I Finally Pulled The Trigger On The New Intel Z97 Build With A I7 4790K Processor Guys.

141 replies to this topic

#1 Bill Lumbar

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Death Star
  • 2,073 posts

Posted 19 February 2015 - 01:51 PM

As the title says, and it may be here as soon as tomorrow. I wonder once I get this beast that so many claim is just so bad a$$ vs my FX-8350 even at 5 ghz is really the beast they claim it to be for this game.

I researched far and wide, I thought about driving to Micro Center in Ohio which is a 2+ drive for me, but in the end I ordered off the egg and picked up the I74790K combo with a Gigabyte gaming 5 board for only $453.00 dollars shipped to my front door. I could of picked up the gaming 7 board at Micro Center vs the Gaming 5 one for around the same price, but would have had to drive 4+ hours to get it.

I have had some set backs on my new wall mount case build.... anyone looking to order water cooling parts and using FrozenCPU.com to do so, don't! This used to be a company that was my go to for water cooling parts...not anymore! I ordered a new Bitspower water tank Z-Multi 400 to update my water loop and am really sorry that I did. I placed the order on Feb. 12th and was told it would be here within 2-3 days. As it turns out, FrozenCPU's owner might very well be a crack head and the doors are closed but they are still taking peoples money with out shipping Items purchased. I now have to contact my card company to reverse the charges they made against my card for the new water loop items. Thankfully I have also ordered from many companies in the past, and it had been a few years since I went with Mountain mods, but I placed a order with them today after finding out about FrozenCPU's shady a$$'s and within 30 min's they had the new tank shipped out today with a tracking number from Fedex. :D

I also order a new water block for the 4790K, new 3/4" lines, and new compression fittings. This is the first upgrade I have made to my water loop in around 4 years and I hope to have the parts for it all before ups gets the mother board and new I7 here, but I doubt it. That means I will be running it on a stock cooler most likely, I might have a Zelman custom air cooler that will fit the 1150 socket...not sure yet. All in all this little upgrade path with the new Intel build and water loop parts, and plexi glass and parts for the new wall mount case is looking to be around $1100 dollars. I even didn't skimp on the PCI-E extension cable and went with the $100+ dollar 3M shielded one. I will post pic's once I have everything put together and up and running... lets see just how much better the Intel I74790K is when playing MWO shall we?

Should be interesting... Once again.... I am not a AMD fanboy by any means, this will lay it to rest as I do side by side comparisons with both systems, and film it to post on youtube. Let the fun begin, I haven't put a new system together since last year...and as always, I find that its a itch that needs to be scratched! :D

Edited by Bill Lumbar, 19 February 2015 - 02:34 PM.

#2 xWiredx

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,805 posts

Posted 19 February 2015 - 01:56 PM

Considering your mins will immediately be better, and high mins are good for the eyes, I think you'll be okay. Anecdotal crap like "I don't see a difference" is for the birds when numbers show a 20% difference. I don't remember if its actually 20%, but it probably was (or higher). If you plan on trying to sync to a higher refresh rate, like 144, it's the only way to go.

#3 Bill Lumbar

• Death Star
  • 2,073 posts

Posted 19 February 2015 - 02:12 PM

View PostxWiredx, on 19 February 2015 - 01:56 PM, said:

Considering your mins will immediately be better, and high mins are good for the eyes, I think you'll be okay. Anecdotal crap like "I don't see a difference" is for the birds when numbers show a 20% difference. I don't remember if its actually 20%, but it probably was (or higher). If you plan on trying to sync to a higher refresh rate, like 144, it's the only way to go.

