55 replies to this topic

#1 Tennex

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 6,619 posts

Posted 07 May 2015 - 02:49 PM

Posted Image

The new mech selection interface is tedious and requires many clicks both to select the mech you want as well as seeing your collection of mechs. There is also no longer a way to view mech details before purchasing a mech, nor is there a way to view the 3D model of your mech with 1click, because the new system requires 3-4 clicks to view the 3D mech.

1. Old grid system provides a great overview of your mechs, and allows mech lovers to enjoy the full breadth of the mechs they have collected. It is also easier to navigate.

2. Between the blacked out background on mech selection screen, and full detail editing screen. There is no longer a convenient way to view the apperence of your mech with out many many clicks. Home > Mech selection > Click through pull downs > Seelect mech > Back to home to see it. Want to see another mech? rinse repeat.

3. No longer a way to view details of a mech before purchasing it with the new IU, whereas the contextual hover menu in the old grid selection allows detail mech information before purchase.

If it aint broke, don't jagermech it!

As posted by AveDominusNox on reddit:

Edited by Tennex, 11 May 2015 - 01:41 PM.

#2 Tennex

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 6,619 posts

Posted 07 May 2015 - 03:05 PM

With the new UI you have to click and expand on every single chassis you have to be able to access them

#3 Gigastrike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 704 posts

Posted 07 May 2015 - 03:11 PM

The scrolling needs to be better, and the whole thing needs to be wider, but I appreciate the separation between chassis. Sure the old one is easier to navigate, but that's because there isn't anything to be said of organization.

#4 Tennex

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 6,619 posts

Posted 07 May 2015 - 03:28 PM

Theres no longer a good way to see your mech.

In the mech selection screen u cant see it, and in the mech editing screen u cant see it.

#5 Gigastrike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 704 posts

Posted 07 May 2015 - 03:33 PM

You can in both. Selecting the mech causes it to be the one that appears in the home screen, and switching the mech editor from expanded to column allows you to see it in that.

#6 Tennex

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 6,619 posts

Posted 07 May 2015 - 03:36 PM

View PostGigastrike, on 07 May 2015 - 03:33 PM, said:

You can in both. Selecting the mech causes it to be the one that appears in the home screen, and switching the mech editor from expanded to column allows you to see it in that.

more clicks. more clicks

Select mech -> go to homescreen. Go back, select another mech, go to homescreen.

Click edit mech -> click reduce (what is the point of new mechlab feature?) -> go back to mech select -> go back to edit mech to see that mech.

Edited by Tennex, 07 May 2015 - 03:37 PM.

#7 AnimeFreak40K

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Defiant
  • The Defiant
  • 455 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationSomewhere between the State of Confusion and the State of Insanity.

Posted 07 May 2015 - 03:43 PM

Oh thank the gods I am not the only one who prefers the MechBay Grid!!!

To be clear, I REALLY like the interface when configuring mechs and such... but I hate the 'Select Mech' screen. Give me the MechBay Grind any day of the week!

#8 Gigastrike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 704 posts

Posted 07 May 2015 - 03:45 PM

View PostTennex, on 07 May 2015 - 03:36 PM, said:

more clicks. more clicks

Select mech -> go to homescreen. Go back, select another mech, go to homescreen.

That doesn't feel like too much to me. Granted I don't spend all of my time looking at each of my mechs close up in turn.

View PostTennex, on 07 May 2015 - 03:36 PM, said:

Click edit mech -> click reduce (what is the point of new mechlab feature?) -> go back to mech select -> go back to edit mech to see that mech.
The point of column view is so that you can see your mech while you work on it. And if you want to look at each of your mechs rapidfire in the mechbay, it goes faster in this UI anyway.

Edited by Gigastrike, 07 May 2015 - 03:46 PM.

#9 Ragtag soldier

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 358 posts

Posted 07 May 2015 - 03:47 PM

totally agree with OP here, the whole endless expanding folders i have to rifle through like this is windows 95 and then i have to hit a save/cancel button to finalize is entirely too cumbersome and shouldn't have survived this long. i like the top buttons to help narrow down the onscreen choices, but it need to go with the tiled chassis visuals and to just select the 'mech people click on. the actual mechlab is good now (thanks smurfy) but this mech selection screen is still terrible and why i never used the mech choice on the home tab to begin with.

while you're taking out pointless "are you sure" prompts, get rid of one of the prompts from logging off or exiting the program. if we did one, we're sure about the other.

oh and let us actually view and look at the stats on 'mechs in the store again? maybe we want to double check that before we buy them. knowing where the hardpoints are is kind of....important in this game you know.

