Do You Have To Cut Your Balls Off To Buy An Assault Mech?

74 replies to this topic

#1 Festus vanGeck

• Pip
  • Bad Company
  • 13 posts

Posted 17 July 2015 - 05:01 AM

From a diary of a medium mech pilot:

UGH!

I see some really good threads out there, like "Support the Atlas" or "Follow the fracking Atlas!". I get in the game, look around for one assault mech to support with my wubcrow and... nothing. Well, there's that one DWF with PPCs and Gauss' hiding several hundred meters behind the frontline. Or another one filled to the brim with LRMs, tucked behind a wall, desperately trying to get a lock while our fronline's getting obliterated, because half of our tonnage is afraid to get it's paint scratched.

Oh wait, what's that far away in the distance, is that...? Yeah, there's our ECM brawling Atlas, poking the enemy with his only LL, hiding for 2 minutes once somebody points a small laser at him. Wow, such courage, much tactics. Wow.

Apline peaks uphill attack. Do you know what it takes to make a line of assault mechs to move up and do their jobs? It's easy: put a medium mech in front of them, so they can all hide behind him while he facetanks everything during his uphill stride. Sounds absurd, but I can't count how many times I've done that in my SCR. Sad part is - this actually works. I might explode, but at least our assaults get in the enemy's face, instead of poking from an unfavourable position until they die one by one.

Is there a sticker on the assault mechs that says "Under NO CIRCUMSTANCE put your mech in a position where it can do it's job. You might get shot at, and that's very, very bad!". I seem to have missed it. Or does PGI require a sacrifice of your testicles once you attempt to buy an assault mech in the store?

I've played about a dozen games today morning and haven't seen one (ONE!) assault willing to get in front of the group and kick the enemy in the face. If you're not willing to do that, think about playing mediums or lights, everyone will have a better time. I feel an assault mech leading the team is like an unicorn these days.

On the other hand, if you do get in front, I will be right on your wing. I will blow parts off everything that dares to look at you. Every light mech that gets close will get a swift kick in the nuts. I will get in front of you and delay the enemy until you can get into a good position. I will watch all your blind spots. We'll be BFF until the end of time.

DO YOUR JOB SO THE OTHER 8-10 PEOPLE CAN DO THEIRS.

'Kay?

#2 Zaldier

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 57 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 17 July 2015 - 05:10 AM

So you see people in assaults as a meat shield for you to shine and them to die, you see as you said the dire wolf (no ferro for brawling) with PPC and gauss playing to its strengths and sniping and want him to close point blank and die for you to again shine. You sound like you want PGI to make assaults brawler only so that the rest of the team light/med/heavy can hide behind him and shine.

This is Mechwarrior not your warrior. You play the build you want the way you want. If you want a team to play and do what you say then make a unit, and drop with them you can order them all you want. Don't drop into a PUG que and expect everyone to rally to your side and form a mech wall so you can shine.

Sorry if this is not what others think or want but if its not again make a unit order them around and show us all how its done, sincerely please do so.

Edit to add = This sounds like what you want buy one, fit it, run it and play it the way you want others to and see if it works for you. There is no need to look to others when you yourself can do it just as well.

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...fab62a9ebf6609c

Edited by Balvier, 17 July 2015 - 05:19 AM.

#3 Papapeshu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 183 posts
  • LocationGosport, Hampshire. UK

Posted 17 July 2015 - 05:20 AM

I've played through the IS assault class and find the majority of the time when leading a charge my "team" abandons me to die.
Even using in game voip or typing my intentions to lead a charge meet with regular failiure.
PUGlife :/

You play an assault in PUGs and learn to cower until the enemy is in brawling range or a faster mech draws the enemy focus allowing you to return fire, hopefully giving your brave li'l light/med a chance to escape.

Bitching about assaults not abiding by the Leeroy Jenkins school of attack is pointless.
You want co-ordinated attack plans? Join a group on TS.
Otherwise, do the best you can with the PUGs and stop playing when you're not having fun.

#4 Zaldier

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 57 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 17 July 2015 - 05:22 AM

View PostC J Sparrow, on 17 July 2015 - 05:20 AM, said:

Bitching about assaults not abiding by the Leeroy Jenkins school of attack is pointless.

LOL i love this line nice one !