Well I am gonna try to hold out on upgrading my 7970 3gb for right now till ATI puts out the new cards. It was a challenge for sure since the XFX 290X 4 and 8 gb cards are on sale right now on the egg. As for the 144 hz on the monitor, that won't be happening right now and most likely in the near future with the new BenQ 32" 2560x1440P monitor I just got from the egg. I have heard that it can go up to 75hz though. :D

I hear what you are saying about how most of the time the "I don't see the difference" argument doesn't hold much water Wired, but as I said before, I am rather picky about my gaming experience and always have been. If I see a issue with my rig, I upgrade to something that I don't see the issue with. Once I get this all put together and up and running I will post results and my opinions on the matter. I never claimed that Intel owners didn't see a improvement over AMD CPU users, but unless one is building a brand new system out the gate, I have always wondered and said, "is it really needed or worth it the cost of going Intel?" We will find out soon enough. I am guessing if the weather doesn't mess things up I will be getting the I7 and new Z97 as soon as tomorrow. I am kinda excited :D

Well the 3m cable just came...... I hope it was worth the $100+ dollars spent on it. I was gonna go with a cheaper one, but I heard some had issues with interference and blue screens from using cheaper ones.

Posted Image

Posted Image

The most likely retired FX-8350 rig once the Intel gets here :lol:

Posted Image

Edited by Bill Lumbar, 19 February 2015 - 02:27 PM.

#4 Bill Lumbar

• Death Star
  • 2,073 posts

Posted 19 February 2015 - 02:52 PM

View PostJesus DIED for me, on 19 February 2015 - 02:40 PM, said:

Good for you.

As far as frozen cpu.. I googled the pic of their location once and it's a warehouse in New York.. and you know how New York Mafia is, so I am not surprised. They do have a large selection of things online though. I was thinking of buying Sarcon Fujipoly 17 mK/w thermal tape from them at some point but that stuff is too expensive so I left it be. Good to hear about their customer treatment, although they did reply to my in e-mail when I inquired about a specific detail not mentioned on their web site about the thermal tape in question.

I don't know when you got a reply from FrozenCPU...but just in the last three weeks all hell has broke out with the owner and his employees/ex-staff. You can google it and it will come up, even with pictures of the "warehouse" and their very small New Jersey location. The word is that one of the employees drove a truck through one of the warehouse walls, and the owner is a drug addict. Its been around Three years or so since I last ordered any parts from them for my rigs, but they always got them to me on time. I tried to call both numbers on the website, emailed them, and no response in emails, and the numbers have been shut off. I should of got my parts by the 15th and didn't. They are dead in the water man, I would of already shut my card off and got a new one after getting my money back from my card provider, but I have several other charges pending right now for other parts, and other companies. I will have to wait till they come through before I can have my card provider refund the amount as a fraudulent charge. Word is the owner went on a binge and fired all his employees or they quit his a$$. It is claimed he tried to save face and told several sources that he was trying to find new staff to hire, and he was running on a skeleton crew and still shipping orders. From my experience's with them, this is not the case, and they charged over $80 on my card, and never shipped the items I purchased, nor did they contact me to inform me of anything, nor have they responded to my emails. With their phones shut off...this is a classic red flag.

Thankfully, Mountain mods had the same part for my water loop, and was only $3 dollars higher. The standard shipping with them was through UPS, but they couldn't get UPS to ship it today, so they went with FedEX to ensure shipping of the parts today, at no extra cost to me. I love mountain mods, and have always had very good experiences when ordering from them.

Its too bad about FrozenCPU... I used to use them and they was a go to company, but not anymore and seem shady as F$#K now.

Edited by Bill Lumbar, 19 February 2015 - 02:57 PM.

#5 Bill Lumbar

• Death Star
  • 2,073 posts

Posted 19 February 2015 - 03:09 PM

Btw Wired..... It was really a hard call not to go with the Z99 and the I75820K and I know you swear by it. I almost did go with it, but I would of had no choice but to drive 2+ hours to Micro center to get it since they have the best prices with the combo. From what I researched though.... the difference from the Z97 and the I74790K with DDR3 really was not enough to justify the drive and the extra cost, at least not for me at this time. DDR4 prices are just insane right now, and I think this upgrade will do just fine for a year at least till we all see some new hardware from Intel.

Edited by Bill Lumbar, 19 February 2015 - 03:09 PM.

