145 replies to this topic

#81 Kotsuno

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 224 posts
  • LocationSydney, Australia

Posted 04 July 2012 - 07:12 AM

Thanks OP! Should definitely be pinned =)

#82 Pogs

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 136 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 07:22 AM

I will hope the the devs will be more responsive than WoT devs who basically don't. I'm glad there will be no 'gold' lasers - this is the most dispiriting things about WoT especially after the last weekend special on gold ammo. Just horrible out there.

I will also hope you can always feel like you can do something in a battle and not just feel like a pesky fly to the steel elephants around you whilst waiting to be nuked from above with no warning. Looking forward to playing this.

Edited by Pogs, 04 July 2012 - 07:24 AM.

#83 Bodha

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 522 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 04 July 2012 - 07:30 AM

View Postgarreth, on 04 July 2012 - 07:10 AM, said:

My only addendum to this, is there are in a way SPG's. Missile boat mechs like the catapult and others, will have indirect fire ability as long as scout mechs or others have the targets painted on radar.

missile boats do not nearly equal arty in WoT. Arty in WoT is across map indirect fire. LRM indirect fire is still fairly short in range if you consider map size. If this was WoT the LRM support would have to be at most 3-4 map squares from you. Thats not like WoT where the arty can basically park in one corner and shoot the entire map at high tier play.

#84 Talenvar

• PipPip
  • 35 posts
  • LocationMy Bathroom

Posted 04 July 2012 - 07:30 AM

Great post ... pin this one please.

#85 Bodha

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 522 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 04 July 2012 - 07:36 AM

View PostPogs, on 04 July 2012 - 07:22 AM, said:

I will hope the the devs will be more responsive than WoT devs who basically don't. I'm glad there will be no 'gold' lasers - this is the most dispiriting things about WoT especially after the last weekend special on gold ammo. Just horrible out there.

I will also hope you can always feel like you can do something in a battle and not just feel like a pesky fly to the steel elephants around you whilst waiting to be nuked from above with no warning. Looking forward to playing this.

Based on previous mechwarrior games and TT I would say the lights in MWO will be like amx 13 90s in a way. Fast, dangerous if not dealt with, but definitely not heavily armored.

Just to give some food for thought. ALL mechs in mechwarrior universe have terrible rear armor. By that I mean ANY mech can tear any other mech up really fast if you get 2-3 targeted salvoes into the rear torso armor. So swarm tactics with a few light mechs can easily kill an assault mech. A well piloted solo scout can easily kill a poorly piloted heavier mech as well. A well piloted heavier mech though will rarely be in a position that allows circling to happen. He will back up to a wall and force the light to either disengage or do a front to front firefight. At that point the light should bug out and just claim a victory by delaying that heavier mech from his objectives.

#86 DoubleEL

• Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 07:43 AM

Hey, I'm just happy there will be no bounces or not damaging penitrating hits (the latter happens around 30% of the time since WoT 7.4 came out).

WG is going to take a hit on the NA server when MWO goes live.

#87 grimzod

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 528 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 04 July 2012 - 07:46 AM

View PostDoubleEL, on 04 July 2012 - 07:43 AM, said:

Hey, I'm just happy there will be no bounces or not damaging penitrating hits (the latter happens around 30% of the time since WoT 7.4 came out).

WG is going to take a hit on the NA server when MWO goes live.

the NA server is only 1.42% of their playerbase - it could disappear and not affect Wot in the least.

View PostBodha, on 04 July 2012 - 07:30 AM, said:

missile boats do not nearly equal arty in WoT. Arty in WoT is across map indirect fire. LRM indirect fire is still fairly short in range if you consider map size. If this was WoT the LRM support would have to be at most 3-4 map squares from you. Thats not like WoT where the arty can basically park in one corner and shoot the entire map at high tier play.

Unless and until they add Arrow 4 missiles. Duck and cover.

#88 Kyoshim

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 202 posts
  • LocationFrance

Posted 04 July 2012 - 07:52 AM

Great post !

