What Is Your Relation Between Mwo/mw And Tt?

76 replies to this topic

#21 CycKath

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,574 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationSE QLD, Australia

Posted 05 May 2015 - 11:29 PM

TT in the mid-90s, playing at lunch time at high school, progressing thought MW2, GBL and Mercs (with a revert back to playing the Crecent Hawk games and MW1 after I found a compilation pack at Cash Converters). After that I mostly faded of BattleTech, skipped MW3 and MW4 and even started ebaying my old TT books. By about 2007 and the birth of my first kid I experienced a reveal in part due to Sarna of all things. Inspired by the fluff, I started rebuying (in PDF form) many of the books I once had and MWO founder program was a no brainer. I still probably spend far more on TT stuff than MWO per year, and far more lifetime spend as well.

#22 Risen

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 192 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 06 May 2015 - 12:18 AM

Started with TT in '93 and kept playing since with more or less the same bunch of people from our PnP group.
Nowadays we manage about a game every 2-3 weeks.

It's good to run stock mechs once in a while and cut away from all the min-maxing neccesarry in MWO.

#23 generalazure

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 232 posts

Posted 06 May 2015 - 01:25 AM

Found MW3 in the garbage sale bin at my local supermarket and bought it simply because I liked the box art (and it actually ran on my K6 cpu). :P

#24 Hound of War

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 79 posts

Posted 06 May 2015 - 01:46 AM

Bin at it sence the mid 80's, played the rpg while in the Army in the early 90's (in Germany). Played EVERY computer game that had anything to do with BT or Mechwarrior.

#25 Midax

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 195 posts

Posted 06 May 2015 - 03:55 AM

Started on TT right as the clans came out.

Started the computer games with Cresent Hawks Revenge and have played every game after, including the SNES one and mech assaults.

#26 Ovion

• The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 3,182 posts

Posted 06 May 2015 - 04:31 AM

I started with Mechwarrior I think...
It might have been Heavy Gear that segwayed into BT?

It was a long time ago, I know I had MW2, 3, 4, MC1, 2 and played Megamek a lot in the past.

Sadly, locally, nowhere sold it, no one played it (I'm in the UK, originally Kent).
Warhammer was key, and pretty cool, so I started with Dark Eldar and never stopped. :P

This year I finally bought my first IRL minis, as Forbidden Planet had the IBS for a sensible price (that I didn't even know was available in the UK either).
Then I discovered Ral Partha.

Having no one to actually play with be damned:
Posted Image
(Bad picture isn't very good.
The pile of bits is a Locust IIC that the cat discovered)

View PostAlistair Winter, on 05 May 2015 - 07:25 PM, said:

This is where I shake my head at anyone who hasn't been playing since the glory days of MW2.

Posted Image

I never played TT, by the way. Nobody played BT TT in Norway, and by the time I knew it existed I was already playing Warhammer 40,000 and other GW games and - let's face it - Battletech miniatures are ugly as sin compared to GW miniatures. And just for the sake of offending absolutely everyone on this forum, I will also say that BT TT players generally don't know how to paint miniatures. I've never seen as many badly painted miniatures as when looking at people's BT TT collections. Come at me, bros.

(For me, it was the Battletech animated series > MW2 > MW2:Mercs > MW3 > Mech Commander > MW4 > Mech Commander 2 > MW4:expansions > MWO.
I missed MW:LL because it was pre-alpha when I first heard of it, and then I never heard of it actually being a successful game until I learned about MWO.)

There's only one group of BT fans I look up to. The guys who were introduced to BT through playing Mechwarrior, the first video game, made in 1989. I bow down to you.

Posted Image

A lot are, a lot aren't.

I'm going to paint them up nicely too.
Got me an airbrush I'm itching to try out as well. :P

#27 TercieI

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,147 posts
  • LocationThe Far Country

Posted 06 May 2015 - 04:41 AM

Had a friend who played BT in high school, dabbled (I was into Car Wars). Started MWO a couple years ago. Never been into the franchise nor really a PC gamer. I just really love MWO.

#28 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationMallanhold, Furillo

Posted 06 May 2015 - 04:44 AM

Tabletop 3025 (1986ish)
is where I got my start. Didn't get the Video Game (MW2) till mid late 90s. So to me a MechWarrior game is meant to be like a real time TT battle. Like I always saw it in my head... just faster.

#29 HammerMaster

• The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 2,516 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire, USA

Posted 06 May 2015 - 04:49 AM

Posted Image

Circa 1988. Played on an old 286. Click link below to DL.
http://www.abandonia...ksInception.htm

Edited by HammerMaster, 06 May 2015 - 04:50 AM.

#30 Vandul

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,342 posts
  • LocationYork, New

Posted 06 May 2015 - 05:07 AM

I started with TT and then found out about MW/MWO. I still play TT(/mm) today.

OP, if you use Facebook, there are a ton of user groups for TT, Alpha Strike, etc... You can usually find or advertise players for your locale there.

Edited by Vandul, 06 May 2015 - 06:31 AM.

#31 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 06 May 2015 - 05:11 AM

View PostBurktross, on 05 May 2015 - 06:13 PM, said:

Simply for curiosity purposes!
[megamek = MM]
http://strawpoll.me/4289532

My case is "I started with MW/MWO and then found about TT through it. I play with pnp and Megamek". I admit, I only bought the physical TT version very recently. It's hard to find people willing to play it (in my age group), so I didn't want to spend ~$50 on the Introductory Box Set until I was sure I'd have people to play it with.

So what's your case(s)?

Discovered TT Btech in 1987. Discovered Crescent Hawks inception a couple of years later. Then every other Btech/MW title to follow as they came out. Am a TT loyalist first (have only played MegaMek a few times. It's handy, but it's not quite Btech, unless I can figure out how to turn off certain rules in it).

