12 replies to this topic

#1 Lily from animove

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts
  • LocationOn a dropship to Terra

Posted 07 May 2015 - 12:59 PM

The new version is lot space around the mech selection.
The old one shows the mech that we also can turn.

I would suggets to merge both versions to have the mech there and the mech selection:

Posted Image

otherwise the new mech selection will not indicate which mech we have customiszed by design, meaning also another laods of clicks to figure this out by selecting a mech and going to the camo specs.

Edited by Lily from animove, 07 May 2015 - 01:01 PM.

#2 Agatheis

• PipPip
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • 22 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 07 May 2015 - 01:15 PM

This, but I would also like to be able to view it in the old way, to quickly scan through which mechs still have the x2 XP bonus.

A.

#3 Lily from animove

• The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts

Posted 07 May 2015 - 01:20 PM

View PostAgatheis, on 07 May 2015 - 01:15 PM, said:

This, but I would also like to be able to view it in the old way, to quickly scan through which mechs still have the x2 XP bonus.

A.

that would probably be best realised by an extra X2 filter.

Edited by Lily from animove, 07 May 2015 - 01:43 PM.

#4 Appuagab

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 319 posts

Posted 07 May 2015 - 02:14 PM

All these rows of expandable lists are killing me. :^(

#5 Ragtag soldier

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 358 posts

Posted 07 May 2015 - 04:19 PM

i'd think that if they used the old mechlab selection tiles so we can see the 'mech in detail when we click on it, but integrated the filter keys it would be a hell of a lot more streamlined to use. so long as they got rid of the save/cancel buttons on it.

that long list of collapsed trees was a ******* pain to navigate anyhow. i'm playing mechwarrior, not exelwarrior.

#6 Lily from animove

• The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts

Posted 08 May 2015 - 12:40 AM

View PostRagtag soldier, on 07 May 2015 - 04:19 PM, said:

i'd think that if they used the old mechlab selection tiles so we can see the 'mech in detail when we click on it, but integrated the filter keys it would be a hell of a lot more streamlined to use. so long as they got rid of the save/cancel buttons on it.

that long list of collapsed trees was a ******* pain to navigate anyhow. i'm playing mechwarrior, not exelwarrior.

Actually, not really sometimes when youw ant to find your timberwolf, you ahve to scroll down and seek it between the helbringers and thors, because all you hve is the small name and mechsymbol to differ them. But everytime you add a new mech this row is somewhere else.

You scroll around a lot in the old menu, but now you can easily and very targeted go to the mech you want.
For poeple having 100+ mechs, this is truly painful in the old UI.

it would be greta to have a seperated "favourtes" tab where we can store maybe 20 mechs in the old style. This would work, but above a specific amount fo mechs, the old UI is just a totally mess of tons of pictures.

#7 valinor89

• PipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 23 posts
  • LocationBarcelona (Spain)

Posted 08 May 2015 - 01:49 AM

I think that the mech selection page needs some more improvements:
- Would be cool to see if a mech has modules equiped in the list itself as an icon. Maybe even sort mech that have non consumable modules installed.
- A prefered mech list kind of like we had in 1.5.
- An option to have the list expanded by default or not.

#8 TorinZ

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 121 posts

Posted 08 May 2015 - 06:06 AM

I have to agree with Lily here. I don't really mind the new look except I would like to see the option to have it Auto-Expanded. Seeing the thumbnails with all the mechs you own is visually more pleasing than just a list. But I think the addition of a "header" breaking out each chassis can look a little better than the old grid especially when you own a lot of mechs. I would like the option to be able to tag your favorite mechs though and then select a Favorites option from the UI which can just be a grid of the mechs you selected and then maybe those thumbnails show the traits of your actual camo and colors. I don't have a specific number of favorite mechs allowed in mind, as long as it is 8+ when thinking pilots will have 2 CW decks setup.

And we should still be able to see the mech off to the side like Lily showed in the improved screen above. You always want to see the mech, and always should be able to spin it to look it over from anywhere in the UI.

#9 SpiralFace

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 1,151 posts
  • LocationAlshain

Posted 08 May 2015 - 07:21 AM

I would still just rather have the old option with expanded filter options.

