Windows 10

128 replies to this topic

#41 Bill Lumbar

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Death Star
  • 2,073 posts

Posted 22 January 2015 - 05:25 PM

View PostCatamount, on 22 January 2015 - 05:04 PM, said:

Then either you're running it with your monitor turned off, or your standard of "rebranded 8.1" is that is shares the common features of all Windows OSes. As per usual, I find your arguments lack any actual reference to anything specific.

So far we haven't even established why you've worked so hard to hate 8.1 let alone whether 10 shares those supposed problems. If the problems were that dire and apparent I would have thought that you'd have been able to elaborate on at least one in the, like, dozen plus posts you've made expressing your hatred of Microsoft, Windows, Windows 8, Intel, kittens, ketchup... Bill, you're dragging me down here with all this negativity here, c'mon :P

Why are you looking on the MS website? The MS website isn't going to post updated builds because they just post install ISOs. Updating Windows is handled from within the OS, not on a web browser. The MS website isn't even capable of telling you if an update is available for your build because it has no idea what build you're running. I just, "website", like, I don't even

Posted Image

Hit the Windows key, type "windows update", hit "check for updates" when it appears, hit the magic buttons to make it go and have your OPERATING SYSTEM check for updates, not a website. First check under the Preview Builds tab, because there is an updated build for you. If it doesn't appear, then switch the toggle from slow to fast. Then when you've done that, check under the Windows Update tab for more specific files.

If you're come away from your attempt being told or thinking there's no update available, you've done something wrong.

Build 9879 is the latest build as far as I know and it's not a new build. It's been around for quite some time.

If you can't make Windows Update function (???) then here's the ISO for 9879 directly

http://go.microsoft..../?LinkId=518575

It's funny, and yet, even if it was a valid objection (I would argue that if you can't figure out how to use a UI from 1996, the OS isn't your problem :P) Windows 10 doesn't use the Metro Interface, so it's still not a valid objection.

Now, you seem to understand this, and yet Bill is claiming it's also his objection, and yet then he claims 10 is the same, when it doesn't even use this inferface.

LOL... thanks for the link Cata... but I just have to shake my head at your replies man. Ummm yeah I know how to update windows OS, in the OS and through the control panel and Windows update. I don't know whats up with the build... it says no new updates can be installed/builds can be found. Obviously build 9841 seems to be a dead end and they are not allowing it to be updated any longer? IDK, but I will just reinstall a clean updated build.

I only referenced the MS website because it states on there when you check for the download for Windows 10 download that at this time its not ready and coming soon. What part of what I had said did you not understand? Maybe I am just getting flash backs of the Metro UI when I look at the very plain ass desk top.... Honestly, who cares "why" I don't like it, or If I am just not feeling MS plans for the future right now, it really doesn't matter. Do you need me to explain point by point by point by point what I don't like about it? :huh:

Edited by Bill Lumbar, 22 January 2015 - 06:05 PM.

#42 Catamount

• LIEUTENANT, JUNIOR GRADE
  • 3,305 posts
  • LocationBoone, NC

Posted 22 January 2015 - 06:26 PM

View PostBill Lumbar, on 22 January 2015 - 05:25 PM, said:

I only referenced the MS website because it states on there when you check for the download for Windows 10 download that at this time its not ready and coming soon. What part of what I had said did you not understand?

The part where checking it it makes sense as any kind of a diagnostic step? Surely my confusion is not so hard to understand. I had/have no idea where you were going with MS's website.

Maybe I am just getting flash backs of the Metro UI when I look at the very plain ass desk top.... Honestly, who cares "why" I don't like it, or If I am just not feeling MS plans for the future right now, it really doesn't matter. Do you need me to explain point by point by point by point what I don't like about it? :huh:

Well if you just said "I don't like it because I'm intrinsically inclined to hate Windows" I'd think you're strange, but the argument would at least be basically logical.

