Machine Gun Users,post Here.

61 replies to this topic

#1 TLxB

• PipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 59 posts
  • LocationSpain

Posted 15 May 2015 - 11:30 PM

And tell us ur epic kills with that weapons,whatever mech u use.

Locusts,firestarters,the arrows,jagermechs,doesnt care,.

The requirement was to have at least 2 machine guns.

Clan mechs accepted toó.

#2 Palor

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 372 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationManitowoc WI

Posted 17 May 2015 - 08:41 AM

I was playing my Huginn on Alpine Peek.. 4x MG and 2x SRM 4's. The match was basically over, only 1 enemy mech hiding somewhere and over 1/2 my team alive. I go scouting and find a Summoner up on a hill, the team way out of position so I engage with slightly less than 1 ton of MG ammo and no srm's left. Summoner is sitting at 94% health. I attack MG's blazing, I get a few good seconds of sustained fire into his back before he notices I was there, then we did the death spiral dance as I tried to keep my guns blazing into his rear CT. He finally went down in a smoking heap right as my guns clicked empty.

I thought it was a ton of fun dropping that guy with nothing but he MG's.

#3 Spleenslitta

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,617 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 17 May 2015 - 08:51 AM

I did my usual lone ranger stuff and went off on my own with my Kit Fox. It has 4MGs,2 SPLs, ER PPC, ECM and 6JJs.
I was the only ECM mech on my team and they complained off my choice of tactics. They whined so much the enemies laughed at them.

My MGs and SPLs cored out a Catapult, Hunchback, Hellbringer and a Panther. But guess what?
My team still kept whining even though we won by quite a lot. "i'm so quitting this game" one guy said.

#4 WonderSparks

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Defiant
  • The Defiant
  • 909 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC, Canada

Posted 17 May 2015 - 08:56 AM

"Major Pewpew", infamous JM6-DD piloted by yours truly, has seen a lot of action!
I run with 6 MG's and a pair of MPL's (plus an AMS and BAP) and a STD 315 engine for maximum overdrive. B)

Many, many, MANY times has this 'Mech gone off to do brawling things. Many times has this backfired, but many times has it resulted in surprising kills.
The details are all too gruesome to mention (actually I have just gone and forgotten, but what the heck), but suffice to say hundreds have fallen before the surprisingly short-ranged might of Major Pewpew!

...In short, I like machine guns in big groups, and my Jagermech has long been my favorite platform for them. ^_^

#5 JC Daxion

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 5,230 posts

Posted 17 May 2015 - 12:42 PM

View PostWonderSparks, on 17 May 2015 - 08:56 AM, said:

"Major Pewpew", infamous JM6-DD piloted by yours truly, has seen a lot of action!
I run with 6 MG's and a pair of MPL's (plus an AMS and BAP) and a STD 315 engine for maximum overdrive. B)

why wouldn't ya just drop down the engine to a 300, and load up 2 LPL's, would be way more effective.. higher alpha, and higher DPS too.

as for a couple of mine, i do something a bit different.. Cataphracts

the 4X, with a 2 ac-10's, 2 ML's, 2 machine guns and a STD engine, 260? i forget

i also run the Ilya with an AC-20, pair of LL's and 2 machine guns in the arms. Great fun! though i can't play it atm, as i sold it on accident, but will re-buy it to run this build as it is one of my favorite mechs.

I also have a spider, cicada and raven which i run 4 on all fun mechs..

Edited by JC Daxion, 17 May 2015 - 03:05 PM.

#6 Spleenslitta

• Ace Of Spades
  • 2,617 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 17 May 2015 - 12:50 PM

View PostJC Daxion, on 17 May 2015 - 12:42 PM, said:

why wouldn't ya just drop down the engine to a 300, and load up 2 LPL's, would be way more effective.. higher alpha, and higher DPS too.

Probably because he loves the sound of his MG's. Once you get hooked on that addictive sound it's impossible to quit!
During the later half of the game a mech with 3 or more MG's is the most lethal brawler out there because of all those exposed internals.