#6 xWiredx

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,805 posts

Posted 19 February 2015 - 03:21 PM

DDR4 prices -are- insane. Totally agree. There really isn't going to be much if any difference between the 4790K and the 5820K for gaming (or at least not MWO), I went for the extra cores and DDR4 for other reasons (VMs and development work). I do swear by my machine, though, this thing is a beast and MWO cannot deny me my framerates!

#7 Flapdrol

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,986 posts

Posted 19 February 2015 - 03:28 PM

Ddr4 is about 50% more expensive, wasn't it much worse when ddr3 launched?

#8 Bill Lumbar

• Death Star
  • 2,073 posts

Posted 19 February 2015 - 03:35 PM

Like I said, it was really tempting to go with the X99 and the 5820K.... hell to be honest I even considered the 5830K... but I would of had to drop like $980 vs. $600 for the 4790K. Its when I priced out the DDR4 is where it killed it for me. Plus with new hardware coming out any time now, I really figured I couldn't go wrong with the Z97 platform right now.

Yeah DDR3 was pretty insane when it first launched.... and that is why I waited to purchase any. I think on top of it when DDR3 was first launched there was a serious supply and demand issue because of a natural disaster or something. From what I am seeing, no real performance gains using DDR4 yet..... price is just not worth it to me.

I guess my biggest worry and reason for excitement is what gains will I see with the new Intel set up vs. the FX-8350? Is it gonna be worth it.... time will tell. Come on UPS....get er done!

I have to wait for the mother board and the cooling parts to get here before I start to cut the granite and figure out placement on the wall mounted granite pc case I am building.... the waiting is the hardest part! :lol:

Edited by Bill Lumbar, 19 February 2015 - 04:01 PM.

#9 Doctor Brontosaurus

Rookie

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 4 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationSpokane, Cascadia Bioregion, Terra

Posted 20 February 2015 - 11:31 AM

Well that took a strange turn...

Pretty sad to hear about FrozenCPU, I did business with them for a decade at least.

#10 Bill Lumbar

• Death Star
  • 2,073 posts

Posted 20 February 2015 - 11:52 AM

View PostDoctor Brontosaurus, on 20 February 2015 - 11:31 AM, said:

Well that took a strange turn...

Pretty sad to hear about FrozenCPU, I did business with them for a decade at least.

Yeah it is kinda sad... I also had done business with them for several years prior to this turn of events. I still am waiting on my money back from my card company, and I have still not heard any response from email from FrozenCPU. Oh well, live and learn....

#11 Bill Lumbar

• Death Star
  • 2,073 posts

Posted 20 February 2015 - 02:02 PM

Ups came through and dropped off the parts today....this should be fun :D

Posted Image

#12 xWiredx

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,805 posts

Posted 20 February 2015 - 02:09 PM

You know, I have mixed feelings about my Gigabyte motherboard (the Gaming G1 Wifi). It hasn't been particularly easy to get a stable OC, and their BIOS releases are a major part of that (the last beta one was beta for over 2 months, now they've finally pushed out a couple of stable ones in a row). The mouse sensitivity in the UEFI BIOS is basically move the mouse an inch and the cursor will move about 1/8 of an inch. On the plus side, it does have some nice features to it. Overall, though, if I had to do it again, I'd go ASUS.

#13 Bill Lumbar

• Death Star
  • 2,073 posts

Posted 20 February 2015 - 02:34 PM

View PostxWiredx, on 20 February 2015 - 02:09 PM, said:

You know, I have mixed feelings about my Gigabyte motherboard (the Gaming G1 Wifi). It hasn't been particularly easy to get a stable OC, and their BIOS releases are a major part of that (the last beta one was beta for over 2 months, now they've finally pushed out a couple of stable ones in a row). The mouse sensitivity in the UEFI BIOS is basically move the mouse an inch and the cursor will move about 1/8 of an inch. On the plus side, it does have some nice features to it. Overall, though, if I had to do it again, I'd go ASUS.

