Official Nkva Response To Marik Attack On Kurita

279 replies to this topic

#41 YCSLiesmith

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,040 posts

Posted 04 March 2015 - 03:00 PM

Imagine if you were good at a thing you enjoyed, like for instance stomping davion and marik noobs and laughing about it on webforums. Now imagine that every day, dots on a map changed color arbitrarily. It doesn't really matter what you do, they change as they will. fortunately, this has no real impact on you, except that every so often a dot changes color in such a way that you can now stomp more noobs. Are you going to invest a lot of energy in the map, or will you invest energy in the noob stomping?

#42 HARDKOR

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,309 posts

Posted 04 March 2015 - 03:20 PM

View PostYCSLiesmith, on 04 March 2015 - 03:00 PM, said:

Imagine if you were good at a thing you enjoyed, like for instance stomping davion and marik noobs and laughing about it on webforums. Now imagine that every day, dots on a map changed color arbitrarily. It doesn't really matter what you do, they change as they will. fortunately, this has no real impact on you, except that every so often a dot changes color in such a way that you can now stomp more noobs. Are you going to invest a lot of energy in the map, or will you invest energy in the noob stomping?

Posted Image

#43 YCSLiesmith

• 1,040 posts

Posted 04 March 2015 - 03:39 PM

View PostHARDKOR, on 04 March 2015 - 03:20 PM, said:

Posted Image

because one doesn't really impact anything, and is not in your control.

#44 Scoops Kerensky

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 716 posts

Posted 04 March 2015 - 03:43 PM

View PostYCSLiesmith, on 04 March 2015 - 03:39 PM, said:

because one doesn't really impact anything, and is not in your control.

Yeah, realtalk Hardkor the one or two counter-attack matches we've had against MS that were pure slugfests (that MS won!) will always be more impressive to me, a tag on Kentares IV is just whatever. Different philosophies for different units I suppose.

#45 YCSLiesmith

• 1,040 posts

Posted 04 March 2015 - 03:50 PM

Kentares is kind of a special case because the davions we were trolling at the time cared a lot about the lore, so it was worth it to take the site of a fictional tragedy and post about how it was all davion lies. But losing it cost us nothing, I didn't lose any sleep over it. actually when I heard that MS was attacking it I didn't even bother dropping in its defense.

#46 MischiefSC

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 16,697 posts

Posted 04 March 2015 - 03:50 PM

Yes but numbers and coordination do both. Saying something isn't in your control when it is, that's just an excuse. Whatever else you say about them the big merc units do both. Why not house loyalists?

#47 Scoops Kerensky

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 716 posts

Posted 04 March 2015 - 04:01 PM

I think it really depends on your priorities as a group. Would you accept all of NKVA into the 22nd Argyle if you knew they would keep up the same kinds of posts and went out of their way to start fights with other people in the unit, even if it meant Davion would start making progress on the paper map?

NKVA's priorities are about making sure that we as a group enjoy each other's company as well the company of the mercs and other loyalist units in Kurita. We've turned down offers from multiple people who were interested in joining us (and people interested in incorporating us!) just because there were people concerned they wouldn't 'get' our unit's culture. That matters more to us to maximize our enjoyment in-game.

I'd argue that since there's no 'win' condition for CW in terms of planets taken, there's no reason to prioritize the safety or collection of them long-term. Until there are gameplay incentives to hold planets, that'll always be the case.

#48 wanderer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 11,152 posts
  • LocationStomping around in a giant robot, of course.

Posted 04 March 2015 - 04:26 PM

So, let's see.

Marik just attacked Kurita first.
Without any more provocation than harsh language, all the while cuddling Fedrats because they bowed down and puckered up.

This is the "leadership of the new Star League"? Assaulting the Combine while the FRR wobbles on the edge of failure with units that could save it instead? Shameful.

