48 replies to this topic

#1 Ced

Rookie

• The Angel
  • The Angel
  • 4 posts
  • LocationSomewhere on Tharkad

Posted 07 June 2015 - 07:31 PM

So I was told today that riding mechs is bannable, searching the forums and searching with google hasnt really helped me much because the community seems rather devided on the issue and the devs havent said anything conclusive. (as far as i know.)

Here are the 3 reasons i was given why it is bannable:

You can not be hit when on top of another mech.

It lets you move assault mechs quickly across the map.

It is an exploit.

---EDIT NR. DUNNO---

Will i get banned for testing the reasons?

Edited by Ced, 07 June 2015 - 08:38 PM.

#2 MoonUnitBeta

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,560 posts
  • LocationCanada ᕙ(⇀‸↼‶)ᕗ

Posted 07 June 2015 - 07:52 PM

yes

#3 Chuck Jager

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 2,031 posts

Posted 07 June 2015 - 09:56 PM

Does it give you an advantage that other players do not have? Do you have to justify your answer?

#4 Tarogato

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 6,557 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 07 June 2015 - 10:13 PM

Yes, it's an exploit and yes it's a bannable offense if you can provide evidence that it was used to garner an unfair advantage.

Yes, talking about it on the official forums (this thread) is grounds for thread deletion and disciplinary action.

That said, I prefer to speak my mind. I like this little mechanic and most people only do it for giggles and quite rarely. That said, 170 kph Direwolves are uncool. If you are caught doing this regularly, you should and will be punished for it.

Riding another mech does not make you unshootable. Quite the contrary, actually. It elevates you above cover and more enemies are likely to shoot you - it makes you more vulnerable. In my testing I've determined that it doesn't convolute hitboxes nor does it have any negative impact on hitreg. What it does do however is cause warping/teleporting when the mechs are travelling beyond a certain speed (though this is a rather slow speed, somewhere between 40 and 70kph and seems to depend on the chassis, and it DOES cause obvious hitreg issues)

Personally, I hope it's never removed from the game completely. I'd rather see it expanded on as a proper game mechanic (i.e., a Direwolf trying to ride a Locust should crush the Locust or at least cause a knockdown and severe damage) and implemented alongside proper Death From Above mechanics.

I'm expecting this thread to be closed soon. :P

#5 bad arcade kitty

• Bridesmaid
  • 5,100 posts

Posted 07 June 2015 - 10:19 PM

View PostChuck YeaGurr, on 07 June 2015 - 09:56 PM, said:

Does it give you an advantage that other players do not have? Do you have to justify your answer?

actually it doesn't

i mean it's an exploit but it's not a cheat, everybody can use that in-game mechanic without any additional programs

if anything, a uac/gauss macro is more 'an advantage that other players do not have' than mech riding

#6 kesmai

• The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 2,429 posts
  • LocationPirate's Bay

Posted 07 June 2015 - 10:32 PM

Real stackers stack 3 mechs at least. EveryThing less is and should be a bannable offense.

beware the 5 mech stack of doom though...

...and the new meta is:
on the serious side is the fact that the mech on tops aim is completely off the most time. I fail to see a problem.

#7 Gralzeim

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • 366 posts
  • LocationIllinois, USA

Posted 07 June 2015 - 10:53 PM

View Postkesmai, on 07 June 2015 - 10:32 PM, said:

on the serious side is the fact that the mech on tops aim is completely off the most time. I fail to see a problem.

That, and unless it was fixed (I doubt it was), there's a chance that the physics will get unhappy and cause the rider's mech to do damage directly to his mount's head. >_>

I mean, a Highlander riding a Locust is technically an exploit (you're exploiting the fact that the game doesn't check to see if the Locust should be able to carry a 90 ton assault mech), but not a bug exploit. Sure, it's sort of a gameplay advantage, but how much of one is it really? You have to finagle the assault onto the light, and hope it doesn't fall off, or glitch the heck out, etc. Seems like barely a situational benefit, at best.

But if PGI has said it's bannable, then it's bannable, and it's best to not risk it.

#8 Speedy Plysitkos

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,460 posts
  • LocationMech Junkyard

Posted 07 June 2015 - 11:06 PM

U MAD ?

its rly fun thing, and anyone who could call this an exploit is sick.

Edited by Titannium, 07 June 2015 - 11:08 PM.

#9 kesmai

• The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 2,429 posts
  • LocationPirate's Bay

Posted 07 June 2015 - 11:37 PM

Next thread: Flamers are OP

#10 Azamirror

Rookie

• Survivor
  • 5 posts

Posted 07 June 2015 - 11:48 PM

This doesn't even slightly work, once I was not moving on an atlas getting hit by ppcs, atlas retreated with me on top but I still took damage from wherever(then when i moved, it showed me that i was really standing infront of the atlas). Also, I tried riding once, it looked like I moved but several seconds later I was right back where I hopped on the atlas

#11 Narcissistic Martyr

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 4,242 posts
  • LocationLouisville, KY

Posted 08 June 2015 - 12:29 AM

It depends... if you're an atlas riding a jenner, yes because you're exploiting the game to make the atlas go faster. If you're an Urbie riding a King Crab no because it's awesome and doesn't make you go faster.

