Constant Crashes

9 replies to this topic

#1 VanCede

Rookie

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 7 posts

Posted 16 April 2015 - 12:51 PM

I tried to play some CW matches today, but I get constant crashes back to desktop (more than usually). I couldn't load the Grim Portico at all and Hellebore Springs crashed after 30 seconds of gameplay after rejoining to battle.Best explanation I got was this.

Clearly the problem was on my end since everything worked just fine yesterday. I ran the repair tool, and it informed me that some of the files need fixing.
Spoiler

When I press Fix Errors-button, repair tool crashes. And no new files are downloaded when I restart MWO.

What should I do now?

#2 Grendel408

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 2,611 posts
  • LocationBay Area, California

Posted 16 April 2015 - 01:00 PM

Well... what type of PC do you have (CPU, GPU, RAM, etc.) and what type of OS do you run?

#3 Krist Smith

Senior Engineer

• Developer
  • Developer
  • 629 posts

Posted 16 April 2015 - 01:01 PM

Can you try disabling all the options and try again? It's possible that one of those are causing the problem, so I'd like to try to narrow it down.

#4 VanCede

Rookie

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 7 posts

Posted 16 April 2015 - 01:58 PM

MS XP sp3
AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 5600+
2.89 GHz, 3.25 GB of RAM
NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTS 512
Driver Version 6.14.13.2049

(It's a piece of crap, but it's my crap, and my development environment is set on it so I don't want to wipe it. And saving money for uprage with my income will take next 1 and half year without beer.)

My came.cfg is following:
; DO NOT MODIFY THIS FILE!
r_Driver="DX9"
d3d9_TripleBuffering=0
r_txaa=0
r_msaa=0
r_postaa=0

Repair Tool crashes when trying to fix with following options:
- All off
- Only Two-way consolidation checked
- Only Clean shaders checked
- Only Clean Downloaded FE data checked
- all of above checked

Stupid questions:
Should the system.cfg file be larger than 0 bytes?
Can I remove shader caches manually from /My Documents/Shaders/Cache/D3D9/ folders?
Update: Yes you can. And it fixed my CW crashing problem.

For what I can imagine it is either something with the shaders and my display drivers since I get crashes only in CW. Or I managed to install the game in the bad sector, again. But I'm still puzzled how the repair tool manages to crash when trying to repair nothing.

Here is my latest crashdump if anyone is interested on that. What I gathered from Omicron Build logs, it's crashes when it tries to allocate memory for small amount of bytes (272, .240,136, 128 when trying to PrepareLevel crystals, constant 256 on level gorge)
Spoiler

Edited by VanCede, 16 April 2015 - 02:43 PM.

#5 Krist Smith

Senior Engineer

• Developer
  • Developer
  • 629 posts

Posted 16 April 2015 - 04:33 PM

View PostVanCede, on 16 April 2015 - 01:58 PM, said:

MS XP sp3
AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 5600+
2.89 GHz, 3.25 GB of RAM
NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTS 512
Driver Version 6.14.13.2049

(It's a piece of crap, but it's my crap, and my development environment is set on it so I don't want to wipe it. And saving money for uprage with my income will take next 1 and half year without beer.)

My came.cfg is following:
; DO NOT MODIFY THIS FILE!
r_Driver="DX9"
d3d9_TripleBuffering=0
r_txaa=0
r_msaa=0
r_postaa=0

Repair Tool crashes when trying to fix with following options:
- All off
- Only Two-way consolidation checked
- Only Clean shaders checked
- Only Clean Downloaded FE data checked
- all of above checked

Stupid questions:
Should the system.cfg file be larger than 0 bytes?
Can I remove shader caches manually from /My Documents/Shaders/Cache/D3D9/ folders?
Update: Yes you can. And it fixed my CW crashing problem.

For what I can imagine it is either something with the shaders and my display drivers since I get crashes only in CW. Or I managed to install the game in the bad sector, again. But I'm still puzzled how the repair tool manages to crash when trying to repair nothing.

Here is my latest crashdump if anyone is interested on that. What I gathered from Omicron Build logs, it's crashes when it tries to allocate memory for small amount of bytes (272, .240,136, 128 when trying to PrepareLevel crystals, constant 256 on level gorge)
Spoiler

Sorry, I don't think I can diagnose it yet, so I have some more questions/comments. But first, I'll answer your questions. No, system.cfg should not be larger than 0 bytes. It should be empty. Next, yeah, you should be able to manually delete the shader caches, but that path really doesn't look right for the path the MWO shader cache. Assuming you didn't just shorten it for brevity, can you make sure this isn't from another game?

Next up, some questions of my own. I will over-explain just so that we don't have to keep posting back and forth for simple answers. Are you running the game in 32-bit or 64-bit mode? You can toggle this in the patcher, using the gear icon in the top-right next to the minimize/close buttons. The 64-bit version is less likely to crash due to memory problems. Also, when you run the repair tool, are you running it via the patcher (using the aforementioned gear icon), or are you running it manually? If you're doing it manually, are you running the repair tool in the game directory, or one that you downloaded separately? This doesn't seem to be the case, but I ask because the stand-alone download has been discontinued and I want to be sure. Either way, are you running the repair tool as admin? It should automatically pop up the Windows UAC prompt if you run it via the patcher, but if it doesn't you may need to do so manually.

