• 136 posts
  • LocationHong Kong

Posted 20 April 2015 - 12:47 AM

View PostNight Thastus, on 13 February 2015 - 10:23 AM, said:

I have three smurfy builds I'm looking at.I was wondering, what's better,
4x LRM 10's
3x LRM 15's
2x LRM 20's
I read a guide suggesting LRM 15's are superior, but I'd love to hear multiple opinions. Thanks!

By calculations 4x LRM10 is most superior, at time 33.75 seconds it would have delivered 360 damage, versus

2nd best 3x LRM15 at time 34 seconds also same 360 damages, versus
3rd 2x LRM20 at time 33.25 seconds only 280 damage dealt, hence never go with this.
finally 4th = last is 4x LRM5 at time 32.5 seconds only 200 damage dealt, worst.

Thanks to your question I now have a new found realization to missile hardpoints. Thank you indeed.

Edit, TAG, yeah!!!
Reminder : Command Console -42.5% targeting speed :) 3 tons for some fast locks like TC of Clans :)
Your S model don't have ECM, hence BAP could be a plus, not to mention 25% sensor range is always good for LRM. My Raven + Adv Snr module + BAP capture targets to 1200 meters.

Above is continuous LRM for 30 seconds, but often target exposure is short and brief, in this case highest LRM tubes are better, dang, no perfect answer :(. i.e. DDC 3 missile hardpoints continuous rain is 3x LRM10, but short exposure capture is LRM20+LRM15 perfect 10 slots 45 damage versus 30.

Surprise Surprise, for DCC is completely different to S model, at time 34 seconds LRM20+LRM15 dealt 260 damages versus 3x LRM10 270, that's much closer nearly NO gap. Only 1 ton extra, all in all in exchange for 50% more damage during 1st LRM fire, it's worth it.

On second note, In case you're interested, I'm using DDC SRM18 the usual what everyone says. Then installed ARTEMIS but reduced engine, regret lost of maneuverability, removed ARTEMIS. Not regret much. But now REINSTALL ARTEMIS, for me ARTEMIS is worth it, after long time thinking.

Also your post question of using LRM made me realized XL engine is viable because not front brawling, plus could put in a AC10 or LB10X too. I now know that in the future if I fancy LRM for the day, I'd go XL, then when playing SRM swap to STD.

Edited by cx5, 20 April 2015 - 01:24 AM.

#42 Night Thastus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 825 posts

Posted 20 April 2015 - 04:33 AM

I'm happy to see my simple question ended up generating so much conversation. In the end, I decided not to missleboat with the Atlas S anyways, since it's a bit selfish. I'm not using my armor to help friendlies and since the Atlas has so few missle tubes, I'm not even doing that much. I have a Catapult that's better designed for the job (even with the ****** geometry).

EDIT: If you really still want to missleboat, you could go with a standard engine and an LRM 10, and 3 LRM-5's. You wouldn't have the fire broken up into pieces and could still hold a decent sum of other weaponry.

Edited by Night Thastus, 20 April 2015 - 04:35 AM.

#43 cx5

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 136 posts
  • LocationHong Kong

Posted 20 April 2015 - 06:04 AM

Happy to see you've decided, I've got SRM18 for a long time now, hence start experimenting LRM, luckily on my last CW the teammates value ECM+Atlas they didn't mind Fatlas_LRM, hence giving me the motivation to try.

Regardless, new calculations for DDC due 3 hardpoints not 4 for missiles. Best combination for STD due 10 free slots is 2xLRM10+LRM15 delivery 300 damage at time 34 seconds, while XL has 7 slots left best is LRM10+15 at time 34 seconds 210 damage, versus 3xLRM5 only 150 damage at earlier time 32.5 seconds, which is very bad interms of boting LRM. Both cases uses 2 more tons but max out slots.

Each case saving that 2 tons (i.e. going back to default all same type without mix & match will reduce damage to 270 and 190 respectively.

There's a gold rule found, where tonnage same, but mix & match more damage out, which is 2xLRM5+10 = 12 tons = 190 damage at time 33.75 seconds, 10 damage more than 12 tons 2xLRM10.

Anyway, all talks only. No perfect answer.