#12 Elizander

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,540 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 08 June 2015 - 01:09 AM

They don't care if you do riding in private matches (I think). Just don't do it in the queues.

#13 Mudhutwarrior

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 4,183 posts
  • LocationThe perimieter, out here there are no stars.

Posted 08 June 2015 - 03:00 AM

That explains the atlas showing up at our spawn the other day. I though he warped somehow.

Dude was on us in no time. It didn't work out for him but he sure did some surprise damage.

#14 Ghogiel

• CS 2021 Gold Champ
  • CS 2021 Gold Champ
  • 6,852 posts

Posted 08 June 2015 - 03:05 AM

At first they said mech riding wasn't an issue and were joking about it themselves. Then at some point after they labled it an exploit. It's unlikely anyone will get banned for doing it unless they get warned for doing it first and then keep on doing it. And that first ban might not even be a perma ban.
It's just a rediculous thing, imo not really an exploit that gives any advantage, I would hope they aren't so trigger happen to just outright ban players accounts for like doing it once or twice.

#15 Pjwned

• Little Helper
  • 4,731 posts
  • LocationDancing on the grave of Energy Draw LOL

Posted 08 June 2015 - 03:23 AM

If you ask me I think the issue is mostly twofold:

1. The smaller mech should not be moving at normal speed with a giant mech standing on top of it.

2. The smaller mech should be crushed from the weight of the bigger mech.

Neither of those things happen due to game limitations though, so we have a situation where it's possible for very large mechs to move much faster than otherwise possible, and in addition to that not being very fair it makes essentially zero sense so it's considered an exploit.

Are there any mechs in Battletech that are actually designed to carry other mechs?

#16 Nightmare1

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,636 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationPeeking over your shoulder while eating your cookies.

Posted 08 June 2015 - 05:09 AM

I hope it's not bannable in Private Lobbies. My Unit is planning a "Capture the Base" style tourney between us and another Unit. The objective is to carry an Urban Mech (the flag) atop an Assault Mech and "plant" it in an enemy base. Both teams will be all Assault Mechs with a single Urby "flag."

Is it bannable in the public queues alone, or in Private Lobbies too?

#17 MechWarrior5152251

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,461 posts

Posted 08 June 2015 - 05:35 AM

LOL. it would be funny if someone was banned. Its not an advantage to ride on another mech.....

#18 Dino Might

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 2,030 posts

Posted 08 June 2015 - 05:46 AM

I've done it for giggles a number of times, usually mid-match in CW or something when it's all but decided and I am in a notably non-JJ mech (I run off hills onto teammates...and sometimes enemies). I like it when people have some fun with the game and enjoy seeing the "tower of power" 2-3 stacked mechs cresting a hill. The guys on top are usually warping so badly on their screen they either shoot their teammates or can't hit a thing anyways. Also, the guy on top can't turn his legs, so it's not even as effective an "exploit" as TBW hopping used to be.

Best move so far, in a deathmatch, I accidentally fell off HPG upper onto an enemy shadowhawk in my locust. Stuck right on top of him, and I was in the 1E, so my arms could shoot down enough to hit him from on top. He ran around trying to dump me off as I rode shooting him like the giant bug in the Starship Troopers movie. It was hysterical. Though it could be considered an exploit, I figure it's fair game if it's an enemy mech and you happen to get the literal drop on him. Plus, it's bloody hilarious.

I'm a fan of mech stacking, because I want to keep a few things in the game that are light-hearted and allow a bit of jackassery. I don't need some pro-tryhard e-sports second life roleplay ruleset detracting from the entire point of a game.

Were it a seriously game-breaking unfair advantage, sure, get rid of it. But I've never seen a team dominate as a result of mech stacking.

Edited by Dino Might, 08 June 2015 - 05:47 AM.

#19 Mechwarrior Buddah

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,459 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 08 June 2015 - 05:53 AM

View PostCed, on 07 June 2015 - 07:31 PM, said:

You can not be hit when on top of another mech.

It lets you move assault mechs quickly across the map.

It is an exploit.

this

View PostNightmare1, on 08 June 2015 - 05:09 AM, said:

I hope it's not bannable in Private Lobbies. My Unit is planning a "Capture the Base" style tourney between us and another Unit. The objective is to carry an Urban Mech (the flag) atop an Assault Mech and "plant" it in an enemy base. Both teams will be all Assault Mechs with a single Urby "flag."

Is it bannable in the public queues alone, or in Private Lobbies too?

Private lobbies are a free for all as far as I know

#20 Ced

Rookie

• The Angel
  • The Angel
  • 4 posts
  • LocationSomewhere on Tharkad

Posted 08 June 2015 - 07:38 AM

Right, so from what i could gather from this thread, its ok to do, just not to gain an unfair speed advantage.

question answered i guess.

View Postkesmai, on 07 June 2015 - 11:37 PM, said:

Next thread: Flamers are OP

exactly!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users