Super Nova

49 replies to this topic

#1 Fenix Primal

• Pip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 10 posts

Posted 11 February 2015 - 12:39 PM

Ok, I love the nova's no matter how unliked some people think of them, but here is my thing, i want to build different kinds of nova's, including brawlers, support, and sniper, anyone got awesome sauce opinions willing to work with me?

#2 Bigbacon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,088 posts

Posted 12 February 2015 - 06:08 AM

if you have the new A variant you can do a sniper, sorta, with putting ERPPCs in each of the side torsos and loading up DHS. You have two nice shield arms

#3 Lily from animove

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts
  • LocationOn a dropship to Terra

Posted 13 February 2015 - 03:13 AM

sniping, will best be done with the new variant, 2 PPC's one in eahc torso side. Then poptart with it.

Brawling? well forget it. only way to brawl is porbbaly 12 CERSL and laods of hetsinks, yet you are superszed and supersquishy, and wiht the hp buffs many IS mechs have gotten brawling is a no go for the Nova. You need to sneka up from behind, which only works vs bad opponents whith such a shaped mech.

Support? well you can try to stuff ams as support on it, yet most experienced people know how to deal with lrm's so hardly anyone uses ams. The best way to support is porbably also again MG's and some CERSL. and help your fatties and lrm boats to stay clean from pesky lights.

AC's are not really an option, too heavy and no valid ammo + backupweapons will be left. a bit sad because if those fixd 4DHS would ot be, it would probably allow some nice builds able to use AC's.

actually, I am running this:

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...57fce016ea59d01 (but distribute armor as you please)

its basically the damage support hybrid, you can also drop a DHS for a bap if you want to annoy your opponents ecm mechs.

The build runs great for me, because the 6CERML give you a good range punch, while the 6 CERSL help you support vs. lights (except firestarters and ravens, which just cheat any existing laserhitreg) and brawls, because they are a lot more heat efficient. Also they they make up some room for additional DHS. Also the build runs very fine in heta management for me. (But I also can play a stock Nova fine).

I dropped the MG's entirely, since they hardly have any use tbh. vs lights they spread too much, I was like 10 seconds with 4 MG's on them and it hardly changed anything. And I try to avoid getting that close to any other Bigger mechs, where spread wouldn't mater. Simply because the AC and srm range is something you should avoid if possible. Nova is jst too big and easy to hit or take any components off to brawl.

get seismic, its your no.1 spy module you will need above every other to prevent any accidently CQC encounters. I consider this a lot more important than Radar derp.

about "shield arms2 just NO

Posted Image

Unless you face rather inexperienced palyers, you will not be able to shield anything, because those players know where to shoot, and you arms will not shield anything.

I would even go

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...1768a5f8fea6a8d

at least in april when we get the A variant for c-bills.

Edited by Lily from animove, 13 February 2015 - 03:25 AM.

#4 eFTy

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 296 posts

Posted 13 February 2015 - 06:00 AM

I've had good success with 4x ERML in each arm as well as 3x ERML & 3x ERSL in each arm.

At one point I did try torso sniping, but the Nova just doesn't feel nimble enough for that. I did do well with a -S variant with 2x ERLL & 4x ERSL. I'd sit out as far as possible from the enemy and just poke poke poke with the ERLLs, and only used the ERSLs when lights came visiting, while praying for assistance (and at the same time praying the assistance doesn't kill me as well with FF).

Most important aspect about driving he Nova is that you have jumpjets. USE THEM. Try to get into weird positions where enemies won't expect you to be.

#5 Bigbacon

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,088 posts

Posted 13 February 2015 - 06:14 AM

could do close support with the 12SL option. with modules and a small TC you can get into the 230m range on them. Stick with others and just don't fire all 12 at or near the same time and you can lay down some damage.

only downside is, range and heat management. Nice light swiper. Just don't get out alone and out in the open. On some maps you are pretty much useless. You can go 12SL with an ERLL in the ST if you remove extra DHS if you want at least some ranged option.

#6 stalima

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Guardian
  • Guardian
  • 227 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 13 February 2015 - 07:22 AM

just go with 10 er small lasers with 1 large pulse laser and the rest as heat sinks.

it gives you a deadly 63 damage alpha and doesnt take your entire heat bar in order to do it either.

