What Is Your Relation Between Mwo/mw And Tt?

76 replies to this topic

#1 Burktross

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 3,663 posts
  • LocationStill in closed beta

Posted 05 May 2015 - 06:13 PM

Simply for curiosity purposes!
[megamek = MM]
http://strawpoll.me/4289532

My case is "I started with MW/MWO and then found about TT through it. I play with pnp and Megamek". I admit, I only bought the physical TT version very recently. It's hard to find people willing to play it (in my age group), so I didn't want to spend ~$50 on the Introductory Box Set until I was sure I'd have people to play it with.

So what's your case(s)?

Edited by Burktross, 05 May 2015 - 06:13 PM.

#2 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 05 May 2015 - 06:27 PM

My MW/BT journey looks like this, in sort-of chronological order:
  • K'NEX Mad Cat for Christmas
  • MW4 Vengeance
  • Mechassault
  • MW4 Mercenaries
  • Mechassault 2
  • Dark Age heroclix miniatures (just collected, never played)
  • MW3 (including Pirate's Moon)
  • MWO
  • SSW (Solaris Skunk Werks)
  • MW Tactics (while it lasted...)
  • MWLL (tried a bit but didn't really get into it)

Edited by FupDup, 05 May 2015 - 07:16 PM.

#3 Spheroid

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,060 posts
  • LocationSouthern Wisconsin

Posted 05 May 2015 - 06:30 PM

MW2 -> BT 3rd Edition, MW2:GBL, MW2:Mercs, MW3, BT 25th Anniversy, MWO.

Edited by Spheroid, 05 May 2015 - 06:32 PM.

#4 El Bandito

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 05 May 2015 - 06:30 PM

Mechwarrior 2 Titanium Trilogy > Mechwarrior 3 > Crescent Hawk's Inception > Mechcommander > MechCommander 2 > Mechwarrior 4 > MW4:Mercenaries > MWLL > MWO.

Only read about TT version out of curiosity. Only thing I truly learned is that TT rules are heavily outdated for FPS mech game, and should not be followed vigorously.

Edited by El Bandito, 05 May 2015 - 06:35 PM.

#5 Burktross

• Bad Company
  • 3,663 posts

Posted 05 May 2015 - 06:32 PM

View PostFupDup, on 05 May 2015 - 06:27 PM, said:

My MW/BT journey looks like this, in chronological order:
  • K'NEX Mad Cat for Christmas
  • MW4 Vengeance
  • Mechassault
  • MW4 Mercenaries
  • Mechassault 2
  • Dark Age heroclix miniatures (just collected, never played)
  • MW3 (including Pirate's Moon)
  • MWO
  • SSW (Solaris Skunk Werks)
  • MW Tactics (while it lasted...)

And here I am, the peasant who went from just Mechassault 2, to MW4 Mercs, to MWO, to TT.
I mean, I had Black Knight and Vengeance... I just couldn't get over how terrible the AI was. Also, my MW3 APCs like to fly.

#6 Lyoto Machida

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 5,080 posts

Posted 05 May 2015 - 06:36 PM

First got introduced to BT via playing TT at my cousin's house. Played the Crescent Hawk games, MW1 and a few of the later MW games, plus Multiplayer Battletech EGA. Played Mechassault on XBbox much later lol. Was excited when I saw the MW5 trailer and then ended up here a few years later.

#7 FupDup

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 05 May 2015 - 06:50 PM

View PostBurktross, on 05 May 2015 - 06:32 PM, said:

And here I am, the peasant who went from just Mechassault 2, to MW4 Mercs, to MWO, to TT.
I mean, I had Black Knight and Vengeance... I just couldn't get over how terrible the AI was. Also, my MW3 APCs like to fly.

Now that I think about it, I think I might have actually went through MA before MW4 Vengeance...bad memory is bad. All I know is that the K'NEX Mad Cat started it all.

Posted Image

It also got me started on K'NEX, too, because had no idea WTF it was or that it existed until some random cousin or whoever gave me this set.

Oh, and at the end of the list I could add that I tried a little bit of MWLL, but never got into it.

Edited by FupDup, 05 May 2015 - 06:55 PM.

#8 Stealth Fox

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 736 posts
  • LocationOff in the Desert

Posted 05 May 2015 - 06:54 PM

Got MW2 from my brother inlaw, played it endlessly

got Knex, never got an offical set, but damn if I didn't make a mix of the Timberwolf and Marauder as well as other lesser mechs to blast.

Got into Macross after my dad died, Learned about the Unseen then.

Got MW3

found someone who played the Table Top, Delved into that.

MW4

And ..yes... I played the Mech Assault games..

then Living legends and now this.

#9 Ragtag soldier

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 358 posts

Posted 05 May 2015 - 07:01 PM

hope you enjoy the game burktross! there's a bit of a learning curve, but it's a great game once you get the feel for it! be sure to go to the official battletech forums if you have any questions at all, there's plenty of people willing to help and the line developers have an official subforum for asking them questions you can't get answered any other way!

#10 Hit the Deck

• 4,677 posts
  • LocationIndonesia

Posted 05 May 2015 - 07:14 PM

Have been playing MechWarrior games since MW2 and the then lore/source material takes my interest but never have the wish to play TT because the miniatures are so bad :/

#11 WazOfOz

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • 177 posts
  • Locationnot the arse hole of the world, but I can see it from here

Posted 05 May 2015 - 07:21 PM

Had pockets full of cash many moons ago. stumbled over MW2 on a shelf in a local shop purchased it, loved it, kept me buying more. only played TT with a mate shortly before beta release of MWO. enjoyed it also but could see it was going to be difficult to translate into a FPS.

