171 replies to this topic

#1 Tina Benoit

Community Manager

• Developer
  • Developer
  • 817 posts

Posted 20 April 2015 - 10:12 AM

Hello MechWarriors!

Those of you who listened to the Town Hall on April 16th may remember the discussions regarding the Quirks!

This thread is to hear out your feedback regarding your most favorite Quirks, the ones you don't want to change!

#2 DrSlamastika

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 702 posts
  • LocationSlovakia

Posted 20 April 2015 - 10:23 AM

Sure I say my favourite and then you will nerf it . . good try :ph34r: :P

#3 CyclonerM

Tina's Warrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 5,684 posts
  • LocationA 2nd Wolf Guards Grenadiers JumpShip

Posted 20 April 2015 - 10:26 AM

I like very much quirks that emphasize the strenghts, role and particular caracteristics of a 'Mech: for example, agility quirks on the Ice Ferret, heat gen reduction on the Nova.. They should definitely help define a specific role/strenght for each 'Mech.

On the other hand, generic weapon class quirks help with variety while keeping the style and feel of the canon loadouts.

#4 Michal R

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 428 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 20 April 2015 - 10:45 AM

This is my favorite

Posted Image

#5 Tiamat of the Sea

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Guardian
  • Guardian
  • 1,326 posts

Posted 20 April 2015 - 11:20 AM

This is tough.

I'm not the kind of player who takes a 'mech and builds out the entire thing to take advantage of one specific quirk on it. I never converted my Thuds into Thunderwubs or ERPPCBolts or anything like that, my Panther 8 doesn't boat large lasers (nothing I've driven has ever boated large lasers, actually), and so on and so forth.

That makes it really hard to pin down particular quirks and go 'This is the best!'

That said...

UM-R60L: If I understand that one quirk right, it applies to all Inner Sphere small lasers- the regular, the pulse, and (when it eventually arrives) the ERSL as well. I like that. I like that a lot. I would love to see more quirks on the middle level of generalization- this also applies to the 'mechs that have quirks for LRM spread but not SRM spread or vice versa. Autocannon quirks, Medium-class Laser quirks, et cetera, would be a great way to get a middling level of flexible function from a quirk with less chance of accidentally having a collision of quirks to make boating The Best Idea Ever.

UM-R60: Machine Gun ROF- yes please! If this could get linked to Ballistic Cooldown or something, it would help Machine Guns immensely as a support weapon. As it is, general consensus is that less than three MGs doesn't mean much of anything, particularly since their damage rate in and of itself is somewhere between bad and pitiful. The idea of a 'critstorm' weapon is great, but not enough has been done to make this a competitive option when ballistic hardpoints can mount pretty much any other ballistic weapon and aren't present in quantities of 4+.

NARC Duration Quirks: Yes please! Even if the NARC still gets little respect (thanks to the way sensors/ECM/LRMs are individually and interacting with each other), I love to see quirks that affect support aspects of the 'mech. Perhaps some TAG quirks are in line somewhere, or a few AMS/Probe related quirks here or there? It would go a long way to reinforcing the idea that you guys actually care about Information Warfare (which has suffered badly due to 12v12 on small maps, the way sensors/ECM/Probes/TAG/NARC interact, and the very simplistic, narrowly-focused way that CW works currently).

#6 Ialdabaoth

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 329 posts

Posted 20 April 2015 - 11:24 AM

Weapon quirks: I LOVE the AC20 quirks on the King Crab 000, and the Medium Pulse quirks on the Boar's Head.

Other quirks: The Spider's enhanced acceleration and reverse speed are awesome. I really really wish the Spider-5V had some good Jump Jet quirks (say, a horizontal acceleration while jumping) to go along with them.

Edited by Ialdabaoth, 20 April 2015 - 11:25 AM.