Saying it's the same as 8 is not logical, especially when you reference Metro as your problem with 8, because 10 doesn't use Metro. Likewise, plain ass desktop is not a descriptor that explains a problem. Every OS UI has a plain-ass desktop. OSX, Windows [insert version], KDE, Gnome, Unity, my Nexus 10's copy of Android 4.4. They all have the same visual elements, though Gnome/Unity have less usable space for basic icons than the rest because they have... other icons in a special sidebar (wut?)

Important? No. Curious? Absolutely.

Anyways, bottom line is update W10 and it'll play more nicely, maybe

Edited by Catamount, 22 January 2015 - 06:30 PM.

#43 Bill Lumbar

• Death Star
  • 2,073 posts

Posted 22 January 2015 - 06:56 PM

View PostCatamount, on 22 January 2015 - 06:26 PM, said:

The part where checking it it makes sense as any kind of a diagnostic step? Surely my confusion is not so hard to understand. I had/have no idea where you were going with MS's website.

Well if you just said "I don't like it because I'm intrinsically inclined to hate Windows" I'd think you're strange, but the argument would at least be basically logical.

Saying it's the same as 8 is not logical, especially when you reference Metro as your problem with 8, because 10 doesn't use Metro. Likewise, plain ass desktop is not a descriptor that explains a problem. Every OS UI has a plain-ass desktop. OSX, Windows [insert version], KDE, Gnome, Unity, my Nexus 10's copy of Android 4.4. They all have the same visual elements, though Gnome/Unity have less usable space for basic icons than the rest because they have... other icons in a special sidebar (wut?)

Important? No. Curious? Absolutely.

Anyways, bottom line is update W10 and it'll play more nicely, maybe

I am not a windows hater.... I am mean come on seriously Cata, I was fine with Vista, loved 7... but as Vass pointed out in that picture he posted, Its not just the metro UI that looks like that. Just finished a game CW running 10 in 64 bit client.

Here is the results,

2015-01-22 21:08:35 - MWOClient
Frames: 15822 - Time: 500547ms - Avg: 31.609 - Min: 16 - Max: 90

2015-01-22 21:17:00 - MWOClient
Frames: 16288 - Time: 481328ms - Avg: 33.840 - Min: 19 - Max: 96

2015-01-22 21:25:05 - MWOClient
Frames: 5682 - Time: 155219ms - Avg: 36.606 - Min: 21 - Max: 77

Download just finished and I will be installing the new build now.

Edited by Bill Lumbar, 22 January 2015 - 06:56 PM.

#44 Tumbling Dice

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 126 posts
  • LocationThe Outer Limits of the Twilight Zone

Posted 22 January 2015 - 07:46 PM

I run the Tech Preview of 10 and I have no problem with it. But then again, I've never really had a problem with any Windows OS going back to '95. Most glitches are caused by 3rd party software, and that is not entirely MSFT's fault. Windows 10 will be the best thing that's happened to PC's since the USB. And you just may no longer need 3rd party firewall or anti-virus. Talk about software that causes issues. There's two examples.

I stand corrected by myself. I did have an issue syncing OneDrive in 10 so I just don't use it there. Maybe I should try it again. Anybody else using OneDrive with 10?

Edited by Wolfiac, 22 January 2015 - 07:49 PM.

#45 Bill Lumbar

• Death Star
  • 2,073 posts

Posted 22 January 2015 - 08:05 PM

View PostWolfiac, on 22 January 2015 - 07:46 PM, said:

I run the Tech Preview of 10 and I have no problem with it. But then again, I've never really had a problem with any Windows OS going back to '95. Most glitches are caused by 3rd party software, and that is not entirely MSFT's fault. Windows 10 will be the best thing that's happened to PC's since the USB. And you just may no longer need 3rd party firewall or anti-virus. Talk about software that causes issues. There's two examples.

I stand corrected by myself. I did have an issue syncing OneDrive in 10 so I just don't use it there. Maybe I should try it again. Anybody else using OneDrive with 10?

Ummm yeah... you really don't need a third party anti-virus right now for Window 7, I have been running Serurity essentsials for a few years now.

I have the OS installed now, and am getting ready to install MWO as soon as I am done updating.

