Kurita Units, Why So Much Light Rushing

192 replies to this topic

#21 The Droid

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • 186 posts

Posted 02 March 2015 - 09:03 AM

Lights are not a "broken mechanic", anyone who can actually aim can stop them. Clanners have it even easier given some of the weapons they have.

In summary:

#22 Bashfulsalamander

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 229 posts
  • Locationnot looking at forums

Posted 02 March 2015 - 09:08 AM

View PostMischiefSC, on 02 March 2015 - 08:58 AM, said:

Blaming exploiting a broken mechanic on other people not being better than you to overcome it is stupid. It's the same logic that was used to justify lrmageddon and ppc spam days. Broken mechanic is broken. I get why and I can certainly use (and do use) the same thing. Same as I boated ppcs for 18 months of ppcspam days. Doesn't make it not broken.

its not broken get the point

The only solution for this is to add a win condition like that of counter attack.... destroy the enemy base and get most kills....
THAT is how you fix gameplay with out nerfing perfectly good mechs.

#23 Lord DeicideRavenRose

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 127 posts

Posted 02 March 2015 - 10:00 AM

View PostMischiefSC, on 01 March 2015 - 10:57 PM, said:

If it's broke, don't fix it until everyone has gotten bored of abusing the holy living **** out of it.

The light rush is pretty broke. Light mechs need to be broke a bit so they're not worthless in pug queue. In CW, 12 lights all doing 150+ breaks hitreg like we're all on dial-up. So you get 12 mechs that don't register most hits popping 30 pt alphas like pills at an Oscars after-party.

Of course people exploit the crap out of it. It's effective.

Huh? What? This is the first I've ever heard of anything like that. I've never had any problems hitting +150kp/h mechs at speed; especially not ones that are focused on objectives.

Actually, I take that back. I did have a problem hitting them when I first started playing MWO. I'd never played a Mechwarrior game before, and it was very different from what I was used to. Fun though!

I think you just need to practice a bit more, dude. Maybe watch some of our matches on the warpig stream.

#24 Murphy7

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,553 posts
  • LocationAttleboro, MA

Posted 02 March 2015 - 10:27 AM

Light rush bridges the skill gap - takes 10x more skill to beat than it takes to execute. That is why it is a broken mechanic. Hitreg issues, huge hard point inflation on firestarters. There is never going to be a point where that isn't the case - teams that put that same effort into improving their light rush will see a commensurate advantage on attack drops.

What I appear to be reading here is "forward thinking excuse making", because:

If you beat the light rush, it is because of your skill and ability.
If you lose to the light rush, it is because the tactic is broken and abusive.

It looks like gaming on the internet to me, nothing special to see here.

Personally, I do not find myself enjoying community warfare all that much, because in many cases expediency is dictated by the strategy of the galactic map over the tactics in use in a competitive match. There is a lot not to like:

Light rushes to acquire speedy victories.

Defensive camping the dropship shelf interior in Hellbore during a "Hold Territory" drop - no fun.

Piling groups on planet to acquire a mix of live drops and ghost drops - meaning intentionally subjecting oneself to a long queue just to drop against turrets for a control piece on a dot on a starmap.... yay?

And when I think about it, the light rush itself is not a problem, it is a symptom. A larger, open map with multiple objectives and significant choices to be made both on offense and defense would be really welcome. The narrow paths of our current CW maps have facilitated narrow thinking in terms of winning tactics. Hate the game, not the players.

#25 Musashi Alexander

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 213 posts

Posted 02 March 2015 - 10:57 AM

Are IS forces allowed anything which is advantageous against clans? Or must everything clan be superior? One mode, one tactic and even that can be stopped by proper loadouts, coordination and skill. Is that too much?

#26 MischiefSC

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 16,697 posts

Posted 02 March 2015 - 10:57 AM

It's not that a light rush can't be beat, it's that it is harder to beat a light rush than to run one. Even PGI has admitted there are some hitreg issues. There are more issues registering a hit on a firestarter than an atlas. Not that the target is smaller but that the hit is less likely to properly register. Lasers have more issue with this than projectiles.

I'm not hating the players; I run a light (sometimes two) in my deck. Especially on attack one out two well executed zergs are the ideal tactic and work well. I ran ppcs +acs in the ppc spam era. I've certainly popped a lot of tarts.

Just call it what it is. Lights punch way above where they should and due to hitreg and on some cases hotbox issues take more damage than they should. That is fine in pugs but is an issue in cw. Exploiting that is like load in up the erppc thuds pre-nerf. Can you beat the? Of course. Doesn't mean it's a balanced mechanic.

#27 MischiefSC

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 16,697 posts

Posted 02 March 2015 - 11:02 AM

Clans are their own sort of broke. Wait until they get the new light with ecm, it'll be like a spider but with a firestarters firepower. That'll be awesome. The solution to a broken mechanic is not an equally broken mechanic.

#28 HARDKOR

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,309 posts

Posted 02 March 2015 - 11:08 AM

Boredom is OP.

#29 Necromantion

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,193 posts
  • LocationBC, Canada

Posted 02 March 2015 - 11:21 AM

View PostMusashi Alexander, on 02 March 2015 - 10:57 AM, said:

Are IS forces allowed anything which is advantageous against clans? Or must everything clan be superior? One mode, one tactic and even that can be stopped by proper loadouts, coordination and skill. Is that too much?

Firestarters
Spider Lag shield
Dual gauss Jager/Pract builds
Edit: TDR 5SS
Stalker 4N
TDR 9SE
QKD-4K

Lower heat quirks
Lower burn time on lasers
Frontloaded damage AC's

Edited by Necromantion, 02 March 2015 - 11:49 AM.

