Mech Riding/stacking, Bannable Or Not?

48 replies to this topic

#21 Valdherre Tor

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 363 posts

Posted 08 June 2015 - 07:39 AM

I have seen mech ridding used as a good tactic in CW one time. Totally caught my unit by surprise on a wave two defense on Borel. The clan unit we were fighting used light mechs to transport timberwolves and direwolves at very high speeds all the way to the gens and drop them off right into our spawn point. It was very effective since most of our unit was at the gate and could not get back to the gens in time. though that was one match and we all just laughed about it, we never felt we had been cheated and gave them props for their line of thinking.
Outside of moving mechs around that are to slow to get anywhere, there is no advantage.

#22 Revis Volek

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 7,247 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationBack in the Pilots chair

Posted 08 June 2015 - 07:51 AM

View Postbad arcade kitty, on 07 June 2015 - 10:19 PM, said:

actually it doesn't

i mean it's an exploit but it's not a cheat, everybody can use that in-game mechanic without any additional programs

if anything, a uac/gauss macro is more 'an advantage that other players do not have' than mech riding

So a macro is more of an advantage then putting a DWF on top of a CDA and letting it carry teh DWF at 157kph to the front lines as fast your light mechs?

Maybe think again...

It bannable, no ifs and or buts about it.

View PostValdherre Tor, on 08 June 2015 - 07:39 AM, said:

Outside of moving mechs around that are to slow to get anywhere, there is no advantage.

so a 150+ kph DWF is NOT an advantage?

I dont think you understand what that word means...Is it out of control? NO, absolutely not but i have seen it and it happens.

Edited by DarthRevis, 08 June 2015 - 07:53 AM.

#23 Revis Volek

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 7,247 posts

Posted 08 June 2015 - 07:58 AM

View PostTitannium, on 07 June 2015 - 11:06 PM, said:

U MAD ?

its rly fun thing, and anyone who could call this an exploit is sick.

Well i will show you how SICK it is...

CW, on sulfur a unit decides carry CTF's in on CDA's while we are setup at the gate the (normal) HEAVY PUSH we thought was coming...

The all run by us at 150+ and we couldn't do any real dmg to them until they got off the tops of the other mechs. But by that time it was too late they had ran in with 5 or 6 CTF and dropped them off in front of omega, blew it up and game was over.

So explain to me how im SICK for thinking that is wrong. CTF's are OP when they go 150+ kph and dont take proper dmg until they stop....do you disagree with that statement?

#24 B0oN

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,870 posts

Posted 08 June 2015 - 07:59 AM

So, according to PGI´s rules I would have commited a bannable offense by jumping on top of a Stalker with my weaponless Summoner avoiding death until my teammates came to kill the Stalker with a "tophat" . .

Pffff, yeaaaa, whatever PGI ...

#25 bad arcade kitty

• Bridesmaid
  • 5,100 posts

Posted 08 June 2015 - 08:00 AM

View PostDarthRevis, on 08 June 2015 - 07:51 AM, said:

So a macro is more of an advantage then putting a DWF on top of a CDA and letting it carry teh DWF at 157kph to the front lines as fast your light mechs?

there is a difference between advantage that is achieved with in-game means and that is achieved with additional software or hardware

mech riding in principle doesn't differ from, i dunno, poptarting or using a cover to snipe or even simply picking a better mech and other advantages achievable to everybody with in-game means

meanwhile using macros or even simply a multi-button mouse is an advantage achieved with additional means which other players don't have access to. also fps and ping difference go there, having a better video card is an unfair advantage in a sense, same for being close to the server

#26 WonderSparks

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Defiant
  • The Defiant
  • 909 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC, Canada

Posted 08 June 2015 - 08:04 AM

I have never seen anything to suggest you are not hittable while riding on top of a 'Mech! (My Nova Prime on a Dire Wolf was most certainly NOT invincible XD)

That being said, I have not done that for quite some time (after hearing one can be banned for it; I would much prefer not losing my "investments" by trying to amuse myself in this manner) and I do understand how some people may find it annoying or whatever.

#27 ilikerice

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 324 posts

Posted 08 June 2015 - 08:04 AM

View PostDarthRevis, on 08 June 2015 - 07:51 AM, said:

I dont think you understand what that word means...Is it out of control? NO, absolutely not but i have seen it and it happens.

Think you misread that, there is no advantage unless you are moving around a slower mech with a faster one.

During a game If I get legged in a light the first thing I do is try and jump on the nearest assault.. King crabs are amazingly easy for doing this.. would you call that cheating?

Also, if you jump on an enemy mech and just shoot down into it is that considered a stacking bannable offense? Because those are the best kills in my opinion. There wasn't any stacking back when we had knockdowns right?

