Voip - Push To Talk Only!

25 replies to this topic

Poll: Require push-to-talk for in-game VOIP (103 member(s) have cast votes)

Should push-to-talk be the only option for the new in-game VOIP?

1. Yes (82 votes [79.61%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 79.61%

2. No (21 votes [20.39%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 20.39%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 DestructShawn

• PipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 32 posts

Posted 17 January 2015 - 10:11 AM

Please make sure the new in-game VOIP *ONLY* allows push to talk. It is the most annoying thing on teamspeak when ******* breath and cough into the mic becuase they are too lazy and selfesh to use push-to-talk.

I know already I will be able to mute them, but I really don't want to mute them for that, requiring push-to-talk would avoid a lot of muting.

P.S. - THANK YOU for including in-game, integrated VOIP. I am very pleasantly surprised to hear it is about to come and I predict much less butt-hurt over pre-mades now.

Thanks,

-DestructShawn

#2 Handrew

Rookie

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 4 posts

Posted 17 January 2015 - 11:29 AM

View PostDestructShawn, on 17 January 2015 - 10:11 AM, said:

Please make sure the new in-game VOIP *ONLY* allows push to talk. It is the most annoying thing on teamspeak when ******* breath and cough into the mic becuase they are too lazy and selfesh to use push-to-talk.

I know already I will be able to mute them, but I really don't want to mute them for that, requiring push-to-talk would avoid a lot of muting.

P.S. - THANK YOU for including in-game, integrated VOIP. I am very pleasantly surprised to hear it is about to come and I predict much less butt-hurt over pre-mades now.

Thanks,

-DestructShawn

I totally agree. Not to mention the case where someone decides to use the built in mic on their laptop...

Edited by Handrew, 17 January 2015 - 11:30 AM.

#3 Tarogato

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 6,557 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 17 January 2015 - 11:41 AM

View PostHandrew, on 17 January 2015 - 11:29 AM, said:

I totally agree. Not to mention the case where someone decides to use the built in mic on their laptop...
My built-in mic with voice detection is perfectly adequate, thank you very much. If PGI uses TS, which Russ said is the plan, then it will likely have voice detection with a nice threshold adjuster, and I will be happy. =]

Lenovo Thinkpads are awesome... wholeheartedly recommend.

#4 Gremlich Johns

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,855 posts
  • LocationMaryland, USA

Posted 18 January 2015 - 09:50 AM

For CW, this is a good feature, but for PUGs, not so much. too many ******** that hate losing would voice their displeasure.

#5 DestructShawn

• PipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 32 posts

Posted 19 January 2015 - 06:02 AM

I believe you have miss-understood the poll. Integrated VOIP is haopening, they already announced it in the last town hall. I'm sure you are not happy about that by the content of your post, but this poll is about trying to influence PGI to only allow push-to-talk when they do release the in-game VOIP since those of us that use Teamspeak know that it is impossible to play with most people that don't use push to talk, especially with 12 people.

I for one am very happy they are releasing VOIP, I hope it will mitigate the whole pre-made controversy, but I want to make sure it is push-to-talk only so people don't have to mute it by default. If it isn't push-to-talk only, everyone will have to mute it becuase it will be a mess of background noise. If you don't believe me, check out any Teamspeak channel with 12 people not using push-to-talk.

I know some people can keep themselves quite and have their mic sensitivity set right, but they are the exception. Most people using voice activation and not using push-to-talk broadcast their coughs, snorts, chewing, breathing, wife bitching at them, etc...

#6 HARDKOR

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,309 posts

Posted 19 January 2015 - 06:27 AM

I agree wholeheartedly.

It's one thing getting the guys in your unit to tune their TS correctly and a whole 'nother to expect everyone in the game to get it right. Even with the best intentions, theres always someone who forgets that tacos are loud food or doesn't realize their music is bleeding through. These are easy to rectify with your team but with strangers, not so much.

Please make people have to actually intend to talk by default. Letting people configure push to talk is fine, but the default needs to be push to talk.

#7 destroika

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 19 January 2015 - 08:04 PM

Oh god... integrated voice chat has never worked well on any game I've seen so far. Not in performance, but in broken mics, PC settings someone doesn't know how to adjust, KARAOKE, people breaking out into some drama, people actually yelling or screaming at the game, and the usual coughing and breathing annoyances.

PLEASE make sure this is turned off by default =(

#8 Jon Gotham

• The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 2,630 posts

Posted 20 January 2015 - 07:44 AM

View PostTarogato, on 17 January 2015 - 11:41 AM, said:

My built-in mic with voice detection is perfectly adequate, thank you very much. If PGI uses TS, which Russ said is the plan, then it will likely have voice detection with a nice threshold adjuster, and I will be happy. =]

Lenovo Thinkpads are awesome... wholeheartedly recommend.

I'm sorry, I can't find anything on what they are planning...they are going to use TS? Is there any official posts about explaining exactly how?

#9 Tarogato

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 6,557 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 20 January 2015 - 05:08 PM

View Postkamiko kross, on 20 January 2015 - 07:44 AM, said:

I'm sorry, I can't find anything on what they are planning...they are going to use TS? Is there any official posts about explaining exactly how?

Here you go, good sir:

Town Hall with Russ Bullock (1.5.2015)

Edited by Tarogato, 20 January 2015 - 05:09 PM.

#10 Spurowny

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blazing
  • The Blazing
  • 120 posts

Posted 20 January 2015 - 05:46 PM

plz PGI save me from the mouth breathers!