Edited by Ragtag soldier, 07 May 2015 - 03:49 PM.

#10 Gigastrike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 704 posts

Posted 07 May 2015 - 04:02 PM

The fix is ridiculously easy. Just make the screen bigger, organize by class by default, leave folders open by default, and streamline the prompts. It's literally the same thing as before, but with the ability to organize.

#11 Septi

• Pip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 13 posts

Posted 07 May 2015 - 04:02 PM

Yeah im used to selecting mechs by sight not not by text/names, and also you have to select a mech to be able to see its quirks now.

#12 Leigus

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 112 posts
  • LocationSierra, Free Worlds League

Posted 07 May 2015 - 04:03 PM

For the consideration of those in this thread:

http://mwomercs.com/...mech-selection/

#13 PrometheusTNO

• PipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 43 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 07 May 2015 - 04:28 PM

As you approach 100 mechs, it's definitely NOT easier to navigate the Large Icon view. Smaller list items are better. But the view you want is still in there, sort of...

Use the Sort drop down in the Mech Select screen and choose to sort by Class. You can then expand by Class instead of by mech and scroll all the giant icons to your hearts content...
Posted Image

#14 One of Little Harmony

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 159 posts

Posted 07 May 2015 - 04:39 PM

This view feels claustrophobic.. I wouldn't mind the current mech select if there was an expand all option in the interface.

#15 Jack Shayu Walker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God
  • The God
  • 1,451 posts

Posted 07 May 2015 - 05:10 PM

I agree with you completely, they should at least give us the option to view our mechs in a grid! It shouldn't be too much trouble to allow the option!

#16 process

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Star Colonel II
  • Star Colonel II
  • 1,667 posts

Posted 07 May 2015 - 05:41 PM

Definitely needs a grid view option. Too much clicking to get to mechs.

#17 Lily from animove

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts
  • LocationOn a dropship to Terra

Posted 08 May 2015 - 12:50 AM

View PostPrometheusTNO, on 07 May 2015 - 04:28 PM, said:

As you approach 100 mechs, it's definitely NOT easier to navigate the Large Icon view. Smaller list items are better. But the view you want is still in there, sort of...

Use the Sort drop down in the Mech Select screen and choose to sort by Class. You can then expand by Class instead of by mech and scroll all the giant icons to your hearts content...
Posted Image

This, there is a number of mechs from which the old UI is just going to be horrible to use.
My only solution would be a seperated "favourites" tab that you can link 20 mechs into, keeping the old style.

Edited by Lily from animove, 08 May 2015 - 12:51 AM.

#18 Varvar86

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 441 posts
  • LocationUkraine

Posted 08 May 2015 - 01:03 AM

agree with topic. This "select mech" menu is BAD. Dont like it, to many clicks to many steps need to be done.
Old Ui2.0 - go mechlab - scroll for mech - click for configure - done in 3 clicks.
This one is ............................. bad.

Edited by Varvar86, 08 May 2015 - 01:04 AM.

#19 Lily from animove

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts
  • LocationOn a dropship to Terra

Posted 08 May 2015 - 02:04 AM

View PostVarvar86, on 08 May 2015 - 01:03 AM, said:

agree with topic. This "select mech" menu is BAD. Dont like it, to many clicks to many steps need to be done.
Old Ui2.0 - go mechlab - scroll for mech - click for configure - done in 3 clicks.
This one is ............................. bad.

currently its 3 clicks too, scroll for the chassis, expand, click mech, done. maybe a 3rd click for closing the category again.
So it is clickwise in worst case as much clicks as before.

but the curent list is way shorter while the old one is a hell long thing if you own a lot mechs and then this is going to be a scrollfest

#20 sabujo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 531 posts

Posted 08 May 2015 - 03:33 AM

View PostGigastrike, on 07 May 2015 - 04:02 PM, said:

The fix is ridiculously easy. Just make the screen bigger, organize by class by default, leave folders open by default, and streamline the prompts. It's literally the same thing as before, but with the ability to organize.

• Bigger (fullscreen)
  • Option to expand all and remember that option between sessions

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users