Deathballs? Stackpoles!

70 replies to this topic

#1 Dutch334

• Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 15 January 2015 - 01:36 PM

How do we stop death balls in CW and public drops? Do what MW4 and MWLL did. Have mechs blow up at death. Personally I like MWLL's mechanic where it didn't happen everytime, only on engine hits and I think there was a percentage chance even then that it would happen so it wasn't too often but spectacular when it did, and enough that grouping up in a tight formation, while still advantageous, carried some risk. Thoughts on this?

#2 Blacksoul1987

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 392 posts

Posted 15 January 2015 - 01:38 PM

View PostStahler, on 15 January 2015 - 01:36 PM, said:

How do we stop death balls in CW and public drops? Do what MW4 and MWLL did. Have mechs blow up at death. Personally I like MWLL's mechanic where it didn't happen everytime, only on engine hits and I think there was a percentage chance even then that it would happen so it wasn't too often but spectacular when it did, and enough that grouping up in a tight formation, while still advantageous, carried some risk. Thoughts on this?

Deathball is a symptom of high TTK.

#3 Harathan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 970 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 15 January 2015 - 01:40 PM

There's no reason for the 'mech's engines to explode in this catastrophic way, so I can't support that idea. Ammunition explosions having an AoE? That I could get behind. Finally a reason for CASE to exist.

View PostBlacksoul1987, on 15 January 2015 - 01:38 PM, said:

Deathball is a symptom of high TTK.

You're joking right? This was a joke?

Edited by Harathan, 15 January 2015 - 01:41 PM.

#4 UnHolyLegion

• PipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 91 posts

Posted 15 January 2015 - 01:40 PM

I like it better than our mechs looking like they are experiencing an episode of narcolepsy when they are destroyed

#5 Dutch334

• Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 15 January 2015 - 01:48 PM

It's a game about walking robots with fusion reactors that shoot visible lasers and take obscene amounts of damage before breaking down. Exploding engines isn't much more far fetched

#6 Mystere

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 15 January 2015 - 01:51 PM

View PostStahler, on 15 January 2015 - 01:36 PM, said:

Are you in favor of people turning their beaten up Mechs into IEDs? Don't tempt me if you don't.

Edited by Mystere, 15 January 2015 - 01:51 PM.

#7 wanderer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 11,152 posts
  • LocationStomping around in a giant robot, of course.

Posted 15 January 2015 - 01:52 PM

Nothing like having suicide bombers everywhere, because that's what you'd get. Heck, just get near a generator and keep shooting it till you explode, so the explosion finishes the job.

You think light rushes are bad NOW...

#8 Blacksoul1987

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 392 posts

Posted 15 January 2015 - 01:54 PM

View PostHarathan, on 15 January 2015 - 01:40 PM, said:

There's no reason for the 'mech's engines to explode in this catastrophic way, so I can't support that idea. Ammunition explosions having an AoE? That I could get behind. Finally a reason for CASE to exist.

You're joking right? This was a joke?

nope. in games with high ttk it is best to group up and focus fire. in games with low ttk you split up to take good positions, since one guy can drop a whole squad.

#9 Dutch334

• Pip
  • 17 posts

View PostMystere, on 15 January 2015 - 01:51 PM, said:

Are you in favor of people turning their beaten up Mechs into IEDs? Don't tempt me if you don't.

It's not consistent enough for that to be a reliable strategy and the meltdown would take a few seconds, enough for people to try to put some distance between them and the mech

#10 Alistair Winter

• Storm
  • Storm
  • 10,823 posts
  • LocationBergen, Norway, FRR

The oldschool BT fans are very opposed to this idea. They should be here in greater numbers soon, talking about fusion engines.

I want mechs to explode. Especially when they're carrying up to 10 tons (!) of ammunition.

#11 Harathan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 970 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 15 January 2015 - 01:56 PM

View PostAlistair Winter, on 15 January 2015 - 01:54 PM, said:

The oldschool BT fans are very opposed to this idea. They should be here in greater numbers soon, talking about fusion engines.

I want mechs to explode. Especially when they're carrying up to 10 tons (!) of ammunition.

So make the ammo explode, not the engine. I think I mentioned that earlier in the thread...

#12 Alistair Winter

• Storm
  • Storm
  • 10,823 posts
  • LocationBergen, Norway, FRR

Posted 15 January 2015 - 01:59 PM

View Postwanderer, on 15 January 2015 - 01:52 PM, said:

Nothing like having suicide bombers everywhere, because that's what you'd get. Heck, just get near a generator and keep shooting it till you explode, so the explosion finishes the job.

Generators are currently utterly impervious to attacks from friendly mechs and enemy artillery strikes / airstrikes. If we can suspend belief that much, just exclude this sort of damage too.

View PostHarathan, on 15 January 2015 - 01:56 PM, said:

So make the ammo explode, not the engine. I think I mentioned that earlier in the thread...

Laser vomit is already quite dominant. Would be even more dominant if it prevented dead players from wiping out their surviving teammates.

#13 wanderer

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 11,152 posts
  • LocationStomping around in a giant robot, of course.

Posted 15 January 2015 - 01:59 PM

Also, there's nothing like rewarding bad play (getting killed) by inflicting meaningful damage on potentially multiple opponents.

Don't we have enough AoE spam thanks to arty strikes as it is?

#14 Dutch334

• Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 15 January 2015 - 02:07 PM

View PostAlistair Winter, on 15 January 2015 - 01:54 PM, said:

I am an old school BT fan and this game, while fun is not old school BT. IS mechs are more customizable than omni mechs atm so we left that behind long ago. The mechanic had been tested before in MWLL and worked very well. I don't remember it being abused like many are saying it will be. We are talking about maybe a 5-10% chance of big boom here. Maybe even less

#15 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 15 January 2015 - 02:15 PM

View PostHarathan, on 15 January 2015 - 01:40 PM, said:

From what I've seen, an Area of Effect of 1/2 ton of MG ammo (on a 20 ton fuel-cell powered battlemech) and a Stackpole on Battletech (Megamek specifically) has similar effect. So I certainly wouldn't say that a stackpole would be all that catastrophic.
Stackpoles aren't quite as scary as a mech that detonates in an instant by ammo explosion due to the lower damages a Stackpole seems to do.

Though I confess a stackpole has more range.

#16 _Comrade_

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,120 posts

Posted 15 January 2015 - 02:20 PM

Death balls wouldn't be a problem if they introduced new modes , it right now is only a tactic in base attack

#17 Dutch334

• Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 15 January 2015 - 02:30 PM

View PostGrimwill, on 15 January 2015 - 02:20 PM, said:

Death balls wouldn't be a problem if they introduced new modes , it right now is only a tactic in base attack

It will remain a problem in base attack and can be an issue in public drops as well

#18 TheSilken

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,492 posts
  • LocationLost in The Warp

Posted 15 January 2015 - 02:32 PM

Explosions would be nice

#19 Kjudoon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 7,636 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 15 January 2015 - 02:36 PM

View PostMystere, on 15 January 2015 - 01:51 PM, said:

View Postwanderer, on 15 January 2015 - 01:52 PM, said:

Run little locust run! blow up the Direwhale in one shot!

#20 Xetelian

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 4,375 posts

Posted 15 January 2015 - 02:36 PM

I wish we had explosions too.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users