#28 bad arcade kitty

• Bridesmaid
  • 5,100 posts

Posted 08 June 2015 - 08:12 AM

View Postilikerice, on 08 June 2015 - 08:04 AM, said:

Think you misread that

he misread everything in that my post so i had to explain to him it on fingers in my previous one, lol

#29 Revis Volek

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 7,247 posts

Posted 08 June 2015 - 08:16 AM

I mis read nothing, its called differing opinons.

Well ask PGI what they think....yes riding mechs while you are legged is bannable IMO because what was the point in legging you? You are given yourself an unfair advantage after someone worked to leg you. I dont use Macros BTW but i dont see them being cheats, not to mention PGI ALLOWS IT! And saying having a good video card is an exploit is grasping at straws at best and makes me giggle.

Do you also think playing automatic in a race game with manual mode is an exploit or a cheat?

You had 2 sentences (really none since you lacked punctuation :P) in your post there was nothing to misread. Seemed like normal english to me....if i am not getting the code maybe i need the bad kitty decoder ring?

Edited by DarthRevis, 08 June 2015 - 08:22 AM.

#30 ilikerice

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 324 posts

Posted 08 June 2015 - 08:27 AM

View PostDarthRevis, on 08 June 2015 - 08:16 AM, said:

I mis read nothing, its called differing opinons.

Well ask PGI what they think....yes riding mechs while you are legged is bannable IMO.

So ban me, I'm stuck going at 40kph jumping on a king crab who is going what, like 50? I'm now a huge target (not that a King crab is a huge target anyways) I think it evens out.

And yes, you did misread it.

and you reply

#31 Darwins Dog

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,476 posts

Posted 08 June 2015 - 08:34 AM

From what I've seen it keeps the mechs on top in a constant state of falling/jumping animation, and that does mess with hit registration. That's why they changed the animations of some mechs to that bunny hopping wouldn't work. To me that implies that PGI doesn't want that kind of thing happening.

It also lets mechs move faster than they should normally be able to. That seems like an exploit right there. As in not intended to happen. That would make it bannable. It seems pretty cut and dry to me.

View PostRad Hanzo, on 08 June 2015 - 07:59 AM, said:

So, according to PGI´s rules I would have commited a bannable offense by jumping on top of a Stalker with my weaponless Summoner avoiding death until my teammates came to kill the Stalker with a "tophat" . .

Pffff, yeaaaa, whatever PGI ...

Haven't seen anything official on the subject, but I would say yes. Bannable if you keep doing it after being warned at least. I would hate to see anyone getting perma banned for just one instance (especially since it can happen by accident), but you were using an (presumably) incorrectly functioning mechanic to gain an advantage.

View Postilikerice, on 08 June 2015 - 08:04 AM, said:

Think you misread that, there is no advantage unless you are moving around a slower mech with a faster one.

During a game If I get legged in a light the first thing I do is try and jump on the nearest assault.. King crabs are amazingly easy for doing this.. would you call that cheating?

Also, if you jump on an enemy mech and just shoot down into it is that considered a stacking bannable offense? Because those are the best kills in my opinion. There wasn't any stacking back when we had knockdowns right?

Assuming that stacking is not allowed/not intended to be possible, then the answer to two of your questions is Yes. It would be cheating to ride an assault mech in a legged light because you are getting a speed boost (same as an assault riding a light). It would also be bannable to jump onto an enemy and shoot down at them because there is no way for them to hit you or avoid your fire.

#32 Bill Lumbar

• Death Star
  • 2,073 posts

Posted 08 June 2015 - 08:40 AM

Well, all I can say is this, "POINT BLANK TRIPLE AMS....WITH THEB33F!" Triple the fun, triple the AMS, and triple TheB33F! :P :lol: :ph34r:

#33 Jazzbandit1313

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,088 posts
  • Location--- Star's End ---- -- Novo Cressidas --

Posted 08 June 2015 - 08:42 AM

If they ever decide to "prevent" it, I want to see a mechanic that if the mech jumping on top is heavier, it will destroy the bottom one.

I.E. DWF-S jumps on a lolcust, Lolcust is rip.

#34 ilikerice

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 324 posts

Posted 08 June 2015 - 08:43 AM

View PostDarwins Dog, on 08 June 2015 - 08:34 AM, said:

From what I've seen it keeps the mechs on top in a constant state of falling/jumping animation, and that does mess with hit registration. That's why they changed the animations of some mechs to that bunny hopping wouldn't work. To me that implies that PGI doesn't want that kind of thing happening.

It also lets mechs move faster than they should normally be able to. That seems like an exploit right there. As in not intended to happen. That would make it bannable. It seems pretty cut and dry to me.

