A small bit of info for those WoT players

145 replies to this topic

#41 SuperTechmarine

• PipPip
  • Survivor
  • 22 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 07:29 AM

MWO is just so much better than WoT
WoT is bugged like hell, incompetent devs, community mistreatment, russian bias.
it has good potential but its in the wrong hands.

#42 grimzod

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 528 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 03 July 2012 - 07:33 AM

View PostBodha, on 03 July 2012 - 05:46 AM, said:

Hi. This post is meant to give you a basic grasp of key differences between these games so you can make a better decision about playing this or whether you really need to ask that question.

1. Mechwarrior Online is based upon a tabletop game called battletech.

2. Mechs weigh 20-100 tons. This is broken into four categories. Light (20-35), Medium (40-55), Heavy (60-75), and Assault (80-100).

3. Damage is determined by hit location. Each location has armor hp and internal hp. Once you get through the armor for lets say the left leg you start hitting internal structure. When there is no more internal structure that location is destroyed (leg falls off in this case). Along the way you tend to do a lot of crits to locations that are taking internal structure damage.

4. There is no bouncing in this game. A gun on a light mech does the same damage to an assault as that gun would do if it was mounted on an assault mech. The key thing is the assault mech has more guns and armor.

5. Heavier the mech the more it carries in guns and armor, but also the more engine power it takes to go the same speed. Also heavier mechs are bigger. Basically small nimble scouts, vs big slow juggernauts. Get the picture?

6. Scout mechs will have a big impact on this game if the devs pull it off right. The idea is the scout mechs will keep the enemy lit for the support mechs to shoot at them with indirect fire from LRM launchers etc.

7. This game does not have TDs or SPGs.

8. One shotting an enemy is far less likely in this game. Should still be possible in the right circumstances and with a great deal of luck/skill, but not a hey I see that happen 2-3 times per match kind of thing.

9. Mechs can be modified by the pilot to get different performance outside the same vehicle. basically you can swap around the weapon loadouts, add/remove armor, put in bigger or small engines. There is a ruleset behind this so not everything is possible, but the degree of variety should mean that after the game has been out for a short amount of time the variety in mechs should be fairly high.

10. Won't everyone just get the biggest mechs? Short answer is no. Long answer is bigger mechs are basically big fat targets. Basically assault mechs would be like T95s without the bounces, just a lot more hp. You see them coming, you attack them from the flanks or from distance with smaller more nimble mechs. Light mechs would be vk 2801s but their gun now has infinite penetration (no bouncing). Probably most people will settle into the medium and heavy categories of mechs as they will balance firepower and speed better.

11. Will there be gold rounds? No. this game is f2p, and yes you can pay for things, but paying does not equal winning or having a significant combat advantage. The understanding I've gotten from reading the forums is you will be able to spend real money to basically buy mechs, and a premium mode.

12. Will driving a certain mech for a long time benefit you? Yes. The pilots apparently gain xp in specific mechs which will unlock perks for that mech. That said, the more experienced pilots will not get a massive advantage over the nub. If they are beating you a lot its b/c they know the maps, mechs, and general tactics for this game better.

13. What about premium mechs? There will be premium mechs. They will not have any weaker or stronger performance than the standard mechs for that tonnage. They will simply have a boosted credit earning potential. Basically this would be like if you can earn a tiger 2 or buy a premium tiger 2. Both will play the same, just after the battle the premium guy will get more money for his efforts.

14. Will there be a lot of grinding to get to the mech I really want? Courts still out on this. However you should realize that when you get a new mech it will be practically the same as the same mech owned by a guy who has 500 matches in it. He will however have unlocked a bunch of perks for it while you will have to grind to get those unlocked. But again that isn't night and day like WoT stock tanks vs fully unlocked. We're talking 10% more heat dissipation or longer radar ranges not popgun vs. doom cannons.

15. Should I play this game? Yes. You should. Will you like it more or less than WoT? I don't know. You won't know either until you try it. So how about keep an eye on this game, wait until open beta and then give it a spin. Odds are you will like this game and its f2p so dipping your toe in won't cost you anything but a little time. And if you don't like it WoT will still be there for you. I promise.

Final comment for this post. This is not WoT nor should it be. They are both different and yet fill the same niche market. Having both around should be a good thing. I think there is room in the market for both games AND I think having both games around will force both sets of devs to keep working at their respective titles to make them better games for us gamer folk. In the end games are meant to be fun and I hope you find something you are having fun at. If you aren't having fun then please don't settle for something. FIND something better. Not every game is for every gamer.