Became a Founder for MWO on the promise of it being the "Closest to TT" interpretation yet. Well. That was pretty true in Closed Beta, and progressively less with every patch since. Some has been necessary because TT rules don't always translate, some, I feel was less well thought out.

Still, it's a fun game, and I hope it prospers.

#32 MeiSooHaityu

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 10,912 posts
  • LocationMI

Posted 06 May 2015 - 05:13 AM

MechWarrior 2
MechWarrior 3
MechWarrior 3: Pirate Moon
Mechcommander

Long break from the franchise...

MechWarrior Online
Played a tiny bit of noob level TT
MechWarrior 2 (PlayStation)

Never played a MechWarrior 4 title or the Living Legends mod for Crysis. It probably would have been fun though.

#33 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 06 May 2015 - 05:15 AM

View PostAlistair Winter, on 05 May 2015 - 07:25 PM, said:

- let's face it - Battletech miniatures are ugly as sin compared to GW miniatures. And just for the sake of offending absolutely everyone on this forum, I will also say that BT TT players generally don't know how to paint miniatures. I've never seen as many badly painted miniatures as when looking at people's BT TT collections. Come at me, bros.

Actually, can't really argue this. I took a lot of effort into painting mine back in the day (though I would not claim pro level), but most of what I see out there is just BAD:

I will say a handful of minis were well done, overall.....and even though it was often of bad mech designs, those, predictably became favorites of mine. (Assassin being an example)

I would love to 3d print the MWO mechs as TT pieces, and have high hopes to do just that with my own Assassin and Urbanmech and Vulcan designs, thx to some awesome 3d work by guys on these forums.

#34 Divine Retribution

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 648 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 06 May 2015 - 05:19 AM

Never played TT. Got into big stompy robots with the Robotech RPG (and novels and anime), then Rifts. First mech PC games were Crescent Hawk's Inception and Revenge, then MechWarrior 2, then Earthseige 2, and I've played every MW title since.

I honestly wasn't really even aware of the TT game until MW 4, prior to that no one I played with on the Zone ever mentioned TT.

#35 Lostdragon

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,711 posts
  • LocationAlabama

Posted 06 May 2015 - 05:23 AM

I started playing MW2 about 20 years ago when it came out, it was one of the first PC games I played seriously. I've played every other MW game I could get my hands on since then.

I've known about TT for a long time but I live in rural Alabama so it's not like there are a lot of people here interested in it. I would have to drive an hour and a half to a game shop in Pensacola or Montgomery to play.

#36 MeiSooHaityu

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 10,912 posts
  • LocationMI

Posted 06 May 2015 - 05:27 AM

View PostDivine Retribution, on 06 May 2015 - 05:19 AM, said:

Never played TT. Got into big stompy robots with the Robotech RPG (and novels and anime), then Rifts. First mech PC games were Crescent Hawk's Inception and Revenge, then MechWarrior 2, then Earthseige 2, and I've played every MW title since.

I honestly wasn't really even aware of the TT game until MW 4, prior to that no one I played with on the Zone ever mentioned TT.

I played some Earthseige 1, and I also played Battledrome.

Also, there was a cool robot JRPG I used to really like. The Front Mission series. Very good.

Edited by MeiSooHaityu, 06 May 2015 - 05:28 AM.

#37 Shae Starfyre

• The Widow Maker
  • The Widow Maker
  • 1,429 posts
  • LocationThe Fringe

Posted 06 May 2015 - 05:34 AM

O.G.R.E and Carwars began my journey into non-hit-point pool combat oriented games.

I actually never played TT though; was more into Space and Carwars.

Somwhere in the late 80's or early 90's I picked up a computer version of Mechwarrior; least I think it was, and I logged in for the first time (I think I played a total of 3 games) and died to LRM fire.

Then it was Starseige and played that until it went under (I was one of the most reknown Basilisk pilots of the era).

Then it was EvE (while not non-hit-point pool oriented) for 9 years.

When I saw this game being advertsied, I played it the moment it came out of closed beta and have been playing it ever since (no other games since).

So, I have no opinnions of TT rules, or what it SHOULD be; I find it fun, and I am of the disposition that one makes the best of things.

Also, when I first got into playing this, I immediately saw the long term value of spending money akin to how much I would pay playing EvE and I have never had any issues with cbill earnings, lack of Mech Content, or having fun because of it.

So, that's me.

Edited by Aphoticus, 06 May 2015 - 05:37 AM.

#38 Xetelian

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 4,371 posts

Posted 06 May 2015 - 05:41 AM

TT and CCG in the 90s till now MWO.

Out of all of it I'd have to say the way MWO does it probably isn't the best anyone could offer.

However it is the one I've spent the most on :ph34r:

#39 Ursh

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,321 posts
  • LocationMother Russia

Posted 06 May 2015 - 06:31 AM

1992 is when I bought the tabletop basic rules box set and the 3050 TRO.

Played up through high school and a bit in the Army. Haven't played table top in 15 years probably. Never played any of the PC games, MWO is the first one for me.

#40 Water Bear

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 1,137 posts

Posted 06 May 2015 - 06:36 AM

Got my first tech manual as a little kid, same story for my brother. We thought the giant robots are cool. This is back so long ago that my brother's first Tech read out included the unseen.

We then learned about MW2, TT, various other console and PC mechwarrior franchises, the dark age mini game, mega mek, and now this.

We are the intended customers for MWO...

Edit: Oh, and I still have my collection of Battletech cards from the card game released by WoTC. Full set of the Arsenal expansion in my collection, by the way. :3

Edited by Water Bear, 06 May 2015 - 06:37 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users