717 replies to this topic

#1 Raggedyman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,278 posts
  • LocationFreedonia Institute of Mech Husbandry

Posted 01 February 2015 - 01:00 AM

Have just come out of a public match where it 11 to 2 with 5 minutes to go, and folks were very happily reporting the remaining enemy unit for cheating because he hadn't presented himself to their presence for immediate execution (as apparently was his duty). This isn't the first time I've seen it, and I'm quite sure it isn't the last, but it continues to boil my blood.

The rules are "15 minutes or all enemy dead", not 'till you think you should have the win', so either get off your butt and make all enemy dead (especially if you have 10 mechs to find them with) or get off your butt and get PGI to change the rules set so that the game stops and gives the victory at a different point.

Don't report some guy for not wanting to get perished, or who think they have or might actually have the plan and the skills to stage a comeback, and who is actually playing within the rules set. Work for your win, don't moan for it or demand it to satisfy your ego or whatever schedule the rest of the world must follow during your leisure time.

People like you are the reason we don't have a decent reporting system, because you'll end up reporting for anything you view to be an infraction of your own personal 'how the game must be played' listing (which currently includes "losing the match", "reversing when /I/ wouldn't", "friendly fire in the middle of a brawl", "having an overly colourful paintjob" and "using LRMs/ballistics/lasers/clanmechs".)

Just play the damn game, and if someone being alive angers you that much then find them and take it out on their damn hull!

Request to PGI for their interpretation of the issues discussed on the thread.

PGI's response

Edited by Raggedyman, 13 February 2015 - 04:41 AM.

#2 Vassago Rain

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 14,396 posts
  • LocationExodus fleet, HMS Kong Circumflex accent

Posted 01 February 2015 - 01:13 AM

No one tolerates having their time wasted.

#3 badaa

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 735 posts

Posted 01 February 2015 - 01:20 AM

no one really reports people for this.

#4 Raggedyman

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,278 posts

Posted 01 February 2015 - 01:22 AM

View PostVassago Rain, on 01 February 2015 - 01:13 AM, said:

No one tolerates having their time wasted.

Then maybe not play an MMO when more people have an input than just the individual?

Or petition PGI to change the victory conditions to something more efficient and in-keeping with your hectic life.
First team to 10 kills or 85% of the enemy total armor gone?

View Postbadaa, on 01 February 2015 - 01:20 AM, said:

no one really reports people for this.

TBH I pray you are right but we have no way of knowing (least not that I am aware of) as you never get to see if you've been reported or what the result was.

#5 badaa

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 735 posts

Posted 01 February 2015 - 01:24 AM

you shouldn't sweat it even if people do report, pgi isn't going to waste there time on it

#6 Wrathful Scythe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Sickle
  • The Sickle
  • 715 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 01 February 2015 - 01:27 AM

Well, if someone decides to hide the rest of the game with his ECM locust... yes, I would gladly sell him out or ask the enemy team for coordinates.
If he tries to get 1-2 kills with his ERLL and is playing defensively then no, I wouldn't mind.

If you get reported for beeing the last man standing then PGI will do nothing, because it's not against the rules. Somebody is always the last to get killed. On the other hand, I think you can get punished for hiding on the map while everyone is dead.

#7 Raggedyman

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,278 posts

Posted 01 February 2015 - 01:39 AM

View Postbadaa, on 01 February 2015 - 01:24 AM, said:

you shouldn't sweat it even if people do report, pgi isn't going to waste there time on it

Even if they don't issue any punishment PGI will have wasted time on it, as they will have had to have opened and read the report before making any decision.

Plus even if it's 99.999% likely that nothing will happen it's still vexing for the individual being reported as
1 - they don't know if they have actually been reported
2 - they don't know if they have actually been acquitted
3 - they don't know if the reports stack up on them over time
4 - there is the chance that someone could hit the wrong button and sanction them

Not 'oh my god, the sky is falling!' bad, but yelling "I R REPORTING U 4 PLAYING WRONGS!!" is going to reduce the otherwise pleasant atmosphere of the game.

#8 Raggedyman

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,278 posts

Posted 01 February 2015 - 01:43 AM

View PostWrathful Scythe, on 01 February 2015 - 01:27 AM, said:

If you get reported for beeing the last man standing then PGI will do nothing, because it's not against the rules. Somebody is always the last to get killed. On the other hand, I think you can get punished for hiding on the map while everyone is dead.

So if there is a definition of 'hiding' then put it into the mechanics. Something like "you get the win if the other team is down to one person and they haven't shot within the last minute".

Edited by Raggedyman, 01 February 2015 - 02:10 AM.

#9 Duke Nedo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2023 Top 12 Qualifier
  • CS 2023 Top 12 Qualifier
  • 2,184 posts

Posted 01 February 2015 - 01:44 AM

Hiding = no problem
Disconnecting = dishonorable
Overheating/oob = dishonorable

#10 Risko Vinsheen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 573 posts

Posted 01 February 2015 - 01:48 AM

I only ever ask for or give away the last guy's position if he's a disconnect or afk. If he's actually there then I won't do it. It's a loss either way, so why draw it out if the guy's not even able to try staging a comeback?

#11 Tahribator

• Fire
  • Fire
  • 1,565 posts

Posted 01 February 2015 - 01:52 AM

In my experience this only happens when:
  • The last pilot is disconnected.
  • The last pilot is AFK.
  • The last pilot is an ******* that shuts down in the middle of nowhere and disconnects to troll the remaining players.
  • The last pilot actively refuses to fight for a long time (4-5 minutes) despite repeated calls from both teams.