A mech with 2-3 exposed internals will hear lot's of "heatsink destroyed, AC20 destroyed, Medium Laser destroyed, heatsink destroyed." within 5-10 secs of running into a MG brawler depending on how many MG's he has.
A lot of players just panic when they hear all the stuff that gets ripped to shreds.

Edited by Spleenslitta, 17 May 2015 - 12:50 PM.

#7 Bloodweaver

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 890 posts

Posted 17 May 2015 - 12:57 PM

View PostWonderSparks, on 17 May 2015 - 08:56 AM, said:

Many, many, MANY times has this 'Mech gone off to do brawling things. Many times has this backfired, but many times has it resulted in surprising kills.
The details are all too gruesome to mention (actually I have just gone and forgotten, but what the heck), but suffice to say hundreds have fallen before the surprisingly short-ranged might of Major Pewpew!

...In short, I like machine guns in big groups, and my Jagermech has long been my favorite platform for them. ^_^

Have you tried the Arrow yet? It really feels almost too good.

View PostSpleenslitta, on 17 May 2015 - 12:50 PM, said:

Probably because he loves the sound of his MG's. Once you get hooked on that addictive sound it's impossible to quit!

He suggesting the other guy change the MLs to LPLs, not get rid of MGs.

#8 Repasy Cooper

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 1,131 posts
  • LocationAlpheratz

Posted 17 May 2015 - 12:59 PM

All I'll say is this: Don't remove the machine guns from your Timber Wolves. They'll be a whole lot more dependable after Tuesday update! ;)

#9 JC Daxion

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 5,230 posts

Posted 17 May 2015 - 03:01 PM

During the later half of the game a mech with 3 or more MG's is the most lethal brawler out there because of all those exposed internals.

The mech still has 6 +10k rounds... and dual large pulse..

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...54096ce2f23305b

Edited by JC Daxion, 17 May 2015 - 03:02 PM.

#10 WonderSparks

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Defiant
  • The Defiant
  • 909 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC, Canada

Posted 18 May 2015 - 04:39 AM

View PostJC Daxion, on 17 May 2015 - 12:42 PM, said:

as for a couple of mine, i do something a bit different.. Cataphracts

the 4X, with a 2 ac-10's, 2 ML's, 2 machine guns and a STD engine, 260? i forget

i also run the Ilya with an AC-20, pair of LL's and 2 machine guns in the arms. Great fun! though i can't play it atm, as i sold it on accident, but will re-buy it to run this build as it is one of my favorite mechs.

I also have a spider, cicada and raven which i run 4 on all fun mechs..

The LPL's also generate more heat than the MPL's do, plus I like moving as fast as possible for some reason. :D

I also have a Spider and a Cicada, as well as an Urbie or two. :P
My general rule of thumb is "If it can carry more than two MG's, I will do it" though I had previously made an exception with the Kit Fox. ^_^

View PostBloodweaver, on 17 May 2015 - 12:57 PM, said:

Have you tried the Arrow yet? It really feels almost too good.

I have not, been waiting on a Blackjack mastery bundle to get my hands on that one (I think there was no such thing last I checked) but I am quite sure it will feel much like my Jagermech (in its own, tiny way :P )

#11 Sparks Murphey

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 2,953 posts
  • LocationAdelaide, Australia

Posted 18 May 2015 - 05:09 AM

One of my most wonderful MG kills was with the Ember shortly after it first came out. Both my arms had been removed, so I was running around with the quad MGs harassing where I could.

I'd flanked behind the enemy team and found an LRM Stalker bombarding my team from cover, so gave it a burst from the MGs. It turned and looked at me, then realised I only had MGs so returned to it's barrage, presumably asking someone with nothing better to do to come back and deal with me. Meanwhile, my MGs found it's unarmoured leg. Suddenly, the Stalker's internals start flashing all of their own accord, and it turns back to me in a panic, stabbing at me with it's back up medium lasers as if that will stop the runaway ammo explosion devouring the assault 'Mech from within.

