Duel Stick With Throttle?

5 replies to this topic

#1 Excalibur21ADFS

• Pip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 14 posts

Posted 14 April 2015 - 03:49 PM

Quick question and or thought experiment for those that are interested.

I'm very interested in making a simpit type place to game with MWO and E:D. Obviously joysticks are fun so i'm interested in those.

At first i was planning on getting an x55 HOTAS + peddles and a joystick to mouse emulator. and start blasting! Sure it's not as accurate as a mouse probably but it'd be fun! But then I saw this thread:

http://mwomercs.com/...000m-joysticks/

And I thought that was cool, but was still interested in sliding throttle for E:D. And then remembered this thread: (btw, Foust if you read this. you are an inspiration. I've read your thread 20 times at least.)

http://mwomercs.com/...-mechpit-rev-3/

My Question: Could you hack up two thrustmasters t16k to create a duel stick setup with the left or right handle able to slide and use one of the throttle portions to control the throttle + custom buttons for tag lock, vision modes, landing gear, etc etc. (Custom fabricating as needed). If not, what would be needed? teensy++ board?

For Mechwarrior the throttle section would not be needed (left stick for legs, right for aiming) but for Elite Dangerous. you would be using the throttle instead of peddles for thrust?

Is this possible? If so, how viable would it be assuming throttle slider is sturdy and ergonomics are properly sorted?

I think it would be great. And I would be a lot happier buying two t16ks as a base and then custom fabricating everything then buying a $200 stick of questionable quality.

Thoughts? See you on the killing fields!

#2 Foust

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 394 posts
  • LocationKentucky

Posted 15 April 2015 - 09:44 AM

View PostExcalibur21ADFS, on 14 April 2015 - 03:49 PM, said:

And I thought that was cool, but was still interested in sliding throttle for E:D. And then remembered this thread: (btw, Foust if you read this. you are an inspiration. I've read your thread 20 times at least.)

Thanks

My Question: Could you hack up two thrustmasters t16k to create a duel stick setup with the left or right handle able to slide and use one of the throttle portions to control the throttle + custom buttons for tag lock, vision modes, landing gear, etc etc.

I am assuming that when you say slide, you mean motion like a desk drawer. Flat forward and back movement. If so:

Well, I think the gotcha is going to be in the single sensor that the stick uses. So you cant really convert one of the sticks directly into a slider. They are pretty well bound to their gimble. I suppose you could take one of the rotational axis' or one of the throttle axis' to create the slide throttle, however I don't see that accomplishing what I think you're after.

If I am mistaken on your meaning let me know. The T16000M sticks are really really good for hacking up as long as you don't need to separate the X/Y axis'.

#3 Excalibur21ADFS

• Pip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 14 posts

Posted 15 April 2015 - 01:15 PM

You are correct. That is what I was thinking.

Using the built in throttle of one of the sticks, even if just the ports on the board with a different homemade or otherwise acquired sensor, to control throttle.

but then I have no idea what the internals of the stick look like so I'm just fantasizing really.

#4 Foust

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 394 posts
  • LocationKentucky

Posted 20 April 2015 - 08:33 AM

The real bonuses you get out of the T16000M are the accuracy of the stick itself and the ability to use target. If you had twin T16000Ms you could free up a total of 4 axis' to use with more traditional pots. The remaining 4 are "stuck" within the stick gimbal.

In my build thread are some pictures of the internals of the T16000M, and google has more.

#5 Excalibur21ADFS

• Pip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 14 posts

Posted 21 April 2015 - 07:39 AM

I see.

Well, I'm gonna try it. First up I need to build my Obotto Revolution copy out of 1/2" black pipe. Then I'll get two T16k's, hack them apart and see what I can do. I'll make a build thread haha.

#6 evilC

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,298 posts
  • LocationLondon, UK

Posted 08 July 2015 - 05:29 AM

Bear in mind that you can combine sticks using software.

I wrote an app called UJR that will let you combine multiple physical sticks into one virtual stick (up to 8 axes)

Just make sure you bind MWO to the virtual stick, not the physical sticks (Use the "quickbind" feature).

See sig for link.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users