It does not happen when:
  • You're actually trying to fight the enemy team.
  • Communicate with your team properly and tell your intentions without saying "STFU ur dead".

#12 Ratpoison

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 851 posts

Posted 01 February 2015 - 02:05 AM

View PostWrathful Scythe, on 01 February 2015 - 01:27 AM, said:

Well, if someone decides to hide the rest of the game with his ECM locust... yes, I would gladly sell him out or ask the enemy team for coordinates.
If he tries to get 1-2 kills with his ERLL and is playing defensively then no, I wouldn't mind.

And I'd gladly report you for assisting the enemy team. Hiding as the last man standing is the best way to get the enemy to split up and make themselves vulnerable to a kill or two, and if you don't like it then you need to uncheck Skirmish from your game mode selection, because that's part of the game and it is NOT against the rules. Helping the enemy team, however, is blatantly against those rules. Entitled brats reporting people just because they don't want to wait 3 minutes or drop in a different mech is why support is always so backed up.

#13 XtremWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 551 posts
  • LocationFrance

Posted 01 February 2015 - 02:06 AM

Well i don't know the right answer here.

My position is mostly that this is just a game and i really don't understand why you would power down and hide instead of trying something. I mean you are playing a robot game where you crush robots while having your robot crushed.
Why stoping that and just watch your monitor till the end of the match? You're wasting your time instead of trying to have fun making an ultimate stand. In worst case you'll die and just wait a lot less time before launching another (perhaps more lucky) game.
Really, i don't understand that type of attitude.

#14 DaniBot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • 176 posts

Posted 01 February 2015 - 02:07 AM

If somebody shuts down in a corner without even even having sight on possible passing by enemies and 23 people have to wait the rest of the game it is just a waste of time and idiotic.

People could have used that time to let Teh_MechPron continue on a different map but all they did was watching some n00b's cockpit and all his silly items in it while trying to save his 0.5 K/D because teh_internet told him he had to.

TL;DR:
  • If one is actively not contributing to the teams victory and refuses to spot, outmaneuver, destroy the enemy and shuts down, one's position will be revealed by myself.

Edited by DaniBot, 01 February 2015 - 02:08 AM.

#15 Rushin Roulette

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • WC 2018 Top 12 Qualifier
  • WC 2018 Top 12 Qualifier
  • 3,514 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 01 February 2015 - 02:16 AM

This is not a punishable offence. Even if the last mech runs off to a random corner and shuts down.
As long as the "offending" player participated during a fight and dealt any form of damage to the enemy team, then he is not in breach of any rules. Staff members have already answered this in the past. Hiding if you are against an overwhelming opposition is a valid tactic and in the case of conquest can even mean a loss for the team with 10 mechs left if they are out-capped by the last opponent.

#16 AssaultPig

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 907 posts

Posted 01 February 2015 - 02:23 AM

if you're not trying to win the match, GTFO

#17 Wrathful Scythe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Sickle
  • The Sickle
  • 715 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 01 February 2015 - 02:29 AM

View PosttortuousGoddess, on 01 February 2015 - 02:05 AM, said:

And I'd gladly report you for assisting the enemy team. Hiding as the last man standing is the best way to get the enemy to split up and make themselves vulnerable to a kill or two, and if you don't like it then you need to uncheck Skirmish from your game mode selection, because that's part of the game and it is NOT against the rules. Helping the enemy team, however, is blatantly against those rules. Entitled brats reporting people just because they don't want to wait 3 minutes or drop in a different mech is why support is always so backed up.

Be my guest.

I don't think you understood what I meant. Someone who is willing to fight is not a problem. Those who power down in of the volcanos on terra therma to not ruin their K/D are the problem.

#18 Razimir

• PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 01 February 2015 - 02:38 AM

View PostRaggedyman, on 01 February 2015 - 01:00 AM, said:

Don't report some guy for not wanting to get perished, or who think they have or might actually have the plan and the skills to stage a comeback, and who is actually playing within the rules set. Work for your win, don't moan for it or demand it to satisfy

It is because those powered down ******** are wasting 24 people's time. Yup, he is wasting his own time too, unless he already disconnected. Shorter matches, more drops, shorter waiting times... Imo the selfish ones are those who are trying to maintain their KD ratio by hiding, without a chance of winning.

-Raz

Edited by Razimir, 01 February 2015 - 02:47 AM.

#19 HlynkaCG

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 1,263 posts
  • LocationSitting on a 12x multiplier and voting for Terra Therma

Posted 01 February 2015 - 02:38 AM

If I am the last mech alive I will ask my teammates which (if any) of the enemy are badly hurt. If I don't get an answer I will simply hide or play keep-away for the remainder of the match in the hopes of getting lucky enough to catch an opponent alone before the match ends.

If you have a problem with that, don't play Skirmish.

Edited by HlynkaCG, 01 February 2015 - 02:48 AM.

#20 Raggedyman

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,278 posts

Posted 01 February 2015 - 02:41 AM

View PostRazimir, on 01 February 2015 - 02:38 AM, said:

It is because those powered down ******** are wasting 24 people's time. Yup, he is wasting his own time too, unless he already disconnected.

-Raz

Find them, kill them. Next round.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users