Marik Invasion

387 replies to this topic

#1 Der Hesse

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 545 posts

Posted 09 February 2015 - 01:42 AM

So i heared that the frist planet Marik took was arranged because there was hope they could go north and attack the Clans.
But now they have 10 of our Planets and will have Dieron in a few hours (over 50% atm.). They completely severed us from terra by now.
So what´s up? Do we have another enemy?
I really want to know since i thought Marik were our allies and didnt drop to defend due to that.

Might be good to hear a voice from the high council regarding this.

#2 SnagaDance

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 1,860 posts
  • LocationThe Netherlands

Posted 09 February 2015 - 01:53 AM

As far as I know (and I'm not really in the loop atm), there was indeed the hope that Marik forces could attack in another direction. But the target was not really the Clans but House Steiner. Kurita being attacked from 3 sides (Clans, Davion, Steiner) and Marik already being in a conflict with Steiner, a non-aggression pack with Liao and intermittent cease fires with Davion.

The taking of more Kurita planets towards Terra is to remove the Kurita front with Steiner so that Kurita only has 2 enemies left to deal with instead of 3. Seems weird but because there is no true alliance concept in the game we cannot help defend your planets without actually owning them.

#3 Reitmeier

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hunter
  • The Hunter
  • 955 posts
  • LocationHessen

Posted 09 February 2015 - 01:54 AM

First of all the wormhole was a test to get Marik a clanborder but the attacklane brought them always to the south and not to the north. Of course we are not happy with the idea that Marik can now take our planets on free to see if they will ever reach the clanborder.
We told the Marik Highcommand to stop and they accepted that and told me that they will ask again if Dieron will be a attackoption. Unfortunately they keep attacking our planets and leave their borders with Steiners/Davion for this.
We from the HK HC are not happy with this and will talk to Mariks Command again to see how we can solve this problem.
Personally the current situation with the attacks of marik are a big concern for me joining the nSL.

Edited by Reitmeier, 09 February 2015 - 01:55 AM.

#4 hopterque

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 412 posts

Posted 09 February 2015 - 02:08 AM

We had some drama with it overnight too Reitmeier, but had someone from Marik HC in our teamspeak talking with Scoops and a couple of the NS guys I think. My understanding was that the renewed Marik incursion isn't endorsed by their HC but that it's just a merc group starting some stuff and pugs following the bandwagon.

#5 dervishx5

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Workhorse
  • The Workhorse
  • 3,473 posts

Posted 09 February 2015 - 02:08 AM

The mercenary unit MS joined marik and is attacking whoever they feel like. There's not really much we can do about it but give you back the worlds when they leave.

#6 Koshirou

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 827 posts

Posted 09 February 2015 - 03:09 AM

Okay, so can we begin taking the planets back now? And will Marik units refrain from defending them?

#7 dervishx5

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Workhorse
  • The Workhorse
  • 3,473 posts

Posted 09 February 2015 - 03:26 AM

You could, and loyal marik units won't stop you, but ms probably will because they want games.

#8 MadC4t

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 108 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationGermany

Posted 09 February 2015 - 06:12 AM

View Postdervishx5, on 09 February 2015 - 03:26 AM, said:

You could, and loyal marik units won't stop you, but ms probably will because they want games.

Sorry to say...
But yesterday evening me and my unit (36th Dieron) tried to get a Planet from Kurita (that was conquered from Marik) back.
We got defenders several times once -MS- and rest are PUGs with Unit-Tags...

For me it looks like no one listen to the Marik Council?

And I dont remeber that Steiner has attacked Kurita the last few Days...
We dont attack them, and they dont attack us.

Correct me if i´m wrong. ;)

#9 Molossian Dog

• 1,393 posts

Posted 09 February 2015 - 07:11 AM

View PostMadC4t, on 09 February 2015 - 06:12 AM, said:

...But yesterday evening me and my unit (36th Dieron) tried to get a Planet from Kurita (that was conquered from Marik) back.
We got defenders several times once -MS- and rest are PUGs with Unit-Tags...

One of them was one of our unit members. That was a mistake. We informed him and the rest of our guys that we should not defend. That is as soon as we found out. Other units should do the same.

Frankly speaking, the horsetrading with that island left everyone on both sides confused, not knowing if and when to attack or defend to mess with the algorithim and make it do what both sides would like.

And then there are people, like said MegaMercs, who do whatever they want.

But the term Marik Invasion is a bit too much. That would look different.

Edited by Molossian Dog, 09 February 2015 - 07:13 AM.