Link to dev's youtube video's
http://www.youtube.c...chwarrioronline

on 4: no bouncing but you can miss, its all twitch aiming. and rest assured they'll learn weakspots (hips legs and head) like champs (the wot transferees).

on 7: artillery strikes and airstrikes are in the game look at the commanders tree.

on 8: head and hipshotting will be hilarious. If your aim is good the game is over for you, head gone in 60 seconds or less enjoy th erespawn.

on 11: we have no idea yet if they'll introduce 'gold rounds'. Anyone for acid or AP ammo?

Stop getting your underwear in a wad about wot. Sheesh.

View PostSuperTechmarine, on 03 July 2012 - 07:29 AM, said:

MWO is just so much better than WoT
WoT is bugged like hell, incompetent devs, community mistreatment, russian bias.
it has good potential but its in the wrong hands.

Seriously? Its not even out of beta. Have you even played it?

#43 Bluey

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 948 posts
  • LocationAnatolia

Posted 03 July 2012 - 07:33 AM

Dear mechwarriors, battle brothers

please stand to honor your flag

Posted Image

"MWO is superiour, WoT is inferior"

#44 SuperTechmarine

• PipPip
  • Survivor
  • 22 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 07:36 AM

View PostAdridos, on 03 July 2012 - 06:47 AM, said:

Great posted.

You just missed the part that you can start in any class you want, so no "urbie grind" happening. :)

God, i hate grinding.

#45 grimzod

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 528 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 03 July 2012 - 07:37 AM

View PostBodha, on 03 July 2012 - 07:06 AM, said:

Oh I think scout tanks are useful in WoT but the degree of usefulness is worlds apart. and if you are curious u can look me up there. name over there is bodha as well (just saying so you can see I do know something about that game).

As for the one shot comparison you make good point. Again though one shots or alpha strikes that single salvo someone out of the match will be unlikely to happen multiple times per match. Under TT rules it could happen yes, but apparently the dev's have gone the route of doubling the armor, so should happen a lot less. that said I won't be surprised to see a lot of poorly piloted scout mechs get crippled early in matches by running straight at a big brawler.

And I will be interested to see if static spotting is a successful tactic in this game.

This assumes they have NOT implemented or will never implement through armor criticals. With a TAC you can die instantly as well, 2 point gyroscope hit anyone?

View PostBluey, on 03 July 2012 - 07:33 AM, said:

Posted Image

perspective is off a bit on this pic. Mechs are thirteen meters tall. This mech looks to be 60 meters tall. The picture is a lie.

I suspect one reason theyll never introduce vehicles in the game (maybe) is that a Demolisher can waste a mech as easily as an Atlas. And that way they dont have to hear the mech babies crying all day about being ganked by a tank.

Edited by grimzod, 03 July 2012 - 07:39 AM.

#46 SuperTechmarine

• PipPip
  • Survivor
  • 22 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 07:39 AM

Posted Image

:) Frikking awesome, still rofling!

View Postgrimzod, on 03 July 2012 - 07:33 AM, said:

on 4: no bouncing but you can miss, its all twitch aiming. and rest assured they'll learn weakspots (hips legs and head) like champs (the wot transferees).

on 7: artillery strikes and airstrikes are in the game look at the commanders tree.

on 8: head and hipshotting will be hilarious. If your aim is good the game is over for you, head gone in 60 seconds or less enjoy th erespawn.

on 11: we have no idea yet if they'll introduce 'gold rounds'. Anyone for acid or AP ammo?

Stop getting your underwear in a wad about wot. Sheesh.

Seriously? Its not even out of beta. Have you even played it?

Did play WoT.Currently grinding XP for the T29.
I played the old Mechwarriors(1-4)
But MWO, not yet.
Oi, and can someone explain to me the Armour Hp?

Edited by SuperTechmarine, 03 July 2012 - 07:41 AM.

#47 Endrass

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 03 July 2012 - 07:41 AM

Posted Image

I Lol'd... Seriously though, I grew to despise WOT. The coding in that game is some of the worst I've ever seen being that It's bugged like crazy, terribly imbalanced, russian tech tree bias, flawed physics.. Oh and the devs almost refuse to listen to the playerbase on issues. It's all about the money for them honestly.

