74 replies to this topic

#1 juxstapo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,683 posts
  • Locationmy Tier is bigger than yours.

Posted 22 April 2015 - 08:07 PM

Welp, this thing was practically a finished product right out the box. Really pleased with that 9 buck purchase. I feel like PGI has gotten better and better about giving us more for our bux now.

now.. initial fan boying aside, I've got to remember how to drive Griffins again.
Who else sprung for this one?

First thing I ripped ferro out, swapped the engine for an XL, tacked on Artemis to stack with that lovely 5% spread reduction.

#2 Shadey99

• The Tip of the Spear
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • 1,241 posts

Posted 23 April 2015 - 02:43 AM

I haven't bought the 2N yet, but I own all the standard Griffons and play them regularly. Stock it is quite a bit like my ERPPC+MPL+4xSRM4 loadout on my 3M.

The quirks pull you into two competing directions of sniper (ERPPC velocity) and brawler (Missile velocity and SRM spread). LRM 'boat' may work in PUGs with that boost as well, but I wouldn't run it in a Griffin. My 3M can sort of pull that off by only firing the ERPPC at range and then using the MPL and SRMs in chainfire up close. This build needs to specialize more going with 2 ERPPC and sniping or lasers and SRMs for brawling. Personally I think it almost has to be used as a sniper since ECM doesn't work well up close (countered by BAP), so sniping is less risky.

In the end I'd probably go with 2xERPPC, a 340 XL engine, and max JJs. If you ditch the FF you can free up some slots for better heat dissipation by dropping the engine. However the 340XL makes you slightly faster than a stock Stormcrow (~97 kph for them and ~100 kph for the 2N) and the max JJs let you climb up onto heights rivaled only by lights and other JJ heavy mediums, perfect for sniping.

Edited by Shadey99, 23 April 2015 - 02:43 AM.

#3 Tarogato

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 6,557 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 23 April 2015 - 03:07 AM

How do you guys deal with putting PPCs on Griffins? I find that my right arm gets blown off the moment any enemy mech looks my direction... you can't protect it for shjt because of the huge tall hitbox.

#4 TercieI

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,147 posts
  • LocationThe Far Country

Posted 23 April 2015 - 04:17 AM

View Postjuxstapo, on 22 April 2015 - 08:07 PM, said:

Welp, this thing was practically a finished product right out the box. Really pleased with that 9 buck purchase. I feel like PGI has gotten better and better about giving us more for our bux now.

now.. initial fan boying aside, I've got to remember how to drive Griffins again.
Who else sprung for this one?

First thing I ripped ferro out, swapped the engine for an XL, tacked on Artemis to stack with that lovely 5% spread reduction.

You know I bought one. :)

View PostTarogato, on 23 April 2015 - 03:07 AM, said:

How do you guys deal with putting PPCs on Griffins? I find that my right arm gets blown off the moment any enemy mech looks my direction... you can't protect it for shjt because of the huge tall hitbox.

I use lasers. :/

#5 Dagon Zur

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 142 posts

Posted 23 April 2015 - 04:35 AM

Oh my! What a nice mech! I'm tempted to buy it.....already have a few ideas how to play it:

ECM-Splatter (4xASRM6), for serious stuff
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...d235d1ee32e7779

ECM-Troll (ERPPC, TAG, 4xLRM5), for fun
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...9ea277cdd349181

#6 eFTy

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 296 posts

Posted 23 April 2015 - 04:44 AM

Holy crap! When I first saw this mech in the patch notes I just shrugged and kept reading. I didn't notice the ECM slot and thought there's no point in getting it over the 3M.

Now I kinda feel there's barely any point to the 3M, aside from the LT energy slot being mounted higher than the arm, but I already have the Sparky for cleavage-shooting anyway.

Edited by eFTy, 23 April 2015 - 04:44 AM.

#7 TercieI

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,147 posts

Posted 23 April 2015 - 05:09 AM

View PosteFTy, on 23 April 2015 - 04:44 AM, said:

Holy crap! When I first saw this mech in the patch notes I just shrugged and kept reading. I didn't notice the ECM slot and thought there's no point in getting it over the 3M.

