#1 MavRCK

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,375 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationMontreal - Vancouver

Posted 16 April 2015 - 09:39 PM

I wanted to share my settings for my laptop Lenovo Y50 with the i7 4710HQ mobile processors - quad core with hyper-threading and the GTX 860m GK107 2gb gpu.

A special thanks goes to Goose who spent a lot of his time helping me optimize my user.cfg settings. Also thank you to SmokeyJedi and everyone in the hardware & accessories forum who have shared their knowledge and expertise.

Everything here has helped me get consistent and smooth framerates around 60 fps on this portable system.

I have sacrificed image quality in the pursuit of consistent performance as I am a competitive player (or was ^_^ ).

For nvidia settings, please see below and use threaded optimization on.

Key programs:

Throttlestop 7 - keeps your cpu speed consistent. I choose 3.1ghz and can go to 3.2ghz with a cooling pad and 2+ hours of play time without throttling, ie temps 90C or less - the effect on fps is about 3-5 fps. CPU speed is the key to MWO fps. The i7 4710hq likes to go from 2.5 ghz to 3.5ghz causing massive fluctuations in fps and inconsistencies in gameplay.

Process Lasso - unparks your cores and optimizes threads. (I think it works.. shrugs who knows for sure... smarter men than I here have recommended it! Subjectively it feels smoother with this program running and it's freeware - enable gaming mode and bitsum highest performance)

My settings and user.cfg are below.

Good luck and happy hunting everyone.

MavRCK

User.CFG settings

gp_option_ShowCockpitGlass = 0
r_DepthOfField = 0
r_HDRGrainAmount = 0.0
r_motionBlur = 0
r_MultiThreaded = 1
r_FogShadows= 0

sys_budget_streamingthroughput = 18944000
sys_LocalMemoryGeometryStreamingSpeedLimit = 18500
sys_LocalMemoryTextureStreamingSpeedLimit = 18500
sys_streaming_max_bandwidth = 18500

sys_main_CPU = 0
r_WaterUpdateThread = 0
sys_streaming_CPU = 2
sys_physics_CPU = 3
sys_TaskThread5_CPU = 3

r_Vsync = 0
sys_MaxFPS=60

sys_budget_videomem = 2048

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#2 MavRCK

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,375 posts

Posted 16 April 2015 - 09:45 PM

To be clear.. the reason why this laptop and most gaming laptops end up throttling is due to temps above 90C -- the laptop and the surface it sits on "heat soaks" and temperatures rise as the stock cooling cannot cope after a period of time. A cooling pad is required for extended periods of play and / or choosing a lower consistent speed of the cpu in throttlestop 7.

Some settings such as tripe buffering and higher pre-rendered frames caused jittery and input lag hence my settings.

FXAA looks nices but causes a slight blurriness to the image. I like it when in mech lab, I prefer without it and "crisper" images when piloting light mechs at 152 kph.

Edited by MavRCK, 16 April 2015 - 09:46 PM.

#3 Goose

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 3,463 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationThat flattop, up the well, overhead

Posted 16 April 2015 - 09:58 PM

Posted Image

#4 Goose

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 3,463 posts

Posted 16 April 2015 - 10:02 PM

Consistent with a Haswell @ 3.1GHz? Posted Image

Neat find, that ThrottleStop …

#5 xWiredx

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,805 posts

Posted 17 April 2015 - 07:17 AM

Good information for sure! Obviously my 870M 3GB is a little more capable, and I am a player that prefers to not sacrifice either eye candy or performance, so I will eventually get to tweaking and testing more thoroughly on my laptop, but your settings are a very good guideline and a lot of people here in the forums have probably ended up with similar hardware so this information is incredibly useful.

What are your min, max, and avg fps numbers like?

#6 MavRCK

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,375 posts

Posted 18 April 2015 - 11:43 AM

View PostxWiredx, on 17 April 2015 - 07:17 AM, said:

What are your min, max, and avg fps numbers like?

I have maxfps 60, without i see low to mid 80s. Very arely drops into high 40s low 50s. Heaviest fighting is smooth as a light pilot. My stream has hours of videos / play showing fps.

#7 Pasiasty

• Pip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 16 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 19 April 2015 - 10:59 PM

Could someone explain values used in this cfg?sys_budget_streamingthroughput = 18944000
sys_LocalMemoryGeometryStreamingSpeedLimit = 18500
sys_LocalMemoryTextureStreamingSpeedLimit = 18500
sys_streaming_max_bandwidth = 18500

sys_main_CPU = 0
r_WaterUpdateThread = 0
sys_streaming_CPU = 2
sys_physics_CPU = 3
sys_TaskThread5_CPU = 3

I have AMD Radeon 6850M with 1GB memory and i think those values could change.

#8 Goose

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 3,463 posts

Posted 20 April 2015 - 12:22 AM

You get the first set by typing into a command prompt in the OS "winsat mem" and has to do with your RAMs' thoughput

You get the very first number by multiplying the result by 1024; the others go in with just the decimal place(s) rounded off.

