A small bit of info for those WoT players

145 replies to this topic

#21 ElcomeSoft

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 473 posts
  • LocationNewcastle upon Tyne, England

Posted 03 July 2012 - 06:33 AM

As a World of Tanks veteran (closed beta, open beta, release... as well as running my own WoT Guides website, for which I was recently awarded by Wargaming.net :huh:) and having played MW2/GBL/Mercs/MW3/Expansion/MW4/exansions/Mc/MC2 and watching the Battletech cartoon, this is a very good thread.

Certainly informative and should help anyone who has came from or heard about WoT and is unsure as to the differences between the two.

#22 Icepick

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 153 posts
  • LocationProbably at Work

Posted 03 July 2012 - 06:39 AM

Well done.

Might also mention that pretentious thread topics, followed by uninformed lectures and condescending tones are not effective ways to connect with the community.

(Then link to that other post, you know the one I mean :huh:

PIN IT!

#23 Endust

• PipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 32 posts
  • LocationOntario, Canada

Posted 03 July 2012 - 06:41 AM

Great read!

#24 Endrass

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 03 July 2012 - 06:43 AM

Great read, should def be pinned. Coming from WOT and being a long time MW fan, I know just due to the differences between tank mechanics and mech mechanics, not to mention the play style, the games will be almost entirely different animals.

#25 Odweaver

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 136 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 06:46 AM

Post should be pinned and in bold letters, I see at least 3 threads on these questions a day

#26 Adridos

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 10,635 posts
  • LocationHiding in a cake, left in green city called New A... something.

Posted 03 July 2012 - 06:47 AM

Great post.

You just missed the part that you can start in any class you want, so no "urbie grind" happening. :huh:

Edited by Adridos, 03 July 2012 - 08:14 AM.

#27 Tenrai

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 124 posts
  • LocationDeep in Davion controlled space aboard the Overlord class dropship Nobara

Posted 03 July 2012 - 06:50 AM

Pin this! Wall spoken and well put!

#28 Bodha

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 522 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 03 July 2012 - 06:51 AM

View PostAdridos, on 03 July 2012 - 06:47 AM, said:

Great posted.

You just missed the part that you can start in any class you want, so no "urbie grind" happening. :huh:

I wasn't sure what mech a complete new guy starts with so didnt want to comment on that. If you have some info on that please share ^_^

#29 Jalen

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 181 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationChicago, IL

Posted 03 July 2012 - 06:56 AM

Outstanding post. Great job.

If only we could get a screen to pop-up when you make your profile that says, "Have you played World of Tanks before?" If yes, this post pops up in their faces and stays on their screen for a mandatory ten minutes, followed by two dialog prompts that say "Do you understand this?" and "No, really. Do you -really- understand this?"

Bravo.

#30 Elizander

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,540 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 03 July 2012 - 06:57 AM

Now everyone remember the URL to this thread so you can post it in new threads instead of eating the newbies alive. :huh:

#31 Traven Lockwell

• PipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 44 posts
  • LocationMontreal, Quebec

Posted 03 July 2012 - 07:00 AM

Good post, however you seem to have a few misconceptions about WoT. Though from your post it seems you have played WoT, so perhaps it is merely a choice of words.

6. Scout mechs will have a big impact on this game if the devs pull it off right. The idea is the scout mechs will keep the enemy lit for the support mechs to shoot at them with indirect fire from LRM launchers etc.

This seems to say that WoT's scout tanks are useless. They are not. Much like Light Mechs in MW:O you need to play a very specific play style to be successful. Barging in headlong into an enemy will obviously get you killed. You need to use cover to your advantage, and perhaps even hide somewhere acting as a static spotter.

8. One shotting an enemy is far less likely in this game. Should still be possible in the right circumstances and with a great deal of luck/skill, but not a hey I see that happen 2-3 times per match kind of thing.

Taking into account that WoT usually deals with a single cannon, you can therefore compare a single Tank shot with an Alpha Strike. In this case, you can easily imagine an Alpha Strike one shotting a light mech. However, the fundamental armor and module mechanics are quite different for WoT and MW: O.

#32 CrazyHammer

Rookie

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 07:02 AM

Thank you for the overview. It has answered some questions I had. The only reason I knew about MWO was because of a posting in my Clans WoT forums. So, I checked it out.

I've been waiting for a MWO based online game for years. I'm glad it's almost here.

I hope it will have the same camera functionality - following camera vs. 1st person. We'll see.

Thanks again,
CrazyHammer

Edited by CrazyHammer, 03 July 2012 - 07:02 AM.