Now I kinda feel there's barely any point to the 3M, aside from the LT energy slot being mounted higher than the arm, but I already have the Sparky for cleavage-shooting anyway.

I haven't driven the 2N yet, but keep in mind that one of the things that makes the 3M special is that all the missiles come out of the same section. This gives them a much tighter spread vs. say the WVR-7K which otherwise might be better. Also, for competition, you can virtually deadside the 3M and really take advantage of its ability to use a standard engine and tank a lot more. The 2N can't do that. (Admittedly, good teams will be legging you in a GRF anyway so that doesn't matter as much as it might). All in all, I think it's an interesting tradeoff. Feels like the AS7-D-DC and AS7-S equation to me.

#8 SpiralFace

• The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 1,151 posts
  • LocationAlshain

Posted 23 April 2015 - 05:34 AM

View PosteFTy, on 23 April 2015 - 04:44 AM, said:

3M is still the better brawler with all of its hard points stacked on top of one another, the SRM convergence is greater on that one, and you have a bit more options with the laser placement. Asymmetrical builds also allows higher skilled players to better "shield side" to cover components with your primary weapon systems.

So 3M is probably still the better mech in 1v1 dual situations, but the 1N defiantly brings more utility to the table.

#9 Shadey99

• The Tip of the Spear
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • 1,241 posts

Posted 23 April 2015 - 08:33 AM

View PostTarogato, on 23 April 2015 - 03:07 AM, said:

I shield with my weaponless left arm. I hardly ever die without that shield arm down first. Heck I ran my 3M earlier and accidentally jumped across the path of 6 enemy mechs (I was crossing buildings), when I got to the other side I ran straight into a 2N on said roof, then trying to get back to my team (who hadn't bothered to help me much if at all) I got hit by two forward snipers and the 2N. I survived it all with my weapons intact though. I had lost the shield arm and all my torso armor in the process (43% of my mech left). I might as well be playing a faster, more agile thunderbolt...

However... In a ECM sniper build (I've done ERPPC sniper in my Cicada before for instance) the idea is not to be seen at all and just send bolts sailing into them from odd angles they don't expect, then fading away...

#10 mogs01gt

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • 4,292 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 24 April 2015 - 05:39 AM

Havent had a chance to play but I will get it and sell my other Griffin. I cant wait for my 2n!! I requested this sucker last year I think.

You have a few choices for builds, it even takes a STD engine nicely.

GRF-2N w/ STD Engine
GRF-2N 300xl
GRF-2N LRMs but I dont really run LRMs lol, no idea how to build it

Edited by mogs01gt, 24 April 2015 - 05:40 AM.

#11 Crotch RockIt

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Money Maker
  • The Money Maker
  • 583 posts
  • Locationchewing his lower lip

Posted 24 April 2015 - 06:06 AM

I've tried the 4xLRM5, 2xML build and the 4xSRM4, 2xMPL build, but both of them were lacking, IMHO. Plus, there are other mechs that can do those builds better, ECM notwithstanding. I've decided to run a build that no other 55 tonner can pull off, including the 3M. It punches like a Mack truck up close and is a very effective brawler, if you can use the shield arms well.

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...af0a42583f1abd5

#12 eFTy

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 296 posts

Posted 24 April 2015 - 06:06 AM

I really want to run this on it. Also, this.

The fact that it has launchers on both shoulders is just so cool! I'm buying it right after the battle for Tukkayyid

#13 Bront

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 4,212 posts
  • LocationInternet

Posted 24 April 2015 - 06:35 AM

I find the spread quirks are pretty awesome, and SRM4 groupings are very tight without Artemis. So I went with a mobile ECM Striker.

2ML, 4 SRM4, XL325

I had a match yesterday with 3 kills, 8 assists, 891 damage, and once I ran out of ammo and had lost my laser arm, I chased around a Streak Crow that didn't have BAP for 3 minutes while my team cleaned up.

