Why I Rarely Play Cw Anymore

Gameplay Balance Achievements

90 replies to this topic

#21 Ph30nix

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,442 posts

Posted 14 May 2015 - 11:41 AM

At this point i would rather they just add the 4 mech drop mode as a game mode and get rid of CW all together. AT least that way i could get relatively fast matches without jumping thru hoops. I do like the game mode for it though its just a shame the wait times kills it.

#22 Mhuur

Rookie

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 8 posts
  • LocationDayr Khuna (Oregon, USA)

Posted 14 May 2015 - 11:41 AM

View PostNanookoftheNorth, on 14 May 2015 - 08:50 AM, said:

Guys, it's called CW beta for a reason.
This is not the end game for CW, it's just a means to keep us occupied until they get everything right, as well as to test their CW system.

Overall, the event was a lot of fun, it was fun to band together against the clans.
I'm not saying things couldn't be better, but rather to be patient with PGI.

Remember when they changed the missile lock window to make it more difficult to maintain locks? Everyone bitched, and they reverted it in a day or two. Well its the same with ghost drops now, and its been a fair few weeks and its still the same.

Shouldn't they be tapping into the great resource that is their player base for insights, opinions and suggestions for CW? There is a certain percentage of their player base that plays CW nearly exclusively, should that percentage not be catered to and looked after?

#23 Revis Volek

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 7,247 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationBack in the Pilots chair

Posted 14 May 2015 - 11:42 AM

View PostThe Ripper13, on 14 May 2015 - 04:16 AM, said:

I've been checking on the faction tab close to cease fire over the past few nights, and you're right. Last night 30 min before ceasefire I saw 49 total players. One planet had 24 even on attack and defense and one planet had a single waiting. Earlier in the week I saw around 96-98 players in total before ceasefire.It is like this almost every night.

I still laugh when I think that some players say this is how it is supposed to be. The pinnacle of MWO being designed and built around 100 or so continuously active players...the density is laughable.

I dont know many units with the new mechanics that can take a planet in 2 hours. Takes us like 4...which is why i stopped playing CW. The change didn't help anyone just made everything tougher on everyone and gave us useless matches....woo pee.

#24 anonymous161

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 1,267 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 14 May 2015 - 11:48 AM

the low rewards for playing cw and considering how long it can take to get an actual game going just keeps me from being interested. I've played once cw match since the event.

#25 Dawnstealer

• Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 3,734 posts
  • LocationBlack Earth

Posted 14 May 2015 - 12:07 PM

It really just needs a different dominant game-type. Right now, we have Assault and Skirmish with three waves. That's real monotonous and leads to the whole OMEGARUSH that no one seems to like. It would be as if every match of Assault was just "ignore the enemy, just cap the base."

That's INCREDIBLY boring to play against, especially when the enemy is all mechs that easily move at 80kph+ and have great hitboxes and firepower. Make no mistake, a Clan group, even a moderately organized one, can win the base rush game if they focus solely on gennies and Omega nearly every time. Even if the opposition is single-mindedly focused on legging them, by wave three, the game's over.

Things are fun when they're fought out, but you're still left with the whole defending the base thing.

These gamemodes are fine, but really the game-mode PGI should have gone with is Conquest. I've said this elsewhere many times, but have cap points you have to take in sequence - then teams will actually have to decide on an ACTUAL STRATEGY for both conquering cap points and defending them from conquest while going for the next one. Have those cap points be available as new drop locations. Have the player be able to pick where they spawn.

Finally, ghost drops: implement AI vehicles. Please. No turrets - vehicles. Things that can move around that base, are still killable, but aren't in predictable locations. "Chase the Ontos" would be wildly more fun than "shoot the unguarded Omega."

On defense, going out and finding the AI-controlled vehicles attacking the base would be loads more fun than attacking radio towers. You could even mix up the vehicles: maybe the AI enemy will attack with 10 Demolishers, maybe they'll attack with 20 Savannah Masters. Maybe they'll attack with 20 Elementals.

Get where I'm going with this? Ghost drops are boring, but they don't have to be.

Just because the enemy isn't dropping (or defending with) mechs, doesn't mean they aren't defending it at all. Please implement AI units.

EDIT: The Generators for the gates are weird and unrealistic and kind of goofy: just make the gates themselves destructible. I mean...come on: who would design a super-awesome defensive wall with a gate that opened when its power source was DESTROYED? And even if they did, why would they put that generator RIGHT NEXT to the gate it was supposed to open? Makes no sense: lose it.

Edited by Dawnstealer, 14 May 2015 - 12:39 PM.

#26 MonkeyCheese

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,045 posts
  • LocationBrisbane Australia

Posted 14 May 2015 - 12:48 PM

I love the objectives and dropdeck of CW but for me it is the wait times and the rewards.

Sure AU prime time sucks so cant complain there. But even on weekends during NA primetime its still ages to get a match.