That's about all I can think of atm. I'll point out in closing that DX11 tends to be a little easier on memory for the most part, if that's an option.

#6 VanCede

Rookie

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 7 posts

Posted 17 April 2015 - 03:04 AM

View PostKrist Smith, on 16 April 2015 - 04:33 PM, said:

Next, yeah, you should be able to manually delete the shader caches, but that path really doesn't look right for the path the MWO shader cache. Assuming you didn't just shorten it for brevity, can you make sure this isn't from another game?

I shortened it a bit, but yes, it is the correct place. At least in in Windows XP.
C:\Documents and Settings\User Name\My Documents\MechWarrior Online\Shaders\Cache\D3D9
After I deleted everything in that directory, I was able to play the CW matches again without single crash.

Next up, some questions of my own. I will over-explain just so that we don't have to keep posting back and forth for simple answers. Are you running the game in 32-bit or 64-bit mode? You can toggle this in the patcher, using the gear icon in the top-right next to the minimize/close buttons. The 64-bit version is less likely to crash due to memory problems.

Windows XP, so it's 32 bit and DX9 for me. I know that it would be better to run it in 64 bit, DX11, but unfortunately that is not currently possible for me.

Also, when you run the repair tool, are you running it via the patcher (using the aforementioned gear icon), or are you running it manually? If you're doing it manually, are you running the repair tool in the game directory, or one that you downloaded separately? This doesn't seem to be the case, but I ask because the stand-alone download has been discontinued and I want to be sure.

I ran it manually from C:\games\mwo\MechWarrior Online\Bin32\MWORepairTool.exe and from launcher. Results are same (crashes when Repair Tool tries to Fix Errors) in both cases.

Either way, are you running the repair tool as admin? It should automatically pop up the Windows UAC prompt if you run it via the patcher, but if it doesn't you may need to do so manually.
Yes, I have made my account on this computer as administrator.

Here is a stack trace I found in event logs.
Spoiler

And that made me do a little digging. From SHGetKnownFolderPath documentation:

Minimum supported client: Windows Vista [desktop apps only]

In Windows XP it should use SHGetFolderPath or SHGetFolderLocation instead.

#7 Krist Smith

Senior Engineer

• Developer
  • Developer
  • 629 posts

Posted 17 April 2015 - 09:45 AM

View PostVanCede, on 17 April 2015 - 03:04 AM, said:

I shortened it a bit, but yes, it is the correct place. At least in in Windows XP. C:\Documents and Settings\User Name\My Documents\MechWarrior Online\Shaders\Cache\D3D9 After I deleted everything in that directory, I was able to play the CW matches again without single crash. Windows XP, so it's 32 bit and DX9 for me. I know that it would be better to run it in 64 bit, DX11, but unfortunately that is not currently possible for me. I ran it manually from C:\games\mwo\MechWarrior Online\Bin32\MWORepairTool.exe and from launcher. Results are same (crashes when Repair Tool tries to Fix Errors) in both cases. Yes, I have made my account on this computer as administrator. Here is a stack trace I found in event logs.
Spoiler
And that made me do a little digging. From SHGetKnownFolderPath documentation: In Windows XP it should use SHGetFolderPath or SHGetFolderLocation instead.

Ah. I was really hoping it wouldn't be an XP issue, since it's an OS on the edge of being supported by us now that Microsoft no longer does. Thanks for the extended investigation. I will be in touch with you.

Please note - when I say it's an XP issue, I'm referring specifically to your repair tool problems. The game crashing issue is related to 32-bit and your memory. Is it possible to get yourself up to the 4 GB mark without sacrificing too much beer money?

#8 VanCede

Rookie

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 7 posts

Posted 17 April 2015 - 11:56 AM

Happy to help with the Repair Tool.

And the under 4GB is not that much of issue anymore, now that I know it's shader issue and I can fix it even without Repair Tool (so more beer for me).

#9 Krist Smith

Senior Engineer

• Developer
  • Developer
  • 629 posts

Posted 17 April 2015 - 12:08 PM

View PostVanCede, on 17 April 2015 - 11:56 AM, said:

Happy to help with the Repair Tool.

And the under 4GB is not that much of issue anymore, now that I know it's shader issue and I can fix it even without Repair Tool (so more beer for me).

Kool. The thing is, it's not so much a "shader issue", it's just that having fewer shaders loaded into memory allow you to stay below the crash line. So, as long as you're ok with flushing shaders frequently and accepting the stutters as it recaches/recreates them (as well as the possibility that playing multiple matches might end up crashing the game), then by all means, use your money for beer. (No sarcasm there, I'm a Newfie, I fully respect beer budgets)

#10 Krist Smith

Senior Engineer

• Developer
  • Developer
  • 629 posts

Posted 17 April 2015 - 01:30 PM

Ok, I've updated the MWO Repair Tool, it now handles XP much better. Sorry for the inconvenience.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users