiles,and heavy hiters in there own groups and breaking them down to type energy/ballistic so i can make the most of them

#14 BladesEdge

Rookie

• 5 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 11:20 PM

I have just spent sometime looking through the forums and guides for how to setup a weapons group .. pre-match! - no such luck to my 'horror' - only in-match .. having played some previous MW games I am surprised it's not there and definitely agree it would be a great addition - in MechLab is also appropriate. Would also agree with the comment the need for a non-combat scenario where you could setup joystick/gamepad controller mappings - not good for the group when in a match.

#15 Bendak

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 213 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 08:20 AM

This is lame. Agree with OP and dont really want to play. *looks for refund untill basics are done.

#16 Stickjock

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 2,687 posts
  • LocationPetal, MS

Posted 14 September 2012 - 08:25 AM

Go ahead and get that refund and cry about wanting your Founders back after they stop selling them :P

... or, since this is close to a Month old thread... read thru the stickies in the Beta sections to see progress that has been made...

#17 Ow Chi

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 100 posts
  • LocationInbound

Posted 04 October 2012 - 06:41 AM

View PostStickjock, on 14 September 2012 - 08:25 AM, said:

Go ahead and get that refund and cry about wanting your Founders back after they stop selling them :)

... or, since this is close to a Month old thread... read thru the stickies in the Beta sections to see progress that has been made...

I have read through a lot of stickies and still do not have an answer, the closest I found was this:

]http://mwomercs.com/...ty-qa-6-mechlab

Can we set up weapon groups in the mech-lab & save them for that particular variant, or do we have to manually assign weapons to groups at the start of each battle?" please? Thank you in advance. -Soviet Alex/pursing

[DAVID] Yes, you’ll be able to set up and save weapon group configurations and they will automatically be loaded at the start of a match.

Great, so it's possible! But...how? I floundered around in the Mechlab for a long time and did not find any way to do this.

#18 Stickjock

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 2,687 posts
  • LocationPetal, MS

Posted 04 October 2012 - 07:21 AM

View PostOw Chi, on 04 October 2012 - 06:41 AM, said:

I have read through a lot of stickies and still do not have an answer, the closest I found was this:

]http://mwomercs.com/...ty-qa-6-mechlab

Great, so it's possible! But...how? I floundered around in the Mechlab for a long time and did not find any way to do this.

You couldn't have read too much... especially one thread in the Feeback section that says "READ FIRST BEFORE POSTING"... :)

Planned
  • Item/Mech Information (damage, heat, hardpoint slots, etc)
  • Salvage - this will take the form of a C-Bill reward presented in the end of round summary screen. Performance will be itemized.
  • Ability to sort/filter Mechs in the Mech selection area of MechLab.
  • More UI/UX customizations to allow a clearer picture of what to do in MechLab for newer players.
  • Setting weapon groups in MechLab.
  • Strip All equipment in MechLab button.
  • Restore Default button in MechLab.
  • Do not reset the inventory panel when purchasing items and requiring players to scroll again.
  • Scroll bar in MechLab item list is not usable.
  • Show inventory only tab in MechLab.
  • Show more stats on the Home page!

So again, it's planned... just not implimented yet... your quote above says even "Yes, you'll be able to set up and ... "

#19 icervoid

• PipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • 20 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 10:15 PM

good idea !
so, in game once i fired a entire group but now when i press the assigned button i fire each weapon in cycling order
anyone knows what happens ?

#20 BigDuke66

• PipPipPip
  • 56 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 01 November 2012 - 10:14 AM

Have to jump in here, it is really about time to get this into the game, I should really set all weapon groups each time I enter a match?!
Sorry, NO.
This is simply a wast of time and annoying like hell.

Question is, the weapons are already grouped so it must be set somewhere, any chance we could manually change this setting in a config file or something like that?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users