Edited by endrass, 03 July 2012 - 07:44 AM.

#48 JCoyote

• PipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • 74 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 07:45 AM

View PostCzechu NS, on 03 July 2012 - 06:29 AM, said:

Players will be gaining xp for the current variant they're piloting. For example: You will need to reach Elite I tier on all Catapult's variants (primary variant, variant a, variant b etc.) to unlock higher efficiencies tiers. After reaching Elite II tier you can congratulate yourself because you have mastered the Catapult chassis (all his variants).
http://mwomercs.com/...e-warfare-cont/ - to bad the pictures are not showing up...

EDIT: Keep in mind that this was posted few months ago, so some game mechanics may be changed now or later, or will not be changed at all.

From what I have seen you have the Chassie XP as you listed. WHich with engough XP you can unlock think like improved Heat Distribution, better radar, etc.. Things that are Unique to a chassie. Also there is XP that you can use only on that chassie you earned it in, but a small % to general xp pool which can be used for any chassie.. (Kinda like in WOT for increasing a vehical. But in this case it's small perks on the chassie, and not a grind to get to the next model.

Also I believe there will be Pilot XP that can be used to unlock modules. Modules can be used in any chassie as long as you have unlocked them and bought them. Example being Normal zoom might be like x2.. with a Advanced Zoom module from the scout tree(?) You get better Zoom and maybe a PIP zoom.. Also my guess is some chassie might sport more modules of a certian type. A Raven I wuld think might sport more Scout. A Cyclops more Command. Thats a wild guess by me however. They have said the 3 module trees are Scout, Command, Assult/Def

#49 Jiri Starrider

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 308 posts
  • LocationCalafia, Caid (San Diego, CA)

Posted 03 July 2012 - 07:51 AM

Figured this would end up a haven for the Russian bias crybabies. Hoped it wouldn't, will have to see if they can get the f over it or end up on ignore.

Anywho, ON TOPIC, Awesome post OP, nice and in one spot. Ya ya ya it's another WoT thread, but, it's in one spot and like WoT or not there will be a large number of players crossing over or back and forth.

You should get yourself a MWO Wiki account and post that as an article on it (them). Saying that from a "professional" viewpoint. :) (Hey, I am the lead WoT Wiki editor - that counts as professional right?)

#50 Urbancat

• PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 07:55 AM

Nice post!
Thank you for writing it, i would say should be pinned and linked , it answers a lot of questions in a nice way.

#51 Cyberman

Rookie

• 3 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 07:56 AM

At first, nice Post Bodha, you got it on point.

The biggest problems of WoT are the bugs you can find there since 3 patches.
Everytime you get new tanks or maps, but the bugs getting ignored by the devs.

So, when someone want´s to make a good game, the small things are also important than the big ones.

For now, I don´t worry about MWO, its Beta actually and there is still a lot of work to do i think.
You always have small bugs or other things, but when you ignore it like the devs from WoT, the game is going down in a while

#52 Bluey

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 948 posts
  • LocationAnatolia

Posted 03 July 2012 - 07:57 AM

View Postgrimzod, on 03 July 2012 - 07:37 AM, said:

perspective is off a bit on this pic. Mechs are thirteen meters tall. This mech looks to be 60 meters tall. The picture is a lie.

I suspect one reason theyll never introduce vehicles in the game (maybe) is that a Demolisher can waste a mech as easily as an Atlas. And that way they dont have to hear the mech babies crying all day about being ganked by a tank.

http://desmond.image...jpg&res=landing

Hellstar just 1 meter shorter than Atlas
And tank used in that picture a real ww2 tank got destroyed *taken from archives*
Tank was standing almost a meter tall put 17 of them you will see sizes are same

Yea I know nerd much

#53 grimzod

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 528 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 03 July 2012 - 07:57 AM

View Postendrass, on 03 July 2012 - 07:41 AM, said:

I Lol'd... Seriously though, I grew to despise WOT. The coding in that game is some of the worst I've ever seen being that It's bugged like crazy, terribly imbalanced, russian tech tree bias, flawed physics.. Oh and the devs almost refuse to listen to the playerbase on issues. It's all about the money for them honestly.

The North American server is only 1.42% of their playerbase. Lots of Americans and Canadians get butt hurt because they aren't the primary focus of the game.

#54 HANGMAN1962

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 277 posts
  • Locationnew hampshire usa

Posted 03 July 2012 - 07:59 AM

kudo's to op and well said m8!!!

