LRM Missle Boat Missle

49 replies to this topic

#1 Night Thastus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 825 posts

Posted 13 February 2015 - 10:23 AM

I have three smurfy builds I'm looking at.
I was wondering, what's better,

4x LRM 10's
3x LRM 15's
2x LRM 20's

Thanks!

Here are the links to the builds:

LRM 10: http://mwo.smurfy-ne...5adf66928ad7f4d

LRM 15: http://mwo.smurfy-ne...1ccfe261c5a3fe5

LRM 20: http://mwo.smurfy-ne...64407dfd257f5ad

I read a guide suggesting LRM 15's are superior, but I'd love to hear multiple opinions. Thanks!

#2 SethAbercromby

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,308 posts
  • LocationNRW, Germany

Posted 13 February 2015 - 10:25 AM

My opinion? None of them. The S is a teriible Missile boat like all other Atlas variants. If you want long range, Pick a Gauss, an LRM10 and ER Large lasers. You can likely even bring a few MLAS and SRMs for short range defense.

Edited by SethAbercromby, 13 February 2015 - 10:29 AM.

#3 TercieI

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,147 posts
  • LocationThe Far Country

Posted 13 February 2015 - 10:27 AM

On the AS7-S...SRM4s or SRM6s.

#4 TygerLily

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 2,150 posts

Posted 13 February 2015 - 10:29 AM

Go for the 10's, drop the artemis, add ammo and a Tag. That's my opinion =)

#5 Bigbacon

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,088 posts

Posted 13 February 2015 - 10:35 AM

LRM assaults are always a detriment to the team. 100 tons of mech that can't help the team.

#6 TygerLily

• The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 2,150 posts

Posted 13 February 2015 - 10:39 AM

I don't think he's look for anyone's philosophy or approval....

#7 RedDevil

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Slayer
  • The Slayer
  • 702 posts

Posted 13 February 2015 - 10:40 AM

But what about just general efficiency? Is it better to have two LRM20's or 4 LRM 10's? Are 15's the sweet spot or irrelevant?

#8 Dagon Zur

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 142 posts

Posted 13 February 2015 - 10:50 AM

I 100% agree with Bigbacon.
A 50-ton, LRM-quirked Trebuchet-M with 2xLRM15 fires LRM equivalent to LRM60, with JJs, higher speed and agility. Beats any LRM-fatlas. There is no need for 100 ton LRM boats.
If you really want a ranged, "survival" Atlas, for making c-bills, try D or DDC variant with mixed weapons (2xAC5/ 2xLRM15/2xLL or 2xUAC5/2xLRM15/4xML), you will be more useful to your team. Atlas-S is born to brawl in my humble opinion.....

#9 The Red Priest

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Clamps
  • The Clamps
  • 137 posts
  • LocationSC

Posted 13 February 2015 - 10:52 AM

None of them. If you're playing an LRM atlas, you're playing the game wrong.

#10 TygerLily

• The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 2,150 posts

Posted 13 February 2015 - 10:58 AM

View Postreddevil, on 13 February 2015 - 10:40 AM, said:

But what about just general efficiency? Is it better to have two LRM20's or 4 LRM 10's? Are 15's the sweet spot or irrelevant?

20's are bad because of cooldown and spread. If you can take four 10's over two 20's I'd do it. That being said, I find two 15's to be the best LRM set. I run it on my Treb and Catapults. Then again, look at the quirks! 4J is beastly with 10's due to the quirks so play in to them!

#11 Buehgler

• PipPipPip
  • The Bludgeon
  • The Bludgeon
  • 79 posts

Posted 13 February 2015 - 11:02 AM

For the AS7-S you should dump the Artemis and all of the LRMs, add an AC20 or Gauss and use the missile slots for SRM4s or SRM6s. The atlas has many other features (armor, intimidation, firepower) to offer your team that will be lost by sitting toward the rear lobbing LRMs,

On a mech well suited to LRMs (the AS7-S is NOT) that offers 4 hard points and plenty of tubes, given your choices, I would probably prefer to run 4x LRM10s for the tighter spread of the 10s and the increased sustained suppression of firing them 2 at a time or just chain firing them. The assault LRM boat I run on occasion is an BLR-1S with 2xLRM10, 2xLRM15, 3MLs, TAG, an XL engine and plenty of ammo. Fast enough to get into position and stay with the team and enough indirect and direct firepower to both suppress and defend itself.