#7 Lily from animove

• The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts

Posted 13 February 2015 - 07:41 AM

View Poststalima, on 13 February 2015 - 07:22 AM, said:

just go with 10 er small lasers with 1 large pulse laser and the rest as heat sinks.

it gives you a deadly 63 damage alpha and doesnt take your entire heat bar in order to do it either.

thats nonsense, you get ghostheat for those 4 weapons above the heat penalty number and you waste a load of heat for a rather lousy alpha.

The nova is a mech where youw ill not try to create alpha build, because there is a lot more dps potential beyond those alphabuilds.

Edited by Lily from animove, 13 February 2015 - 07:41 AM.

#8 DONTOR

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,806 posts
  • LocationStuck on a piece of Commando in my Ice Ferret

Posted 13 February 2015 - 10:58 AM

View PostLily from animove, on 13 February 2015 - 07:41 AM, said:

thats nonsense, you get ghostheat for those 4 weapons above the heat penalty number and you waste a load of heat for a rather lousy alpha.

The nova is a mech where youw ill not try to create alpha build, because there is a lot more dps potential beyond those alphabuilds.

DPS builds mean you have alot of face time with the enemy, Novas are terrible at taking damage. I would go the alpha route. You are right about the extra 4 CERSLs though. 4-6 CERMLs and a CLPL could be the best of both worlds and give you alot more range. Staying at range has been the most profitable way to play the Nova in my expierence. Just to big and not fast enough to fight at closer ranges.

#9 Bespoke Cheese Cake

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Caladbolg
  • Caladbolg
  • 225 posts
  • LocationThem Interwebs, often in K-Town

Posted 26 February 2015 - 12:14 AM

12 Small Pulse Lasers (6 in each arm) use two firing groups (left and right) get in close with a steady aim and destroy your opponent's face.

Also of note the "SuperNova" is a 90 ton Clan assault battle mech, it used 6 ERLL in its Prime config. The Supernova was produced before the Nova.

Here is the Sarna Article

#10 Lily from animove

• The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts

Posted 26 February 2015 - 05:25 AM

View PostBespoke Cheese Cake, on 26 February 2015 - 12:14 AM, said:

12 Small Pulse Lasers (6 in each arm) use two firing groups (left and right) get in close with a steady aim and destroy your opponent's face.

Also of note the "SuperNova" is a 90 ton Clan assault battle mech, it used 6 ERLL in its Prime config. The Supernova was produced before the Nova.

Here is the Sarna Article

I wonder if when PGi would make clanomnis like IS mechs havign inflated hardpoints, making it a 6 E per arm. that would be really interesting, would slap laods of lasers on a supernova. 2LPL, 4 CERM in one arm, and 6 CERSL int he other.

#11 Reaper3015

• PipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 82 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 26 February 2015 - 05:54 AM

The two Nova builds I've had the most fun/actually had work.

Nova Prime: I use this one for light hunting while sticking with assault mechs.
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...8d493d920e491bb

Nova S: Good midrange/close up build.
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...773c29f57da939c

The one thing I have noticed is that by running the Nova second string and supporting some assault/heavy mechs, you tend to do much better than trying to use it solo.

Modules for range make these much better. I HAD the cooldown reduction modules on them, but that makes it a lot easier to overheat if your in a fight and not paying attention to the little bar that says your about to shutdown/blow yourself up.

#12 NUJRSYDEVIL

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 331 posts

Posted 26 February 2015 - 06:01 AM

I saw someone use the 12 ERSL Nova yesterday on Crimson City and get 1000 damage. It's not advisable, but I suppose if you practice enough with it it could be very effective.

#13 Reaper3015

• PipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 82 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 26 February 2015 - 06:11 AM

The trick with the 12 ERSL Nova I run is the 4x MG's. One Arm's worth of SL's inside effective range will tear through armor, opening the insides for the MG's to go to work. Staying with assaults/looking for targets that have been hit already is another key point I've found running it. Nova's are definitely not a solo the enemy unless you have a lot of practice using the jumpjets to turn faster/get out of the line of fire.

