Playing Battletech On Tabletop Simulator

13 replies to this topic

#1 Zyffer

Rookie

• Giant Helper
  • 9 posts

Posted 04 April 2015 - 06:18 PM

A few friends of mine and I have been using table top simulator on steam as a means of play Classic Battletech. It actually works out quite well and if you haven't tried table top simulator out yet, you really should give it a try. The only issue i'm having is a gross lack of mech figures. There is one set in the workshop but it would be nice to have some more. I was just hoping that someone who is familiar with 3d modeling would be able to figure out how to extract mech models from MWO and import them into tabletop simulator cause they would look amazing. Unfortunately I have no abilities with those sorts of things at all. I've tried but I just can't seem to wrap my head around it. If someone could show me how or could add a bunch of of MWO models to the workshop on tabletop simulator I would be forever grateful!

#2 TheSilken

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,492 posts
  • LocationLost in The Warp

Posted 04 April 2015 - 06:31 PM

Have you tried playing MegaMek? It has every mech, tank, battle armor, protomech, etc...

Little different than what you are playing but it is very accurate to the actual thing.

#3 Wildstreak

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 5,154 posts

Posted 04 April 2015 - 07:10 PM

MWO models may be too detailed for this, you want something along the lines of MWT or MechCommander.

#4 Zyffer

Rookie

• Giant Helper
  • 9 posts

Posted 04 April 2015 - 08:57 PM

View PostTheSilken, on 04 April 2015 - 06:31 PM, said:

Have you tried playing MegaMek? It has every mech, tank, battle armor, protomech, etc...

Little different than what you are playing but it is very accurate to the actual thing.

Yes i have tried megamek, its a good program the issue with it though is the networking code is atrocious and our group cant all connect and play together. SO well megamek is good for a little bit of solo battletech here and there or testing out new mech designs, table top is the better option for group play sessions. There is also something more satisfying about actually rolling the dice than having the program just spit results at you. Tabletop simulator is as close as you can get to actually sitting around a table and playing together. Its really the perfect solution if most of your friends dont live geographically near you.

#5 Zyffer

Rookie

• Giant Helper
  • 9 posts

Posted 04 April 2015 - 09:01 PM

View PostWildstreak, on 04 April 2015 - 07:10 PM, said:

MWO models may be too detailed for this, you want something along the lines of MWT or MechCommander.

You may be right about that, I have wondered if the model failed to load simply because there was just too much detail. I'm still wondering if it could be done though. Especially because some of the stock fantasy RPG figurines they give you are quite detailed complete with animations. If it is impossible though, I think the next best thing would be if tabletop simulator let you make custom figurines with an editor similar to Spore or Galactic Civilization, where it just give you a bunch of shapes and lets you resize them and connect them

Edited by Zyffer, 04 April 2015 - 09:02 PM.

#6 Triordinant

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,495 posts
  • LocationThe Dark Side of the Moon

Posted 04 April 2015 - 09:55 PM

View PostZyffer, on 04 April 2015 - 06:18 PM, said:

A few friends of mine and I have been using table top simulator on steam as a means of play Classic Battletech. It actually works out quite well and if you haven't tried table top simulator out yet, you really should give it a try. The only issue i'm having is a gross lack of mech figures. There is one set in the workshop but it would be nice to have some more. I was just hoping that someone who is familiar with 3d modeling would be able to figure out how to extract mech models from MWO and import them into tabletop simulator cause they would look amazing. Unfortunately I have no abilities with those sorts of things at all. I've tried but I just can't seem to wrap my head around it. If someone could show me how or could add a bunch of of MWO models to the workshop on tabletop simulator I would be forever grateful!

I hear you can flip the whole table over when you get angry... :P

#7 Zyffer

Rookie

• Giant Helper
  • 9 posts

Posted 06 April 2015 - 06:48 PM

View PostTriordinant, on 04 April 2015 - 09:55 PM, said:

I hear you can flip the whole table over when you get angry... :P

lol yeah, you have to turn that off as the host pretty quick or the table gets flipped constantly ;P

#8 Frank Olson

• PipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 01 June 2015 - 05:48 AM

Zyffer, still interested? I would like to try Battletech via Tabletop Simulator (if that doesn't work out too well, maybe VASSAL)

#9 Frank Olson

• PipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 28 June 2015 - 12:39 PM

You can play Battletech on my Do it Yourself map that I created:

http://steamcommunit...s/?id=460458282

All terrain is moveable and you can copy and paste as much new stuff was you want as admin. Just lock your terrain tiles if you added 2-4, before adding more. Then you will have less problems with collision and stuff not fitting.

Other people have already posted Mechs/Mechpacks there. Tell me i you want to play a short game 1on1 with 1 mech, everything bigger is not yet solved well enough.

All Battletech mods on Tabletop Simulator (also Mechpacks and some maps by some other guy that might look nicer but are not editable):

http://steamcommunit...ch&section=home

#10 Kreedo

Rookie

• 8 posts

Posted 25 July 2015 - 03:21 PM

For non-megamek games, I have really been enjoying using roll20.net 's Virtual Tabletop. I think its better for several reasons, such as no fighting to get your router to hook up to a game or like me (if your isp doesn't allow direct connects). But alas it's not 3d, but I've learned to like 2d VTT's.

#11 Jayce Haebdun

• PipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 37 posts

Posted 09 August 2015 - 03:08 PM

http://puu.sh/jtBiE/6fa7ee93ec.jpg

I made custom 3D maps for this exact purpose (though I want to play Alpha Strike, not classic BT. I used the models from the pack above, and I'm trying to learn how to import low-poly models right now.

EDIT - I have successfully imported some of the MWO models into Wings3D (and Blendr) but they are waaaay too complex for TTS, not just because of their file size/complexity, but because the pieces will be so tiny the detail is largely wasted.

Importing in the Awesome for example (old style, not the new component style) has 9797 vertices, and 16543 faces--that's AFTER removing doubles from it. (TTS prefers triangles over quads.)

Edited by Jayce Haebdun, 09 August 2015 - 03:46 PM.

#12 Jayce Haebdun

• PipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 37 posts

Posted 19 August 2015 - 04:52 PM

Posted Image

I made a few more maps and models... (22 maps, 48 IS mechs, 27 Clan mechs, 168 alpha strike cards.

#13 Archeux

Rookie

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1 posts

Posted 26 August 2015 - 04:52 PM

Heyo, not to bring a thread back from the dead, but I was wondering if the previously posted screenshot showed content actually available on the workshop for tabletop simulator? It doesn't appear to show up anywhere than I can find.

#14 Burktross

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 3,663 posts
  • LocationStill in closed beta

Posted 08 September 2015 - 03:55 PM

View PostArcheux, on 26 August 2015 - 04:52 PM, said:

Heyo, not to bring a thread back from the dead, but I was wondering if the previously posted screenshot showed content actually available on the workshop for tabletop simulator? It doesn't appear to show up anywhere than I can find.

i dont even have TT sim and im drooling over it too!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users