#12 Tiamat of the Sea

• Guardian
  • Guardian
  • 1,326 posts

Posted 13 February 2015 - 11:05 AM

The Atlas 7S, like all other Atlas, is a poor LRM boat at best.

LRM boating, in fact, is a poor tactic at best in PUG drops, which is where you would wind up using it, given you're a Clan player.

LRM boating is very heavily dependent on your teammates for regular, reliable support, and you just don't get that in pug drops. It helps if your unit drops groups in the Group Queue, but it's still not advisable.

If your heart's really set on hucking LRMs with the AS7-S as hard as you can, I would say to go with two LRM-5s and two LRM-10s (no reason for Artemis with the smaller racks, really), or four LRM-5s (even less reason for the smaller racks) and considerable close-range weaponry.

As an additional note, you're not running nearly enough ammo for heavy LRM bombardment in any of those builds. 5 tons will run out far too fast.

On top of that, it is safe to EITHER shave leg armor OR store ammo there, doing both is a terrible idea (especially without CASE to accompany your Standard engine) and get you eaten by lights.

Lets start with the LRMs.

Using four LRM-5s or two 5s and two 10s, you get a much faster refire rate. This will let you keep up a constant barrage of small LRM batches or faster large-batch shots at your option at any point during the match. That in turn allows you to adjust your fire for when you're dealing with (for constant barrage) small fast targets, targets who may get to cover soon, or targets you want to keep cockpit shake on, or (for larger missile batches) targets with multiple open locations, groups with lots of AMS mounted, other assault 'mechs, or situations where you think enemies are clustered together and you want to have a chance of smacking adjacent targets.

Having over 1000 missiles means you should have enough LRMs for firing during the majority of the match as well, but having more than about 1500 is overkill for anything other than community warfare matches (and even then it's kind of ridiculous).

You're running an Atlas, which is the point to look at next. Atlas have very large side torsos and are excellent for drawing attention and enemy fire. Even if you want to run lots of LRMs and act as fire support, any build that doesn't include considerable close-range firepower is crippling the entire team by preventing you taking advantage of the Atlas' tonnage, armor, and hitboxes to force people to take you apart one side torso at a time. This means that you can't devote your entire 'mech to just LRMs efficiently and, on top of that, mounting a Beagle in the CT, where you have energy hardpoints, is exceptionally wasteful, particularly since the Beagle itself does nothing for direct-fire weapons.

To add to that, pure LRM boats are horrible to run, as I previously mentioned. You become entirely dependent on your team supporting you appropriately, which is absolutely not guaranteed in fully-PUG matches- you have to drop with a group of five or more to have anything remotely resembling a reliable experience in a pure LRM boat, and even then it's not assured. If you're going to run mainly LRMs in a 'mech, you HAVE to have significant backup weaponry. The 7-S Atlas has four energy hardpoints, and while they're low-mounted and thus poorly suited to long range weapons, they're perfect for mounting a set of four medium lasers in- this already doubles your non-LRM firepower, providing you guarantee against being shut down by a single ECM carrier standing behind your back.

Additionally, the Atlas has a ballistic hardpoint in the opposite side torso from the missile hardpoints, and it's one that many people have been trained by experience to take out first. If you don't mount some form of autocannon there, you're skipping half your 'mech, and so will anyone else who hits the R button to see what your loadout and damage is- your current builds all rely entirely on the left torso weapon mounts for capability, making it very easy to essentially shut you down as a combat factor- two medium lasers aren't to be sneezed at lategame, but anything that sees you and first rips out your missiles can then basically murder your allies with impunity.

Compounding this is the tendency of the Atlas to, like the Stalker, get 'sticked'- reduced to a CT on legs. Not using those CT weapon hardpoints is a major failing.

