Anyone Use / Suggest A Vpn?

21 replies to this topic

#1 FatYak

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 585 posts

Posted 17 January 2015 - 04:44 PM

HI

Australian user, rotten connection. Interested if anyone could suggest a VPN that would reduce the lag spiking and packet loss i get?

Thanks

#2 Jon Cunningham

Senior Architect

• 159 posts

Posted 20 January 2015 - 08:05 AM

Some users have been using Pingzapper and reporting success with that.

This is not a recommendation, just an observation. They have trials.

#3 Samurai 7

• PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 20 January 2015 - 11:36 AM

i use https://www.privateinternetaccess.com/

Mostly for streaming movies from other countries. They cap their speed at 10mbs-20mbs depending on the city you connect to. I have always been happy with the service and it was $35US per year. So less than $3 a month with no caps.

#4 p4r4g0n

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 1,511 posts
  • LocationMalaysia

Posted 20 January 2015 - 10:09 PM

Pingzapper's trial usage does not work for udp based games. So you will be able to get into the frontend but will not be able to drop into a match. Just FYI -> http://pingzapper.co...ledge_entries/3

Edit: According to pingzapper's support response to my query, it apparently doesn't work with MWO based on their tests. You can try using flyvpn.com whose trial does work with MWO albeit the trial is limited to 20 minutes per session and only 3 times per day. Have to admit that I haven't tested CW with it thought due to the time limit.

Refer to post below regarding flyvpn.com

Edited by p4r4g0n, 05 March 2015 - 12:48 AM.

#5 Action Man

• PipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 28 posts
  • LocationWazan

Posted 21 January 2015 - 03:13 AM

how rotten is your connection? I am an Aussie on the West Coast avg a ping of 270-300, ive found that VPNs actually make it worse if they work, TBH with HSR in this game I can still mix it with the best and even be top in more than half of my matches. I short compared other games high ping isn't much of an issue unless you hitting500 plus

#6 FatYak

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 585 posts

Posted 22 January 2015 - 12:58 AM

View PostAction Man, on 21 January 2015 - 03:13 AM, said:

how rotten is your connection? I am an Aussie on the West Coast avg a ping of 270-300, ive found that VPNs actually make it worse if they work, TBH with HSR in this game I can still mix it with the best and even be top in more than half of my matches. I short compared other games high ping isn't much of an issue unless you hitting500 plus

Its hit and miss actionman. PING is mostly 300 like you, but the jitter at times is garbage, and i inexplicably get up to the 500's

#7 ShinVector

Liao Mercenary

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 3,711 posts

Posted 22 January 2015 - 04:48 PM

I previously used ASTRILL.

https://www.astrill.com/

Edit: how ever do make sure to check with your ISP that your latency problem isn't a local issue.

Edited by ShinVector, 22 January 2015 - 04:49 PM.

#8 FatYak

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 585 posts

Posted 22 January 2015 - 09:17 PM

View PostShinVector, on 22 January 2015 - 04:48 PM, said:

I previously used ASTRILL.

https://www.astrill.com/

Edit: how ever do make sure to check with your ISP that your latency problem isn't a local issue.

Thanks shin

Optus always say its not a local issue..... hard to know if its the truth or not. Having sad that there is no rea; pattern to my issues, can be peak time or 4 am and it still randomly ocurs. I have 0 issues with warthunder though, which is my fallback when MWO gets a bit crazy

#9 ShinVector

Liao Mercenary

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 3,711 posts

Posted 22 January 2015 - 09:39 PM

View PostVerapamil, on 22 January 2015 - 09:17 PM, said:

Thanks shin

Optus always say its not a local issue..... hard to know if its the truth or not. Having sad that there is no rea; pattern to my issues, can be peak time or 4 am and it still randomly ocurs. I have 0 issues with warthunder though, which is my fallback when MWO gets a bit crazy

Ok some advise on using VPNs.
Ok to my knowledge some parts of Australia has decent connectivity to Canada (Where MWO games servers are, In Montreal if not wrong )
Something like 220ms++ latency.

I can't remember whether ASTRILL has a lot VPN servers for Australia but you would want to connect to them first and start doing ping tests to mwomercs.com.
If you can find an Australian vpn server with good connectivity to mwomercs. It will be the best one to use.
You ISP is less likely to throttle bandwidth to hosts within Australia.

Chances are the path Optus takes is congested somewhere.

What you want to happen to find a vpn server in Australia that has a stable lower latency path to MWO.
By the way... ASTRILL might give you flack for connection and disconnecting their vpn too quickly for the ping testing.

Edited by ShinVector, 22 January 2015 - 09:41 PM.

#10 FatYak

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 585 posts

Posted 22 January 2015 - 09:56 PM

View PostShinVector, on 22 January 2015 - 09:39 PM, said:

Ok some advise on using VPNs.
Ok to my knowledge some parts of Australia has decent connectivity to Canada (Where MWO games servers are, In Montreal if not wrong )
Something like 220ms++ latency.

I can't remember whether ASTRILL has a lot VPN servers for Australia but you would want to connect to them first and start doing ping tests to mwomercs.com.
If you can find an Australian vpn server with good connectivity to mwomercs. It will be the best one to use.
You ISP is less likely to throttle bandwidth to hosts within Australia.

Chances are the path Optus takes is congested somewhere.

What you want to happen to find a vpn server in Australia that has a stable lower latency path to MWO.
By the way... ASTRILL might give you flack for connection and disconnecting their vpn too quickly for the ping testing.

Thanks Shin

Looking into WTFAst and Astrill now. Bothe have servers in Melbourne and Montreal

I'd be happy with the same latency but without the jitter

#11 ShinVector

Liao Mercenary

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 3,711 posts

Posted 22 January 2015 - 10:14 PM

View PostVerapamil, on 22 January 2015 - 09:56 PM, said:

Thanks Shin

Looking into WTFAst and Astrill now. Bothe have servers in Melbourne and Montreal

I'd be happy with the same latency but without the jitter

Think you can forget WTFast... Scrappy thing doesn't work with MWO.
However... Been a while since I tested it....

WTfast always crashes MWOclient back to the mechlab before it can go into a match. (Still don't see it in the support games list.)
You can try by getting a free 7 day account though.
I don't think I ever tried it with 64bit mwo.

Edited by ShinVector, 22 January 2015 - 10:15 PM.

#12 FatYak

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 585 posts

Posted 23 January 2015 - 12:13 AM

Thanks again shin

Trying pingzapper, but for some reason i cant use the sydney server "A network error has occurred", keeps wanting to send me to Hong Kong, so now i have support tickets through them.

I did log one with MWO support about a week ago asking for advice on this, no reply yet

#13 p4r4g0n

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 1,511 posts
  • LocationMalaysia

Posted 23 January 2015 - 09:56 AM

Try flyvpn.com as suggested in the edit to my earlier post, it works with MWO.

Tried the full paid service and unlike the trial, the vpn connection crashes 2 or so minutes into the match. Avoid!!!1

Edited by p4r4g0n, 05 March 2015 - 12:46 AM.

#14 FatYak

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 585 posts

Posted 23 January 2015 - 04:11 PM

Thanks p4r4g0n, will give that one a try

I started another thread http://mwomercs.com/...lians-and-vpns/

Ill play around with VPN's over the next few weeks and write a little blurb about how i found them, that way if anyone else searches for the same info there will be something there

Thanks guys

#15 ShinVector

Liao Mercenary

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 3,711 posts

Posted 09 May 2015 - 07:10 AM

Supposedly WTfast is compatible with MWO now with their latest Beta client.
http://mwomercs.com/...e-with-mwo-now/

#16 FatYak

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 585 posts

Posted 09 May 2015 - 09:40 PM

View PostShinVector, on 09 May 2015 - 07:10 AM, said:

Supposedly WTfast is compatible with MWO now with their latest Beta client.
http://mwomercs.com/...e-with-mwo-now/

Oohh...i was waiting for that to come out.

For the record, 3 or 4 patches ago MWO crashed pretty much every single match using Astril, which is a shame 'cause i had good results prior to that

#17 ShinVector

Liao Mercenary

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 3,711 posts

Posted 09 May 2015 - 11:31 PM

View PostFatYak, on 09 May 2015 - 09:40 PM, said:

Oohh...i was waiting for that to come out.

For the record, 3 or 4 patches ago MWO crashed pretty much every single match using Astril, which is a shame 'cause i had good results prior to that

Yeah... Replied to that post and added some instructs. Need to use their new WTFast BETA 4.0.1 client not the 3.5 client.
Let me know if it helps... I a lot of asian/south east asian friends like to recommend trying.. Especially those with terribad ping like in China.

Edited by ShinVector, 09 May 2015 - 11:32 PM.

#18 dodii

Rookie

• 1 posts

Posted 15 May 2015 - 08:21 AM

It is very suitable for every Australian user to get VPN service to get the highest level of privacy and bypass Geo-blocking with ensuring security and anonymity. I highly recommend this VPN service for you http://www.vpnanswer...n-in-australia/

#19 bradhaddin81

Rookie

• 1 posts

Posted 08 March 2016 - 11:24 PM

We all know that VPN has many features such as Spilt tunneling, Port blocking but the problem is still there because after using VPN system speed almost collapse and this is the reason that so many users who buy VPN for torrenting, streaming and security purposes are never satisfied. but what I can do is recommend a list of best vpn for Germany so that you can easily enjoy your activities

#20 Liveish

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2022 Referee
  • CS 2022 Referee
  • 838 posts
  • LocationDarwin

Posted 09 March 2016 - 08:58 PM

If you want to do online gaming out of Aus, move to the better ISP.

OPTUS is crap outside of Aus

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users