#7 jay35

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 1,597 posts

Posted 20 April 2015 - 11:27 AM

View PostDrSlamastika, on 20 April 2015 - 10:23 AM, said:

Sure I say my favourite and then you will nerf it . . good try :ph34r: :P

Along this line of thinking, one of my favorites was the LPL quirks on the BJ-1X. :)

#8 Eagle01

• PipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 42 posts

Posted 20 April 2015 - 11:34 AM

I love quirks that actually fit the mech (i.e., AC20 cool down for the HBK-4G, SRM6 range and Cool down for STK-5M, etc..). But if the quirks don't really fit the mech or my loadout. For energy, the first thing I look for is heat generation, and for ballistics is cool down.

#9 Telmasa

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,548 posts

Posted 20 April 2015 - 11:36 AM

I'm confused, are you asking us for the quirks we think fit the game best, or the quirks we simply think are the most powerful and make a mech the most OP (and thus fun to play)?

Because I refuse to enjoy the latter, while I completely idealize the former.

I like the quirks on my Shadowhawk, Atlas-D-DC, and Jagermech-DD the best. Why? Because they're balanced - they don't make my mech OP, but they still add a bit of flavor and a competitive edge. (I'm still debating about the -30% jam quirk on the Jagermech, but otherwise it's cool.)

I don't quite like my Hunchback-4-SP, Catapult, or even really my Centurion AH - the cooldown quirks feel too strong, and allow those mechs to punch way above & beyond their weight (not to mention it complicates heat management). Note that the max the Jagermech has is 15%, while all three of these mechs have 20%+ cooldown quirks.

I'd be able to give a better response to favorite quirks, I think, if they were re-swept according to performance by tonnage. (again, locusts to other 20-25 ton mechs, atlases to other 95-100 ton mechs, hunchbacks compared to other 45-55 ton mechs, etc.)

Edited by Telmasa, 20 April 2015 - 11:38 AM.

#10 YUyahoo

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 339 posts

Posted 20 April 2015 - 11:37 AM

I prefer general quirks over specific. Every mech has an optimal build but if you quirk a mech with specific quirks geared towards that optimal build (or stock build, or any specific loadout) there is an increased likelihood that every mech of that variant will be built the same way. General quirks provide an opportunity to build a mech geared to its strengths that doesn't look the same as everyone else's build

#11 Tank

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,202 posts
  • LocationSelling baguettes in K-Town

Posted 20 April 2015 - 11:43 AM

I particularly hate quirks that enable boating. Right now we have energy meta, in current situation I would propose better quirks for ballistics - sine this weapons have a large trade off by being heavy and ammunition dependent.

As an anti-boating measure, I would propose something of quirk negation if some weapons are too abundant - they would for example overload energy systems of a mech. Basis for how munch certain energy weapon would burden the systems could be hardwired to summary of damage points of stock configuration.

Example: mech have 2 PPCs - 20 points of unburdened energy output, can be replaced by 4 Medium Lasers to maintain the quirks.

Could be a thing... :)

#12 Jabilo

• Philanthropist
  • 1,047 posts

Posted 20 April 2015 - 11:57 AM

Quirks should serve a purpse - to raise mechs that are objectively inferior to a level that they can be at least fun and viable.

Look at the Mist Lynx quirks that were designed to fit some mathematical formula or some "ideal" you guys had in your head - while ignoring the problems that people who actually played the mech experience every day.

Just like you did at the very beginning you should call on experienced competative players to help you balance these mechs based upon real in game combat effectiveness.

If you can make chassis fun and unique at the same time - great - but do not let it get in the way of proper game balance.

Do not get me wrong, I LOVE the quirk system. I think it is one of the best things that has happened to the game.

I currently have 85 mechs almost all fully mastered (most brought through grinding C bills over the years - not with real money). The quirk system has let me get all my old favourites out of the box and enjoy them all over again :)

The reson this happened was becsue the first wave of quirks used competitive players to identify which mechs were actually good and bad so they could be quirked accordingly.

Do not take this the wrong way but you guys have never understood how things such as hit boxes, high mounted weapons and mech scaling effect combat and have always balanced around nothing but hardpoints and engine size.

Put simply the last Clan quirk pass demonstrated you still do not understand real balance as well as the best players (not me by the way I am strictly average).

So what I am saying is yes quirks should be fun but do not let your fun get in the way of their intended purpose - every mech should be combat viable (until we get real role warfare but that's a gripe for another day).