The second set is to help load-balance the CPU: Our Hero is an Intel Quad-core

having a 1Gig card means you need "sys_budget_videomem = 1024"

#9 Pasiasty

• Pip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 16 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 20 April 2015 - 04:06 AM

Good Lord... Thanks to that command i found out that my ram, for all those years, was running single-channel at 9Gb/s capacity... After replacing RAM its dual channel now with 17786 Mb/s (17Gb/s)!

#10 Goose

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 3,463 posts

Posted 20 April 2015 - 09:29 AM

O_o

See: "winsat mem" is the quick and dirty subset that gets this job, of filling out these strings, done; The full-on
winsat formal -restart clean
is the proper way to do it, but takes a few minutes to run, and it's been recommended to re-run it after every, or after a wave, of upgrades and patches. New RAM, new video card driver, and M$ says it's Patch Tuesday? You can winsat them all in one fell swoop …

Edited by Goose, 20 April 2015 - 09:30 AM.

#11 TLX

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 103 posts
  • LocationSpain

Posted 21 April 2015 - 10:49 PM

Goose give me a link to this thread. I dont understand a shet,please,what are u talking about¿¿¿¿ A program that optimize the performance of FPS on the laptop¿¿¿¿ Last time that one person reccommend me a program to DOUBLE the capacity of the RAM,this program does nothing. Actually i play on my laptop of 4 GB of RAM,Intel HD graphics and Couble Core Intel Celeron a 1.80 Ghz. I dont know which frames per second i have,but in some battles the fps fall. The only weapons i can manage good at game was LRM caused i have low graphic settings. Please tell me that this programs was not a lies and its used for optimize the FPS of the game...

#12 o0Marduk0o

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 4,231 posts
  • LocationBerlin, Germany

Posted 22 April 2015 - 01:17 AM

Constant 90+ °C on your CPU? You do it wrong unless you want to burn it in the long run. The max allowed temps told by Intel might be higher but the throttling has a reason.
You should go over 85°C, everything else is too high if the temps stay constant on this level for a long time.

Reduce environment and object details, those cost the most performance.

If your FPS are not high enough, get a better rig aka desktop pc or reduce setting even further.

Edited by o0Marduk0o, 22 April 2015 - 01:19 AM.

#13 MavRCK

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,375 posts

Posted 25 April 2015 - 06:19 AM

View Posto0Marduk0o, on 22 April 2015 - 01:17 AM, said:

Constant 90+ °C on your CPU? You do it wrong unless you want to burn it in the long run. The max allowed temps told by Intel might be higher but the throttling has a reason.
You should go over 85°C, everything else is too high if the temps stay constant on this level for a long time.

Reduce environment and object details, those cost the most performance.

If your FPS are not high enough, get a better rig aka desktop pc or reduce setting even further.

You're stating the obvious and missing point of this thread already... *facepalm*

#14 oldhasu

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 681 posts

Posted 25 April 2015 - 06:31 AM

Is there any way to check if variable working or not? I thought most of varialbes for user.cfg you listed here are blocked by pgi

#15 o0Marduk0o

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 4,231 posts
  • LocationBerlin, Germany

Posted 25 April 2015 - 07:36 AM

View PostMavRCK, on 25 April 2015 - 06:19 AM, said:

You're stating the obvious and missing point of this thread already... *facepalm*

The point of this thread? To burn your mobile cpu?
All fine with optimizing mobile performance but you're presenting tools which may harm your or other systems in the long run.

#16 Goose

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 3,463 posts

Posted 25 April 2015 - 02:51 PM

Thanks for posting you disapproval? :huh:

#17 MavRCK

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,375 posts

Posted 26 April 2015 - 10:39 AM

View Posto0Marduk0o, on 25 April 2015 - 07:36 AM, said:

The point of this thread? To burn your mobile cpu?
All fine with optimizing mobile performance but you're presenting tools which may harm your or other systems in the long run.

You're posting an uninformed opinion based on assumptions without understanding the full context of this thread - I realize english isn't your native language but nonetheless you're neither constructive nor helpful here.

Edited by MavRCK, 26 April 2015 - 10:39 AM.

#18 MavRCK

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,375 posts

Posted 02 May 2015 - 08:02 AM

Let me reiterate and clarify (since we've the usual uninformed big-mouths giving their 2cents here) - these settings and programs will optimize the framerates and smooth out the gameplay -- as a competitive player, I'm quite sensitive to this and don't want anything that interferes with targeting.

Yes, you can play higher settings -- but other than AA - the game won't look much better and you'll get framerate drops which will affect your targeting.

Yes, you can get a more powerful laptop - desktop - etc - but this is what works for this model and level of hardware i7 -860m or below (the Y50 is generally accepted as the best value power to $$ gaming laptop of 2014-15)

Enjoy your improved MWO experience.

Edited by MavRCK, 02 May 2015 - 08:02 AM.

#19 MavRCK

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,375 posts

Posted 14 May 2015 - 04:37 PM

http://forum.noteboo...c.772029/page-3

#20 MavRCK

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,375 posts

Posted 27 May 2015 - 02:26 PM

Just an FYI - thermal limitations of yoru computer will throttle your cpu despite the use of throttlestop

I just redid my thermal paste on my Y50 with Gelid Extreme - running 3.4ghz all 4 cores for hours and hours with max temp of 84C - HUGE improvement from 3.2 ghz with max temps of 92C

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users