Which Clan Would You Prefer To Be Your Ruler?

122 replies to this topic

#41 Jaroth Corbett

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 2,250 posts
  • LocationSmoke Jaguar OZ

Posted 17 February 2015 - 07:11 AM

View PostJoshua McEvedy, on 17 February 2015 - 07:02 AM, said:

Clan Wolverine was annihilated by Clan Wolf in 2823. The survivors under Trish Ebon made it back to the IS in 2825 and raided the Draconis Combine, as the so-called "Minnesota Tribe." In Jihad Secrets: The Blake Documents, it is stated but wholly unsubstantiated that ComStar caught up to the former Wolverines and settled them on Mars and the Five Hidden Worlds, from which they they formed a secret cabal called "The Blood." The Blood ultimately subverted ComStar, became the driving force behind the Word of Blake and ultimately the fiercely anti-clan Manei Domini.

The other sourcebooks also suggest that one group of Wolverines under a commander named Varus conquered Granada and Nueva Castille and formed the Umayyad Caliphate. Meanwhile, another group of Wolverine refugees apparently worked their way around the Periphery from the Draconis Combine, and past the Federate Suns and the Capellan Confederation before settling on a far away planet tantalizingly named "McEvedy's Folly," located rimward of the free Worlds League and the Magistracy of Canopus. They established a base there, but it was abandoned sometime before 3025. It was discovered during an archaelogical dig in 3095, but the Word Of Blake showed up and promptly nuked it from orbit.

And that's where it stands since Cataclysm has never finished the story. However, I recommend that anyone interested in Clan Wolverine read Blaine Lee Pardoe's excellent Betrayal of Ideals, which is the true story of the "Not-Named" and their annihilation.

Other

I am not familiar with all the details, but the ones I am familiar with I can concur. I actually posted a section of the Blake Documents regarding The Not-Named on the forums.

#42 DerangedShadow

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 124 posts
  • LocationAnoka, Minnesota, USA

Posted 17 February 2015 - 07:14 AM

I would enjoy if Clan Wolverine became the ilClan. They are the true embodiment of the ideals of the old Star League and still cling to that ideal which forced them from Clan space due to their sickening twist on the idea. Which makes me giddy at what will happen when Catalyst releases the ilClan book when they push the storyline to 3250. Though I am also sad at the likelihood of Clan Wolf or Jade Falcon winning the title. Alaric Ward and Malvina Hazen, two epic forces going to clash and create a vacuum of power wherever they fall.

Also, Joshua McEvedy, it has been noted that the aspects of what happened in the Betrayal of Ideals series is not fully canonical. It is one of those canon rumors where they added stuff and it may not be fully true. Since it was originally saKhan Hallis who fell in combat and in the series they made it Khan McEvedy. FYI

#43 Clownwarlord

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,410 posts
  • LocationBusy stealing clan mechs.

Posted 17 February 2015 - 07:26 AM

Malvina Hazen is a Jade Falcon witch who should be hunted down!!! Her fear tactics are barbaric and genocidal in nature. She uses her force to wipe away cities filled with civilians just to have something to do.

I have other choice words for that character that would not be fitting of any forum.

#44 Mordin Ashe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,505 posts

Posted 17 February 2015 - 07:29 AM

All my bets are on Clan Liao, because they are very determined and constantly eating bits and pieces od the Davion space.

#45 Clownwarlord

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,410 posts
  • LocationBusy stealing clan mechs.

Posted 17 February 2015 - 07:31 AM

View PostMordin Ashe, on 17 February 2015 - 07:29 AM, said:

All my bets are on Clan Liao, because they are very determined and constantly eating bits and pieces od the Davion space.

Heck I say the Republic wins or Comstar.

#46 Strykewolf

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 394 posts
  • LocationRogue River, Oregon

Posted 17 February 2015 - 07:39 AM

Nuts.

#47 AdamBaines

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,384 posts

Posted 17 February 2015 - 07:42 AM

View PostDerangedShadow, on 17 February 2015 - 07:14 AM, said:

I would enjoy if Clan Wolverine became the ilClan. They are the true embodiment of the ideals of the old Star League and still cling to that ideal which forced them from Clan space due to their sickening twist on the idea. Which makes me giddy at what will happen when Catalyst releases the ilClan book when they push the storyline to 3250. Though I am also sad at the likelihood of Clan Wolf or Jade Falcon winning the title. Alaric Ward and Malvina Hazen, two epic forces going to clash and create a vacuum of power wherever they fall.

Also, Joshua McEvedy, it as been noted that the aspects of what happened in the Betrayal of Ideals series is not fully canonical. It is one of those canon rumors where they added stuff and it may not be fully true. Since it was originally saKhan Hallis who fell in combat and in the series they made it Khan McEvedy. FYI

The Wolverines cannot become the ilClan as they don't exist anymore. And even if the decedents did somehow "take over" they still would not be recognized by any clan.

