66 replies to this topic

#1 Alexander Garden

Producer

• Developer
  • Developer
  • 1,510 posts

Posted 18 February 2015 - 05:29 PM

Recommended steps for using your headset with MechWarrior Online
  • Right click on the speaker icon in your Windows taskbar and select Playback Devices
  • With your primary Playback device selected, click on the Properties button
  • In the Advanced tab, un-check the ‘Allow applications to take exclusive control of this device’ box and click OK.
  • Click the Recording tab.
  • Check that your Microphone is active, and that the level indicator registers your inputs
  • With the Microphone selected, click on the Properties button.
  • In the Advanced tab, un-check the ‘Allow applications to take exclusive control of this device’ box and click Apply.
  • If the microphone levels were not registering, or if they seemed too low, access the Listen tab and check the ‘Listen to this device’ box and click Apply
  • Speak quietly into the microphone to test the output level in your headset
  • In the Levels tab, adjust your Microphone and/or Microphone Boost levels to find the ideal setting
  • Once you are satisfied with the levels, return to the Listen tab and un-check the ‘Listen to this device’ box.
  • Click OK to apply the changes and close the Sound window
I no longer hear any game audio through my headset.
  • Right-click on the speaker icon in your Windows taskbar and select Open Volume Mixer
  • Ensure that you are viewing the current volume settings for your preferred sound device (ie. “Speakers”)
  • Ensure that the slider for MechWarrior Online (32 bit or 64 bit) is turned up or not currently muted
  • You might also need to ensure that your Playback device is not being exclusively controlled by another application:
  • Right click on the speaker icon in your Windows taskbar and select Playback Devices
  • With your primary Playback device selected, click on the Properties button
  • In the Advanced tab, un-check the ‘Allow applications to take exclusive control of this device’ box and click OK
My teammates are telling me that my voice doesn’t always come through. Nothing changes in my settings, and I’m definitely holding the press-to-talk button (CAPS LOCK, by default).

Along with the push-to-talk requirement, there is also a voice detection system in place to help prevent ambient noises from being transmitted to other players if you are not actively speaking with the push-to-talk key engaged.
If you find that your voice is not always transmitting with push-to-talk engaged, we recommend that you try increasing the Record Level setting by incremental amounts through your in-game Audio settings.
It is also worth confirming that your system-level input levels are at their ideal setting. Please refer to the ‘Recommended steps for using your headset with MechWarrior Online’ section above for information on how to check your levels.

The in-match VoIP system is working, but the quality isn’t as good as my standalone TeamSpeak3 client.

We wanted to ensure that our implementation of in-match VoIP has as minimal an impact on connection and performance stability as possible.
Now that the feature is in place we will be continuing to evaluate its influence on performance, and we will look at making quality adjustments if we believe we can keep its impact on performance at a minimum.

I've tried everything, but I still can't get VoIP to work.

Please send off a ticket to support@mwomercs.com with the subject heading VoIP issues.
When submitting the ticket, please provide the following information:
  • Your headset model
  • A screenshot of your Volume Mixer
  • Screenshots of your Sound window, showing the contents of both the Playback and the Recording tabs
  • The results of a DirectX Diagnostic
  • Any other relevant information about the operation of your headset, such as whether it works with other applications
How to obtain a DirectX Diagnostic
Spoiler

How to access your Sound window
Spoiler

How to access your Volume Mixer
Spoiler

#2 Dirk Le Daring

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,083 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 18 February 2015 - 06:59 PM

I am on Windows 8.1, and as I was going through your instructions, I noticed that windows lists headphones for the front jacks. So I unplugged from the rear and plugged into the front. That solved my problem.

Hope this may help.

EDIT: Plugged into rear jacks again, now I cannot use the feature at all. Seems like VOIP has left the building, for me at least. I can hear others, but the game seems to not recognise my microphone, no matter what I try.

EDIT: I finally got it working, I had to go to levels as suggested in the OP.

Mic In At Rear Panel (Pink) 100

Microphone Boost +20 dB. <----- This is the one that made it work. And plugged in at the rear panel.

Edited by Dirk Le Daring, 07 March 2015 - 11:52 PM.