Even if you can't afford a super-cannon Gauss or AC/20, it's nearly a crime to not mount an AC/10 at least in a single-ballistic Atlas.

Given all of that, this is the build I would recommend you use instead:

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...0902692c1d3f667

This Atlas has 1260 LRMs, enough to keep firing at the nice quick clip of the LRM10/5 combo for virtually all of a match, ghost heat or not. It'll tend to overheat in close combat thanks to the quartet of medium lasers, but judicious fire can help with that. The AC/10 provides further close-range support with less heat, and should be your main close combat weapon until it runs dry (which it shouldn't very often at all).

CASE will prevent ammo explosions from ruining your entire 'mech (Clan 'mechs all have automatic CASE in every location, which means that an ammo explosion in a component destroys the equipment there and the entire component's armor and structure, then stops. Inner Sphere 'mechs have to choose to mount CASE, and can only put it in the torso locations. Otherwise, ammo explosions cascade inwards like damage and WILL destroy the entire 'mech.), and the Beagle, since it exists mainly to support the LRMs, is in with the LRM racks, thus meaning that you shouldn't lose it early, and shouldn't lose it without also losing the LRMs.

5-5-10-10 is a steady chain of LRM fire (learn to establish a rhythm with it, roughly two racks per second, and you can keep it up until you overheat, which takes a while) and when unison fired is a barrage of 30 missiles, enough to make some damage through virtually any AMS shielding.

If you find the overheating in close combat becomes a problem, you can cut the LRM-10s to LRM-5s, lose the Endo Steel, drop a ton of ammo, and add two more heat sinks for the medium lasers, as so: http://mwo.smurfy-ne...6128b92733d102a

This version still has plenty of LRMs for the smaller racks (they actually need slightly less despite the improved refire rate), but it lasts longer in close combat before having to regulate fire, and the rhythm of chained LRM-5s is faster. You lose a bit of AMS penetration, but become more dangerous in sustained close combat, which is always nice for an Atlas.

All of these use a 325 standard engine instead of the 360 you were mounting before- I know a lot of people swear by 360s in Atlases, but they're running much lighter weapons loads thanks to the use of close combat weapons rather than a hefty LRM setup- LRM racks are considerably heavier than SRM racks, and if you're going for long term bombardment, they take far more ammo as well. While that does hinder speed and torso twist a bit, it's not enough to be crippling, and the engines before 330 are much more tonnage efficient besides, allowing more weight and room for other equipment, which you need on an assault 'mech.

I wouldn't consider two 15s on this 'mech, just because while the refire rate is decent, it's poor compared to 5-5-10-10, the tonnage is the same, and while it's somewhat more heat efficient, you're not really concerned about it with as many heat sinks as you're running for the close-combat suite.

Please remember to consider the following carefully:

Clan 'mechs are omnis and as such are intended to be adjustable to any role you like, partly by the swapping of omni-pod hardpoints, partly by the swapping of omni-pod quirks. Inner Sphere 'mechs, though, are specialized, and have specific roles that their hardpoint layouts, much more significant quirks, and shapes support much more strongly than the Clan 'mechs often do.

This means that every Spheroid 'mech has specific things it is better and worse at, and those MUST be taken into account when choosing a setup/build. Even if you decide to partially ignore them by not taking the specifically prescribed weapons (in this case, you're choosing not to use the AS7-S' SRM-4 boons), you cannot ignore the effects of these elements in an overall sense without crippling yourself and your team by your choices.

#13 InspectorG

• The Boombox
  • The Boombox
  • 4,469 posts
  • LocationCleveland, Ohio

Posted 13 February 2015 - 11:06 AM

Atlas S

S stands for 'SRM'.

If you are trying to farm $ with the Cbill bonus with the S, learn to brawl and you can rake in cash. LRMs are noobish at best, lazy at worst.
You COULD take 1 lrm5 and 1 ton ammo to farm assists in Puglandia. Rest SRM4. Not the most advisable im afraid.

If you simply must LRM, do it with a Treb or HBK. Their LRM quirks are nice and they can move quickly.

