86 replies to this topic

#1 Apnu

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,083 posts
  • LocationMidWest

Posted 02 April 2015 - 12:30 PM

Let's debate the HBK vs the CN9, which is the better mech and why!

No variants barred, no builds barred!
Throw down!

#2 mogs01gt

• Shredder
  • 4,292 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 02 April 2015 - 12:33 PM

There are only 2 variants of each chassis worth talking about. The AH and YLW for the Cent, then the 4g and 4j for the Hunchie. IMO the Cent is better.

Shield arm, better hitboxes, can be a true zombie, AC20 in arm makes it easier to aim IMO, AC20 arm is harder to hit than AC20 in RT.

and the 4j, well it has LRMs. Too unreliable.

Edited by mogs01gt, 02 April 2015 - 12:35 PM.

#3 Inveramsay

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 621 posts
  • LocationStar's End

Posted 02 April 2015 - 12:42 PM

I think it is a bit more difficult than that. If I could only have one of those chassis it would be the hunchback for the diversity of load outs. My mech with highest average damage is the hunch H with an AC10 and some Mlas. Before the stat reset the highest KDR in any mech was my hunch SP at nearly 4:1. What it doesn't do all that well is run fast and powerful builds due to the overwhelming danger of using an XL

#4 Dino Might

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 2,030 posts

Posted 02 April 2015 - 12:42 PM

HBK. More versatile by far. The 4P can boat mediums and crush anything that stares at it for more than a few seconds. The 4G is great with the AC 20 for pop shots. The Grid Iron is one of the best Gauss platforms in the game. The 4J, can shoot missiles, which counts for next to nothing in my book.

The Cent has the YLW and AH, which are fantastic brawlers, but they are not significantly more durable than the HBK. Both have a full shield side, and the AC 20 arm does usually last longer, but that's all the Cent has going for it. 2 mediums in the CT is next to no firepower. It's taller and wider. It also tends to need an XL to put more guns on it and keep its speed advantage. With a STD engine it's as slow/slower than the Hunchie.

The Cent-9D is really fun though with the auto-shotgun.

#5 sdsnowbum

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 170 posts

Posted 02 April 2015 - 12:48 PM

In general HBKs seem slightly more offensive and CN9s seem slightly more tanky.

In solo queues HBKs have the edge, in CW CN9s.

Also if we're talking specific variants don't count out the CN9-AC configured like the Champion variant (3 a-SRM4).

One of the few truly effective trial mechs IMO. Although the HBK 4P was one of the other ones. :)

And neither is available currently as a trial mech. :) :)

#6 oldradagast

• Philanthropist
  • 4,833 posts

Posted 03 April 2015 - 03:17 AM

Both are good, though I give a small edge to the Hunchbacks.

1) More focused builds. Centurions tend to try to do everything on each mech, while Hunchies focus more, which tends to be better.

2) Slightly smaller. Hunchies are about the right size for a 50-ton mech, while Centurions are a bit too big, and thus easier to hit.

That being said, both are good - though not "great" - and both can pack similar firepower and fill similar roles. You really can't go wrong with either one of them. They are not meta-mechs, but they are solid and relatively cheap for new players.

#7 StraferX

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 640 posts
  • LocationWest Virginia

Posted 03 April 2015 - 04:13 AM

Question not anserable as both are fantastic chassis and the pilot is the one who makes them shine. For myself I pilot the cents and find the hunchies the easiest targets however others find the opposite results. Could this be because as a fan of the cents I focus on hunchies? quite posible. For my play style the centurions work the best and you will need to try each to find the one that is best for you.

Many scoff at the adder however I have seen good pilots kick in teeth with them, for me they are a paper rose very pretty but very fragile.

There are no bad mechs only bad pilots.

#8 mogs01gt

• Shredder
  • 4,292 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 03 April 2015 - 04:50 AM

View PostStraferX, on 03 April 2015 - 04:13 AM, said:

There are no bad mechs only bad pilots.

No there are tons of bad mechs.

#9 Wildstreak

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 5,154 posts

Posted 03 April 2015 - 05:10 AM

Depends on what you look for.

Centurion - Shield arm, speed, zombie but with only 2ML.

Hunchback - toughness despite the RT, versatility since each variant focuses on a different build usually, 4J & 4SP have no RT weakness, all can be done as Energy boats if you want, brings more weapons to a match.

#10 STEF_

• The Nocturnal
  • The Nocturnal
  • 5,443 posts
  • Locationmy cockpit

Posted 03 April 2015 - 05:20 AM

Cent!
I have both, and I like Cent more because more durable: dat hunchie ST is an easy target, while Cent are slimmer and have a good arm shield.

Talking about brawler, of course; at close range mech size don't matter that much.

#11 Surtosi

• PipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 40 posts
  • LocationLouisiana

Posted 03 April 2015 - 05:24 AM

I don't care for the Cents at all, having played with all the variants through to mastery for both. The Hunchback
has better weapon placement, better weight efficiency, better speed. I HATE centurions because arms have less armor and health than torsos, so if you're going to carry just 1 big gun, better to put it in a safer place.