#46 Keira RAVEN McKenna

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 878 posts
  • LocationAuckland ...but summer has gone and the tears now flow

Posted 22 January 2015 - 08:23 PM

I must be an oddball because I LOVE 8.1. It drives just like a phone

#47 Tarl Cabot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,659 posts
  • LocationImperial City, Luthien - Draconis Combine

Posted 22 January 2015 - 08:41 PM

View PostKeira RAVEN McKenna, on 22 January 2015 - 08:23 PM, said:

I must be an oddball because I LOVE 8.1. It drives just like a phone

You still using a rotary!?!?! :)

#48 Keira RAVEN McKenna

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 878 posts
  • LocationAuckland ...but summer has gone and the tears now flow

Posted 22 January 2015 - 08:57 PM

View PostTarl Cabot, on 22 January 2015 - 08:41 PM, said:

You still using a rotary!?!?! :)

No, I had an RX8 but needed more space for snowboarding and kite surfing so traded it for an Evo9. I did like how the doors opened atay from each other to make a big space to get stuff in, but there is no where to get that stuff into...

Edited by Keira RAVEN McKenna, 22 January 2015 - 08:58 PM.

#49 Oderint dum Metuant

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,758 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 23 January 2015 - 02:34 AM

View PostVassago Rain, on 22 January 2015 - 04:59 PM, said:

Posted Image

Windows 8 was a bit like UI 2.0, except UI 2.0 is attached to a game, and so doesn't bother my daily computer usage.

Anyway, water under the bridge. Windows 8 is getting flushed, so it doesn't matter anymore. I'll 'upgrade' the windows 7 on my countless laptops to the factory windows 8, then transform that into 10.

A tiled interface is hardly a new prospect in the year 2000's with your apple sheep phones and etc.
and besides if people are unable to wrap their brains around the 8.1 metro tile system there is this really easy to find super option.

Posted Image

#50 Bill Lumbar

• Death Star
  • 2,073 posts

Posted 23 January 2015 - 03:40 AM

View PostDV McKenna, on 23 January 2015 - 02:34 AM, said:

A tiled interface is hardly a new prospect in the year 2000's with your apple sheep phones and etc.
and besides if people are unable to wrap their brains around the 8.1 metro tile system there is this really easy to find super option.

Posted Image

Your right, since that option is now in the settings, ummmm that is great! Options are a good thing and I have always liked an OS that give you the tools to mod and play with the looks of it over one that is set in stone. IMO, Tiles on a cell phone or tab or touch screen laptop as the norm = fine, acceptable, tiles on a desktop or metro UI, = bad.

I let everything run its course over night, updated the new install of 9879, (again thanks for the link Cata) and let the game install and patch out. I haven't dropped yet in a game but I will do some test runs with fraps and make some videos of game play and give it a go around.

One of my biggest concerns with MS and Windows boils down to just how much info does MS collect and share about its customers that run 8 and 8.1. with third parties freely, with out one ever even knowing what has been shared. Some of you may not be concerned with such issues, I however am. I used to use Ubuntu more then Mint, but stopped using Ubuntu entirely about two years ago once they started down that path also.

The Irony of the German goverment considering a ban on the X-box one and yet we roar and stand in lines and can't get one fast enough for our self or kids to get it in our homes.

"The German government coming out and stating that the Xbox One is a monitoring device. The Federal Data Protection Commissioner for Berlin, Peter Schaar, has said "Under the heading, game device 'Microsoft pushes a monitoring device in the market. The Xbox continuously records all sorts of personal information about me. Reaction rates, my learning or emotional states. The are then processed on an external server, and possibly even passed on to third parties. Whether they will ever deleted, the person can not influence".

#51 Flapdrol

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,986 posts

Posted 23 January 2015 - 03:44 AM

I don't mind the tiled interface, for me nothing changed since vista: press windows key, type what you want, press enter.