#30 Dreammirror

• PipPipPip
  • Mercenary Rank 6
  • 55 posts

Posted 02 March 2015 - 11:23 AM

I don't have a problem with anyone using light rushes to accomplish their goals. CW is total warfare; you use whatever strategy works. Nor is it unbeatable. If you are inner sphere, wubthunderbolts, double Gauss rifle jaegarmechs or anything with double AC 20s work just fine. Hot map is harder to defend ill agree but still doable. If clan, 3-4 steakboat crows will wreak it.
My point is, if fighting inner sphere, especially kurita, plan to counter it. Having teamspeak and a good drop commander coordinating helps 100%!

Edited by Dreammirror, 02 March 2015 - 11:26 AM.

#31 hopterque

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 412 posts

Posted 02 March 2015 - 11:24 AM

View PostNecromantion, on 02 March 2015 - 11:21 AM, said:

Firestarters
Spider Lag shield
TDR 9SS
Stalker 4N
TDR 9SE
QKD-4K

Lower heat quirks
Frontloaded damage AC's

This just reads like you typed out the words "I'm Really Bad" a bunch, to be honest.

Actually I guess that's really what you did.

#32 Necromantion

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,193 posts
  • LocationBC, Canada

Posted 02 March 2015 - 11:30 AM

View Posthopterque, on 02 March 2015 - 11:24 AM, said:

This just reads like you typed out the words "I'm Really Bad" a bunch, to be honest.

Actually I guess that's really what you did.

Sorry did I forget jenners from your light rushes? Is that why youre upset?

#33 Michael Costanza

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 258 posts

Posted 02 March 2015 - 11:31 AM

Since most dropship decks end up with a light anyway, it makes sense to use them on an objective.

#34 Michael Costanza

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 258 posts

Posted 02 March 2015 - 11:36 AM

As far as the hits not registering, it's actually a little canon to tabletop where an enemy mech's speed affects their chances of being hit. In lieu of something such as automated targeting (which should actually exist, right?), it should be harder to hit a fast small mech than a big slow mech.

#35 Musashi Alexander

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 213 posts

Posted 02 March 2015 - 11:37 AM

View PostNecromantion, on 02 March 2015 - 11:21 AM, said:

Firestarters
Spider Lag shield
TDR 9SS
Stalker 4N
TDR 9SE
QKD-4K

Lower heat quirks
Frontloaded damage AC's

I'm going to assume that's a joke.

#36 hopterque

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 412 posts

Posted 02 March 2015 - 11:41 AM

View PostMusashi Alexander, on 02 March 2015 - 11:37 AM, said:

It's No Joke, He's Really That Bad.

#37 Necromantion

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,193 posts
  • LocationBC, Canada

Posted 02 March 2015 - 11:44 AM

View PostMusashi Alexander, on 02 March 2015 - 11:37 AM, said:

Why would it be a joke?

Firestarters are the best light mech in game for damage and any skilled pilot in one should be able to do 600-1000 dmg in one.

Spiders still have broken hitboxes when moving at high speeds

Dual gauss is a great build for attrition and pinpoint damage.

The 9SS 7MPuls or 3-4 ERLlas is an amazing mech with little heat and high alpha abilities for either long range or brawling with the extended range on mpulse

The 4N with 6LLas fired in groups of 2 and 3 is a fantastic mech due to the change of IS large laser heat quirks

The 9SE is a great mech with 3 large pulse

The QKD-4K Is great with 3Llas 3Mlas and a massive engine and jumpjets making it more mobile than a timberwolf.

Time you learnt to use quirks and modules if you think any of those mechs I listed are bad. Or perhaps the fact that you dont think those mechs have these strengths is the core of your problem.

#38 Ron Ron

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 162 posts

Posted 02 March 2015 - 11:46 AM

View PostNecromantion, on 02 March 2015 - 11:44 AM, said:

Why would it be a joke?

Firestarters are the best light mech in game for damage and any skilled pilot in one should be able to do 600-1000 dmg in one.

The 9SS 7MPuls or 3-4 ERLlas is an amazing mech with little heat and high alpha abilities for either long range or brawling with the extended range on mpulse

The 4N with 6LLas fired in groups of 2 and 3 is a fantastic mech due to the change of IS large laser heat quirks

The QKD-4K Is great with 3Llas 3Mlas and a massive engine and jumpjets making it more mobile than a timberwolf.

Time you learnt to use quirks and modules if you think any of those mechs I listed are bad. Or perhaps the fact that you dont think those mechs have these strengths is the core of your problem.

Hahaha. Die, Clanner.

#39 Bashfulsalamander

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 229 posts

Posted 02 March 2015 - 11:46 AM

View PostNecromantion, on 02 March 2015 - 11:30 AM, said:

Sorry did I forget jenners from your light rushes? Is that why your upset?

It probably has something to do with the wrong spelling of the mech variant acronyms... and wrong mechs.......

#40 Bashfulsalamander

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 229 posts

Posted 02 March 2015 - 11:49 AM

View PostNecromantion, on 02 March 2015 - 11:44 AM, said:

Why would it be a joke?

Oh and light hit reg is not messed up your aim is probably just bad. i play with lights frequently and have noticed nothing of the sort. if there is a problem it is probably your skill or internet connection.. dang lag
Also revise your loadouts those are not very CW like

Edited by Bashfulsalamander, 02 March 2015 - 11:50 AM.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users