World of Tanks cover system

16 replies to this topic

#1 Unonoctium

Rookie

• 2 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 01:54 AM

I started playing world of tanks and i'm really amazed by the cover system they use. I suggest the devs take a look and adopt what they think is good.

#2 Oderint dum Metuant

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,758 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 18 May 2012 - 01:56 AM

View PostUnonoctium, on 18 May 2012 - 01:54 AM, said:

I started playing world of tanks and i'm really amazed by the cover system they use. I suggest the devs take a look and adopt what they think is good.

Invisible Mechs that are 2M away from me, no thanks.

#3 Tarellond

• PipPipPip
  • 92 posts
  • LocationEU (Czech Republic)

Posted 18 May 2012 - 02:14 AM

I used to play WoT a lot, more than 10k matches from beta until now.
Basically the game has two major weaknesses, matchmaking and spotting system. While matchmaking is somehow being dealt with, spotting is the worst thing in WoT. Tanks appearing and disappearing in a street 100m in front of you with nothing blocking the sight just happened too many times to depress the players.

EDIT: If by cover you by any chance meant hiding behind buildings and taking physical cover from shells, then i must say i didn't notice anything extra on that.

Edited by Tarellond, 18 May 2012 - 02:16 AM.

#4 LordKnightFandragon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,239 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 02:15 AM

OMFG

IF MWO even THINKS of adopting WoT's cover, vision system I will personally send a TNT filled Overlord directly to their headquarters and BLOW IT OFF THE FACE OF EXISTANCE!!!!!!! WoTs vision system is BULLSHIT with a Capital Z....Tanks mysteriously POOF in the middle of open fields, you cant see a tank sitting in an open field or evne moving across opens fields. You have tanks that can drive right up on you and you no see them....one epic quote that someone on the WoT forums used...

it goes something like

"If you went into (some russian tank muesem, forgot which one the quote says), using Wot's vision system, all you would see would be an empty room"

You dont know how true that is....I SERIOUSLY hope MWO doesnt use that system.....in fact, I hope MWO adopts as few of WG's ideas as possible....I could go on for hours about what I dont like in WoT....

#5 God of War

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 447 posts
  • LocationGermany/Stuttgart

Posted 18 May 2012 - 02:26 AM

the sight-sys from Wot ist the biggest piel of crap the wargaming.net has ever spit into this world

#6 Unonoctium

Rookie

• 2 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 02:48 AM

Maybe you guys played an older version of the game? Maybe they updated the system, because to me it seems to act absolutely reasonable.

#7 Adridos

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 10,635 posts
  • LocationHiding in a cake, left in green city called New A... something.

Posted 18 May 2012 - 03:11 AM

View PostUnonoctium, on 18 May 2012 - 02:48 AM, said:

Maybe you guys played an older version of the game? Maybe they updated the system, because to me it seems to act absolutely reasonable.

Maybe for blind people. I have yet to see a car suddenly appearing in the middle of the road, while I stared at it and nothing was there before. :)

Edited by Adridos, 18 May 2012 - 03:11 AM.

#8 StaIker

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 299 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 04:37 AM

View PostUnonoctium, on 18 May 2012 - 01:54 AM, said:

You are out of your mind. WoT is the worst cover system I have ever experienced and results in any number of horrible consequences to gameplay. The Devs would have to have their brains removed to think of copying it, or anything like it.

#9 Howling Mad Murdock

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 254 posts
  • LocationPlanet Sian....but sometimes Essex, UK

Posted 18 May 2012 - 05:45 AM

Must say I stopped playing WOT a while ago now... the whole disappearing Tanks issue just did my head in too much, also didn't much like the grind it took to get to the higher tier tanks...

The Matchmaking was awful too... the amount of times a Russian KV would end up in a game consisting of light tanks got dull very quickly.

#10 Mechteric

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 7,308 posts
  • LocationRTP, NC

Posted 18 May 2012 - 05:59 AM

Not necessary, if you don't wanna be seen, stay behind that big hill or building over there.

#11 Stormeris

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 988 posts
  • LocationLithuania

Posted 18 May 2012 - 06:06 AM

I'll let youtube answer this suggestion for me! what say you youtube?

I rest my case

#12 Kaemon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,924 posts
  • LocationMN

Posted 18 May 2012 - 06:23 AM

Ok if you're going to whinge about their crappy sight system, do it right...

http://forum.worldof...dated-20110108/

It's a pretty good example of game theory run amuck, then gone horribly wrong (and then being pretty much ignored) by a group of devs I've seen in quite awhile.

While I understand the reasoning behind it, it does not work well, and it's one of the (long list) of reasons I quit playing quite a while ago.

Learn from other's mistakes and move on.

No to disappearing mechs (even after they're dead, I want them to sit there smoking with sparks coming out and use them as cover).

#13 Attalward

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 382 posts
  • LocationSpain

Posted 18 May 2012 - 07:23 AM

I have also played WoT and i do hate the stupidness of its cover system.

My suggestion is to implement a cover system only for electronic detection as if your radar can see it. But my eyes are my eyes if i cna see the ech it sohuld never become magically insvisible.

#14 Monky

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 3,219 posts
  • LocationHypothetical Warrior

Posted 18 May 2012 - 08:19 AM

If you're visible, you should be visible. Radar signatures and locks are another story, and I hope they use that route to help scouts/spotters be more combat effective. The spotting system in WOT is shaky at best, even slight deviation from exactly the area of the bush you're behind and bam, spotted. It would be better if they made the maps larger and more diverse in terrain, and merely made tanks show up on radar/IFF indicator due to those rules, but had them visible at all times.

Edited by monky, 18 May 2012 - 08:20 AM.

#15 Outlaw2

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 526 posts
  • LocationIn a van...

Posted 18 May 2012 - 09:08 AM

The cover system from World of Tanks™ should not be adopted and implemented for the upcoming free to play, online game MechWarrior® Online.

That is all.

Edited by =Outlaw=, 18 May 2012 - 09:10 AM.

#16 Adridos

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 10,635 posts
  • LocationHiding in a cake, left in green city called New A... something.

Posted 18 May 2012 - 10:05 AM

Well, the line of sight is clearly the Mechwarrior one, no invisible mechs. :)

#17 Helmer

• Stone Cold
  • 3,272 posts
  • LocationColumbus, Ga

Posted 18 May 2012 - 10:55 AM

As no one is currently reading this topic, and everyone is off sharpening pitchforks, I'm going to lock this thread.

Let's not be too harsh, the OP simply made a suggestion.:unsure:

Locked before the torches arrive.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users