It felt glorious. :D

#12 Tastian

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 768 posts
  • LocationLayton, UT USA

Posted 18 May 2015 - 05:15 AM

Leveling my Urbies, I felt a rekindled flame for MGs. I particularly like the R60 with 4 machine guns, 1 medium and 1 large pulse laser. I spotted a laser vomit Timberwolf with an exposed CT so I faced him down. I stood there, he stood there, my machine guns tore into his CT and he died. Gotta crush the meta spirit to get faced down by an Urbie.

Since then I've started using my Nova Prime again - 6 ERMed Lasers, 4 machine guns. I recently ran right thru a mob of red enemies with MGs blazing and got 3 kills in a matter of seconds. One of the dead complained afterwards that there was no way my machine guns tore him up that fast.

#13 jss78

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 2,575 posts
  • LocationHelsinki

Posted 18 May 2015 - 07:07 AM

I love MGs in quad and hex installations. Got the BJ-A and CDA-3C, with a JM-6DD on the way.

That said, I can kind of see why MGs aren't "meta". I find that I play my BJ-A and CDA-3C mainly as non-MG mechs (ERLL and ER-PPC snipers, respectively). I then occasionally do a late-game switch into "vulture mode", where I hunt those by-then-exposed components with MGs. I occasionally get really high damages (for what are light medium mechs), but it's generally games which we are winning anyway, and I'm simply doing the late-game mopping up with MGs. I guess it's debatable whether it makes sense to run a mech that excels when we're already winning, instead of bringing something the can push the team over the top in the early game.

I don't mean to be a killjoy though, like I said I love MGs and will keep playing them. And without any shame as I find I can easily pull my weight in those mechs, where I play. ("Where" being low-elo PUG, that place where non-meta mechs go die, or flourish, depending on how you want to look at it.)

View PostWonderSparks, on 18 May 2015 - 04:39 AM, said:

I have not, been waiting on a Blackjack mastery bundle to get my hands on that one (I think there was no such thing last I checked) but I am quite sure it will feel much like my Jagermech (in its own, tiny way :P )

There is a BJ mastery bundle -- includes the Arrow as well as the BJ-1(C) and BJ-3.

Edited by jss78, 18 May 2015 - 07:08 AM.

#14 JC Daxion

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 5,230 posts

Posted 18 May 2015 - 07:41 AM

View PostWonderSparks, on 18 May 2015 - 04:39 AM, said:

The LPL's also generate more heat than the MPL's do, plus I like moving as fast as possible for some reason. :D

I also have a Spider and a Cicada, as well as an Urbie or two. :P

True, but MPL's only have a 220 range and then damage starts to drop, so at like 300 you are really only doing the amount of a single MPL, which isn't much at all. and just running a single pair is really not the best option in larger mechs. I say this as someone that used MPL's in tons of builds, but on heavier mechs they really need to be in groups of 3-4 at least..

this is your build here.. http://mwo.smurfy-ne...c0a646ab8bd6a3d

Now if you really want to go with the 6 machine guns and MPL's, go for the arrow.. it is faster, and carries 3 MPL's which is a better sweet spot for running MPL's on lighter mechs.. (for the record i have a commando that i run 4, but it runs hot!)

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...9b69b82163bc478

But in compairson to the LPL build, it really is improved in what counts, the over all damage and is better outside of losing the BAP, but you could just drop leg armor a tiny bit and one heat sink, and get it back..

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...a12a5f47f971e45

despite having the hotter LPL's, the mech runs at a higher DPS, for the simple fact that with 2 MPL's you are just never going to over heat, so really that extra weight is really wasted for the most part. the LPL's will do 22 damage at 365 which is basically almost double the MPL's with about the same recharge, and still be doing pretty good damage up to 730, Add in a recharge, and range module for them and this mech really improves and you still have your 6 machine guns and 4 tons which really is plenty, at 8k rounds, i had 10 before, but i think id rather just go with an extra heat sink. You are also only 3KPH slower which is basically unnoticeable.