Then there is the rewards. I have a lot of fun going for objectives and commanding puggles to go for em too, but then we end and win the match after I help take out a huge chuck of each objective be it turret or gen to only see that yes I have the least damage but my exp and cbil rewards are just pitifuly low. Aka to get good rewards in CW that is already worse than public/group queues is to just 100% brawl and I may as well not play cw and brawl the pugs

#27 GrizzlyViking

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,202 posts
  • LocationMarik

Posted 14 May 2015 - 12:59 PM

View PostMystere, on 13 May 2015 - 06:39 PM, said:

I am surprised you are complaining about this. The Tukayyid weekend "event" was just that, a weekend event. PGI decided to hold it (probably as a system test) as a prelude to resetting the map, nothing more. It was not really an "end game" thing.

So what is the end game?

#28 Phlaago

• Pip
  • The Undertaker
  • The Undertaker
  • 16 posts

Posted 14 May 2015 - 12:59 PM

View PostDarthRevis, on 14 May 2015 - 11:38 AM, said:

That is NOT favoritism, its a bug. Why dont you send and email to support rather then stating hyperbole and trash that you know nothing about.

I have seen many players report such bugs to have attack lanes opened to them for the next phasem, but keep whining. Maybe your flood of tears will hit Vancouver.

Again, think before typing friend. No one is being FAVORITED if any side is it would be the IS as Russ and others have stated they have a soft spot for them and didn't want clans in this game to begin with.

And why would I report this as a bug? their likely fix would probably be to close the ghostbear attackpath to us :)
you apparantly failed to read my example of their "fix" when frr was being pushed to their last systems, back then they responded to qq by opening a lane that should have been closed due to having been conquered the
previous phase. (for all we knew back then, newly taken systems were safe, but giving a steamrolling force a constant lane was more important, there was no bug back then.)
my point stands that this is one of the reasons cw is dead as it leads to lack of targets unless people feel like going rogue and jumping faction, or just go completely out of character and launch a fullscale invasion of another IS house.

Edit: I will concede that I did not monitor the solid reaming you jags got by kurita so maybe you have some more constructive examples to share with us.

Edited by Phlaago, 14 May 2015 - 01:11 PM.

#29 Mystere

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 14 May 2015 - 01:13 PM

View PostGrizzlyViking, on 14 May 2015 - 12:59 PM, said:

So what is the end game?

We don't have one yet as that is something PGI has not yet given any details for, "work in progress" and all that stuff.

#30 Triordinant

• Ace Of Spades
  • 3,495 posts
  • LocationThe Dark Side of the Moon

Posted 14 May 2015 - 01:21 PM

View PostStefka Kerensky, on 14 May 2015 - 09:09 AM, said:

I'd play cw only...if only enemies were available.

This is the real reason for low CW population

#31 GrizzlyViking

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,202 posts
  • LocationMarik

Posted 14 May 2015 - 01:25 PM

View PostKoniving, on 14 May 2015 - 03:54 AM, said:

On top of the complaints listed here, I'd like to add: There's almost no activity until the last two hours before a cease fire. Usually I'll get a match or two and then cease fire. Sometimes I won't finish my match before the cease fire in which I get left out in the cold.

My activity should matter.

Sadly.... it's not active except around an arbitrary timer.

I completely agree that activity should matter. That may be my biggest complaint.

What if they make all planets attackable with limits on the number of planets that can be in play per faction (maybe 2-3/faction?). Do away with CFs all together and replace them with 24 hour attack timers on each planet that start at the time of the initial attack on the planet. The win condition would be to take all of a planet's zones within 24 hours. The planet would change hands as soon as all zones are successfully taken, then another planet could then be attacked. A planet would be defended if all zones are not taken within 24 hours. Successful defense of a planet would start a cooldown timer that prevents that planet from being attacked again for at least 24 hours or possibly more.

#32 GrizzlyViking

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,202 posts
  • LocationMarik

Posted 14 May 2015 - 01:34 PM

View PostDawnstealer, on 14 May 2015 - 12:07 PM, said:

It really just needs a different dominant game-type. Right now, we have Assault and Skirmish with three waves. That's real monotonous and leads to the whole OMEGARUSH that no one seems to like. It would be as if every match of Assault was just "ignore the enemy, just cap the base."

That's INCREDIBLY boring to play against, especially when the enemy is all mechs that easily move at 80kph+ and have great hitboxes and firepower. Make no mistake, a Clan group, even a moderately organized one, can win the base rush game if they focus solely on gennies and Omega nearly every time. Even if the opposition is single-mindedly focused on legging them, by wave three, the game's over.

Things are fun when they're fought out, but you're still left with the whole defending the base thing.

These gamemodes are fine, but really the game-mode PGI should have gone with is Conquest. I've said this elsewhere many times, but have cap points you have to take in sequence - then teams will actually have to decide on an ACTUAL STRATEGY for both conquering cap points and defending them from conquest while going for the next one. Have those cap points be available as new drop locations. Have the player be able to pick where they spawn.

Finally, ghost drops: implement AI vehicles. Please. No turrets - vehicles. Things that can move around that base, are still killable, but aren't in predictable locations. "Chase the Ontos" would be wildly more fun than "shoot the unguarded Omega."