#5 Naduk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,575 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 17 July 2015 - 05:22 AM

as a Centurion pilot , i hear you
but sometimes you just need to stick with them anyway , the fight will happen fast enough

#6 TWIAFU

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 4,011 posts
  • LocationBell's Brewery, MI

Posted 17 July 2015 - 05:27 AM

View PostFestus vanGeck, on 17 July 2015 - 05:01 AM, said:

From a diary of a medium mech pilot:

UGH!

DO YOUR JOB SO THE OTHER 8-10 PEOPLE CAN DO THEIRS.

'Kay?

Sounds like you seek teamwork and group play.

Short answer to this; join a Unit. I have read all the excuses as to why people can't or won't and they are just that, excuses.

Listen, I tell you this from the bottom of my heart because I want you, and everyone else that seeks the same experience or a better MWO experience, joining a Unit is the answer.

No matter what Faction you like to play, no matter how much time you have to play, no matter your playstyle, there is one if not more Units that will fit how you like to play. If your surrounded by people that play the same way you do, how great is that? Hardest part is being honest with yourself in how you like to play and then finding the right Unit. Once you do some leg work, the payoff is HUGE!

#7 Narcissistic Martyr

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 4,242 posts
  • LocationLouisville, KY

Posted 17 July 2015 - 05:29 AM

I use my oxide to draw them out so the snipers can deal with them. Not like you see many brawler assaults these days and even when that was the meta getting the team to actually charge was basically impossible.

#8 Festus vanGeck

• Pip
  • Bad Company
  • 13 posts

Posted 17 July 2015 - 05:31 AM

View PostTWIAFU, on 17 July 2015 - 05:27 AM, said:

Sounds like you seek teamwork and group play.

Short answer to this; join a Unit. I have read all the excuses as to why people can't or won't and they are just that, excuses.

Listen, I tell you this from the bottom of my heart because I want you, and everyone else that seeks the same experience or a better MWO experience, joining a Unit is the answer.

I am in a unit, very teamwork-oriented one. Unfortunately, we barely have any members from my time zone.

#9 Festus vanGeck

• Pip
  • Bad Company
  • 13 posts

Posted 17 July 2015 - 06:09 AM

View PostBalvier, on 17 July 2015 - 05:10 AM, said:

So you see people in assaults as a meat shield for you to shine and them to die, you see as you said the dire wolf (no ferro for brawling) with PPC and gauss playing to its strengths and sniping and want him to close point blank and die for you to again shine. You sound like you want PGI to make assaults brawler only so that the rest of the team light/med/heavy can hide behind him and shine.

This is Mechwarrior not your warrior. You play the build you want the way you want. If you want a team to play and do what you say then make a unit, and drop with them you can order them all you want. Don't drop into a PUG que and expect everyone to rally to your side and form a mech wall so you can shine.

You see, I don't need anyone to "die for me" or anyone to hide behind to shine. I do very well without it. In fact, I don't shy away from tanking for bigger mechs if that's what gets the team into a better spot. What ruins it for me (and for many other people, judging by the angry chat remarks during lots of matches) is people using their mechs in a way that benefits nobody (like that Dire - I know he's not a brawler, but if he's not willing to take a few hits to that thick armor in order to hold the frontline intact, then he soon won't have any position to fire from at all) and then complaining about how the team is "****" or what not.
If everybody just wants to play their own game and "have fun", then why there's so much flaming, cursing and complaining in the team chat? Seems to me people want to win more than just have fun. And you do that by playing in a way that benefits the team.

View PostBalvier, on 17 July 2015 - 05:10 AM, said:

Sorry if this is not what others think or want but if its not again make a unit order them around and show us all how its done, sincerely please do so.

Edit to add = This sounds like what you want buy one, fit it, run it and play it the way you want others to and see if it works for you. There is no need to look to others when you yourself can do it just as well.

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...fab62a9ebf6609c

I have an acute allergy for anything that does less than 100 kph, so I'll pass on this one. I don't even need to try that to know that it works very well. Best MWO matches I had were the ones with competent assault pilots leading the way. I do realise this works much better with a coordinated unit, but is still very, very effective when done half as good in a PUG match.

[Bitching about assaults not abiding by the Leeroy Jenkins school of attack is pointless.

It is. That's wny I'm not bitching about assaults not abiding by the Leeroy Jenkins school of attack. I don't expect assaults to go out in a blaze of glory. I expect them to take the first hits to enable the rest of the team to form a proper firing line, like when attacking a strongpoint or a chokepoint. Then they are more than welcome to rotate out of the fight and into the backline. Hell, I've done it in mediums. I don't know, I thought there are things expected of you once you pick up a certain class, so that the team knows what to do and what to expect. Maybe I'm overthinking it. Still, it bugs me.