#52 Bill Lumbar

• Death Star
  • 2,073 posts

Posted 23 January 2015 - 04:09 AM

Even after updating last night, and right now, I can't launch the 64 bit client of MWO again. I will have to go back and add several things and install them from MS website before I can, just like the older build of Windows 10. For MS to claim this is gonna be the OS geared for gaming and yet it doesn't come with some of the very needed things, like DX files, etc. etc... leaves me shaking my head. Yeah... I know, its just a Technical Preview....but I just find it funny.

#53 Flapdrol

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,986 posts

Posted 23 January 2015 - 04:19 AM

Did you run the visual studio and directx redistributable? Should be a link in the 64bit client announcement.

#54 Bill Lumbar

• Death Star
  • 2,073 posts

Posted 23 January 2015 - 04:47 AM

View PostFlapdrol, on 23 January 2015 - 04:19 AM, said:

Did you run the visual studio and directx redistributable? Should be a link in the 64bit client announcement.

Not yet.....that is one of the things I had to do with the other test build also. Working on it.

Edited by Bill Lumbar, 23 January 2015 - 04:48 AM.

#55 Sjorpha

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,475 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 23 January 2015 - 05:02 AM

Complaining about the default settings on an OS is a little like judging an IS mech by it's stock loadout, at least if you are computer savvy. What's interesting is what the OS can do and how well it runs, not how it ships. I haven't had much problems with win8.1, it is working just fine.

What determines an upgrade to 10 or not for me is going to be bootcamp support and stability, since I'm running my gaming on a partition in a dual booted macbook pro where the mac partition is for work, I need to now there are no risks involved as far as compromising my dual boot setup. That probably means waiting a year or two, which is fine, I doubt any games i wanna play is gonna drop win 8 compatibility anytime soon.

#56 Bill Lumbar

• Death Star
  • 2,073 posts

Posted 23 January 2015 - 05:16 AM

And we are up and running.

#57 Bill Lumbar

• Death Star
  • 2,073 posts

Posted 23 January 2015 - 05:35 AM

First game played in 64 bit client and all my settings are the same as on my Windows 7 rig, except I turned Particals down to medium instead of on High.

This is a normal pug match in solo

2015-01-23 08:21:13 - MWOClient
Frames: 13226 - Time: 416343ms - Avg: 31.767 - Min: 14 - Max: 89

Frames are worse and I notice some choppy game play where as I don't in Windows 7.

I am also seeing my 7970 hit temps in the high 60's-70 ish range, and that is not normal for my card to see.

Edited by Bill Lumbar, 23 January 2015 - 05:43 AM.

#58 xWiredx

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,805 posts

Posted 23 January 2015 - 05:53 AM

Considering the first couple of gents don't have the same performance woes, I'm still suspecting something else specific to your machine. Wouldn't bother troubleshooting it on a test platform, though. Not when they release a new build or major set of patches every 2-4 weeks.

#59 Bill Lumbar

• Death Star
  • 2,073 posts

Posted 23 January 2015 - 06:06 AM

View PostxWiredx, on 23 January 2015 - 05:53 AM, said:

Considering the first couple of gents don't have the same performance woes, I'm still suspecting something else specific to your machine. Wouldn't bother troubleshooting it on a test platform, though. Not when they release a new build or major set of patches every 2-4 weeks.

Yeah..... I am kinda thinking the same thing.... maybe its updates? I am running the Omega driver on my 7970, I don't believe that is it. The only thing I can think of off hand would be the 7200 rpm older seagate hardrives vs. my Samsung SSD drive running Windows 7. So with out a extra SSD to test it on, this would really not be a fair testing bed for Windows 10 TP, but it is interesting to say the least. I think I might have an extra Seagate Hybrid drive with 64 mb cach I could try it out on, but I will have to dig it out. I only have around 25 updates installed, so not sure if Its fully updated yet.

#60 cSand

• 4,589 posts
  • LocationCanada, eh

Posted 23 January 2015 - 01:26 PM

Well, I would attribute almost every problem to the fact that you are playing a preview OS

IE, no drivers have been written for it, or optimized, as they have been for 7 or 8.1. (8 doesn't exist in my mind, like Vista, lol)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users