#44 mark v92

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 441 posts

Posted 20 April 2015 - 01:26 PM

save tonnage.

lrm 5 = 5 missiles per 2 tons
lrm 10 = 5 missiles per 2.5 tons
lrm 15 = 5 missiles per 2.33 tons
lrm 20 = 5 missiles per 2.5 tons

try to use 5 and 15's when not using artimes

like: 2x 5 and 2x 15 = 40 missiles (18 tons)
instaid of: 2x 20 = 40 missiles (20 tons)

#45 xengk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 2,502 posts
  • LocationKuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Posted 20 April 2015 - 07:18 PM

View PostNight Thastus, on 20 April 2015 - 04:33 AM, said:

I'm happy to see my simple question ended up generating so much conversation. In the end, I decided not to missleboat with the Atlas S anyways, since it's a bit selfish. I'm not using my armor to help friendlies and since the Atlas has so few missle tubes, I'm not even doing that much. I have a Catapult that's better designed for the job (even with the ****** geometry).

EDIT: If you really still want to missleboat, you could go with a standard engine and an LRM 10, and 3 LRM-5's. You wouldn't have the fire broken up into pieces and could still hold a decent sum of other weaponry.

I find Atlas could benefit from having LRM 5+10 with 1 or 2 ton of ammo, the missile will come out in a single volley.
It extend their reach, letting them deal damage while moving into AC20, SRM range or help out a skirmish in another part of the map that you cannot reach in time.

#46 TLX

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 103 posts
  • LocationSpain

Posted 22 April 2015 - 10:47 PM

If u still want a LRM boat Atlas,pick x4 10-LRM. U can change every time from one to one LRM pack and u have better chances to kill the enemy. I remember a Hunchback with x2 10 LRM or x3 5 LRM and does excellent work in battlefield,if i remember correctly it kills 4 mechs using this tactic. Of course it have tons of ammo.

#47 Brother MEX

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Patron Saint
  • The Patron Saint
  • 407 posts
  • LocationRANDIS IV

Posted 23 April 2015 - 12:20 AM

View Postreddevil, on 13 February 2015 - 10:40 AM, said:

But what about just general efficiency? Is it better to have two LRM20's or 4 LRM 10's? Are 15's the sweet spot or irrelevant?
LRM 15 have the best WEIGHT per tube of laucher relation !
Take LRM 15 if you are resticted by weight ...
Take LRM 20 if you are resticted by GHOST HEAT ( for using more than 2 launchers ) ...
Take LRM 5 if you want to rain a constant stream of LRM in chainfire, as they have the shortest RELOAD time ...

First check how many tubes the model of the mech has for the missile hardpoint !
Otherwise you might use a NARC hardpoint with 1 tube with a LRM 20, resulting in 20 salvos of 1 LRM each time you shoot with this laucher ... for example the Stalker with 5 missile hardpoints

I usually prefer to use the H model of the Stalker with 2x20 + 2x5 LRM as a IS LRM boat, as I can shoot a single salvo with 50 LRM, rain enemy scouts with 2 LRM 5 in chainfire or use LRM40 salvos against bigger targets :wub:

Edited by Brother MEX, 23 April 2015 - 12:29 AM.

#48 mark v92

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 441 posts

Posted 23 April 2015 - 11:48 AM

View PostBrother MEX, on 23 April 2015 - 12:20 AM, said:

LRM 15 have the best WEIGHT per tube of laucher relation !

Lrm5's actualy. 5 missiles per 2 tons. (lrm15 is 5 per 2.33 tons)

But yeah try to use only 5 or 15's.

Unless:
artimes
quirks
ghostheat
weapon modules

#49 SethAbercromby

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,308 posts
  • LocationNRW, Germany

Posted 03 May 2015 - 02:20 PM

View Postmark v92, on 23 April 2015 - 11:48 AM, said:

Unless:
artimes
quirks
ghostheat
weapon modules

Don't forget tubes. The 15 is the least overall compatible launcher for stable volleys (singular or identical portions), while the 10 and 20 find a lot more usage in that regard. 5 and 10-tube launchers are in abundance on a lot of 'Mechs which are stable with both 10s and 20s, while the 15 has only acess to 5 tube versions for stable partial volleys.

When stability and ammo efficiency are of importance, 5s and 10s are the most efficient launchers on most 'Mechs.

#50 Shalune

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 647 posts
  • LocationCombination Pizza Hut and Taco Bell

Posted 03 May 2015 - 02:35 PM

15s and even moreso 5s are the most weight efficient launchers. As a general rule I try to use them over the alternatives.

10s are not bad, and do have the advantage of rate of fire over 15s, while not being as limiting on the number of missiles per volley as 5s.

20s are pretty much inefficient at everything except maybe heat per missile (haven't looked into this). I avoid using them at all unless 1 of 2 conditions applies:

(1) - I want/need more missile tubes and don't have more hardpoints to use.
(2) - The mech I'm using has LRM20-specific quirks

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users