On defense, going out and finding the AI-controlled vehicles attacking the base would be loads more fun than attacking radio towers. You could even mix up the vehicles: maybe the AI enemy will attack with 10 Demolishers, maybe they'll attack with 20 Savannah Masters. Maybe they'll attack with 20 Elementals.

Get where I'm going with this? Ghost drops are boring, but they don't have to be.

Just because the enemy isn't dropping (or defending with) mechs, doesn't mean they aren't defending it at all. Please implement AI units.

EDIT: The Generators for the gates are weird and unrealistic and kind of goofy: just make the gates themselves destructible. I mean...come on: who would design a super-awesome defensive wall with a gate that opened when its power source was DESTROYED? And even if they did, why would they put that generator RIGHT NEXT to the gate it was supposed to open? Makes no sense: lose it.

And...as much as I like the base rush, maybe what needs to be changed is attack mode. Maybe attack mode should be the same as counter-attack mode with the win condition being to kill Omega and be ahead in the kill count or kill all enemy Mechs for the win.

#33 GrizzlyViking

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,202 posts
  • LocationMarik

Posted 14 May 2015 - 01:38 PM

View PostMystere, on 14 May 2015 - 01:13 PM, said:

We don't have one yet as that is something PGI has not yet given any details for, "work in progress" and all that stuff.

You are correct sir and that is one of the major issues with CW right now. We need to know more about PGI's vision for CW and the CW end game.

#34 NanookoftheNorth

Rookie

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 7 posts

Posted 14 May 2015 - 02:02 PM

View PostGrizzlyViking, on 14 May 2015 - 12:59 PM, said:

So what is the end game?

Jihad, no wait, the dark ages

#35 Kifferson von doober

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 242 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in England

Posted 14 May 2015 - 02:24 PM

is it too early to yell " good lord no!!!" to dark ages?

#36 ManDaisy

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 3,272 posts
  • LocationKing Of Flower Beds

Posted 14 May 2015 - 02:35 PM

Respawn kills CW for me.

#37 PappySmurf

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 842 posts

Posted 14 May 2015 - 03:06 PM

Its to bad CW is such a bust and MWO has become the ASSSHOLE game of the MechWarrior/Battletech IP series.

Im sorry but MechWarrior4 Vengeance and MechWarrior4 Mercenaries played on the MSN Gamming Zone with all the leagues and hundreds ofthousands of MechWarrior pilots was the best MechWarrior experience ever in this game series.And PGI with all there talent cannot even make MWO fun exciting and competitive enough to retain old and new players.

https://youtu.be/vZWxgLQZano

Edited by PappySmurf, 14 May 2015 - 03:07 PM.

#38 Wildstreak

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 5,154 posts

Posted 14 May 2015 - 03:18 PM

Regarding OP

1 - would take a long time to figure out. What SHOULD be the end game? Terra? What about for things such as IS vs IS, should that not have an end game or at least a goal/reason for it? Clan vs Clan? What if we get Periphery factions? Really broad subject here that needs to be clearly defined before going to PGI with a complaint.

2 - IS 10 ton advantage was never a big thing anyway and fixed nothing, it was something people knew would not fix whatever it was supposed to fix. Attack advantage depends on map and players. Map, Boreal is advantage for anyone with long range weapons compared to say Taiga where a smart person can use cover to reduce a range advantage. Player, you egt a team of Clanners dropping in Mechs that are not Timbers, Dires & Crows, how well do they do?

3 - Ghost drops should just be eliminated, going back to when CW was first brought in that was just wrong and a time waster. Just grant the auto-win with a bare minimum reward, it is silly to make people play out a match with no opponents.

4 - Expand to cover the times when some Clans had only one front because they never fought other Clans. Jade Falcon had only Steiner, Smoke Jaguar had only Kurita. Heck Ghost Bear attacked through Wolf jsut to fight other factions (JF & Steiner).

Then there are the other reasons not to play.

Respawning
Spawn Camping caused by above
'You must play with these Mechs & loadouts to win'
Game mechanics reward players who know when to change factions giving them the ability to control the game most
Few game modes
PUGs vs teams
some others not listed probably.

#39 Lyoto Machida

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 5,080 posts

Posted 14 May 2015 - 03:19 PM

PGI just sucks at their implementation of CW. They're probably happy with the 100 players they get nightly, or they'd show it by upping rewards, changing something, etc.

View PostThe Ripper13, on 14 May 2015 - 04:16 AM, said:

I've been checking on the faction tab close to cease fire over the past few nights, and you're right. Last night 30 min before ceasefire I saw 49 total players. One planet had 24 even on attack and defense and one planet had a single waiting. Earlier in the week I saw around 96-98 players in total before ceasefire.It is like this almost every night.

I still laugh when I think that some players say this is how it is supposed to be. The pinnacle of MWO being designed and built around 100 or so continuously active players...the density is laughable.

Pretty sure more than 100 people were playing CW back in 1993 on the Mechwarrior 1 engine in Multiplayer Battletech: EGA and that was on dialup. Had a working IS map and everything...

Oh well...the mode stays a ghost town as is then.

#40 Wildstreak

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 5,154 posts

Posted 14 May 2015 - 03:30 PM

TLDR version of CW.

Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users