Do You Have To Cut Your Balls Off To Buy An Assault Mech?

74 replies to this topic

#61 Wildstreak

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 5,154 posts

Posted 12 August 2015 - 06:09 PM

Nah, the next B33f video should be, "We save our Assaults!"

Should also be a video by someone about when someone calls push and the push is led by Mediums while the non-LRM Assaults hang back, seen it several times.

Edited by Wildstreak, 12 August 2015 - 06:09 PM.

#62 IraqiWalker

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 13 August 2015 - 11:08 AM

View PostWildstreak, on 11 August 2015 - 03:34 AM, said:

MWO myth.
Just one example, all those 3 LRM10 Zeus-6T.
Some MWO players made up these 'tube counts.'

A medium mech does the 30 tube count much, much better. That's a waste of an 80 ton assault mech. Also, yes, these tubecounts were made up, by the players, after much experimentation and optimization. If you bring less or more, you've got a meh, to bad LRM boat. Case in point, those 30 tube 80 tonners.

30 tubes is barely acceptable on a heavy, let alone an assault. Although the Zeus being 80 tons, can swing either way (though the Orion-VA is still infinitely better with 2 LRM 10s, and 2 LRM 15s, or 4 LRM 10s, and that's a 75 ton heavy).

From my experience, those numbers still hold. If you're taking up an assault slot, you should bring something to make up for that, and 30 tubes don't. Those can be secondary weapons. Shouldn't be the main armament.

#63 Erebus Alpha

• PipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 81 posts

Posted 23 September 2015 - 12:50 PM

I was once running interference & shooting things in a firestarter, using my awesome speed & jump jets to harass the enemy. So then, once I do lure them around the corner...an Atlas starts trying to hide behind me. A freaking 100 ton mech, using a 35 ton mech as cover?

That is unacceptable regardless of how cored you are.

Seriously, I have no problem running interference because I like fast things that fly. You're free to shoot **** because **** is shooting at me instead of you. Spend armor, make things dead, and win. Hesitation ensures defeat; it just happens more slowly.

#64 Palor

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 372 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationManitowoc WI

Posted 23 September 2015 - 06:34 PM

I don't really play my Atlas anymore, but when I did I loved it when even 1 or 2 people would support me and help me charge into the enemy and send them scattering in fear. Assaults that hang back and don't assist their team better be ace snipers or they are just not helping at all.

#65 Archie4Strings

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 659 posts

Posted 25 September 2015 - 12:42 AM

Well facts are:

Assaults got the most amor of all! So it makes sense to put them in the front and let them take the damage.
On the other side:
Usually its the assault mechs with the highest loadout, damageoutput, most weapons...
So it also makes sense, to maneuver them to a good firing spot and just let them kill everything which is brave or stupid enough, to cross their line of sight. Even if it means to stay 500m behind.

Its all about your loadout. A dual Gauss & Dual Er PPC Direwolf should stay behind and spread his tons of damage as long as possible!

A AC20 Misery instead should lead a charge, be the first one coming around a corner and take the damage for the xl-jägermechs, mad dogs etc...

Thats how it is.

#66 Bolter01

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bite
  • The Bite
  • 224 posts
  • LocationAU

Posted 25 September 2015 - 12:59 AM

Just your right ball, 'Lefty' can stay ;)

#67 Torezu

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 329 posts

Posted 25 September 2015 - 09:09 AM

Repeat after me: "Timidity is not a tactic."

However...damage that misses is far better than damage absorbed by armor. I pilot my Banshees to stay in the middle of the blob, not the front, because I'm not nearly as mobile as that Enforcer (or Storm Crow), but I can lay down an awful lot more damage, for longer, in the face of incoming fire. Let the enemies miss the mediums and fast heavies rather than taking as much damage as you can.

#68 Tesunie

• The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,575 posts
  • LocationSeraphim HQ: Asuncion

Posted 25 September 2015 - 10:00 AM

View PostTorezu, on 25 September 2015 - 09:09 AM, said:

Repeat after me: "Timidity is not a tactic."

However...damage that misses is far better than damage absorbed by armor. I pilot my Banshees to stay in the middle of the blob, not the front, because I'm not nearly as mobile as that Enforcer (or Storm Crow), but I can lay down an awful lot more damage, for longer, in the face of incoming fire. Let the enemies miss the mediums and fast heavies rather than taking as much damage as you can.

"Can't kill me if you can't hit me."

#69 ATodd

• Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 27 September 2015 - 09:18 AM

We just had this assault match on the Mining Collective.
The very rectangular all-city night map.

Me in my Mauler, a DWF-Prime and two others start in left corner, middle is heavy lance, and right corner is the light lance.

Match starts and assaults angle anong our starting line towards a more central road then turn towards the enemy's side; heavies move to the middle, and lights went full speed along their line towards the enemy side.

Eventually a hostile CPLT shows up on the map, right on its spawn as our lights pass the hostile cap .. tripping the alert for the enemy. And that CPLT became active just then..

Usually when the cap lights up, the teams turn and "defend".
So that is the perfect moment to jump them. - Right?

Soon one of our lights goes splat.
Oh well. Still the distraction might have done the trick.

The dire and I were going forward at that time, and had started to fire at a MDD that was on the road ahead and trying to turn to get back to defense. :)

Sadly it did not blow up so easily. Its zig-zagging and my PPCs and AC10 did not merge too well.
Then its marker vanishes as it entered an ECM bubble. Oops1.

A look on the map: my DWF "lance mate" stopped at the last crossroad. Oops2.