#3 Sprouticus

• Bridesmaid
  • 2,781 posts
  • LocationChicago, Il, USA

Posted 19 February 2015 - 06:05 AM

View PostDirk Le Daring, on 18 February 2015 - 06:59 PM, said:

I am on Windows 8.1, and as I was going through your instructions, I noticed that windows lists headphones for the front jacks. So I unplugged from the rear and plugged into the front. That solved my problem.

Hope this may help.

do you have realtek audio?

#4 Celtic Warrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Death Wish
  • The Death Wish
  • 507 posts
  • LocationClan Wolf Operations - Tukayyid - Honolulu HI

Posted 19 February 2015 - 05:21 PM

I've checked that my headset mic is working properly in windows and I can hear players in game. The mike icon in game doesn't show up and I can't speak to anyone, what's going on?

Thanks!!

#5 Dirk Le Daring

• 2,083 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 19 February 2015 - 05:55 PM

View PostSprouticus, on 19 February 2015 - 06:05 AM, said:

do you have realtek audio?

I am unsure, I just looked in programs in control, there is listed Realtek Ethernet controller, but did not see audio.

#6 InspectorG

• The Boombox
  • The Boombox
  • 4,469 posts
  • LocationCleveland, Ohio

Posted 19 February 2015 - 06:17 PM

View PostCeltic Warrior, on 19 February 2015 - 05:21 PM, said:

I've checked that my headset mic is working properly in windows and I can hear players in game. The mike icon in game doesn't show up and I can't speak to anyone, what's going on?

Thanks!!

Same here. TS works fine, no speaker icon in team roster when i drop.

#7 Soulscour

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,117 posts

Posted 20 February 2015 - 01:20 AM

Sometimes the voicechat works. sometimes it does not. strange...

#8 GargoyleVine

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 80 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationPismo Coast

Posted 20 February 2015 - 01:48 PM

i like the in-game chat better than TS, less lag for me, stoked to have this finally have this

Edited by GargoyleVine, 20 February 2015 - 01:48 PM.

#9 Ariana Rifkin

• PipPipPip
  • The Phoenix
  • The Phoenix
  • 63 posts

Posted 20 February 2015 - 04:32 PM

Glad to finally have this added to the game. Hoping all the kinks get figured out soon! Excited!

#10 Insects

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 995 posts
  • Locationstraya

Posted 21 February 2015 - 06:51 AM

Got it working, but these are the settings it needs, which is a bit extreme.
Configuring it like this makes it unusable in Teamspeak3 because it is so sensitive it picks up the sound of me opening my lips and moving my tongue and swallowing and stuff.
In game a guy said its ok, but with the Dalek bitrate I guess its hard to tell.
Teamspeak3 works with that microphone slider set to 5 it doesnt care.

Posted Image
Posted Image
There is also an AGC checkbox in Custom tab which must be on otherwise its not amplified enough.

With it set to Windows audio session it only detects if I raise my voice or flick the microphone hard, scratching it is not enough.

Something I notice is that the little level indicator bar in Windows (8.1) does not start going over a few bars until 90%+ on the slider. Which cant be right, the Listen mode feedback is at superman bionic mode at that point.
It seems like this headset (Microsoft Lifechat LX3000 USB) only outputs low levels but internally amplifies and is confusing even windows?
The teamspeak3 wizard only indicates levels of -30 orangeGreen area, but it works fine like that.

I guess I should follow the instructions for support, it works, but terrible mouth noises at that amplification level.
Whenever the question is asked in game a lot of people say they can hear but not talk.

#11 Mayor West

Rookie

• The Money Maker
  • The Money Maker
  • 4 posts
  • LocationDurham

Posted 21 February 2015 - 10:31 AM

So the game VOIP is useless.I like to be on TS3 when i play,talking to my friends that don't play MWO.So i can't have both...I did everything that is inscructed here and nothing.I have a ASUS Xonar DG sound card,but even if i switch to the realtec(witch i don't want to do) there is no guarantee it will work.So it's like with the FOV and glass effect.Not optional you have to go around the settings and tamper with it...maybe next patch will make it work for the rest of 20% players.

#12 Smith Gibson

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 213 posts

Posted 21 February 2015 - 06:19 PM

I am quite confused why this is the only game I own that requires me to change microphone settings so as to make my microphone not work with any of my other games...

Quite confused.