#10 Reitmeier

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hunter
  • The Hunter
  • 955 posts
  • LocationHessen

Posted 09 February 2015 - 07:46 AM

View PostMolossian Dog, on 09 February 2015 - 07:11 AM, said:

But the term Marik Invasion is a bit too much. That would look different.

Lets talk in a week again and see what Mercs will join MS

#11 Molossian Dog

• 1,393 posts

Posted 09 February 2015 - 08:13 AM

From my personal point of view:

I hope none.

#12 Alexander Steel

• The Hunter
  • The Hunter
  • 1,031 posts

Posted 09 February 2015 - 08:22 AM

Look on the bright side, once they take all of your world's, none of your worlds will be attacked by the clans. :ph34r:

#13 Ultra-Laser

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 298 posts

Posted 09 February 2015 - 02:56 PM

So as I understand it

-The Kurita-Marik stargate project isn't working out as hoped because the algorithm wants there to be only one blob of purple on the map at once so their being forced to move south to reconnect their territories. HK command is fine with this. And Kurita units only have permission to clean up after them by taking worlds that don't give them a path to a clan front or Free Worlds League space.

--MS- only cares about tagging planets so they attack indiscriminately, taking worlds that neither take them closer to clan space or Marik turf. Marik command never ordered this and couldn't make them stop even if they wanted to.

This means, for the people who care.

-There is nothing stopping mercs from violating non-aggression packs between factions. This is a problem. If mercs can't be fired then they can ignore any orders from their "employers" (a severe misnomer, as there is currently no way to turn down contracts at all) and spread their tags all over with no negative consequence to their unit. Conversely, if your faction has the misfortune of having a rash of such mercs take worlds from a faction you actually DO want to stay friends with then there is every chance they won't believe you didn't send those merc units out with your High Commands say so. Remember that near-blowout between Stiener and Davion a few days ago when some merc unit took New Earth? We're going to be seeing a lot more of that, and eventually its going to end in pain and despair.

--MS- confirmed for honorless ronin.

Am I close enough to the mark?

Edited by IDG, 09 February 2015 - 02:56 PM.

#14 Molossian Dog

• 1,393 posts

Posted 09 February 2015 - 03:03 PM

I think you are, but then I am nowhere near a command position in House Marik.

And in regards to the stargate: Frankly all I can tell you for sure at the moment is that we are not supposed to defend against Kurita in the island. If that means all of it or just Kuzuu (yesterday) I do not know.

View PostIDG, on 09 February 2015 - 02:56 PM, said:

...-There is nothing stopping mercs from violating non-aggression packs between factions....

Technically there is no hardcoded measure stopping anyone from violating NAPs. Merc, Loyalist, whatever.

Except peer pressure. Which, naturally, works better with people in close contact to the respective Houses.

Edited by Molossian Dog, 09 February 2015 - 03:04 PM.

#15 Vassago Rain

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 14,396 posts
  • LocationExodus fleet, HMS Kong Circumflex accent

Posted 09 February 2015 - 03:20 PM

View PostIDG, on 09 February 2015 - 02:56 PM, said:

So as I understand it

-The Kurita-Marik stargate project isn't working out as hoped because the algorithm wants there to be only one blob of purple on the map at once so their being forced to move south to reconnect their territories. HK command is fine with this. And Kurita units only have permission to clean up after them by taking worlds that don't give them a path to a clan front or Free Worlds League space.

--MS- only cares about tagging planets so they attack indiscriminately, taking worlds that neither take them closer to clan space or Marik turf. Marik command never ordered this and couldn't make them stop even if they wanted to.

This means, for the people who care.

-There is nothing stopping mercs from violating non-aggression packs between factions. This is a problem. If mercs can't be fired then they can ignore any orders from their "employers" (a severe misnomer, as there is currently no way to turn down contracts at all) and spread their tags all over with no negative consequence to their unit. Conversely, if your faction has the misfortune of having a rash of such mercs take worlds from a faction you actually DO want to stay friends with then there is every chance they won't believe you didn't send those merc units out with your High Commands say so. Remember that near-blowout between Stiener and Davion a few days ago when some merc unit took New Earth? We're going to be seeing a lot more of that, and eventually its going to end in pain and despair.

--MS- confirmed for honorless ronin.

Am I close enough to the mark?

Attacking for fat loot and epic gains isn't dishonorable. Farming turrets and weaksauce scrublords is.

I have attached an ancient kuritan painting detailing the proper honor restoration procedure.