We castigated Davion for striking left and right at it's neighbors as the Clans advanced. What example is the Free Worlds League now? Should we just abandon our defenses of our Clan-struck neighbors and start tearing at Marik worlds for funsies, perhaps? Perhaps pay off some horde of mercenaries and finish off the FRR so you can focus on the Combine? Would all this seem like the masterful tactics of a pack of blithering idiots?

Because attacking Altair was really really close to how jawdroppingly dim an act either of those would be. If Marik has so many troops it can spare an army to assault Kurita, I'm sure the FRR would love to know why, considering they lost two worlds today. They're back down to 5. Keep up the spat with Kurita. I'm sure that if all the FRR worlds burn, there won't be enough of their citizens left to really curse your names. Have you gotten bored of those promises to "defend against the Clans" so soon because a pack of Kuritans the Legion of Vega would turn green at getting got your goats instead?

Just. Stop.

#49 LoklanZFG

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 129 posts
  • LocationWraeclast

Posted 04 March 2015 - 04:34 PM

I thought Liaoites were supposed to be the paranoid crazy ppl here. They always be talkin sense with a level head!

#50 Abivard

• Shredder
  • 1,935 posts
  • LocationFree Rasalhague Republic

Posted 04 March 2015 - 04:57 PM

View PostMusashi Alexander, on 04 March 2015 - 10:41 AM, said:

Is forum banter the reason why Marik takes planets off Steiner?

No, it is because they are now allied to the Marik's nSL.

#51 Abivard

• Shredder
  • 1,935 posts

Posted 04 March 2015 - 05:14 PM

View Postwanderer, on 04 March 2015 - 04:26 PM, said:

So, let's see.

Without any more provocation than harsh language, all the while cuddling Fedrats because they bowed down and puckered up.

This is the "leadership of the new Star League"? Assaulting the Combine while the FRR wobbles on the edge of failure with units that could save it instead? Shameful.

We castigated Davion for striking left and right at it's neighbors as the Clans advanced. What example is the Free Worlds League now? Should we just abandon our defenses of our Clan-struck neighbors and start tearing at Marik worlds for funsies, perhaps? Perhaps pay off some horde of mercenaries and finish off the FRR so you can focus on the Combine? Would all this seem like the masterful tactics of a pack of blithering idiots?

Because attacking Altair was really really close to how jawdroppingly dim an act either of those would be. If Marik has so many troops it can spare an army to assault Kurita, I'm sure the FRR would love to know why, considering they lost two worlds today. They're back down to 5. Keep up the spat with Kurita. I'm sure that if all the FRR worlds burn, there won't be enough of their citizens left to really curse your names. Have you gotten bored of those promises to "defend against the Clans" so soon because a pack of Kuritans the Legion of Vega would turn green at getting got your goats instead?

Just. Stop.

The civilians might be gone, but the warriors seeking revenge for the betrayal will fight on,.
For it's Tommy this, an' Tommy that, an' ``Chuck him out, the brute!'' But it's ``Saviour of 'is country,'' when the guns begin to shoot; Yes it's Tommy this, an' Tommy that, an' anything you please; But Tommy ain't a bloomin' fool--you bet that Tommy sees!

#52 Mycrus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 5,160 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationFilipino @ Singapore

Posted 04 March 2015 - 05:29 PM

View Postwanderer, on 04 March 2015 - 04:26 PM, said:

So, let's see.

Just. Stop.

I dont see anything wrong about war in a war game.

In fact this is the only thing that makes it worth playing.

Stomping on pug teams in cw or in normal queue is boring

#53 Karl Marlow

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,277 posts

Posted 04 March 2015 - 05:56 PM

Glorious battle awaits and all anyone wants to do is whine about it. If you want to fight then fight. If fighting upsets you that much then go elsewhere. Less words more fight. That goes for both sides. The crying and finger pointing is pathetic.

Edited by ThomasMarik, 04 March 2015 - 05:57 PM.

