Assault 'mechs Re-Scale Vote (Part 1)

103 replies to this topic

Poll: Assault 'Mechs Re-Scale Vote (3773 member(s) have cast votes)

Which Assault 'Mech do you want to have re-scaled the most?

1. Voted Awesome - 80 Tonnage (2291 votes [35.84%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 35.84%

2. Voted Victor - 80 Tonnage (612 votes [9.57%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 9.57%

3. Voted Zeus - 80 Tonnage (347 votes [5.43%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 5.43%

4. Gargoyle - 80 Tonnage (469 votes [7.34%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 7.34%

5. Voted Stalker - 85 Tonnage (514 votes [8.04%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 8.04%

6. BattleMaster - 85 Tonnage (335 votes [5.24%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 5.24%

7. Warhawk - 85 Tonnage (454 votes [7.10%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 7.10%

8. Highlander - 90 Tonnage (226 votes [3.54%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 3.54%

9. Voted Banshee - 95 Tonnage (145 votes [2.27%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 2.27%

10. Executioner - 95 Tonnage (179 votes [2.80%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 2.80%

11. Voted Atlas - 100 Tonnage (444 votes [6.95%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 6.95%

12. King Crab - 100 Tonnage (189 votes [2.96%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 2.96%

13. Dire Wolf - 100 Tonnage (187 votes [2.93%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 2.93%

Vote

#1 Tina Benoit

Community Manager

• Developer
  • Developer
  • 817 posts

Posted 03 July 2015 - 09:35 AM

Hello MechWarriors!

Welcome to the 'Mech re-scaling project part 1!

Here's how it's gonna work!

In Part 1:
Vote for the 'Mech you wish to have re-scaled the most on each weight class poll!
Vote for Light 'Mechs re-scale here
Vote for Medium 'Mechs re-scale here
Vote for Heavy 'Mechs re-scale here

Next step in Part 2:
On July 9th, the top 3 voted 'Mechs from each weight class poll will be collected and added to a new Poll. In the new poll, you will be able to vote between the 12 'Mechs where only the top 5 voted ones will be chosen.

Last step in Part 3:
The chosen top 5 'Mechs will have a poll of their own where you will be able to vote if the 'Mech needs to be scaled Up or scaled Down!

#2 Iqfish

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,488 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationGermany, CGN

Posted 03 July 2015 - 02:49 PM

I want to spam "Awesome" a thousand times, but I guess which assault mech to resize doesn't need any further discussion...

#3 ShaneoftheDead

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 174 posts
  • LocationPA

Posted 03 July 2015 - 03:01 PM

The Awesome is not as bad as it used to be. I'd rather see the Atlas be just a little larger.

#4 Tennex

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 6,619 posts

Posted 03 July 2015 - 03:02 PM

Zeus, Stalker too small IMO.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Here is a chart by Taragato on reddit: Remember Mechs can be too small too

Posted Image

Edited by Tennex, 05 July 2015 - 09:00 AM.

#5 Nothing Whatsoever

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 3,655 posts
  • LocationNowhere

Posted 03 July 2015 - 03:05 PM

Yeah, gonna stay to choices that can see with a bit of a reduction the most, in relation to the rest (Lucky Stalkers!).

#6 Tennex

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 6,619 posts

Posted 03 July 2015 - 03:11 PM

View PostPraetor Knight, on 03 July 2015 - 03:05 PM, said:

Yeah, gonna stay to choices that can see with a bit of a reduction the most, in relation to the rest (Lucky Stalkers!).

Seems like theres a tendency to only look at overscaled mechs. Obviously because everybody wants their favorite mechs to be a little harder to hit. Hope there isn't eventually some kind of "Scale Creep"

#7 Torchfire Katayama

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 114 posts
  • LocationNA

Posted 03 July 2015 - 03:13 PM

Gargoyle is 20 lighter than Atlas but just as big. Awesome is ******* massive. Zeus is tiny as hell, I always mistake it for a heavy at medium to long ranges.

#8 Nothing Whatsoever

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 3,655 posts
  • LocationNowhere

Posted 03 July 2015 - 03:20 PM

View PostTennex, on 03 July 2015 - 03:11 PM, said:

Seems like theres a tendency to only look at overscaled mechs. Obviously because everybody wants their favorite mechs to be a little harder to hit. Hope there isn't eventually some kind of "Scale Creep"

Ture, but at the minimum, it would be nice to have the 80 tonners have their surface volume get a tad closer to each other, meaning my vote goes to Awesomes and Gargolyes at this point.

And I'd personally love to have mechs get closer to the ~12 meter height average over time, with outliers like the Atlas, Banshee and Executioner, for example, at their appropriate scale in relation to the rest of the mech lineup.

The one mech that can see an increase are Stalkers from the Assault options. For me, the Zeus is in a great place, and it's quirks really aid it's durability from there.

#9 Frost Lord

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 419 posts

Posted 03 July 2015 - 03:35 PM

I was thinking the same thing people also don't like making things worse even if they should be. hope they let us veto some picks in the second poll. perhaps we could get 5 votes and each one can be an up vote or down vote.

#10 Hawk819

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • 1,624 posts
  • Location666 Werewolf Lane. Transylvania, Romania Ph#: Transylvania 6-5000

Posted 03 July 2015 - 03:46 PM

The Awesome is my first and foremost choice. Plus, I hope they fix the geography on it's loadouts.

#11 StalaggtIKE

• The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 2,304 posts
  • LocationGeorgia, USA

Posted 03 July 2015 - 03:57 PM

The Awesome is too tall and wide. While the Victor is too wide in the chest and shoulders. And finally, the Zeus and Stalker are too small.