#48 Joshua McEvedy

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Ogre
  • The Ogre
  • 491 posts
  • LocationDuchy of Oriente, Free Worlds League

Posted 17 February 2015 - 07:51 AM

Also, Joshua McEvedy, it has been noted that the aspects of what happened in the Betrayal of Ideals series is not fully canonical. It is one of those canon rumors where they added stuff and it may not be fully true. Since it was originally saKhan Hallis who fell in combat and in the series they made it Khan McEvedy. FYI

Actually, according to Betrayal, Khan Sarah McEvedy was caught in the nuclear blast at Dehra Dun on Circe just as she was loading up the Wolverines' last dropship (with the complicity of the Snow Ravens, who were secret allies). She survived but was badly burned. Nicholas Kerensky captured and then tortured her to learn where the rest of the Wolverines were fleeing to.

Meanwhile, saKhan Franklin Hallis was leading the Wolverine refugee fleet back to the IS, with Trish Ebon as his next-in-command. Sending Ebon and Varus out to scout and forage ahead, he made a crucial error in stopping at Barbados for rest and recuperation, at which point Kerensky and the rest of the Clans caught up to them, and Clan Wolf won the bid to finish the annihilation. A cataclysmic batte ensued, and the Wolves barely won. Hallis was captured in his Pulverizer and was executed after Kerensky revealed that he knew that Clan Widowmaker Khan Jason Karrige was behind the entire scheme to discredit and destroy the Wolverines. Kerensky had Hallis buried with full honors and then marooned the terribly scarred McEvedy on Barbados, presumably to punish her further by leaving her alive amongst the wrecks and corpses of her dead Clan.

However, Ebon returned (but Varus did not) and found McEvedy alive, after which, the remaining Wolverines fled back to the IS, renaming themselves the "Star League-in-Exile, and throwing off any remnants of Clan culture that had been imposed on them by Kerensky. They then raided the Draconis Combine for food, replacement parts and equipment, and on Richmond, Kurita political prisoners to replenish their ranks. The history afterward though is really murky, and becomes steeped in conspiravcy theories and conjecture, as noted in my earlier post.

Blaine Lee Pardoe was the primary author of FASA's original Clan books, and so his revision of the Clan Wolverine story can be considered canon, even though it stirred up quite a storm at Battlecorps when Betrayal was published in 2006-2007. So folks can take it for what it's worth.

On a side note, the Ghost Bears have a particular hatred for the "Not-Named" because a Wolverine scientist taken as isorla managed to infuse Wolverine DNA into an entire generation of trueborn Ghost Bear warriors. After this was discovered in 2840, the Ghost Bear khan was forced to quietly declare their annihilation, at which point the entire cadre willingly committed suicide while in parade formation to prevent the entire clan's destruction if word got out. This is presumably why the Ghost Bears reacted with such ferocity against the Word of Blake when Devlin Stone and Anastasius Focht gave them Uncle Chandy's suspicious "Blake Documents" in 3074. They tested every Manei Domini warrior they killed, but turned up no conclusive evidence of Wolverine DNA.

Edited by Joshua McEvedy, 17 February 2015 - 07:57 AM.

#49 Indomitus

Rookie

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7 posts

Posted 17 February 2015 - 08:15 AM

Where are you getting this "not fully canonical" from? In-universe the clans rewrote their history to hide what really happened.

"Okay, it’s done. Like or hate it, the truth behind the Wolverines demise is now known." -Blaine Lee Pardoe's final word on Betryal of Ideals

Clan Snow Raven nuked their own genetic repository

Clan Widowmaker's original Khan was more Machiavellian than the Snow Ravens ever were (arguable I guess)

Nicholas Kerensky was a power hungry nut job

"Did Betrayal make Nicholas appear as a nut-job? Clanners – I hate to break it to you – Nicholas WAS somewhat nuts. For God’s sake, I even strongly hinted that he was brain-damaged in the Wolf Clan Sourcebook." -Blaine Lee Pardoe

There's plenty more that I can add, but it sums up like this: Betrayal of Ideals IS canon.

--EDIT--
I was going to delete this because I got beat in response.... but mine does offer some direct BLP quotes so I'll leave it

Edited by Indomitus, 17 February 2015 - 08:16 AM.

#50 Dino Might

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 2,030 posts

Posted 17 February 2015 - 08:37 AM

Don't worry. After all the back and forth, Comstar will still provide you all unparalleled internet and cable TV service, at the low low price of being in charge of everyone. :lol:

#51 Joshua McEvedy

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Ogre
  • The Ogre
  • 491 posts
  • LocationDuchy of Oriente, Free Worlds League

Posted 17 February 2015 - 08:43 AM

View PostIndomitus, on 17 February 2015 - 08:15 AM, said:

I was going to delete this because I got beat in response.... but mine does offer some direct BLP quotes so I'll leave it

Well done! On another side note, some of the 1990s FASA Clan material actually got banned or censored in Germany because of anti-{Godwin's Law} laws. Seems some bureaucrat thought that Pardoe's descriptions of Clan culutre and behavior, focused on blood purity, eugenics, technology, and genocide, was too close to {Godwin's Law} dogma for comfort.