Everyone else had stayed in the middle with their thumbs.. <censored>....

That's why we assaults do not lead the charge.
We will just die lonely.

#70 The Red Priest

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Clamps
  • The Clamps
  • 137 posts
  • LocationSC

Posted 27 September 2015 - 09:40 AM

I don't know how many times I've had crabs and direwhales loaded with ac/5s,ac/20s, and srms. They get shot at one, and back up. I go in with my centurion, murder the tiny light, face off against a stalker and kill him, while my teammates are just now finally poking their heads out as they see the enemy deaths go up by two. I then get ambushed by two stormcrows, barely making it out alive, and my teammates are FINALLY there, but do I hide behind them? No, because they're scared of getting their paint scratched. I go in with my 5 ac/20 rounds left and blow the face off of one of the stormcrows, and the crab next to me kills the other one, after I stripped him.

A medium mech shouldn't be getting a fourth of the kills, unless everyone else sucks.

However, I don't know how many times in my crab or banshee that I was left to die by my teammates, and I held that position as best I could until I died, because I'd die faster if I tried to run.

I was in my crab taking and giving fire with four other mechs. I was already pretty beat up, but my teammates were there. That is, until I looked at map. Turns out, all of them went to chase a light, so I stayed there, because the enemy would've killed me if I turned around. I was able to take two of the four guys down until I lost my right torso. I dropped down lower to get more cover, but still holding the line, and I see that two guys are getting reinforcements. Two hundred tons of reinforcements. Two direwhales came to their aid. I knew I was dead. I looked around my cockpit, told my teammates they were all idiots, killed one of the medium mechs, and then died by a hail of 10 c-uac/5s.

The problem isn't just on one person. This is a team-based, strategic game, and when the team doesn't cooperate, everything falls apart and dies. You can have the best assault lance in the world, but if the rest of the team leaves them to die, it doesn't matter. The issue to two-sided, and it's not just black and white.

Edited by mrripley9, 27 September 2015 - 09:51 AM.

#71 purplewasabi

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 170 posts
  • LocationMalaysia

Posted 27 September 2015 - 04:28 PM

Despite the OP being a bit one sided, I would like to be your friend. I'm often brawling in the frontlines and wouldn't mind having some company. It gets lonely in my Atlas sometimes. Just yesterday, I got flamed for being inpatient. It was in the group queue and my unit made up 2/3 of the team. We didnt have any scouts so we were basically moving in a wedge formation. I was at the front. A lance of mediums and heavies decided to hang back, and then ridiculed us despite informing them of our plan. We just shrug it off and move on to the next game. Unless PGI is willing to do some actual work to make improvements that actually gives us value, you'll just have to put up with it. Just cause what you think is right, doesn't mean others will take your word for it.

Regarding timid assaults, keep an open mind that they might be new, whether to the game or to the mech, and is probably regretting spending all that c-bills. Personally, I jumped into the Atlas chassis too early in my MWO career. I went from Jagermech to DDC and boy was I regretting it. I got 5 Atlases now, from brawlers to snipers to LRM boats :D.

#72 Alzarns Fire

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 221 posts
  • LocationNew Zealand

Posted 27 September 2015 - 06:21 PM

LRMs... on an Atlas Purple... how dare ye? Almost as bad as my LRM crab :D

Several points mentioned worth mentioning again is:

- In Solo queue be patient. Let the long range mechs trade - quite often you can get 2-3 kills up. THEN you all push and wipe out the remaining enemy
- The primary target of enemy focus fire is assaults. Rather than being at the front, put them in the middle - send lights and mediums through and around the enemy while the heavies and assaults push - the enemy will turn to engage the smaller mechs and will cop the massive assault firepower in their backs... theoretically.

#73 Moldur

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 2,232 posts

Posted 27 September 2015 - 07:26 PM

Assault pilots that rush into the fray at the beginning are wrong.

Assaults will have the longest time alive to bring their guns to bear if they go in midmatch. Before that, only targets of opportunity and little risk. Assaults can't get out of situations, they can only commit, and doing so at the beginning almost invariable results in getting focused and dying, whereas once people are at ~70% and perhaps a few are even dead, an assault can cut through several enemies without rest, and tank a lot of damage while banged up teammates help.

#74 Repasy Cooper

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 1,131 posts
  • LocationAlpheratz

Posted 27 September 2015 - 08:25 PM

I agree with OP. Fact of the matter is yes, your big assaults are valuable to the team effort and you don't want them dying quickly, BUT they are most fearsome when in their killzone, which is most certainly not at the farthest edge of the map sniping from a position where their ppc and gauss only do 1 dmg per shot.

Assaults need to be frontline. That is the best position if they want everybody else to cover them, bc that's where everybody else is.

#75 Torezu

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 329 posts

Posted 28 September 2015 - 09:00 AM

View PostMoldur, on 27 September 2015 - 07:26 PM, said:

Assault pilots that rush into the fray at the beginning are wrong.

Assaults will have the longest time alive to bring their guns to bear if they go in midmatch. Before that, only targets of opportunity and little risk. Assaults can't get out of situations, they can only commit, and doing so at the beginning almost invariable results in getting focused and dying, whereas once people are at ~70% and perhaps a few are even dead, an assault can cut through several enemies without rest, and tank a lot of damage while banged up teammates help.

I do this with the pair of Banshees I have that only use 325 STD engines. The one with the XL 400, on the other hand...it's fun to run around the front dropping LPLs into people, then leaving before they realize they just got hit by a 95t mech moving like a 70t one... :ph34r:

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users