Posted Image

#16 Roadbeer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 8,160 posts
  • LocationWazan, Zion Cluster

Posted 09 February 2015 - 03:23 PM

The plan was for tonight, to attempt to trade worlds to see if we can kick the algorithm north, we were going to coordinate with DCMS and SRPH to achieve this in rapid order so we could all get back on the Clans.

Now with a false flag being run on Liao, I don't know how we can effectively do any manipulation of the island for the remainder of the week, given a rogue element at play.

#17 Scoops Kerensky

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 716 posts

Posted 09 February 2015 - 03:46 PM

View PostRoadbeer, on 09 February 2015 - 03:23 PM, said:

The plan was for tonight, to attempt to trade worlds to see if we can kick the algorithm north, we were going to coordinate with DCMS and SRPH to achieve this in rapid order so we could all get back on the Clans.

Now with a false flag being run on Liao, I don't know how we can effectively do any manipulation of the island for the remainder of the week, given a rogue element at play.

Like Roadbeer says, its mostly been the high commands of both factions trying to intermittently play with the attack pathing to bump it on a northward trajectory to attack the clans. Marik 'invasion' isn't really correct here, and there's been no damage to Marik-Kurita relations on either side.

Unfortunately our seperate high commands only speak for so many players, from what we understand -MS- and Marik high command aren't on the best of terms at the moment, which has led to the wormhole project being a casualty of it.

For now, all Kurita players should feel free to join in and help us close the wormhole experiment as we haven't been able to get it working, just be warned that there's a high likelihood of running into -MS- premades at the moment until they move on to their next contract.

Edited by Socop, 09 February 2015 - 03:47 PM.

#18 Ultra-Laser

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 298 posts

Posted 09 February 2015 - 04:03 PM

View PostMolossian Dog, on 09 February 2015 - 03:03 PM, said:

Technically there is no hardcoded measure stopping anyone from violating NAPs. Merc, Loyalist, whatever.

Except peer pressure. Which, naturally, works better with people in close contact to the respective Houses.

That's my chief concern. Kurita has had a huge influx of mercs recently, both big names like the Comstar Irregulars and a bunch of smaller units I don't recognize. Some of them make an effort to keep up with overall house directives so they know their doing the most good, but some of them act more like brigands, fighting on whatever front they fancy and not caring whether the planet needs JUST ONE MORE WIN before ceasefire of if it been hopelessly held at 100% for the past three hours. So far we haven't had any real problems with them outright attacking people we said not to attack (I think there might have been a bit of a flare up with the FRR a few days weeks ago, but not having hear anything of it sense then I assume its cleared itself up) but I still nervously count the days until their contracts expire and, having smeared their name across the length and breadth of Kuitan space, flit toward the next faction and just fight for whoever PGI thinks should be paying the most next time. I very strongly feel that a factions fair-weather fans are a curse in disguise as good fortune.

I know it sounds like I'm being to hard on the various merc groups out there, so let me give a shout out to the Phoenix Legion and Cameron's Highlanders. You guys have been making visible contributions to the Combine's war effort and your laudable blen of skill and sportsmanship gives me a clear sign that not all merc units are just in it for the c-bills.

View PostSocop, on 09 February 2015 - 03:46 PM, said:

Unfortunately our seperate high commands only speak for so many players, from what we understand -MS- and Marik high command aren't on the best of terms at the moment, which has led to the wormhole project being a casualty of it.

Is the tension with -MS- due to the attack on Kuritan space or is this not the first time they've gone off the handle? If this is a problem that multiple faction leaders are facing then we could consider lobbying PGI to make a larger priority of refining and expanding the contract and loyalty system, perhaps start talking about a proper diplomacy system as well.

Sad to hear about the stargate idea falling apart. I was really looking forward to the grand showdown between House Purple Burd and Clan Green Burd.

Edited by IDG, 09 February 2015 - 04:11 PM.

#19 Ilithi Dragon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 475 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationWazan

Posted 09 February 2015 - 04:29 PM

MS seems to be doing whatever MS wants to be doing, regardless of established NAPs, cease-fires, alliances, experiment collaborations, etc., and they're big enough to make a significant impact wherever they go, unfortunately.

#20 Roadbeer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 8,160 posts
  • LocationWazan, Zion Cluster

Posted 09 February 2015 - 04:36 PM

I'm curious as to what you mean by "shutting down the wormhole experiment"?

FWIW, now that that donut hole is closing up, there's only two directions it can go. Though, I think any attempts at trying to manipulate it in any direction, and expending time doing it for the rest of the week is moot. But once we're able to attempt to conduct its path on our terms, I believe we should revisit trying to get it to work.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users