#14 eFTy

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 296 posts

Posted 24 April 2015 - 06:48 AM

Streak Crow without a BAP. That must've been hilarious! :)

#15 percolated1

• PipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 64 posts
  • LocationUpper left coast of the USA

Posted 24 April 2015 - 09:22 AM

I see this as a main group ECM/ECCM, which to me means splitting firepower to be able to help the group I'm bubbling whenever.

I like my GRF-2N with a 300XL, ER PPC, 4xSRM4, BAP. Haven't had any real monster drops yet, but I got consistent 300-damage drops in the pugs while basicing it out, and it seems to help the team out running that way. 6-1-1 in the first 8 drops, even KD at 5-5.

I agree that the stock config is completely viable, and I would suggest it's even better for CW with the std engine. Maybe drop the SRM6s to SRM4s to fit BAP. I think the CASE in the RT is not very helpful, as losing that torso renders you toothless (though you still have ECM so I guess it's not totally pointless). I think it's better to put the ammo H and CT, and then use the CASE tonnage to add AMS with 1000 ammo GRF-2N CW Suggestion.

Edited by percolated1, 24 April 2015 - 09:38 AM.

#16 mogs01gt

• Shredder
  • 4,292 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 24 April 2015 - 10:47 AM

View Postpercolated1, on 24 April 2015 - 09:22 AM, said:

I see this as a main group ECM/ECCM, which to me means splitting firepower to be able to help the group I'm bubbling whenever.

I like my GRF-2N with a 300XL, ER PPC, 4xSRM4, BAP. Haven't had any real monster drops yet, but I got consistent 300-damage drops in the pugs while basicing it out, and it seems to help the team out running that way. 6-1-1 in the first 8 drops, even KD at 5-5.

I agree that the stock config is completely viable, and I would suggest it's even better for CW with the std engine. Maybe drop the SRM6s to SRM4s to fit BAP. I think the CASE in the RT is not very helpful, as losing that torso renders you toothless (though you still have ECM so I guess it's not totally pointless). I think it's better to put the ammo H and CT, and then use the CASE tonnage to add AMS with 1000 ammo GRF-2N CW Suggestion.

There is no reason to run BAP+ECM. If you ran streaks, then BAP would increase your locks but that is it.

Edited by mogs01gt, 24 April 2015 - 10:47 AM.

#17 TercieI

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,147 posts

Posted 24 April 2015 - 10:54 AM

View Postmogs01gt, on 24 April 2015 - 10:47 AM, said:

There is no reason to run BAP+ECM. If you ran streaks, then BAP would increase your locks but that is it.

BAP doesn't improve lock on time, it improves target info gathering time.

#18 David McCarthy

• Pip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 17 posts

Posted 24 April 2015 - 11:18 AM

I run mine max armor ( except for left arm and head, 300XL, 1 medium laser, 4 SRM6+artemis. Shield with the left arm. once it's gone, shield with the right.

11 matches so far., 8 wins, 9 kills, 6 deaths. averageing around 400 damage a game. Fantastic mech to use! it's the perfect flanking mech, since it's sneaky with the ECM, fast, and hits like a truck up close. bring another good, fast brawler with you, say a streakcrow/cat, wub boat/ victor... and you can roll up an enemy flank in a few seconds if the enemy isnt watching.

#19 percolated1

• PipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 64 posts
  • LocationUpper left coast of the USA

Posted 24 April 2015 - 12:13 PM

View Postmogs01gt, on 24 April 2015 - 10:47 AM, said:

BAP negates one ECM in range without having to toggle your own ECM to counter. It also bumps lock range and reduces target information acquisition time. In CW, there is often about twice the enemy ECM coverage as in the pug queues and nigh everybody has radar derp on, so extra BAPs can make a big difference.

#20 TercieI

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,147 posts

Posted 24 April 2015 - 12:15 PM

View Postpercolated1, on 24 April 2015 - 12:13 PM, said:

BAP negates one ECM in range without having to toggle your own ECM to counter. It also bumps lock range and reduces target information acquisition time. In CW, there is often about twice the enemy ECM coverage as in the pug queues and nigh everybody has radar derp on, so extra BAPs can make a big difference.

But a BAP mounted on a mech also mounting ECM loses its countering ability, so there's still no reason to run one when running ECM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users