Yeah... I hear you Wired... I love gigabyte boards and have had really good luck with them in the last several years. My 775 board is still running strong with my Q9550 in it. I almost went Asrock OC extreme one, and considered the Asus hero II board also....but in the end I picked this one up on combo for only $453 to my door. I think I will be happy with it, I hope I will....we will see. I am just excited to have it here today and getting started on placement of cuts into my granite wall mount case I am building.... I dropped the CPU in to the socket...and OMG... it takes a bit of force to lock it into place. Wow! I will most likely get the OS installed on this tonight even if its not in a case to see what it can do... but I really want that Raven 3L camp this weekend! So, I will have to see how much time I have to make all this happen. I hope you guys was right about the I7 4790K vs. the FX-8350 man... we will see. :P

#14 Meta 2013

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 131 posts
  • LocationNorth Eastern US

Posted 20 February 2015 - 03:48 PM

Congrates on the new build, always fun to put a new rig together. Frozen cpu, darn they had some of the hard to find stuff. Ahh well.

I like your discussion on the DDR3 and 4, when I built this rig, I was going for over clocking, and really trying to learn the best way to optimize a rig for performance. I have worked in electronics for 30 years, and while I have had to optimize all types of electronic equipment, never gave my computer much thought. Anyhow, Getting performance out of Ram, is a tricky business at best, first off, the more ram you have, the worse your performance. Do you really notice it, naw, not unless your bench marking.

The whole point of triple channel, quad channel is to use the Extra lanes in parallel, banks with high capacity memory, take longer to fill before moving to the next bank on another channel. What that means ... 4 banks of 1 gig memory sticks will be faster than 4 banks of 4 gig memory sticks. DDr3 vs. DDr4, as with all memories, its more about matching up all the clocks so your not creating wait states. Optimized DDR3 can easily crush a poorly set up DDr4 setup. Most of us do not have the proper equipment at home to really optimize all the busses and timing to hit that sweet spot of most bang for the clock cycle.

An example, is the pci express buss clock, 100 MHz may not be the sweet spot,it may be 101.75, or 104.113 the closer you get to that, the better your performance. Those are small things that do add up, 10 FPS or more can easily be gained with a properly clocked system. Not OVER clocking, just properly setup. Of course a properly over clocked system will give better gains.

The biggest thing to effect your system performance is all the crap loaded up on the task bar etc. all the little cutesy programs that chew up bandwidth. All the extra processes you do not need that windows starts. ignoring all of the above, and making sure you have the bare min running will net the Biggest gains.

#15 Marvyn Dodgers

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,859 posts
  • LocationCanuck transplanted in the US

Posted 20 February 2015 - 04:49 PM

Okay, we seem to be back on topic folks, please keep it there

#16 Catamount

• LIEUTENANT, JUNIOR GRADE
  • 3,305 posts
  • LocationBoone, NC

Posted 20 February 2015 - 05:15 PM

View PostMarvyn Dodgers, on 20 February 2015 - 04:49 PM, said:

Okay, we seem to be back on topic folks, please keep it there

You can't tell me what to do! You're not my real dad!

Anyways

Bill, sounds like sweet setup you're getting going, but I'm curious. With that huge OC planned, what PSU did you pick, of have laying around to use, to power it all?

#17 Bill Lumbar

• Death Star
  • 2,073 posts

Posted 20 February 2015 - 08:59 PM

View PostCatamount, on 20 February 2015 - 05:15 PM, said:

You can't tell me what to do! You're not my real dad!

Anyways

Bill, sounds like sweet setup you're getting going, but I'm curious. With that huge OC planned, what PSU did you pick, of have laying around to use, to power it all?

Well guys... its been a interesting day, and with the patch issue.. and now the new build I have missed out on some points for sure to get the Raven.