#12 Tarogato

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 6,557 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 03 July 2015 - 04:04 PM

Dunno why so many people think the Stalker is too big. I don't own any, I don't pilot them, nor do I even like them. They seem like huge fat blimps, to me. Really easy to shoot, too. I don't find they need to be scaled up at all.

I definitely think the Zeus is on the small side and the Gargoyle is a bit too big for its own good.

Edited by Tarogato, 03 July 2015 - 04:05 PM.

#13 LORD ORION

• Heavy Lifter
  • Heavy Lifter
  • 1,070 posts

Posted 03 July 2015 - 04:07 PM

I was affraid of this as well, but seems most people understand the issue properly.
The mechs that need it the most are carrying the most votes.

I voted Kit Fox, Treb, Catapult, and Awesome, and was pleasantly surprised to see the results after voting.

#14 The Mechromancer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 497 posts

Posted 03 July 2015 - 04:19 PM

Awesome and Warhawk are the only 2 assault mechs that -really- need to be looked at.

View PostTarogato, on 03 July 2015 - 04:04 PM, said:

Dunno why so many people think the Stalker is too big. I don't own any, I don't pilot them, nor do I even like them. They seem like huge fat blimps, to me. Really easy to shoot, too. I don't find they need to be scaled up at all.

I definitely think the Zeus is on the small side and the Gargoyle is a bit too big for its own good.

Cuz from the front it is very slender and not very tall.

The stalker's mass only shows when turned. I personally think the stalker is fine, it has a good shape, but with a low engine cap, poor twist, and no arms to protect its STs I think it is a fair trade

#15 GrimReality

• PipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 98 posts
  • LocationTX

Posted 03 July 2015 - 04:19 PM

Would this be the appropriate time & place to request that the Stalker's knees be reversed to the more traditional (albeit more awkward looking) human-knee bend, rather than the current chicken walker legs?

This along with increasing its size and/or decreasing the Catapult's size to better differentiate the two.

#16 Wintersdark

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,375 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 03 July 2015 - 04:21 PM

Nah. There really aren't many mechs that are really too small, and those that are really aren't much of a problem. The Stalker is maybe a smidge small, but keep in mind it's selling feature was that it was very compact. It's designed to be small. Also, it's a fine mech but not an overpowered one.

On the other hand, there are a lot of GROSSLY oversized mechs. Centurion is roughly the size of an Atlas, the Catapult is freaking enormous, for example. The Awesome is terrible, even with it's quirks, because it's pretty much impossible to miss.

On the Clan size, the only really genuinely poorly sized mech is the Kit Fox, so that's a plus in their favour.

IMHO, it's best to focus on the mechs that are oversized and suffer as a result - the mechs that are basically unusable beyond entry level play simply because they are too damned big.

#17 TheSilken

• 1,492 posts
  • LocationLost in The Warp

Posted 03 July 2015 - 04:30 PM

Awesome: thinner
Victor: thinner
Zeus: thicker
Gargoyle: tad shorter
Stalker: all around bigger (not by much though)
Battlemaster: tad thinner
Warhawk: shrink the upper torso and make less blocky like the concept art
Highlander: fine
Banshee: fine
Executioner: tad shorter, thicker joint between upper torso and lower torso
Atlas: fine
King Crab: tad thinner
Dire Wolf: less blocky upper torso like the concept art (alpha predator not whale look)

Edited by TheSilken, 03 July 2015 - 04:32 PM.

#18 Tennex

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 6,619 posts

Posted 03 July 2015 - 04:35 PM

View PostWintersdark, on 03 July 2015 - 04:21 PM, said:

Nah. There really aren't many mechs that are really too small, and those that are really aren't much of a problem. The Stalker is maybe a smidge small, but keep in mind it's selling feature was that it was very compact. It's designed to be small. Also, it's a fine mech but not an overpowered one.

On the other hand, there are a lot of GROSSLY oversized mechs. Centurion is roughly the size of an Atlas, the Catapult is freaking enormous, for example. The Awesome is terrible, even with it's quirks, because it's pretty much impossible to miss.

On the Clan size, the only really genuinely poorly sized mech is the Kit Fox, so that's a plus in their favour.

IMHO, it's best to focus on the mechs that are oversized and suffer as a result - the mechs that are basically unusable beyond entry level play simply because they are too damned big.

Thats the thing though "selling feature." Its not a problem to be small, but it is to be large. Thats why there will always be a bias towards making mechs smaller. The Zeus is literrally the same size as the hellbringer with 15 tons difference, but that isn't "much of a problem." But the griffin being 15 tons smaller than another mech is a problem.

If we are to truely desire balance or correct scaling, it has to be with the understanding that there are problems on both sides of the spectrum.

Of course I agree that the larger mechs should be first, I'm just saying it doesn't make sense from someone desiring correct scaling for a mech that is 15 tons bigger, to somehow be problem, but a mech 15 tons smaller isn't

#19 Nightshade24

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3,972 posts
  • LocationSolaris VII

Posted 03 July 2015 - 04:37 PM

View PostTennex, on 03 July 2015 - 03:02 PM, said:

Zeus, Stalker too small IMO. But going to keep my votes to overscaled mechs

Posted Image

Posted Image

Maybe lower the size of the catapult? The catapult is the main outlier here... not the stalker.

#20 ShinobiHunter

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,009 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 03 July 2015 - 04:45 PM

View PostGrimReality, on 03 July 2015 - 04:19 PM, said:

Would this be the appropriate time & place to request that the Stalker's knees be reversed to the more traditional (albeit more awkward looking) human-knee bend, rather than the current chicken walker legs?
There is never an appropriate time to ask for a beautiful mech to be "uglyfied" (that is a word now :P

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users