Edited by Festus vanGeck, 17 July 2015 - 06:09 AM.

#10 TWIAFU

• The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 4,011 posts
  • LocationBell's Brewery, MI

Posted 17 July 2015 - 06:10 AM

View PostFestus vanGeck, on 17 July 2015 - 05:31 AM, said:

I am in a unit, very teamwork-oriented one. Unfortunately, we barely have any members from my time zone.

Ouch!

What time zone you in friend? There are Units that have members from all zones all over the world.

Hate to even suggest such a thing, maybe time to look for something more active in your zone or see if the Unit can recruit from your time zone?

Your a team orientated player, thats a great thing in a team orientated game. When you find a Unit more active in your time zone your going to be a great asset to them as well as making MWO that much more enjoyable.

Look around Festus, won't do you any harm to see whats out there and what will suit you best.

:)

#11 TheLuc

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 746 posts

Posted 17 July 2015 - 06:23 AM

as an assault pilot mostly, the times i push no one follows, no need to explain the rest of the scenario

just like C J Sparrow wrote anyways.

#12 Bilbo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 7,864 posts
  • LocationSaline, Michigan

Posted 17 July 2015 - 06:24 AM

I do take the first hits. Generally after lumbering around a flank, in the vain hope of finding somebody to shoot at, because all these people I see in 100+ kph mechs cannot be bothered to locate the enemy so that I don't have to take an educated guess as to where they may be balling up.

#13 TheLuc

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 746 posts

Posted 17 July 2015 - 06:39 AM

Unlike you Bilbo seems as in my assaults I always find the pack and after that its my usual execution, I do the job of those scouts unwillingly

#14 Papapeshu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 183 posts
  • LocationGosport, Hampshire. UK

Posted 17 July 2015 - 06:47 AM

IMHO squirrels should lead a charge.
No one can resist a potshot at that little ****'s, which can provide a lumbering assault just enough time to totally ruin your day without him losing all his armour to focussed enemy fire.

We can bat tactics around all day, but at the end of it all we're still playing "instant action" and should be prepared for facepalming.
PUGlife. ;)

#15 Bilbo

• The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 7,864 posts
  • LocationSaline, Michigan

Posted 17 July 2015 - 06:50 AM

View PostTheLuc, on 17 July 2015 - 06:39 AM, said:

Unlike you Bilbo seems as in my assaults I always find the pack and after that its my usual execution, I do the job of those scouts unwillingly

Oh, I find them often enough. Still find my glorious execution more enjoyable than actively hiding behind a rock.

#16 Zaldier

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 57 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 17 July 2015 - 06:56 AM

When it all boils down to it, you are still not prepared to do what you demand others do. You don't want to buy an assault mech and do it yourself so you come to the forum and make this thread. You want assaults to do scouting when IMO lights are more suited to scouting, and do you really think this thread will change anything in the pug que. I would say 90% of the pug que will never ever read this thread. So yes this is just a bitching thread.

Best thing you can do out side of getting in an assault is join a new unit and drop with them after telling them how to play the game your way.

I really hope you find a great new active unit that suits your play style there are many out there im sure you will find one. Very best of luck to you sir :)

Edited by Balvier, 17 July 2015 - 06:57 AM.

#17 Lily from animove

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts
  • LocationOn a dropship to Terra

Posted 17 July 2015 - 07:06 AM

Have you seen assault prices? they porbably had to sell their balls for getting one.

#18 Elizander

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,540 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 17 July 2015 - 07:07 AM

Team synergy doesn't happen magically every game in Puglandia. Most veteran assault pilots have already died trying to tank without the team following probably 95% of the time already and have ended up with a match with no c-bills for their efforts.

#19 Pocket_Aces

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 103 posts

Posted 17 July 2015 - 07:09 AM

Clan assaults are not built to brawl, with no lower arm actuators, that is more the heavy and mediums job. When an assualt does push, most don't follow.

#20 Rear Admiral Tier 6

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,633 posts

Posted 17 July 2015 - 07:13 AM

getting mauled by gauss + ppc + lrm-fire early in the game has a zero contribution to a positive result.

being a brawler-assault you just need to be extremely patient in the pug queue

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users