• Veteran Founder
  • 63 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 06 July 2012 - 10:02 PM

View Post7ynx, on 04 July 2012 - 07:03 PM, said:

right on... The LAM's should never have been introduced to the BT side of the house... But I suppose Jorden W. had some license aggreements back then and wanted to use as much as possible, who knows... Point is they've been mixed, but at least NOT in the computer and novel media of Battletech, the LAM's only appeared in the TT media... though I could be mistaken, please correct me if so...
http://www.sarna.net...l_Readout:_3025

While you couldn't actually pilot it there was a Phoenix hawk LAM in BT: Crescent Hawks Inception that belonged to Jason Youngblood.
http://www.sarna.net...red_BattleMechs

#62 Buck Rogers

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 230 posts
  • LocationMica Majority

Posted 06 July 2012 - 10:17 PM

Not only would LAMs not work in MWO and be incredibly difficult to implement I imagine, they're supposed to be so bloody uncommon you'd never encounter one anyways. The devs are trying to include common mechs that would be found in most combat zones in the inner sphere in the 3048 time frame. Sure as fudge wouldn't be squadrons of Lams flitting around your average contested planet I don't think.

#63 Lipot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 107 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 10:26 PM

I have an alternative to the angry LAM debate. If you want to play with those types of mecha then download a copy of Macross VO. I know that there are 2 versions but you would more then likely want the Macross VOXP as it is meant for Windows XP. Also if you can not read Japanese, there are a couple of mods you may want. The first only really changes 98% of the text to English. The second is a full blown mod but going towards Robotech. The difference is that the story for Macross VO takes place after all the events in the original Macross series but before Macross Plus/Macross 7. Sorry but destroids are not pilotable but all first generation Valkeries/Veritechs are. So it will not help anyone itching to use a Rifleman or Marauder.

#64 Powerax

• PipPip
  • Cadet
  • Cadet
  • 34 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 10:34 PM

Though yes the LAM's were in BT (In fact I still have P.hawk mechwarrior piece on my computer desk) they would not work for this game for many reason other then the usual. There is no room to fly in combat on the maps I seen, your team mates will count you more of a liability (why settle for a wasp when you have a jenner). Also if you want to quickly shutdown MWO, Harmony gold will do so in a heart beat due to there intense haterd to the Battletech frach.
If LAMS are offer then they would have to be on there own map with other LAMS, cause of room need to fly, to balance out the gameplay. But also unless HG allows it, it would be taken down very quickly.

So no LAMS sport, but hey why want one when it can be shot down with a shot of a AC or Laser and get more damage on crashing.

#65 Rejarial Galatan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 4,312 posts
  • LocationOutter Periphery

Posted 06 July 2012 - 10:36 PM

lets face it, the LAM's are a failed, unsafe, tactical nightmare that kill as many pilots as they do enemy combatants. Not worth the effort. MAYBE if the IS had not gone and lost all that tech they could have perfected the LAM design, but, alas, no such luck.

#66 SteelWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 558 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 06 July 2012 - 11:46 PM

i cant even believe people are saying crap like "maybe down the road, come back in a year". I cant think of anything more ridiculously absurd to be added to a mechwarrior game such as MWO. MAYBE in some distant alternate reality where Mechwarrior the reboot took place in a single player format could you POSSIBLY see something along these lines, but still not likely at all. Land Air Mechs were so bloody rare in the lore that they were practically kept close to home and only deployed when the 1 in 100000000000000 missions required them.

I mean EVEN if the engine was to support it smoothly, were talking about a Mech who could transform into a Jet and fly at Aerospace speeds, something like 30+ hex's based on table top rules.

Further more youd ultimately get your *** handed to you because the Conversion tech that all Lams carried was heavy, reducing your armour to little more then paper.

But this is all beside the point because I would bet you 30 years of my life we never see LAMs in MWO.

#67 Sychodemus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 656 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 07 July 2012 - 01:47 AM

View PostPowerax, on 06 July 2012 - 10:34 PM, said:

Though yes the LAM's were in BT (In fact I still have P.hawk mechwarrior piece on my computer desk) they would not work for this game for many reason other then the usual. There is no room to fly in combat on the maps I seen, your team mates will count you more of a liability (why settle for a wasp when you have a jenner). Also if you want to quickly shutdown MWO, Harmony gold will do so in a heart beat due to there intense haterd to the Battletech frach.
If LAMS are offer then they would have to be on there own map with other LAMS, cause of room need to fly, to balance out the gameplay. But also unless HG allows it, it would be taken down very quickly.

So no LAMS sport, but hey why want one when it can be shot down with a shot of a AC or Laser and get more damage on crashing.

Transformable robots predate even Macross. Harmony Gold (of Robotech f/sh-ame), couldn't touch MWO over the issue of Land-Air 'Mechs unless they used the designs used in that show.

Of course, that doesn't mean they wouldn't try.

Ignoring all the in-game scarcity and legal issues, LAMs probably won't be seen anyway until their official full reintroduction to the Battletech universe.

Edited by Sychodemus, 07 July 2012 - 01:48 AM.

#68 Deathz Jester

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,107 posts
  • LocationOH, USA

Posted 10 July 2012 - 09:29 PM

This thread is still here.....?

waiting for it to die seems like a fruitless endeavor

#69 Rychard Starheart

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder