Griffin Worth It?

44 replies to this topic

#21 Ratpoison

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 851 posts

Posted 25 January 2015 - 11:41 AM

I run a split missile build on my GRF-3M and it's one of my favorites. Useful at all ranges, but fast with jumpjets and the amazing griffin torso twist, so you can get in that magical 180-270m range and really pour the hurt on someone. That LRM15 in the shoulder barrel is just too pretty to take off if you ask me...

#22 Atlasian

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 168 posts
  • LocationSingapore

Posted 27 January 2015 - 08:53 PM

I always wanted the venerable Griffin but shunned from it as I am not a good pilot using JJs. Currently I am grinding to get my first OmniMech, maybe the Vulture or MadCat, but still part of me is tempted to get the Griffin. Perhaps this thread has convinced me to get one.

#23 Chagatay

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 964 posts

Posted 27 January 2015 - 09:14 PM

Griffin is a great mech. Sure it didn't get a smattering of quirks (odd ones at that) but it is a solid performer*.

*as long as you like missiles....and I love the missiles.

#24 Atlasian

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 168 posts
  • LocationSingapore

Posted 27 January 2015 - 09:25 PM

Ok I just bought the Griffin-3M. It is on sale right now but not for long. Save $2.897m.

I named it, the BUBBLEGUM.

#25 Atlasian

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 168 posts
  • LocationSingapore

Posted 28 January 2015 - 01:20 AM

Alright just an update using the BUBBLEGUM in a few matches.

Changed to XL320 for faster speed.
Removed JJs as I am still struggling with it.
ER PPC and SRM6(Artemis) x3
Endo Steel.

This is one damage-dealing machine. As I am used to piloting heavies I am pleased to feel the smoothness of the cursor movement and great torso twist. A fun Mech to use. No regrets.

Edited by Atlasian, 28 January 2015 - 01:21 AM.

#26 Zuri Prime

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 120 posts
  • LocationThe Periphery

Posted 28 January 2015 - 01:31 AM

You should consider trying four SRM4s for the quirks. Once you get a SRM4 range module, you can effectively dictate close to mid range encounters. Having at least one JJ will help for dropping off ledges and turn sniping.

#27 Atlasian

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 168 posts
  • LocationSingapore

Posted 28 January 2015 - 03:24 AM

View PostAirmanator, on 28 January 2015 - 01:31 AM, said:

You should consider trying four SRM4s for the quirks. Once you get a SRM4 range module, you can effectively dictate close to mid range encounters. Having at least one JJ will help for dropping off ledges and turn sniping.

Will do, once I accumulate enough cbills again. Btw, where can I view the Mech's quirks?

#28 TercieI

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,147 posts
  • LocationThe Far Country

Posted 28 January 2015 - 05:42 AM

View PostAtlasian, on 28 January 2015 - 03:24 AM, said:

Will do, once I accumulate enough cbills again. Btw, where can I view the Mech's quirks?

This is the best site for quirks. You can see them in Mechlab, too.

For a good resource on competitive/best builds, check out MetaMechs, too. This is the STD engine competitive build for the 3M, the XL version (XL300 or so) is probably more common for PUGging, but it's a great mech either way.

#29 Jody Von Jedi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 1,551 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 28 January 2015 - 06:03 AM

I would choose the Griffin over the Wolverine for one reason, Jump Jets. All of the GRF variants have jump jets. Only 2 of the WVR variants have jump jets.

If you are a jump jet fan, then take the GRF over the WVR. Even the hero variant, Sparky, has jump jets. And currently, there is no WVR hero variant.

#30 Ratpoison

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 851 posts

Posted 28 January 2015 - 08:44 AM

View PostAirmanator, on 28 January 2015 - 01:31 AM, said:

I disagree. The SRM4 quirk is a pitiful 5% range bonus which is a total throwaway if you ask me. 4 SRM4 is better than 3 SRM6 by default because of lower cooldowns, but an equal amount of SRM4 against SRM6 is certainly in favor of the latter on this mech.

#31 Amsro

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3,382 posts
  • LocationCharging my Gauss Rifle

Posted 28 January 2015 - 08:58 AM

Griffin, Wolverine, Shadowhawk are all great

#32 MarkFBD

• PipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 27 posts

Posted 28 January 2015 - 09:36 AM

View PosttortuousGoddess, on 28 January 2015 - 08:44 AM, said:

I disagree. The SRM4 quirk is a pitiful 5% range bonus which is a total throwaway if you ask me. 4 SRM4 is better than 3 SRM6 by default because of lower cooldowns, but an equal amount of SRM4 against SRM6 is certainly in favor of the latter on this mech.

I would load SRM 4's, unless I found a way to get on SRM 6 Artemis'. Just my thought.

Thanks for all the responses probably gonna lock myself in my kitchen all weekend and work up to a Griffin 3M or a Wolverine. Thanks again.

#33 Kahadras

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 127 posts

Posted 30 January 2015 - 12:51 AM

I busy mastering the Griffon at the moment and I'm running them as close range brawlers with plenty of SRM's which is a nice change as most of the other IS mediums are either stand off (Wolverine, Shadowhawk and Blackjack) or a glorified light mech (Cicada). It's a nice mech to pilot and I'd rate it alongside the Wolverine, Shadowhawk, Centurion and Hunchback.

#34 Kjudoon

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 7,636 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 30 January 2015 - 01:05 AM

Griffins if you love missiles.
Wolverines if you love SRMs and Wub.
Vindicators if you love PPCs and long range sniping
Kintaros if you love LRMs
Shadowhawks... don't even bother. Every other 55 tonner does it better thanks to a few specific nerfs.
Centurion if you love ballistics
Cicadas for acting like a big commando with bad hit boxes and ECM.
Hunchies... they're kinda the pickup truck of MWO, there's a variant that does anything you want.

Edited by Kjudoon, 30 January 2015 - 01:06 AM.

#35 Kahadras

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 127 posts

Posted 30 January 2015 - 05:01 AM

Shadowhawks... don't even bother. Every other 55 tonner does it better thanks to a few specific nerfs.

I quite like the Shadowhawk. I run the 2K with 3 large pulse lasers and I've found it to be an effective build.

#36 Wildstreak

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 5,154 posts

Posted 30 January 2015 - 05:34 AM

The 1S is one of the best LRM boats for me, ALRM20, 900 missiles, TAG & 3ML. LRM boating makes it less likely you get disarmed. It does just as well as a Hunchback-4J plus JJ.

The 1N could LRM or go Brawler with ML & SRM6. I also tried other combinations of Energy & SRMs.

My 3M defied the current quirks, 4SSRM2 & 2MPL.

All used max JJ for mobility.

Not gotten to try the Sparky yet.

#37 Kahadras

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 127 posts

Posted 30 January 2015 - 09:01 AM

Having mastered the Griffon I decided to hang onto the 1N. I'm running it with 3 medium pulse lasers and 3 SRM 6's and it's worked pretty well so far. It doesn't have the sheer damage dealing ability of my Wolverine or Shadowhawk but the extra mobility of the jump jets is pretty nice. I certainly prefer it over the Centurion and the Blackjack. It's probably going to go alongside my Cicada as a mech I play for fun.

#38 The Trumpet of Gabriel

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 193 posts
  • LocationIndiana

Posted 02 February 2015 - 05:09 PM

I personally like the mantra, "Gotta have em all." I like specific variants of each chassis. The griffin 3m and sparky are excellent choices as are the wolverines, shadowhawks, kintaro's, hunchies, etc. It's all about what you plan to do with them. If you want a good medium for comp play the 3M is top of the heap for a srm brawler. If you want a good generalist chassis the wolverine is a good choice. I just decided to stop choosing, get all of them and sell off the variants I don't like.

#39 Richard Warts

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 421 posts
  • LocationCrash landed on Weingarten III

Posted 02 February 2015 - 05:24 PM

Go with the Sparky, it's a hero mech worth getting.

#40 Zuri Prime

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 120 posts
  • LocationThe Periphery

Posted 03 February 2015 - 01:26 AM

View PostTabu 73, on 02 February 2015 - 05:24 PM, said:

Go with the Sparky, it's a hero mech worth getting.

The Sparky is okay for its duties. The only role I can see it good at is with two LLs/ERLLs and MLas back ups; anything else the Hunchback 4P (close range) and Shadowhawk 2K (long range) can do with generally better results. It's a good supplement to a CW drop deck if you want to go for some energy range play. Perhaps without missile hard points it just doesn't have the umph that it should. It DOES have the benefit of the Griffin chassis maneuverability, though, and that's an instabuy for some.

I see the LPL + Mlas Sparky build thrown around often and I'm not really convinced by it. I'd say stop beating around the bush on that one and just drop the LPL and downgrade to a Firestarter S for double the damage and longevity.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users