Tinkering With The Crab....

6 replies to this topic

#1 Enfield

Rookie

• 3 posts

Posted 17 March 2017 - 01:02 PM

Hello Gents,

I've just gotten back into MWO (was here in CBT but old computer was unable to run it), bought the Crab as my first new to me Mech. Been playing with weapon changes, and had some questions on builds since I am essentially new to it. I was wanting to swap out a couple energy weapons out for an autocannon and ammo, or a missile system but I don't seem to see them available for that....am I missing something, or is the Crab an energy weapon only platform? Currently I have a pair of PPC's installed but it runs a bit hot so I was looking for a configuration that would allow for a good damage output but run cooler. Thanks in advance for the help.

#2 stealthraccoon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,497 posts
  • Locationnestled in a burlap sack, down in the root cellar

Posted 17 March 2017 - 02:17 PM

Energy only mech.
I love STD engines in them, usually a 300.
Even if you just stuff them with medium lasers, they are capable of doing some real work.
I often put a large laser in the center torso, since it basically allows you to shot at nearly everything you can see.
My fun build is th 27B with 4 small pulse lasers in the arms, an erLarge laser CT and a medium laser in the head - I'll rarely keep both arms the whole match, but I almost always get stripped down to a stick.

#3 Erronius

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 348 posts

Posted 18 March 2017 - 05:01 PM

View PostEnfield, on 17 March 2017 - 01:02 PM, said:

I was wanting to swap out a couple energy weapons out for an autocannon and ammo, or a missile system but I don't seem to see them available for that....am I missing something, or is the Crab an energy weapon only platform?

Pretty much energy only...barring the new Hero Crab that is on pre-order right now.

Currently I have a pair of PPC's installed but it runs a bit hot so I was looking for a configuration that would allow for a good damage output but run cooler. Thanks in advance for the help.

Depends on how you end up wanting to run them. You can run 2-3 large pulse lasers, but that usually means running an XL. I don't like XLs in Crabs, because it seems like you take a lot of ST damage.

I do a lot of ML or MPL, with standard engines if I can. Especially on the ones that have 1 energy hardpoint in the head and 2 in the CT. You can lose your side torsos and still have those 3 energy weapons (though I normally don't last long after getting to that point, LOL).

#4 Tesunie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,578 posts
  • LocationSeraphim HQ: Asuncion

Posted 18 March 2017 - 05:28 PM

Hello Gents,

I've just gotten back into MWO (was here in CBT but old computer was unable to run it), bought the Crab as my first new to me Mech. Been playing with weapon changes, and had some questions on builds since I am essentially new to it. I was wanting to swap out a couple energy weapons out for an autocannon and ammo, or a missile system but I don't seem to see them available for that....am I missing something, or is the Crab an energy weapon only platform? Currently I have a pair of PPC's installed but it runs a bit hot so I was looking for a configuration that would allow for a good damage output but run cooler. Thanks in advance for the help.

I'm going to presume you mean the 50 ton Crab, and not the 100 ton King Crab.

To start, all Crabs are energy only (excluding the not-yet-in-game hero). They will always run a little hot due to the all energy hard points, but depending upon how you build and play them, they can be excellent mechs.

The Crab is a good mech for stability and tankiness. It has good hit boxes, which means damage gets easily spread through most all components. If a little risk is wanted, you can run it with an XL engine without too much difficulties, but it does like Std engines a little better.

I don't know what your play style is, but I'll just leave my own builds here for you to use and/or take what you want from them.
Crab 20: Mine is set up as a "speed Crab". Runs with lights without too much difficulty. I have the LLs for some reach. I've commonly seen this mech with 5 MLs or MPLs, but that's just what other people tend to run.
Crab 27 + 27B: I run these two mechs with the same exact build. You'd think they would play the same way, but because of different quirks (for the moment), they play differently from each other. The 27 is good for range, poking people at the farthest of ranges. The 27B is better for more sustained fights, running cooler and working better as a more close in fighter (mid range). Std engines means these mechs can take a beating and keep right on going. Twist the torso to redirect damage for best results.
27SL: Makes for a good mid ranged jump sniper. Might be of interest to you, as it has two PPCs. Runs a little warm, but solid for me. Not a favorite Crab design for me, but keeps proving it's worth enough for me to keep it around. Has 3 SLs for targets that get too close. Speedy, but has to be careful about that XL engine in it. Lose a side, and you lose the mech... (Commonly find this with LPLs or MPLs, due to quirks.)

I prefer mixed ranged builds, so I don't have a weakness, and I find that they work very well for me. Of course, this is not the case for everyone, so I can't suggest things that may work with you specifically. It's a solid mech and a good choice to pick up. Of course with it being one of my favorite mechs... I might be a bit biased.

#5 Enfield

Rookie

• 3 posts

Posted 18 March 2017 - 07:21 PM

Thanks all....its appreciated. Last time I was on I beefed up the armor plating, and derated the engine a little bit. Still trying to puzzle out a weapons configuration for me that works. I'm trying to come up with something that hits hard, but doesn't roast the mech.

#6 Tesunie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,578 posts
  • LocationSeraphim HQ: Asuncion

Posted 18 March 2017 - 07:29 PM

View PostEnfield, on 18 March 2017 - 07:21 PM, said:

Thanks all....its appreciated. Last time I was on I beefed up the armor plating, and derated the engine a little bit. Still trying to puzzle out a weapons configuration for me that works. I'm trying to come up with something that hits hard, but doesn't roast the mech.

This depends upon what you like to play. Close up brawl? Long range snipe?

Triple ERLL runs cool as well as hits reasonably hard (my opinion). Set it up with three weapon groups, arms in one, torso ERLL, and head ML. Shoot Alpha when you are cool, shoot only one group at a time when you are running hot. (You can also drop the ML in the head for an additional heat sink if you wish.)

Close range... I'm not certain. 5 MLs with an XL and a lots of heat sinks? (Crab 20 might be best here, can have the speed and close range weapons.) 5 MPLs (will run hot) on the 27SL?

#7 WrathOfDeadguy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 1,951 posts

Posted 18 March 2017 - 09:29 PM

CRB-27 - A skirmisher with some midrange poke. 3xLL or 3xERLL might be the preferred loadout, but this just feels better to me. It's also the only 'Mech I own that can boast multiple one-legged zombie clutch wins, so I'm kinda loath to change it. Most of the time it's thoroughly average, and I think in my stats it's breaking roughly even, but when it shines it really shines.

CRB-27B - Your everyday average pulseboat brawler. Nothing to see here.

Weapon groups for both are left, right, center.

I have the other two regular variants, but never use them. I tried the CRB-20 with a max XL loadout and found it to just be too fragile for my taste. With STDs, they're my tankiest mediums (though not the most lethal by far), and I'd take them into situations that my Cents and Hunchies would need their brown pants for.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users