A small bit of info for those WoT players

145 replies to this topic

#101 Covet

• PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 12:46 PM

The devs have never stated that there wouldn't be a 'gold ammo' available in the game. Unless I missed the dev blog where it was stated. What I heard was "This game is skill based and you won't be able to buy power".

That doens't mean there won't be a purchasable consumable. Unless devs state. "There will be no puchasable consumable with real money" I believe there will be some form of puchasable consumable. Either way I'll obviously be playing this.

#102 Reoh

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 959 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 01:32 PM

Hey OP, great post but a mistake (posisbly two).
  • You can blow an arm off a 'Mech, but not a leg. It just becomes dysfunctional but you can limp along with it at reduced speed (destroying both KO's the mech).
  • I'm pretty sure you can only add\remove Jumpjets on 'Mechs that have them as a baseline in the chasis variant, but I could be wrong on this.

#103 Bodha

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 522 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 04 July 2012 - 01:35 PM

View PostReoh, on 04 July 2012 - 01:32 PM, said:

Hey OP, great post but a mistake (posisbly two).
  • You can blow an arm off a 'Mech, but not a leg. It just becomes dysfunctional but you can limp along with it at reduced speed (destroying both KO's the mech).
  • I'm pretty sure you can only add\remove Jumpjets on 'Mechs that have them as a baseline in the chasis variant, but I could be wrong on this.

editing to correct.

#104 RedHellion

• PipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 40 posts
  • LocationVancouver, Canada

Posted 04 July 2012 - 01:49 PM

View PostCovet, on 04 July 2012 - 12:46 PM, said:

The devs have never stated that there wouldn't be a 'gold ammo' available in the game. Unless I missed the dev blog where it was stated. What I heard was "This game is skill based and you won't be able to buy power".

Buying 'gold ammo' is equivalent to buying power. It gives you an advantage that other players who don't buy it can't match on a weapon-for-weapon basis. If this ammo increases damage, accuracy, or crit-seeking capabilities of the weapon it is associated with, then if you (with this ammo) were matched one-on-one against an identical 'mech with a pilot of identical skill, you would have a higher probability of winning.

Now, they might have special munitions available for weapons on the standard market for C-Bills and not just "cash-for-credits" in-game currency. In that case, it wouldn't be 'gold ammo': it would just be another ammo type available for that weapon.
Other consumables will probably be available from the Battletech universe as well, however unless they are fluff items ('mech paint jobs, cockpit decorations, etc.) I believe (or at least sincerely hope) that they would be universally available to pilots regardless of whether they buy it with real money or with C-Bills.

Edited by RedHellion, 04 July 2012 - 01:52 PM.

#105 Bodha

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 522 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 04 July 2012 - 01:55 PM

View PostRedHellion, on 04 July 2012 - 01:49 PM, said:

Buying 'gold ammo' is equivalent to buying power. It gives you an advantage that other players who don't buy it can't match on a weapon-for-weapon basis. If this ammo increases damage, accuracy, or crit-seeking capabilities of the weapon it is associated with, then if you (with this ammo) were matched one-on-one against an identical 'mech with a pilot of identical skill, you would have a higher probability of winning.

Now, they might have special munitions available for weapons on the standard market for C-Bills and not just "cash-for-credits" in-game currency. In that case, it wouldn't be 'gold ammo': it would just be another ammo type available for that weapon.
Other consumables will probably be available from the Battletech universe as well, however unless they are fluff items ('mech paint jobs, cockpit decorations, etc.) I believe (or at least sincerely hope) that they would be universally available to pilots regardless of whether they buy it with real money or with C-Bills.

I can easily see other basic ammo types coming into play like the inferno rounds, but this is not pay to win if implemented in the manner of the TT rules. Sure you can have rounds that drive up heat, but dont do real damage... or you can have rounds that lay minefields (I dont see them doing this though due to targeting a location being a programming issue for missiles).

#106 RedHellion

• PipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 40 posts
  • LocationVancouver, Canada

Posted 04 July 2012 - 02:46 PM

Neither Inferno Rounds nor Thunder LRMs change damage, accuracy, or crit-seeking capability. They just modify the type of damage or weapon projectile.

I was specifically referring to such ammo as Acid Rounds, Precision Rounds, AP Rounds, and Swarm LRMs. I won't be as worried about them being only available for real cash though if their downsides are implemented as well (half damage to standard armour, less ammo per ton, considerably lower accuracy, and lower per-missile damage respectively). I really would like to see such ammo types (or at least some of them) available for purchase by C-Bills though.

Edited by RedHellion, 04 July 2012 - 02:47 PM.

#107 Buck Rogers

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 230 posts
  • LocationMica Majority

Posted 04 July 2012 - 03:05 PM

Great thread. I really enjoy WoT, but it does have titanic flaws and game busting 'features' that I don't think MWO will suffer from.

#108 Col Onoscopy

• PipPip
  • 41 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 04 July 2012 - 03:17 PM

When you disable both legs, I am pretty sure I read that you can still fight you just cant move. If that is what you mean by KO then OK. :)

#109 Kodan

• PipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 22 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 03:29 PM

Hopefully they make some naming rules so I wont have to see a name like the guy that posted above me... Who wants to see that kind of name and what 42 year old names themselves after a rear inspection?!?!