Now this is the LPL arrow which again i find the Large pulse better even on this mech, as the MPL's just are lack luster on it, granted i am still in basics on this mech, and need to grab 2 more still, but it works better, with more consistent damage. (though you could use ERLL's with a couple 3 extra heat sinks and 4 tons of ammo if you want to play the long range game early, at the expense of a bit of DPS when you get up close)

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...35160fa3903aa9b

I'm a fan of run what you like, But seriously, try these out before you judge um, You might find you are much more consistent, just for the simple fact you don't need to be in point blank range to help out. I have a bunch of machine gun mechs so i get it.. I have even run a HBK 4G with 3 machine guns and 3 MPL's for kicks, it worked but i'd rather run the 4G with an ac-20+2 machine guns and 3 SL's for max carnage. I also have the spider, cicada, and raven with 4 machine guns too so i get fast mechs with guns! :)

Edited by JC Daxion, 18 May 2015 - 07:58 AM.

#15 TeteSP

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 117 posts
  • LocationSpain

Posted 18 May 2015 - 07:51 AM

Good to know that the machines guns are so useful,as for me,i start to know to which enemy needs a rain of bullets and which not. But one thing is clear,the machineguns was the best weapons for scavenger (or vulture,say it how u want) mode. Vs weak targets are beasts. But i remember one kill in alpine peaks vs a light mech,well a jenner,he runs between our team,and im running with a Cicada 3C with 4 mg and a médium pulse laser in his moment,so because all my team start to shoot him but no hits,he runs back to he comes,and i go back him shooting all i have,and that was my error. He was a lure mech and he conduits me to the enemy. I dont give a chance before the enemy team kill me and for my surprise i kill him with only mgs. Later i try to go back to my team,but a Warhawk shoot me various ppcs and my engine explodes. Now i learn from this,but the glorious kill vs light mech was high :D

The advantage of the mgs mechs was that the enemy dont consider u a serious treat,and the mgs in groups of 4 can be a huge danger vs all enemyes who have internal exposed,and if u have ur team providing fire the kill was sure.

Doesnt care if was a jenner or a diré wolf,if one of those have internals exposed, u can rub ur hands.

Edited by TeteSP, 18 May 2015 - 07:54 AM.

#16 Shiro Matsumoto

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Boombox
  • The Boombox
  • 492 posts
  • Locationon "The island"

Posted 19 May 2015 - 02:17 AM

Word! I love my Arrow`s (Half dark green, Half dark purple, bright markings: Joker Edition) 6 MGs... Wished they would have the Clan MG`s sound, though the IS sound is fine. :)

#17 TeteSP

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 117 posts
  • LocationSpain

Posted 19 May 2015 - 09:01 AM

In the only one that prefer IS machinegun sound???

#18 Wildstreak

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 5,154 posts

Posted 19 May 2015 - 10:12 AM

Urbies, best being when I ran the 2LL & 4MG Urbie that could get vulture kills on people as they come around the corner and I did not even have time to hit R.

#19 Papaspud

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 636 posts
  • LocationIdaho, USA

Posted 19 May 2015 - 10:41 AM

I love the arrow with 6 mg 2 ton ammo 2erll and a smallpulse to fill in the weight. Best game in it was a bit over 1000, but normally pulls 400-500 damage- if you don't let yourself get killed too quick, you have to survive to make this mech work. It is good sniping early- with quirks and mods 827m range, and as everyone has pointed out, a beast late in the game.

I have ran through a group a heavily damaged mechs at the end of the game and pulled off 3 kills one after another....it was sweet.

Just look for the arrow that looks like tron...that's me.

#20 Moldur

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 2,232 posts

Posted 19 May 2015 - 10:44 AM

I have a Nova named "knife only" with 4 machine guns and 12 small lasers. It gets poor-average damage usually, but a decent number of kills. It's a terrible poker for most of the match due to the knuckledragging small lasers, but then it does all its work in the later game. I target damaged or stripped components, open them up the rest of the way with my surgical laser knife, then I pummel it with 4 machine guns.

It's funny because the target doesn't usually realize just how badly they're screwed until their CT gets stripped in only a few seconds and is about to get blown out.

Edited by Moldur, 19 May 2015 - 10:46 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users