Now i need some help, Should i put 5 flamers on my Locust E, or just 4? Should i remove my ECM on my Pirate's Bay for more DHS?

#14 RedEagle86

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 246 posts
  • LocationSaskatchewan

Posted 13 February 2015 - 11:09 AM

The only Atlas I run (when not trolling) is the RS, and it looks like this:
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...327153bf41464cf

If you're determined to put LRM's on an Atlas -S, I might go with one of these two:

MAXIMUM TROLLAGE!!!

Slightly more realistic

#15 Night Thastus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 825 posts

Posted 13 February 2015 - 11:27 AM

Jeebus. That's quite a wall of text I got for about an hours or so of posting.

You guys way overthought it. Don't get me wrong, I appreciate all the info, but I've been playing since closed beta. I'm perfectly aware of the differences between Clan Vs IS, as well as how LRM's work, and how CASE works.

I also have no cash whatsoever, and only this one Atlas, which I got for getting the UrbanMech.
I already have a brawler design for it. (4x SRM 4 W/Artemis, 4x Md Laser, UAC/5). Though I'm considering swapping to an AC/10 due to personal preference.

I wasn't asking if this was a "bad" idea. I've only got this mech for missleboating and thought I'd give it a shot. If I try it in a few rounds and it sucks, I'll go back to brawling, but as I've never tried missleboating before, I wanted to give it a shot.

I suppose I'll give Quickdraw Cobat's build a try. It'll be quite some time before I can get the C-bills for yet another engine and new equipment (and removing the artemis, wish you could save it for later), but It's worth a shot.

#16 Tiamat of the Sea

• Guardian
  • Guardian
  • 1,326 posts

Posted 13 February 2015 - 11:32 AM

Sorry if it's more than you wanted, but while I don't post too often, I do tend to give full information.

In this case, it's partly because someone else may stumble across this thread looking for LRM advice and it's better to ensure that full information is here for their sake as well.

Anyway, yeah, LRM boating is generally a horrible experience- between the people who will tell you that LRMs are 'noskill' (and often chew you out for several minutes if given half a chance) and the unreliability of the necessary support (and protection from things fast enough to stay under your minimum range), it's just not a good place to be. Do not boat LRMs. Heavy LRMs or LRMs as a main weapon, sure, but never boat.

#17 OznerpaG

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bludgeon
  • The Bludgeon
  • 977 posts
  • LocationToronto, Canada

Posted 13 February 2015 - 05:34 PM

sounds like the hate i got when i was leveling my crab with LRMs vice ACs haha

best route - LRM20/dual LRM10. too much ghost heat on 4 LRM launchers, and since your salvos are broken up with the limited tubes this'l give you a group of 22 and a group of 18, each of which will penetrate most AMS

my only other advice is ditch the BAP and throw a TAG on - BAP only works out to 200m or whatever it is now, while TAG nullifies ECM out to 750m+

#18 Smokeyjedi

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 1,040 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 13 February 2015 - 05:37 PM

So much misinformation in this thread. Goddamn noobfest/

#19 Dawnstealer

• Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 3,734 posts
  • LocationBlack Earth

Posted 13 February 2015 - 05:40 PM

I went with LRM 5s and it's a hilarious troll mech. AC20 and 4MLs for the other slots.

But seriously, if you want to not-troll? Run three SRM4s and maybe an LRM10 or so for long-range poking.

#20 Smokeyjedi

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 1,040 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 13 February 2015 - 05:42 PM

2X ALRM20s
4X MPL
AS7 D founders

1 AC5
2X LL
3X ALRM10
DDC

Both these setups will wreck a lot of peoples days.
But yea, the brawling with tubes is never a good idea.....

Use up missiles, shred armor, than go in with the lasers and ballistics blazing to crush thine enemy,

not often Am I a detriment to the team due to loadout on my Fatlas, usually a wrong turn or good old back alley beatdown from gimpy and his friends.....Just after your friends have left you behind with your low slung gorilla arms.

Edited by Smokeyjedi, 13 February 2015 - 05:43 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users