#54 Novawrecker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 905 posts

Posted 04 March 2015 - 06:20 PM

View PostRayRazor, on 04 March 2015 - 11:24 AM, said:

LOL... nah, Kurita wants to play the village idiot role, so the village has decided to act upon the idiots actions

If you truly believe this, then Kurita has successfuly Sun Tzu'd your @$$ B)

#55 Benjamin Davion

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 367 posts
  • LocationIn my Spider 5D, killing all your Dire Wolves.

Posted 04 March 2015 - 07:02 PM

View PostProphetic, on 04 March 2015 - 07:36 AM, said:

Can't believe I missed day one of this long awaited confrontation. The IS title fight has begun :)

Posted Image

Epic points for a Ron Paul gif.

#56 Tasker

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,056 posts

Posted 04 March 2015 - 07:05 PM

Greetings wanderer! Happy to see reply to thread. Seems that sake swilling baboons can not help but stir up trouble between houses, neh? :D

Funny enough, only through actions of buffoon, show that Marik even bigger clown.

*bows respectfully*

#57 Mycrus

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 5,160 posts

Posted 04 March 2015 - 08:21 PM

View PostNovawrecker, on 04 March 2015 - 06:20 PM, said:

If you truly believe this, then Kurita has successfuly Sun Tzu'd your @$$ B)

For the nth time... use musashi

#58 Abivard

• Shredder
  • 1,935 posts

Posted 04 March 2015 - 08:33 PM

View PostMycrus, on 04 March 2015 - 08:21 PM, said:

For the nth time... use musashi

Fine, they put 5 rings in your nose and led you about by them.

#59 Mycrus

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 5,160 posts

Posted 04 March 2015 - 08:37 PM

View PostAbivard, on 04 March 2015 - 08:33 PM, said:

Fine, they put 5 rings in your nose and led you about by them.

Much better... matches the anime theme...

#60 MischiefSC

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 16,697 posts

Posted 04 March 2015 - 08:46 PM

View PostScoops Kerensky, on 04 March 2015 - 04:01 PM, said:

I think it really depends on your priorities as a group. Would you accept all of NKVA into the 22nd Argyle if you knew they would keep up the same kinds of posts and went out of their way to start fights with other people in the unit, even if it meant Davion would start making progress on the paper map?

NKVA's priorities are about making sure that we as a group enjoy each other's company as well the company of the mercs and other loyalist units in Kurita. We've turned down offers from multiple people who were interested in joining us (and people interested in incorporating us!) just because there were people concerned they wouldn't 'get' our unit's culture. That matters more to us to maximize our enjoyment in-game.

I'd argue that since there's no 'win' condition for CW in terms of planets taken, there's no reason to prioritize the safety or collection of them long-term. Until there are gameplay incentives to hold planets, that'll always be the case.

I get what you're saying and honestly I don't disagree in the lack of value in keeping dots - I don't think anyone in Davion really cares if Liao is attacking Davion or not, every drop against Liao is largely wasted time. Same with fighting Marik, it's why we put a treaty together with them. We decided what we wanted to do for fun (get a Clan front) and started looking that way. Our biggest problem was not having done so sooner I think.

However you can't take that too far or it leads to Bad Places. That's the same logic that people pugging the Clan border use for bringing 4 LRM boats/snipers, standing in back and guaranteeing their teams loss but hoping to do enough damage to pull decent cbills out of the match. They're screwing the game experience for everyone else (even Clanners get bored of clubbing scrubs after a while) for their own giggles.

I have no doubt there are people in Kurita who play to win and winning for them means beating the enemy. I get having a unit culture - get that very well, I <3 all the Lancers, they're good people. If after the map resets they decide to go Clanner, or Kurita, or Liao, I don't care. I'll go with them and I'll be 100% all in with whatever faction that is. They're my peeps.

However when I play CW I play to win. Long term and short. Be that stirring up drama for my factions enemies on the forums or playing to win matches as well as long term house strategy. Doing otherwise would feel disrespectful to my peeps.

Edited by MischiefSC, 04 March 2015 - 08:47 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users