#11 Lyoto Machida

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 5,080 posts

Posted 20 January 2015 - 06:16 PM

Yes! It needs to be push to talk only...anyone who has used TS or some other comm program knows why.

#12 9erRed

• Overlord
  • 1,566 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 20 January 2015 - 07:39 PM

Greetings all,

Yes, wholeheartedly agree that this feature should remain default set to 'push to talk'.
- There are plenty of unused keys still available to be set for this feature.
- I personally have a side button on my mouse used for this feature, so never have to 'go looking for' a button when it's a second to say something or die looking for that key.

On a side note here, I did see a USB foot operated push peddle that really looks interesting as a 'push to talk' programmable item. Pretty cheap at $12, and could have so many other uses. (but I diverge)

If PGI truly will be using Team Speak as there VOIP program it has many advanced features that could come in handy for Company and Lance level voice control.
- Channel commander, when set up correctly allows for the directed comms to Lance commanders or all.
- And works both ways for single Pilots.
- PGI will need to address the set up system for this program, intergrade it into the MWO game as an easy flow through to get it working with all the different Player set-ups that could be found and there systems.
(I would assume that it will be a cut down version of Ts, as there are many aspects of the full program PGI may not want to have available in the game. 'file transfer, streaming sound/music, as just some.)

If this program operates within MWO like the VOIP in Elite Dangerous, we will not have to hear the actual voice of Pilots but have it altered to sound more like a military radio transmission. But that may use too much bandwidth. Don't get me wrong, I like Ts and it' ease of use, but Pilots will need to quickly adapt some Comms protocol. Especially those that have never used large grouped comms before, this isn't your cell phone and shouldn't be used as such.

Ps; I'm not interested in the type of music you listen to while playing MWO or care to hear it, or the crickets or barking dogs outside your window. Thanks, but 'Push to Talk ONLY'.

Aim True and Run Cool,
9erRed

#13 Commander A9

• Mercenary Rank 8
  • 2,375 posts
  • LocationGDI East Coast Command, Fort Dix, NJ

Posted 20 January 2015 - 08:55 PM

When I'm Teamspeak, I use voice activation. If I use push-to-talk, that ends up being one of my weapon group keys.

I'd rather not unleash a missile barrage every time I need to speak.

#14 Jon Gotham

• The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 2,630 posts

Posted 21 January 2015 - 04:24 AM

View PostTarogato, on 20 January 2015 - 05:08 PM, said:

Thank you very much!:)
It seems clunky though...I'm gonna have run ts3 and this at the same time..ugh:( Multiple voices talking all over each other=EPIC mess....

#15 Tarogato

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 6,557 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 21 January 2015 - 04:56 AM

View Postkamiko kross, on 21 January 2015 - 04:24 AM, said:

Thank you very much! :)It seems clunky though...I'm gonna have run ts3 and this at the same time..ugh:( Multiple voices talking all over each other=EPIC mess....
You'll be able to turn it off, or just use it and not use your own TS at all - your choice, most likely.

#16 Jody Von Jedi

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 1,551 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 21 January 2015 - 05:34 AM

My only experience with TS was in Stock mech matches on Monday and Wednesday in MW:O. Haven't played in months though.
One thing I learned quickly, was my need to use Push to Talk. I got called out several times for using my voice activated mic. Based on my limited experience, Push to Talk as default is a good idea.

I may use it for CW, but I doubt I'll turn on Voip for regular matches.

#17 PharmEcis

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 148 posts
  • LocationSilver Spring, MD

Posted 21 January 2015 - 06:09 AM

Push to talk should be the ONLY option.

Voice activation is considered to be quite rude by most TS users because it IS inherent laziness on the part of the voice activated user and no matter how good you "think" your activation level is, there is ALWAYS bleed through of background noise activating your mic.

Considering a lot of us are fatties like myself, I really don't want to hear what sounds like elephants humping in the background as you guys breathe.

It is honestly a no brainer. Voice comms in MWO MUST BE push to talk!

#18 ExplodedZombie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 338 posts
  • LocationBay Area, CA, U.S.A.

Posted 21 January 2015 - 09:45 AM

I do not want to hear babies or heavy breathing. Or chewing food. Push to Talk is necessary.

#19 Tarogato

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 6,557 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 21 January 2015 - 09:49 AM

Fine, I'll find a macro to hold down my PTT for me and find another program that sets my microphone threshold separately, whatever it takes. I can't just be holding down a bloody key when I'm trying to report how many of what kind of mechs with what loadouts I just ran into while I'm trying to evade them and live while also putting damage on them and also probably putting up a UAV or landing a strike, or both... especially when I don't have any keys left on my keyboard to map that are within hand's reach without having to actually move my hand out of place.

Some people know how to use a microphone, you know. =P

P.S. N-Key Rollover - I already run into problems with that without having to use a PTT key.

Edited by Tarogato, 21 January 2015 - 09:52 AM.

#20 Jon Gotham

• The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 2,630 posts

Posted 21 January 2015 - 09:59 AM

View PostTarogato, on 21 January 2015 - 04:56 AM, said:

You'll be able to turn it off, or just use it and not use your own TS at all - your choice, most likely.

If I'm running with my 3-4 mates I normally run with, we'll need to use both or be gimped. that's the issue. the nitty gritty is that small groups on ts will HAVE to put up with being interrupted and talked over or be gimped info-wise.
Not such an issue in community warfare matches but definitely a QoL issue when playing casually, as our usual casual chatter may be spoiled by randoms mouthing off.
From what I've seen another victory for the deliberate solos, another loss for small groups of friends.
But thanks for the link and the bookmark at relevant time-most kind of you+1

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users