#12 Averen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 536 posts

Posted 03 April 2015 - 05:32 AM

Both are not great, but solid mediums after quirks. Very fun mechs, especially the HBKs quirking - he was the weaker of the two before - takes on strange forms.

A cent is more of a brutal mobile striker with, despite it's size, good hitboxes. AH with AC20+4xSRM4 and A with 3xASRM6+2xML would be more usual builds. Relatively fast meds with a punch and maybe surprising brawlability, but you'll still have to keep them out of heavy fire.

Hunchie is extremly versatile, and can play more laidback styles and poke a bit. 4P is the classical laserpoke, mostly 6ML/2MPL. Fast and surprisingly efficient. 4G, albeit slower, has the best AC20 in the game, which makes him a good support, as long as you have backup. Brawly 4SP is IMO best used with a big engine and 2ASRM6+3ML. A 40% Cooldown-Quirk gives you a very high rof, and heat quirks allow you to actually use main and backups weapons together. 4J is an utterly obnoxious ultra fast firing missile boat (2xALRM10). Grid Iron one of the few good single-gauß sniper in the game. The 4H with it's AC10 is generally considered a weaker version of the 4G.

Edited by Averen, 03 April 2015 - 05:37 AM.

#13 Redshirt enraged

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • 128 posts
  • Locationhere / there / everywhere

Posted 03 April 2015 - 06:24 AM

View Postoldradagast, on 03 April 2015 - 03:17 AM, said:

Both are good, though I give a small edge to the Hunchbacks.

1) More focused builds. Centurions tend to try to do everything on each mech, while Hunchies focus more, which tends to be better.

2) Slightly smaller. Hunchies are about the right size for a 50-ton mech, while Centurions are a bit too big, and thus easier to hit.

That being said, both are good - though not "great" - and both can pack similar firepower and fill similar roles. You really can't go wrong with either one of them. They are not meta-mechs, but they are solid and relatively cheap for new players.

I agree with that,except point 1. You are able to have very focused builds on the Centurions...it´s just your choice.

Centurions are a good choice if you want to learn a lot about torso twisting. A skill that will help you in lots of other mechs too. ;)

But yeah...I prefer still the Hunchie...for personal reasons. :)

#14 mogs01gt

• Shredder
  • 4,292 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 03 April 2015 - 06:30 AM

View PostSurtosi, on 03 April 2015 - 05:24 AM, said:

I don't care for the Cents at all, having played with all the variants through to mastery for both. The Hunchback
has better weapon placement, better weight efficiency, better speed. I HATE centurions because arms have less armor and health than torsos, so if you're going to carry just 1 big gun, better to put it in a safer place.

They have the same speed
They have the same weight efficiency. They are both 50t's
worse weapon placement when brawling. CT mounted ballistics fail compared to arm mounted
they have the same armor unless you are referring to the RT perks the hunchie gets which is null since Cents get a shield arm
High mounted ST weapons with large hit boxes are actually the worst place to put it unless you are hill humping which is the only advantage the 4g has.

Edited by mogs01gt, 03 April 2015 - 06:33 AM.

#15 Spheroid

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,060 posts
  • LocationSouthern Wisconsin

Posted 03 April 2015 - 06:53 AM

I think on balance the Cents are better although it is close and the Hunchbacks do have superior quirks.

I have all the variants except the heroes for both chassis.

#16 N a p e s

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 1,688 posts
  • LocationQuebec

Posted 03 April 2015 - 06:57 AM

This is the classic medium mech debate that's been around since they were both introduced in CB and it will probably go on until MWO is eventually abandoned and replaced.

I guess quirks shake up this debate and may continue to do so as these get adjusted over time.

Both mechs are great in my books and I continue to have fun with both but if I absolutely had to pick one it'd be the Hunchback. Personally, I feel like the HBK is more consistent in terms of results that I can get but is it really better overall? Comes down to the player and his/her playstyle.

#17 mogs01gt

• Shredder
  • 4,292 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 03 April 2015 - 07:01 AM

View PostSpheroid, on 03 April 2015 - 06:53 AM, said:

I think on balance the Cents are better although it is close and the Hunchbacks do have superior quirks.

I have all the variants except the heroes for both chassis.

They have better quirkes because the Cents is a superior chassis.

#18 Redshirt enraged

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • 128 posts
  • Locationhere / there / everywhere

Posted 03 April 2015 - 07:12 AM

View Postmogs01gt, on 03 April 2015 - 07:01 AM, said:

They have better quirkes because the Cents is a superior chassis.

So that means the CN-9 D was inferior? ;)

#19 mogs01gt

• Shredder
  • 4,292 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 03 April 2015 - 07:16 AM

View PostRedshirt enraged, on 03 April 2015 - 07:12 AM, said:

Well that is a variant :P and yes its not a good one compared to the others.

#20 N a p e s

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 1,688 posts
  • LocationQuebec

Posted 03 April 2015 - 07:17 AM

View PostRedshirt enraged, on 03 April 2015 - 07:12 AM, said:

Yep!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users