Haven't seen anything official on the subject, but I would say yes. Bannable if you keep doing it after being warned at least. I would hate to see anyone getting perma banned for just one instance (especially since it can happen by accident), but you were using an (presumably) incorrectly functioning mechanic to gain an advantage.

Assuming that stacking is not allowed/not intended to be possible, then the answer to two of your questions is Yes. It would be cheating to ride an assault mech in a legged light because you are getting a speed boost (same as an assault riding a light). It would also be bannable to jump onto an enemy and shoot down at them because there is no way for them to hit you or avoid your fire.

Actually if we both have weapons in our arms and not our torsos we should have the same firing angles correct? And he should be able to shoot up just as much as I can shoot down...

#35 Firelizard

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 607 posts

Posted 08 June 2015 - 08:44 AM

View PostNarcissistic Martyr, on 08 June 2015 - 12:29 AM, said:

...If you're an Urbie riding a King Crab no because it's awesome and doesn't make you go faster.

Drive me closer! I want to hit them with my AC/20!

#36 ilikerice

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 324 posts

Posted 08 June 2015 - 08:44 AM

View PostJazzbandit1313, on 08 June 2015 - 08:42 AM, said:

If they ever decide to "prevent" it, I want to see a mechanic that if the mech jumping on top is heavier, it will destroy the bottom one.

I.E. DWF-S jumps on a lolcust, Lolcust is rip.

That would be a glorious day when death from above attacks are implemented.

#37 ArchAngelWC

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Star Captain
  • Star Captain
  • 230 posts
  • Locationaboard the Smoke Jaguar Warship, "Sabre Hawk" in orbit above the PGI office

Posted 08 June 2015 - 08:46 AM

Only in game this sad and pathetic in its aspirations to be like the Noble Battletech...

could we even be having this discussion....but as PGI wills it

is it an exploit if they just chariot you to a reasonable position then drop you off?...
do their JJ's work normally while carrying a direwhale?
...cause that could be impressive could be like an atlas rocket if it was an S lol
someone needs to acquire that screenshot for Jade Falcon signatures :P

Edited by ArchAngelWC, 08 June 2015 - 08:49 AM.

#38 Bill Lumbar

• Death Star
  • 2,073 posts

Posted 08 June 2015 - 08:50 AM

View Postilikerice, on 08 June 2015 - 08:44 AM, said:

That would be a glorious day when death from above attacks are implemented.

When I played on my Clan only account I was with a group that had private matches and training while recording them. One of the skill sets we tried to learn or test was shooting up a mech till it was cherry red but not killing it. Then, we tried jumping on the mech from many different heights, and kill it by over head damage. We came to the conclusion it was not gonna happen after many attempts to jump on the wounded mech. Damage was very light, and was all over the place, even transferring it to the legs at times, lol. To bad this isn't a part of the game, it would add depth for sure.

This group also ran test with battles that everyone was required to turn off their hud, first time I had ever done it and fought "blind", it was a lot fun, and I did surprisingly well with the hud turned off.

Edited by Bill Lumbar, 08 June 2015 - 08:59 AM.

#39 Jazzbandit1313

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,088 posts
  • Location--- Star's End ---- -- Novo Cressidas --

Posted 08 June 2015 - 08:55 AM

View PostBill Lumbar, on 08 June 2015 - 08:50 AM, said:

When I played on my Clan only account I was with a group that had private matches and training while recording them. One of the skill sets we tried to learn or test was shooting up a mech till it was cherry red but not killing it. Then, we tried jumping on the mech from many different heights, and kill it by over head damage. We came to the conclusion it was not gonna happen after many attempts to jump on the wounded mech. Damage was very light, and was all over the place, even transferring it to the legs at times, lol. To bad this isn't a part of the game, it would add depth for sure.

I was lumbering around in my DDC on colony one day and a Jenner flew out of no where. Jump jetted straight into my cherry red CT and instakilled me from collision damage. He didn't even bother firing his 6 SPLS into me, just knew he would get the collision kill. I could not stop laughing.

#40 Bill Lumbar

• Death Star
  • 2,073 posts

Posted 08 June 2015 - 08:57 AM

View PostJazzbandit1313, on 08 June 2015 - 08:55 AM, said:

I was lumbering around in my DDC on colony one day and a Jenner flew out of no where. Jump jetted straight into my cherry red CT and instakilled me from collision damage. He didn't even bother firing his 6 SPLS into me, just knew he would get the collision kill. I could not stop laughing.

Well he got really lucky, we spent almost 30 mins testing this out, and we had taken the mechs we tested it out on down to like 16% all cherry red. It took like 30 tries to get a kill this way.... it was crazy.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users