#13 Insects

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 995 posts
  • Locationstraya

Posted 22 February 2015 - 05:15 AM

View PostAlexander Garden, on 18 February 2015 - 05:29 PM, said:

Along with the push-to-talk requirement, there is also a voice detection system in place to help prevent ambient noises from being transmitted to other players if you are not actively speaking with the push-to-talk key engaged.
If you find that your voice is not always transmitting with push-to-talk engaged, we recommend that you try increasing the Record Level setting by incremental amounts through your in-game Audio settings.

Is this Left or Right on the slider?
Someone is saying to slide it Left to make it more sensitive? You do say "increase", but depending on what the slider does (amplification or VOX threshold) it can be either way.
Could make sense, I was assuming you meant increase to the right.
Edit: Tested but it wouldnt work at all.

Edited by joelmuzz, 22 February 2015 - 05:31 AM.

#14 JudgeDeathCZ

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Defiant
  • The Defiant
  • 1,929 posts

Posted 22 February 2015 - 09:22 AM

Why the hell sth like voip in game requires high school graduatition from IT and wall of text with pictures to set it up?
And even then...it do not work for me probably bcuz I have mumble up beside game to talk with my friendos from wow...
Rly PGI?Is that best you can do?Valve did it better in old half-life...which was like 15 yrs ago...

#15 Average Pilot

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 73 posts

Posted 23 February 2015 - 09:59 AM

What if I don't have a head set. Can this be set up to use the mic on the laptop? I use ear buds for listening plugged into the headphone jack. The ear buds can actually pick up voice (use them with my cell phone), but I don't know how to make that work either.

#16 Ward Serpentine

• PipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 78 posts
  • LocationNew Mexico

Posted 02 March 2015 - 12:40 PM

View PostAverage Pilot, on 23 February 2015 - 09:59 AM, said:

What if I don't have a head set. Can this be set up to use the mic on the laptop? I use ear buds for listening plugged into the headphone jack. The ear buds can actually pick up voice (use them with my cell phone), but I don't know how to make that work either.

You could use the mic on the laptop, but it won't work well. You'd have to scream for anyone to hear you and the ambient noise would be horrible. Your ear buds won't work as a mic unless you have a splitter to feed the mic into the mic in on your laptop. Search for 3.5mm 4 Pin to 2x3 Pin 3.5mm Headset Splitter Adapter

#17 Alexander Garden

Producer

• Developer
  • Developer
  • 1,510 posts

Posted 03 March 2015 - 10:31 AM

We're rolling out a fix for VoIP-related crashes with today's patch.

Those crashes were related to an issue with the original version of the TeamSpeak SDK. Please let me know what your client stability is like once we're back up and you've run a few matches.

#18 Insects

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 995 posts
  • Locationstraya

Posted 03 March 2015 - 02:27 PM

None of the teamspeak dll's changed after patch?

#19 Insects

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 995 posts
  • Locationstraya

Posted 08 March 2015 - 06:28 AM

Have you guys tested in Windows 8.1 with a USB headset?

It is a common problem that 8.1 broke many USB headsets which use the generic Windows driver. Win7 ok, Win8 broke.
The volume level is very low, sound is there just low. Apps need to work around it by having automatic gain or user volume boost. You have boost but I think the problem is the VOX trigger threshold.

It can be boosted so MWO threshold is triggered, however this causes bad distortion and problems for every other VoIP product.

Examples of the issue (ignore MS call center useless answers, they arent comprehending the issue because its not in their answers script book).
http://answers.micro...aa-edf953ac9198
http://answers.micro...m=1425823908953

#20 MikeEcho

Rookie

• Giant Helper
  • 2 posts
  • LocationWinnipeg, MB, Canada

Posted 27 March 2015 - 08:58 PM

Hey all, I've been having a similar problem as some of my fellow 'Mech Pilots with VOIP not allowing my voice to be broadcast but still being able to hear everyone else.

I managed to get it working by turning off the Acoustic Echo Cancellation in my windows settings, this is where i found it:

-Right click on the speaker icon in your Windows taskbar and select Recording Devices
-With Primary device selected, click Properties button
-Under the Enhancements tab un-check the Autistic Echo Cancellation

I have also raised the in game Record Level to 10 dB.

I hope this helps with getting this working for you all!

Happy Hunting!

EDIT: Just a heads ups as well, changing this setting has caused me to get picked up more often in TS when I'm not actually talking. Its not to bad, but still a change I fell worth noting.

Edited by MikeEcho, 27 March 2015 - 09:04 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users