I'm sorry, but just looking for mech portraits across a HUGE amount of screen realestate is much easier to shift through then picking out tiny names of mechs off of a single list.

#10 Lily from animove

• The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts

Posted 08 May 2015 - 08:05 AM

View PostSpiralFace, on 08 May 2015 - 07:21 AM, said:

I would still just rather have the old option with expanded filter options.

I'm sorry, but just looking for mech portraits across a HUGE amount of screen realestate is much easier to shift through then picking out tiny names of mechs off of a single list.

tiny names? the font is fairly big. and once you have 70+ mechs the all pictures stuff is just horribly messy and a laod of scroll here scroll there thingy.

The problem with the pics is, you need to read anyways, because the pics are so small and hardly to difer you will not really be able to differ the variants between those pictures instant unless its an hero or champion mech havingan entire different picture.

bets thing would probably even be a textfield filter whee people cna enter:

NVA or Nova and all the mechs will get shown fitting this filter. That would then make it the fastest way than scrolling and clicking.

#11 SpiralFace

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 1,151 posts
  • LocationAlshain

Posted 09 May 2015 - 09:26 AM

View PostLily from animove, on 08 May 2015 - 08:05 AM, said:

tiny names? the font is fairly big. and once you have 70+ mechs the all pictures stuff is just horribly messy and a laod of scroll here scroll there thingy.

Playing at 1920x1200 screen res see's the text come out tiny for me. (Since the UI doesn't scale,) and the new menu system is not dynamic like the old grid system. So where before I could have 42 mechs displayed on the screen at once, the new system forces me into a tiny window that isn't even half of my total screen realestate to where I can only see 3 full chassis at a time with the menu rolled out.

The wall of mechs has never bothered me, even with almost 200 chassis in my own mech bay. Having a filter for chassis is usually enough if I'm looking for something specific, and with further filters, I can do the same without being stuck in "list" vew that appears tiny on my screen when it doesn't even take up a fraction of my screen real estate.

Especially since the mech selection is alphabetical where the old grid system was weight based. For me it was much easier to go through and look at "mechs at a glance" then it is under the new system.

#12 Ragtag soldier

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 358 posts

Posted 10 May 2015 - 10:53 AM

the "Expanding list" selection method is so damn cumbersome and annoything. it only looks better if you're not playing. and you've gotta save your selections? why? i click a 'mech, that's the active 'mech. you put the tilewall back in that "improved" image, maybe a bit narrower for space reasons and save & cancel buttons with a mech details one and you've got something good.

says something of how the devteam plays this game so little they naturally lean towards the least intuative ideas for the UI.

#13 Lily from animove

• The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts

Posted 11 May 2015 - 03:10 AM

View PostSpiralFace, on 09 May 2015 - 09:26 AM, said:

Playing at 1920x1200 screen res see's the text come out tiny for me. (Since the UI doesn't scale,) and the new menu system is not dynamic like the old grid system. So where before I could have 42 mechs displayed on the screen at once, the new system forces me into a tiny window that isn't even half of my total screen realestate to where I can only see 3 full chassis at a time with the menu rolled out.

The wall of mechs has never bothered me, even with almost 200 chassis in my own mech bay. Having a filter for chassis is usually enough if I'm looking for something specific, and with further filters, I can do the same without being stuck in "list" vew that appears tiny on my screen when it doesn't even take up a fraction of my screen real estate.

Especially since the mech selection is alphabetical where the old grid system was weight based. For me it was much easier to go through and look at "mechs at a glance" then it is under the new system.

ok, but scaling is not a thing of the basic design, thats just another topic.

And surely the old feels faster, because you aren't used to it, and roughly know where which mech was. But the new one is by logic faster, especially for newbies since they lern the names of mechs first and not their tonnage. A GUI should cater as much people as possible, and the Scroll orgy of the current system wiht a lot mechs is truly annoying.

Having to save the mech is of course a bit annoying. Yet quite often it happened I dropped in the wrong mech, when I just had a look at another mech and queued up. That mostly happens in groupgames when I can not see the mech while reading up.

Edited by Lily from animove, 11 May 2015 - 03:10 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users