I have several PSU's laying around and in other builds. One of them, and the first one I went with to power this baby up was a Rosewill RX-950 watt I got around 4 years ago. It has handled every rig I have ever thrown at it, raid set ups, crossfire, lighting...water pumps, you name it it has handled it. First go around, fired the new build up bare bones with just a dvd drive, hard drive, ram, CPU, hit the power button and it powered on for a sec, then went into a cycle that was never ending of powing on, shutting off. I was just about to call up Newegg for a RMA, when it dawned on me that a couple years ago PSU companies started putting on the specs... I7 ready. I guess there is a reason for that, because I switched up to a brand new Rosewill 750 fortress platium I just bought a few months ago and she is all good now.

I have Windows 10 installed on a Seagate 1.5 tb drive that is 7200rpm to test out the new rig for right now till I get the new wall mount case built and install the OS on my SSD drive. I am doing all the updates now, getting ready to down load MWO and give it a go guys. I have a feeling its gonna be a while before I get to drop in any matches.... maybe even tomorrow.

I can't wait to see the difference in game with the new system. :D

Btw.... one more little hitch... I installed the Killer Lan drivers I downloaded from Gigabytes website, and it shows I have Internet connection, but when I go to the settings it shows only I4 connected...and no I6 connetivey. So at this time Killer lan 2200 is sucking a$$ in Windows 10 and not working. I had to install a Asus N-15N wireless card to get on the internet, and using Window 7 drivers for it. Any suggestions on getting the Killer Lan 2200 to work? I have heard others have had issues with this chipset also

Edited by Bill Lumbar, 20 February 2015 - 09:03 PM.

#18 Thorqemada

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,365 posts

Posted 21 February 2015 - 05:41 AM

I thought Qualcomm stepped away from the Killer stuff since they have shut down their Drivers site at the very end of last year.
If the Win8.1 Drivers dont work try simply to install them form the device Manager andyou can try online search for Drivers also, maybe Win10 finds some in its Driver library.

Maybe this can help you out...
http://www.techpower...-ar8161.198899/

#19 Catamount

• LIEUTENANT, JUNIOR GRADE
  • 3,305 posts
  • LocationBoone, NC

Posted 21 February 2015 - 05:46 AM

Rosewill Extreme? That's going a little ways back to yesteryear :) I bought my RX750 like 6 or 7 years ago, great unit for the price, but it hasn't seen use in a long time.

Edited by Catamount, 21 February 2015 - 05:47 AM.

#20 Bill Lumbar

• Death Star
  • 2,073 posts

Posted 21 February 2015 - 08:42 AM

View PostCatamount, on 21 February 2015 - 05:46 AM, said:

Rosewill Extreme? That's going a little ways back to yesteryear :) I bought my RX750 like 6 or 7 years ago, great unit for the price, but it hasn't seen use in a long time.

Yeap.... I also have the little brother of the 950 also...my RX-750 is still in use in my media/gaming rig with the Phenom II 960T build I have that runs 24/7. I hear so much crap on Tomshardware from members back when I was building several gaming rigs about how crappy Rosewill PSU's were, but I tried to explain to them that these ones was different. Johny Guru did a write up on them and they passed with flying colors, and got like a 9.5 or 10 out of 10. When they opened them up, many of the parts used were the same as on PC power cooling PSU's. They have never let me down in the last 4+ years and with heavy use on them. I am kinda shocked that the I7 and the new gaming five board will not boot with the RX-950.... oh well.

I had to scrap using Windows 10 right now, I am very unstable and getting lock ups in it for some reason. Not sure what is going on, but something isn't right and my rig freezes up but I can still move my mouse. I installed Window 7 last night, and just now almost have everything ready to go. I used the XMP profile for my ram, and not that this means much, but while running the Windows score performance test, my ram is only at 7.8 score and so is the I7..... with my FX-8350 at 4.8ghz my ram scored 7.9 with the FX at 7.8. Lol. I about $hit at the point it tested the CPU.... temps it in the high 80's, my water block can't come soon enough!

Still no luck with the Killer 2200 lan working.... I almost went with the Asrock professional mother board... I almost wish I did now.

Edited by Bill Lumbar, 21 February 2015 - 08:50 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users