#52 Steinar Bergstol

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,622 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 17 February 2015 - 08:43 AM

Well, are we really surprised that a society as completely and utterly insane as the clans was created by a madman who could make Maximilian Liao look like the picture of mental stability?

I mean, really? Was that a surprise to _anyone_?

#53 DerangedShadow

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 124 posts

Posted 17 February 2015 - 08:49 AM

View PostAdamBaines, on 17 February 2015 - 07:42 AM, said:

The Wolverines cannot become the ilClan as they don't exist anymore. And even if the decedents did somehow "take over" they still would not be recognized by any clan.

That is the beauty of the situation. Catalyst teased that the ilClan would not be recognized by any of the clans which would continue the aspect of warfare within the Inner Sphere and potential Clan worlds. Hopeful wishing.

#54 Indomitus

Rookie

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7 posts

Posted 17 February 2015 - 08:51 AM

View PostJoshua McEvedy, on 17 February 2015 - 07:51 AM, said:

Actually, according to Betrayal, Khan Sarah McEvedy was caught in the nuclear blast at Dehra Dun on Circe just as she was loading up the Wolverines' last dropship (with the complicity of the Snow Ravens, who were secret allies).

This is not accurate, she was caught in the blast at Great Hope, where the Widowmakers had set up a dirty bomb. The Snow Raven Khan and McEvedy "were like sisters" but were not allies... Khan Merrel was even following the ilKhan's orders and was going to nuke the Wolverines but ended up nuking Dehra Dun when the ship was shot down by the Wolverines.

View PostJoshua McEvedy, on 17 February 2015 - 07:51 AM, said:

However, Ebon returned (but Varus did not) and found McEvedy alive

This is speculation. We know McEvedy was alive and tortured, and we know Trish Ebon saw a haggard looking woman on Barbados, but we do not know who the woman was. On Barbados there was a grave for Sarah McEvedy next to Hallis's grave, but with no body for it.

My opinion is they wanted to leave it open to speculation on how we get from the last events at Barbados to the Word of Blake bombing a base near McEvedy's Folly that had Clan Wolverine and Minnesota Tribe mechs stored.

Edited by Indomitus, 17 February 2015 - 08:59 AM.

#55 DerangedShadow

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 124 posts

Posted 17 February 2015 - 08:57 AM

Thank you for the information Joshua. I can't remember where I read what I said about BoI which now makes me upset thinking that I thought it up...

The only thing I was able to find of the situation is with HABeas2. "Information is Ammunition" is what a great man says and now I am off to hunt for some more.

Edited by DerangedShadow, 17 February 2015 - 08:57 AM.

#56 AdamBaines

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,384 posts

Posted 17 February 2015 - 09:01 AM

View PostDerangedShadow, on 17 February 2015 - 08:49 AM, said:

That is the beauty of the situation. Catalyst teased that the ilClan would not be recognized by any of the clans which would continue the aspect of warfare within the Inner Sphere and potential Clan worlds. Hopeful wishing.

Do you have a reference for that? Im not doubting, just was wanting to look it up and have a bit of a read :-)

#57 Dawnstealer

• Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 3,734 posts
  • LocationBlack Earth

Posted 17 February 2015 - 09:03 AM

Clan Steiner.

#58 Indomitus

Rookie

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7 posts

Posted 17 February 2015 - 09:08 AM

View PostDerangedShadow, on 17 February 2015 - 08:49 AM, said:

The Wolf Empire being victorious only to have knowledge of Alaric Ward being a Katherine/Victor Steiner-Davion clone becoming publicly known would fit that.

Edited by Indomitus, 17 February 2015 - 09:10 AM.

#59 DerangedShadow

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 124 posts

Posted 17 February 2015 - 09:14 AM

View PostAdamBaines, on 17 February 2015 - 09:01 AM, said:

Do you have a reference for that? Im not doubting, just was wanting to look it up and have a bit of a read :-)

I can't find the BattleBlog/BattleChat that they posted that little tidbit. If you google "ilClan Sourcebook" you will find pages of documents from various forums and the battletech forums. The best info we have that the ilClan Sourcebook IS coming is the confirmation from one of the writers on the book. GhostBear

#60 KursedVixen

• The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 2,880 posts
  • LocationLook at my Arctic Wolf. Closer... Closer...

Posted 17 February 2015 - 09:26 AM

Wolf-in-exile

Edited by KursedVixen, 17 February 2015 - 09:29 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users