#55 grimzod

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 528 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 03 July 2012 - 08:00 AM

View PostBluey, on 03 July 2012 - 07:57 AM, said:

http://desmond.image...jpg&res=landing

Hellstar just 1 meter shorter than Atlas
And tank used in that picture a real ww2 tank got destroyed *taken from archives*
Tank was standing almost a meter tall put 17 of them you will see sizes are same

Yea I know nerd much

Way out of perspective. Keep dreaming. You'd have to put a tankette under there for it to look that small. Even the UE 57 would look bigger.

Edited by grimzod, 03 July 2012 - 08:01 AM.

#56 Traven Lockwell

• PipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 44 posts
  • LocationMontreal, Quebec

Posted 03 July 2012 - 08:01 AM

View PostJiri Starrider, on 03 July 2012 - 07:51 AM, said:

Figured this would end up a haven for the Russian bias crybabies. Hoped it wouldn't, will have to see if they can get the f over it or end up on ignore.

Anywho, ON TOPIC, Awesome post OP, nice and in one spot. Ya ya ya it's another WoT thread, but, it's in one spot and like WoT or not there will be a large number of players crossing over or back and forth.

You should get yourself a MWO Wiki account and post that as an article on it (them). Saying that from a "professional" viewpoint. :) (Hey, I am the lead WoT Wiki editor - that counts as professional right?)

Yeah, Russian medium tanks used to be the top of the food chain, however that quickly changed shortly after beta. I remember when the T-43 dominated the battlefields in beta. Nowadays, Russian mediums are much more in line with the other nation's counterparts. The thing about WoT is that each tank is so different that if you don't know what you're up against, you're not going to do well. I get a lot of "That tank is OP", when in reality that guy has no idea what the tank's weak points are.

#57 Endrass

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 03 July 2012 - 08:03 AM

View Postgrimzod, on 03 July 2012 - 07:57 AM, said:

The North American server is only 1.42% of their playerbase. Lots of Americans and Canadians get butt hurt because they aren't the primary focus of the game.

How does that have anything to do with it? We're players, our feedback should be taken into account. Regardless of where you're from, if you make a game set out to be competitive and fun for all, it should be balanced and fair, not biased towards the faction of the makers country.

Edited by endrass, 03 July 2012 - 08:08 AM.

#58 Bodha

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 522 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 03 July 2012 - 08:13 AM

View PostSuperTechmarine, on 03 July 2012 - 07:39 AM, said:

:) Frikking awesome, still rofling!

Did play WoT.Currently grinding XP for the T29.
I played the old Mechwarriors(1-4)
But MWO, not yet.
Oi, and can someone explain to me the Armour Hp?

in mechwarrior the hit tables are:

head
center torso
left torso
right torso
right arm
left arm
right leg
left leg

each location has a set amount of armor points. Once those are used up damage goes to the internal structure. Internal structure isnt armor though. Anytime internal structure is hit you also have a high likelihood of critical damage. critical damage can be stuff like destroying a weapon, blowing up some ammo, destroying a joint (actuator). Once destroyed its gone, no repairs during matches. So when you have one big gun on your mech people will aim for that location and try to take it out. Case in point the hunchback has a big gun in one of the torso locations. A lot of players will aim there and try to destroy it early.

Oh and just a small fact to keep in mind. Every mech of a certain tonnage will have the same amount of internal structure, but not necessarily the same amount of armor. So one 50 ton mech may be squishier than the next one.

View Postgrimzod, on 03 July 2012 - 07:57 AM, said:

you are right some do. However that doesnt change the observation that the coding in WoT could use some work. Last few patches people have been experiencing a lot more bugs and crashes to desktop. I dont think those issues care about which country you are in.

#59 Bluey

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 948 posts
  • LocationAnatolia

Posted 03 July 2012 - 08:15 AM

View Postgrimzod, on 03 July 2012 - 08:00 AM, said:

Way out of perspective. Keep dreaming. You'd have to put a tankette under there for it to look that small. Even the UE 57 would look bigger.

Fine what ever I guess meaning "squashed" doesnt ring any bells

#60 MuffinTop

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,089 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationNext door to nobody.

Posted 03 July 2012 - 08:17 AM

Welcome all WOT refugees to MWO. Plese read, and tell all your turreted and tracked brothers and sisters about this thread,when arriving to the innersphere.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users