#110 Shootu

• PipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 06:58 PM

Well done Bodha! A very informative post!

Thanks!

#111 Covet

• PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 09:08 PM

I wouldn't mind at all if there was no gold ammo. But dev's can have a different opinion of what 'buying power' is. Bottom line is, they said this one time, without going into depth on it.

I'm just saying with how coy the devs are being in giving us information regarding finances this close to Aug 7th, don't be surprised if there are real money only purchasable consumables.

#112 Bodha

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 522 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 04 July 2012 - 09:18 PM

View PostCovet, on 04 July 2012 - 09:08 PM, said:

I wouldn't mind at all if there was no gold ammo. But dev's can have a different opinion of what 'buying power' is. Bottom line is, they said this one time, without going into depth on it.

I'm just saying with how coy the devs are being in giving us information regarding finances this close to Aug 7th, don't be surprised if there are real money only purchasable consumables.

I think they are going to stick to pay to convert RL $$ to C-bills, and probably toss in a bunch of non combat things you can buy like more camo patterns, unit insignias, and other cosmetic things. I also wouldn't be surprised if there is a $$ method to reset your pilot's xp or to free up xp to apply to other chassis. I think they will stick to the idea of not having pay to win, but as with all things it could change if the financial backbone of the service is in danger. However I think MWO will easily avoid that issue by simply keeping the mech releases flowing and having some methods to encourage spending real $$ to get yourself a leg up in the new mech tree.

#113 Wildcat

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,265 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 05 July 2012 - 02:12 AM

View PostBodha, on 04 July 2012 - 06:55 AM, said:

I dont see WG making a mech based game. They already committed to world of warplanes and talked up world of warships.

WoWP, and World of Tanks are under Different Management Teams, and im sure WoBS will be under a Different Management Team as well, there is nothing to stop them from coming up with another title in the Future, they may be content with what they have for now but im sure at some point they will work on a Mech Based game in the Future

View PostCovet, on 04 July 2012 - 12:46 PM, said:

That doens't mean there won't be a purchasable consumable. Unless devs state. "There will be no puchasable consumable with real money" I believe there will be some form of puchasable consumable. Either way I'll obviously be playing this.

Russ has Specifically said there will be no Gold Ammo or Stat Driven Mechs or Weapons for real $$$, they do not want MWO to be a game to Pay to be Awesome, MWO will however have options to Pay to Look Awesome!! Russ has said this on a Interview on Youtube, I cannot remember which one but he went into Detail what he and the Team want MWO to be and Pay to be Awesome is NOT one of them

(edited, Multi Quote tends to screw up and mixes everything up rofl...)

Edited by Wildcat, 05 July 2012 - 02:14 AM.

#114 Schtirlitz

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 721 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 02:42 AM

And that is what i already like about MWO.
Hope this will last long after start :P

#115 Bodha

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 522 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 05 July 2012 - 02:35 PM

View PostWildcat, on 05 July 2012 - 02:12 AM, said:

WoWP, and World of Tanks are under Different Management Teams, and im sure WoBS will be under a Different Management Team as well, there is nothing to stop them from coming up with another title in the Future, they may be content with what they have for now but im sure at some point they will work on a Mech Based game in the Future

They still have the issue of financing. Most game developers have to get someone to finance their projects. Problem for wargaming is financiers are going to want to know that anything they are working on has a good chance of success and they will want proven development team members on the new projects. Right now I think wargaming has stretched their original WoT development group pretty far over the new games they are developing AND continuing development of the WoT stuff. Seems highly unlikely they will start another project until they at least get World of Warplanes into an open beta status. By then MWO should be fairly well established and Wargaming will then have to make a difficult case of a late entry into mecha style combat to any financiers. Not saying they won't eventually do it, but I would be extremely surprised if they did that inside the next 12-24 months.

#116 Whaler

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 84 posts
  • LocationOklahoma

Posted 05 July 2012 - 02:44 PM

Great post!

#117 Apachi69

• PipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 43 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 03:09 PM

Very good comparison..

#118 Skadi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,268 posts
  • LocationUtgarde Pinnacle

Posted 05 July 2012 - 03:14 PM

wait so these mechs ive been seeing ARNT secretly WoT tanks with different skins?
MIND BLOWING

#119 Virage

• PipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 21 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 03:16 PM

I'm a huge Battletech and MMO fan. When WoT first came out I was really intrigued and played beta and about a month or two after release. I spent some real money on a prem account, never on tanks or ammo, and when I quit and came back again I just bought one more month of premium.

WoT is a great comparison for MWO because of "numerous things mentioned all over the forums" so thank you OP for not sounding incredibly biased or ending the post with "MWO/WoT sux0rs roflololololwtfbbq."

I've already bought the Legendary pack purely for the brand. Am I foolish for spending that kind of cash on a game still in dev without even getting to see what the beta is like? Lots of people would say yes and lots of Battletech fans would high five me. But I'm putting my trust in this and hoping it will be a game I'll play a long time. Battletech is something I've always enjoyed as a kid, teenager and adult. It's just a shame it took this long to get a project this big rolling. :D

#120 Droid on Roids

• PipPipPip
  • 93 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 05 July 2012 - 04:01 PM

Yeah great post. Informative without being elitist.
Sending all my WoT buddies the link

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users