#12 Alistair Winter

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Storm
  • Storm
  • 10,823 posts
  • LocationBergen, Norway, FRR

Posted 05 May 2015 - 07:25 PM

This is where I shake my head at anyone who hasn't been playing since the glory days of MW2.

Posted Image

I never played TT, by the way. Nobody played BT TT in Norway, and by the time I knew it existed I was already playing Warhammer 40,000 and other GW games and - let's face it - Battletech miniatures are ugly as sin compared to GW miniatures. And just for the sake of offending absolutely everyone on this forum, I will also say that BT TT players generally don't know how to paint miniatures. I've never seen as many badly painted miniatures as when looking at people's BT TT collections. Come at me, bros.

(For me, it was the Battletech animated series > MW2 > MW2:Mercs > MW3 > Mech Commander > MW4 > Mech Commander 2 > MW4:expansions > MWO.
I missed MW:LL because it was pre-alpha when I first heard of it, and then I never heard of it actually being a successful game until I learned about MWO.)

There's only one group of BT fans I look up to. The guys who were introduced to BT through playing Mechwarrior, the first video game, made in 1989. I bow down to you.

Posted Image

#13 AccessTime

• PipPipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 05 May 2015 - 07:27 PM

I played the tabletop back in Junior High and High School, for the first year it was called "Battledroids" then but became "Battletech", "Citytech", "Aerotech", "Mechwarrior" books were released.  Some of my friends were into robotech but it seemed like a cheap copy of battletech at the time, so it wasn't too popular with my group.  Played up through the Clan Invasion with another group, but lost interest in the tabletop/RPG in favor of other games.
As far as the PC side, I played the original Mechwarrior game, MW2, MW2:  Mercenaries, and that's it before MWO.  The only tabletop that interests me today is the dark age era, since it feels like it brings back the original theme of the sucession wars of a universe (and technology) in decay.  
Sadly most of the group I started playing MWO with have given up on it, so I pretty much just pug a few games every now and then these days."Battletech miniatures are ugly as sin compared to GW miniatures"Battletech was never supposed to be pretty... miniatures are honestly just a cash grab.  We used the little paper and plastic stands with drawings of mechs on them that came with the different sets. And the first mechwarrior game was revolutionary for its time, I remember both that and Star Control were big hits in my college dorm.

Edited by AccessTime, 05 May 2015 - 07:32 PM.

#14 Ragtag soldier

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 358 posts

View PostAlistair Winter, on 05 May 2015 - 07:25 PM, said:

Battletech miniatures are ugly as sin compared to GW miniatures.

you and me? we're enemies now.

#15 Triordinant

• Ace Of Spades
  • 3,495 posts
  • LocationThe Dark Side of the Moon

In chronological order, starting in 1985:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#16 Alistair Winter

• Storm
  • Storm
  • 10,823 posts

Posted 05 May 2015 - 07:32 PM

View PostTriordinant, on 05 May 2015 - 07:27 PM, said:

Spoiler

Is that a Jagermech? Oh my god, it is! It's based on a Robotech design!

That thing is beautiful! Makes the MWO Jagermech look terrible by comparison. I want that robot!

Dammit, PGI should just steal all those Japanese designs! Steal the Marauder, steal the Warhammer, steal the Robotech Jagermech! F*** tha police!

#17 Ragtag soldier

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 358 posts

Posted 05 May 2015 - 07:36 PM

View PostAlistair Winter, on 05 May 2015 - 07:32 PM, said:

That thing is beautiful! Makes the MWO Jagermech look terrible by comparison. I want that robot!

that's not a jagermech, that's a rifleman. 2xAC/5, 2xLL, 2xML 64kph, not all that much armor. otherwise, you get the idea.

also, why is "photo of a sexy lady for your cockpit" not a decoration in the game? come on....

#18 Spokes

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 574 posts

Posted 05 May 2015 - 07:37 PM

View PostAlistair Winter, on 05 May 2015 - 07:32 PM, said:

Not quite.

http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Rifleman

#19 Alistair Winter

• Storm
  • Storm
  • 10,823 posts

Posted 05 May 2015 - 07:46 PM

View PostRagtag soldier, on 05 May 2015 - 07:36 PM, said:

that's not a jagermech, that's a rifleman. 2xAC/5, 2xLL, 2xML 64kph, not all that much armor. otherwise, you get the idea.

also, why is "photo of a sexy lady for your cockpit" not a decoration in the game? come on....

View PostSpokes, on 05 May 2015 - 07:37 PM, said:

Hm, then why are the 4 barrels identical? No matter! We must have it. Damn the meta, damn international copyright laws. That mech is too beautiful not to have it in the game.

#20 Burktross

• Bad Company
  • 3,663 posts

Posted 05 May 2015 - 09:13 PM

View PostRagtag soldier, on 05 May 2015 - 07:01 PM, said:

hope you enjoy the game burktross! there's a bit of a learning curve, but it's a great game once you get the feel for it! be sure to go to the official battletech forums if you have any questions at all, there's plenty of people willing to help and the line developers have an official subforum for asking them questions you can't get answered any other way!

Heh, thanks a lot, but the learning is more for my friends than I. I've been playing megamek for a good year now and learned TT like that after falling in love with it; not getting it physically because no one in my school appreciates games with bad graphics, let alone TT games. Thankfully, now that I've successfully pitched the wonders of battletech to three of my friends, the only help I need is memorization techniques for hit locations and then teaching /them/ the rules.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users