Thanks Bodha :P.

#89 Thrael

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 08:15 AM

Hm, i've just noticed this line
"In order to access Elite I, the player needs to not only unlock all upgrades on tiers 1-4 of this model, but they have to do the same for every initial variant."
About what initial variants there is said? I thought that mech variants are different only in terms of weapon layout. And if devs allow full customization then i can have variant that have no any historical analog.
I'm confused.

#90 Pook600

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 204 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, SD

Posted 04 July 2012 - 08:22 AM

What a great post OP!

Kudos to you dude!

#91 Bodha

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 522 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 04 July 2012 - 08:24 AM

View PostThrael, on 04 July 2012 - 08:15 AM, said:

Hm, i've just noticed this line
"In order to access Elite I, the player needs to not only unlock all upgrades on tiers 1-4 of this model, but they have to do the same for every initial variant."
About what initial variants there is said? I thought that mech variants are different only in terms of weapon layout. And if devs allow full customization then i can have variant that have no any historical analog.
I'm confused.

The variants will have different weapon hardpoints. From my understanding variant A may have a missile hardpoint in the center torso and 2 laser harpoints in each arm. variant B might have ballistic harpoints instead of laser hardpoints in the arms. Under the rules that dev statement suggests, you would have to do the unlocks for both of the variants.

The level of customization so far appears to be as follows:
You can swap basic engine to XL or back, upsize and downsize
You can add or remove heatsinks
You can swap the standard internal structure for endo steel
You can go from basic armor to ferro fibrous or back
You can add or remove things like jump jets
You can remove existing weapons
You can replace existing weapons with weapons of the same type (ie laser for laser, missile for missile)
After all the swapping is done though your mech has to weigh the same as before.

#92 Adridos

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 10,635 posts
  • LocationHiding in a cake, left in green city called New A... something.

Posted 04 July 2012 - 08:30 AM

View PostBodha, on 04 July 2012 - 07:36 AM, said:

Based on previous mechwarrior games and TT I would say the lights in MWO will be like amx 13 90s in a way. Fast, dangerous if not dealt with, but definitely not heavily armored.

Well, AMX 13 90 goes down in one hit, light mechs don't. But they are pretty similar, I agree.

#93 Pogs

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 136 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 09:10 AM

Are they tech trees or paths to new equipments and crew skills? Is this info available - if so can someone point me to it - or is it still under NDA?

#94 Bodha

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 522 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 04 July 2012 - 09:13 AM

View PostPogs, on 04 July 2012 - 09:10 AM, said:

Are they tech trees or paths to new equipments and crew skills? Is this info available - if so can someone point me to it - or is it still under NDA?

The closest thing to that is perks unlocked by gaining xp in the chassis. Here is a link to that stuff:
http://mwomercs.com/...le-warfare-cont

#95 Pogs

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 136 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 09:37 AM

View PostBodha, on 04 July 2012 - 09:13 AM, said:

The closest thing to that is perks unlocked by gaining xp in the chassis. Here is a link to that stuff:
http://mwomercs.com/...le-warfare-cont

Thanks

#96 sk1rge

Rookie

• 4 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 10:48 AM

This post sold it to me, MWO elite here I come :rolleyes: Tough to make a choice on the founder mech though...

#97 Fire for Effect

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary Rank 5
  • Mercenary Rank 5
  • 583 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 04 July 2012 - 10:58 AM

most important thing for wot players...

https://linksunten.i.../1090421345.png

#98 shadowhawk102

• PipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 87 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 04 July 2012 - 11:01 AM

good info, having been a long time battle tech player it good to see a game that is more or less true to the original.
i will still play WoT but it will be secondary to this.

#99 Black Sunder

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 452 posts
  • LocationDark Side of the Moon

Posted 04 July 2012 - 11:44 AM

"7. This game does not have TDs or SPGs."

Arn't all our mechs walking SPGs anyway? lol

#100 BinaryDuck

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 191 posts