#14 Lily from animove

• The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts

Posted 26 February 2015 - 06:44 AM

View PostReaper3015, on 26 February 2015 - 06:11 AM, said:

The trick with the 12 ERSL Nova I run is the 4x MG's. One Arm's worth of SL's inside effective range will tear through armor, opening the insides for the MG's to go to work. Staying with assaults/looking for targets that have been hit already is another key point I've found running it. Nova's are definitely not a solo the enemy unless you have a lot of practice using the jumpjets to turn faster/get out of the line of fire.

but 12 ERSL is extremely niche and as you said very much team dependned, and a pinch of hope to be ignored by opponents. Novas are high priority emchs for me on the battlefield, because they are easy to kill and so one of the fastest way to lower the firepower of theopponents team very quick. City maps are amazing with this build caustic and tourmaline only in specific spots, however alpine is the worst you cna get in this mech.

patience is probably the most important skill a Novas pilot needs, because tiny mstakes can be your end. Playing a SCR I cna derp around so much and then I still think: "wow im still no dead yet, rofl"

View PostReaper3015, on 26 February 2015 - 05:54 AM, said:

The two Nova builds I've had the most fun/actually had work.

Nova Prime: I use this one for light hunting while sticking with assault mechs.
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...8d493d920e491bb

Nova S: Good midrange/close up build.
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...773c29f57da939c

The one thing I have noticed is that by running the Nova second string and supporting some assault/heavy mechs, you tend to do much better than trying to use it solo.

Modules for range make these much better. I HAD the cooldown reduction modules on them, but that makes it a lot easier to overheat if your in a fight and not paying attention to the little bar that says your about to shutdown/blow yourself up.

thats is a bit much mg ammo tbh, I mean what serious team of opponents will have you long enough within mg range to shoot all this MG ammo off without being able to plop you?

Edited by Lily from animove, 26 February 2015 - 06:48 AM.

#15 Reaper3015

• PipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 82 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 26 February 2015 - 07:55 AM

View PostLily from animove, on 26 February 2015 - 06:44 AM, said:

thats is a bit much mg ammo tbh, I mean what serious team of opponents will have you long enough within mg range to shoot all this MG ammo off without being able to plop you?

Depends on the match/opponents. I ran less, but I found myself running out of ammo. Also with the MG's I don't worry about shooting across someone following a target, due to the much lower odds of killing them. Personally, it works for me and how I run the nova up close and personal with people as the match progresses.

#16 deadflight84

Rookie

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 7 posts

Posted 26 February 2015 - 08:10 AM

i got ace of spades with Left arm er large laser Right arm 6 small pulse lasers, did 1100 dmg that round too.

Edited by deadflight84, 26 February 2015 - 08:14 AM.

#17 Escef

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 8,529 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationNew England

Posted 26 February 2015 - 05:28 PM

I have a 6xERSL, 3xMG, 1xUAC5 Nova that works pretty well. It's a strange mix, but I like it well enough.

#18 EX S

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 107 posts

Posted 26 February 2015 - 05:53 PM

I run a near stock S build on mine. I took out AMS for a heatsink and switched CAP for Targeting Comp Mk. 1. I've had VERY good results with it thus far.
Then again, I've only been playing for about 3 months or so. My ELO might be low enough where I can get away with using a Nova in the first place.

I use it for midrange poking until I can get within brawling range. I use my jumpjets to throw off aim and spread damage to my legs, and I alpha when below 60% heat to try and end the fight more quickly in case someone else decides to join in. Despite the fact that the hitboxes aren't great, twisting and spreading damage to STs and arms does help me survive much longer.

With that said, I tried a similar build (6CMPL) on a Stormcrow and I had similar results with less effort. I prefer the Nova purely because of aesthetics, but I won't deny that using something else will make whatever you want to do much easier.

#19 Nightshade24

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3,972 posts
  • LocationSolaris VII

Posted 26 February 2015 - 06:06 PM

Can you change the topic name? "Supernova" is the name of a 90 ton clan battlemech that the Nova was based off. It has 6 C ER Large lasers stock.

Anyway, I think nova will get lots of quirks.

ER med las,
Med pulse las
ER PPC's.
UAC5 / Ballistic general.
Missile general / SRM general (for when the missile variants come in... which is already in the game files under art assets)
etc...

Thoes will be the best bets for weapon quirks.

#20 Aiden Skye

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Galaxy Commander II
  • Galaxy Commander II
  • 1,364 posts
  • LocationThe Rock

Posted 26 February 2015 - 06:28 PM

Supernova? where?!?! I want one!!

As far as the nova goes....who says it can't brawl?

SHREDDER

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users