Edited by Jabilo, 20 April 2015 - 11:57 AM.

#13 Jetfire

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,746 posts
  • LocationMinneapolis, MN

Posted 20 April 2015 - 12:10 PM

I like the quirks that make the mechs feel the most unique and special.
ENF-5P UAC/5 quirks

JR7-O SRM 4 quirks

DRG-1N AC5 quirk

The quirks feel the best when they create the identity of the mech.

#14 East Indy

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 1,212 posts
  • LocationPacifica Training School, waiting for BakPhar shares to rise

Posted 20 April 2015 - 12:26 PM

Extremely powerful quirks to main weapon systems that identify the 'Mech, especially where (pseudo-)canon is actually beneficial to and balanced within MWO. Examples would be the CN9-D, AWS-8Q, HBK-4G/J/H.

#15 Felio

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,721 posts

Posted 20 April 2015 - 12:28 PM

Boost to acceleration//deceleration/top speed for the Summoner was smart. I assume JJ quirkening is coming when the code is ready.

I like that the clans got "family" quirks and would like to see this applied to the IS side, as well.

The Yen Lo Wang was pretty difficult to get wrong, I guess, but I enjoy it. Though it has lagged a little with power creep due to being 50 tons with no long-range capability.

#16 aniviron

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,752 posts

Posted 20 April 2015 - 01:03 PM

The Hunchback quirks feel great- the G is very good, obviously, and the H and SP are both fun little brawlers. I don't own a J, but I actually see quite a lot of them these days, which is a refreshing change. The P is still not what it should be though, ghost heat ruined the mech.

The Raven 2X and 4X quirks are also pretty nice- they're in keeping with the stock loadouts more or less, and give the mechs a pretty nicely defined role. I'm still pretty annoyed that the leg hitboxes are still screwed up from the "temporary" change that was made in beta due to bad netcode though. It really makes the Raven as a chassis a lot less flexible, and specifically it means that the Huggin needs an absolutely silly 50% missile fire rate quirk to be effective because of how fragile the legs are. Fix the leg hitbox to what it used to be before the band-aid fix in beta, and tone down the Huggy's quirks a bit.

#17 Big Tin Man

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 1,957 posts

Posted 20 April 2015 - 01:13 PM

Agree with jetfire: the big specific buffs make those mechs feel like something special, but not so specific to encourage massive boating with no option for balance (I.E. Stalker 4N). I've been running the Jager-DD with the ultra jam reduction qurik and it is a blast. You can only really put 2 UAC's on there (I know you can make 3 work, but it doesn't work as well), so carrying 4 MG and 2 ML makes a balanced mech that is special at the same time.

We need more reduce UAC jam chance. Maybe even a weapon module for another 20% reduction. I also think MG's need to be brought back up.

#18 SniperCzar

• PipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 96 posts

Posted 20 April 2015 - 01:16 PM

I like quirks that raise the skill ceiling for a mech, as opposed to quirks that take no additional effort to use. A good example would be quirks to mobility and projectile velocity ie the ice ferret which experienced players will make good use of while average players are less affected by (and complain less) as quirks are tuned, added, and removed. Quirks should help min max a build that is already high risk high reward, not just add to everybody's dps for free.

#19 Wraith 1

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 710 posts

Posted 20 April 2015 - 01:29 PM

I really love the quirks on my COM-1B. It's an unpopular variant of an unpopular chassis, but the combination of ML duration and ML cooldown makes for some of the most glorious laserspam you're ever getting out of 3 hardpoints.

I also enjoy anything that has a large buff to SRM range. (Oxide, Huginn, first iteration of CTF-2X, etc.) It's far from optimal to fire them at that range, but I like pretending to have MRMs.

#20 XX Sulla XX

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,094 posts

Posted 20 April 2015 - 01:35 PM

Its not about favorite quirks but about quirks that makes mechs viable.

Mechs are made viable by firepower, durability and agility in that order.

Examples.

Victor not enough fire power, durability and agility to compete.

Highlander not enough fire power durability and agility to compete.

The above mechs do not need favorite quirks but quirks that work with them to make them viable. All depends on the exact short comings of each mech.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users