#33 Sukhoi30

Rookie

• 1 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 07:06 AM

Like most of the people here, I'm a huge fan of the Mechwarrior universe. I've played Mechwarrior I, II and III on computer and also spending hundreds of euros to buy booster for the tabletop game.
One day I saw a teaser (yeah the one you know) without more explanation than : there will be a new Mechwarrior on computer...
Many time later I heard about Mechwarrior Online ! Youhou they finally made it ! But during the time you developed MWO something totally new comes out in Europe, it came for Russia, and it was so cool, and fun to play. When the WoT closed Beta comes out, I received my key in less than 24h. I know nothing about this game but I've been invited immediately. Since, WoT become my favorite game and I spend a lot of money to keep my premium account and/or buy some premium tanks.

Now I'm "Pending" for MWO beta since more than a month, I'm ready to buy a founder pack, but no beta access = no money.
It's even more raging, because it's look like WoT but in a universe I realy like and we are a lot waiting for that for a very long time.
Sorry but I've invested a lot of time and a lot of money in WoT, if I can't tryout MWO I won't leave WoT.

#34 Bodha

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 522 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 03 July 2012 - 07:06 AM

View PostTraven Lockwell, on 03 July 2012 - 07:00 AM, said:

Good post, however you seem to have a few misconceptions about WoT. Though from your post it seems you have played WoT, so perhaps it is merely a choice of words.

This seems to say that WoT's scout tanks are useless. They are not. Much like Light Mechs in MW:O you need to play a very specific play style to be successful. Barging in headlong into an enemy will obviously get you killed. You need to use cover to your advantage, and perhaps even hide somewhere acting as a static spotter.

Taking into account that WoT usually deals with a single cannon, you can therefore compare a single Tank shot with an Alpha Strike. In this case, you can easily imagine an Alpha Strike one shotting a light mech. However, the fundamental armor and module mechanics are quite different for WoT and MW: O.

Oh I think scout tanks are useful in WoT but the degree of usefulness is worlds apart. and if you are curious u can look me up there. name over there is bodha as well (just saying so you can see I do know something about that game).

As for the one shot comparison you make good point. Again though one shots or alpha strikes that single salvo someone out of the match will be unlikely to happen multiple times per match. Under TT rules it could happen yes, but apparently the dev's have gone the route of doubling the armor, so should happen a lot less. that said I won't be surprised to see a lot of poorly piloted scout mechs get crippled early in matches by running straight at a big brawler.

And I will be interested to see if static spotting is a successful tactic in this game.

#35 Schtirlitz

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 721 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 07:07 AM

Great job!

#36 Bodha

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 522 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 03 July 2012 - 07:09 AM

View PostCrazyHammer, on 03 July 2012 - 07:02 AM, said:

Thank you for the overview. It has answered some questions I had. The only reason I knew about MWO was because of a posting in my Clans WoT forums. So, I checked it out.

I've been waiting for a MWO based online game for years. I'm glad it's almost here.

I hope it will have the same camera functionality - following camera vs. 1st person. We'll see.

Thanks again,
CrazyHammer

there are a few dev made gameplay videos out there. I would recommend you check youtube. here is a link to the dev's youtube videos

http://www.youtube.c...chwarrioronline

#37 VK4502B

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 176 posts
  • LocationThe Netherlands

Posted 03 July 2012 - 07:19 AM

No bounces on the rear/sides of Mechs.
Posted Image
It's one of the reasons I quit WoT.

#38 SGT_Stubby

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 105 posts
  • LocationWashington State

Posted 03 July 2012 - 07:21 AM

View PostCrazyHammer, on 03 July 2012 - 07:02 AM, said:

Thanks again,
CrazyHammer

As far as the camera functionality, it will be restricted to 1st person if I remember right.

#39 Vasces Diablo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 875 posts
  • LocationOmaha,NE

Posted 03 July 2012 - 07:22 AM

"This game does not have TDs and SPGs"

Sure it does. They're called Hunchbacks and Cataputls. :)

#40 Outrider01

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 07:25 AM

Only difference between WoT and Battletech is the fact that there is like a 1% chance to one shot a mech. So, no lacking skill 200+ high pen 400+ dmg guns ripping through 70-100mm of armor to destroy 450-650 hitpoints, you actually have to aim for the Mech instead of just aiming anywhere and shooting through the entire frontal of armor that is infact a weakpoint (Massive weakness on the Sherman, KV, PzIV, T-34...armor so thin they wouldn't stand a chance to a 105, 122, 130mm high velocity round)

Edited by Outrider01, 03 July 2012 - 07:26 AM.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users