39 replies to this topic

#21 Mad Dog Morgan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 489 posts
  • LocationOutlaw On The Run, Faster than a Stolen Gun

Posted 22 July 2015 - 11:06 PM

You can get away with two ER PPCs on the cat with the 6MG build, easily. I find that works pretty well for pinpoint with follow-up crit-city.

I'm also shaking my head at the metamechs list. All SHC variants are built the same on his page.

I mean... there's no point to writing up a build for the SHC-P Variant, or any other variants, for that matter, if they're all going to have the same boring setup.

Edited by Vaskadar, 22 July 2015 - 11:06 PM.

#22 Templar Dane

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,057 posts

Posted 22 July 2015 - 11:09 PM

View PostNUJRSYDEVIL, on 22 July 2015 - 03:34 AM, said:

UAC5 / LPL has been my only good SHC build thus far.

I've run a 2 ERLL / LRM-10 build with minor success but it seems lacking.

The only build that's actually been performing for me has been 2x ERLL and 3x LRM5, and I wouldn't exactly call that stellar.

Was hoping an UAC10 build would be good, but this mech evaporates to IS LL spam.

PS

To mason west........it's a bit of a pet peeve for me so i can't resist.........but the plural of atlas is 'atlases'.

Edited by lordtzar, 22 July 2015 - 11:10 PM.

#23 Autologus

• PipPipPip
  • The Howl
  • The Howl
  • 60 posts

Posted 23 July 2015 - 03:47 AM

I missed out on the early adopter and did not get the P model, will there be any other way to get the P model?

#24 Shadey99

• The Tip of the Spear
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • 1,241 posts

Posted 23 July 2015 - 04:02 AM

View PostAutologus, on 23 July 2015 - 03:47 AM, said:

I missed out on the early adopter and did not get the P model, will there be any other way to get the P model?

Eventually those of us who missed the P will at least be able to buy the omnipods, possibly even before they are generally available. Personally since you can't buy the pods without having a SHC to begin with... I wish they just let us buy all four types now, though not doing so retains extra 'exclusivity' for such designs.

#25 Atlai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,439 posts
  • Locationfrom the East of the South end of the North

Posted 23 July 2015 - 08:28 AM

View Postlordtzar, on 22 July 2015 - 11:09 PM, said:

To mason west........it's a bit of a pet peeve for me so i can't resist.........but the plural of atlas is 'atlases'.

You're new around here huh? Lol jk.

I know that's the correct plural, but back in beta a few years ago a friend and I were playing Jenners (One of only two lights in game at the time) and we crested a hill to run into a few Atlas. Back then, an Atlas was actually a scary mech, so we freaked out. Over Teamspeak I tried to warn my friend, but I messed up the English and said, "Look out for the Atlai!"

After we got away, my friend asked me over TS, "Atlai?" He asked. I replied that I didn't know, but that it sounded pretty cool. So we kinda trolled the forums for a few months trying to get everyone on the idea.

Example

#26 Luscious Dan

• The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 1,146 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationEdmonton, AB

Posted 23 July 2015 - 01:20 PM

View PostVaskadar, on 22 July 2015 - 11:06 PM, said:

You can get away with two ER PPCs on the cat with the 6MG build, easily. I find that works pretty well for pinpoint with follow-up crit-city.

I'm also shaking my head at the metamechs list. All SHC variants are built the same on his page.

I mean... there's no point to writing up a build for the SHC-P Variant, or any other variants, for that matter, if they're all going to have the same boring setup.

I didn't check the lists on Metamechs until you mention it. Yeah, his tier lists are pretty generic, as they are generally mechs optimized to run with mechs built the same way. Kind of a feedback loop there.

The mastery guides are much more in depth, and provide a variety of builds for different playstyles. Those are the articles of his that I really like, I mean many of the builds I've come up with myself (or made something that works better for my skillset and preferences), but there's often some gems in the mastery guides that you might have missed otherwise. I look forward to his guides for the new mechs more than the Tier updates.

Anyway, I did find a second Shadow Cat build on his site. He has a 3xERLL/ECM version listed using some A variant arms for the quirks, not just the cloned 2xLPL/ERML/ECM variants seen elsewhere. I do like many of the 2xLPL builds for the Shadow Cat, but they aren't the most fun for some reason. I have really come to like the UAC10 too much.

For what it's worth, my single game in the A variant with ERPPC and 2xMPL was a pretty easy carry. Crimson Strait, Assault, and the enemy seemed to have a lot of cowering brawlers on the platform, too scared to come out against the long range harassers our team was loaded with.

Killed 2 mechs harassing from the saddle, while the main group went tunnel. Then fell back to kill a light who got through to our base, then went back and mopped up two more on the platform. Could have had another kill or two, but someone snuck in the last shot on someone I was working over. 6,200XP in the first ever match for that variant, which unlocked like half the basic skills. Promising start, and runs a bit cooler than I had expected (certainly cooler than my SRM-based builds, which seems odd). Was firing the PPC seemingly constantly, and still able to add MPL barrages when the opportunity presented itself.

I need more practice with the ER PPC, and even without any quirks for it this mech seems like a good one for my playstyle.

Edited by Luscious Dan, 23 July 2015 - 01:21 PM.

#27 Phlinger

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 595 posts

Posted 23 July 2015 - 02:35 PM

On my road to Shadowcat mastery, I played around with a bunch of builds so far. UAC/10 and 2 ML's, did okay I guess. Gauss and ML's, meh. The mech really didn't shine for me until I swapped tactics and started using my old Shadowhawk/Splathawk builds with it. By that I mean missiles and lasers.

Started with 3 SRM 6's and 2 MPL's and did really well, then I swapped it to 3 SSRM 6's and 2 ML's and haven't looked back.

I have another one loaded that I want to try out as well that ditches the ECM to place a UAC/5 in the left torso. The whole loadout will be UAC/5, 2 SRM 6's, and 3 ML's. The only problem is the ammo, unless I downgrade the SRM's to 4's, then no problem at all.

#28 Luscious Dan

• The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 1,146 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationEdmonton, AB

Posted 23 July 2015 - 02:49 PM

View PostRonyn, on 23 July 2015 - 02:35 PM, said:

On my road to Shadowcat mastery, I played around with a bunch of builds so far. UAC/10 and 2 ML's, did okay I guess. Gauss and ML's, meh. The mech really didn't shine for me until I swapped tactics and started using my old Shadowhawk/Splathawk builds with it. By that I mean missiles and lasers.

Started with 3 SRM 6's and 2 MPL's and did really well, then I swapped it to 3 SSRM 6's and 2 ML's and haven't looked back.

I have another one loaded that I want to try out as well that ditches the ECM to place a UAC/5 in the left torso. The whole loadout will be UAC/5, 2 SRM 6's, and 3 ML's. The only problem is the ammo, unless I downgrade the SRM's to 4's, then no problem at all.

Sounds interesting, if you're willing (or have enough mouse buttons) to chain fire then you could be a bit of a buzz saw with the SRM4s and UAC5. I'm starting to like the regular SRMs on the Shadow Cat for now, at least until the ECM frenzy dies down a bit. Some matches, half a team or more has ECM up so missile locks are wishful thinking.

#29 N a p e s

• The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 1,688 posts
  • LocationQuebec

Posted 23 July 2015 - 09:15 PM

New favorite build!

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...4324d8ce9b70d25

#30 Wildstreak

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 5,154 posts

Posted 24 July 2015 - 08:12 AM

View PostShadey99, on 23 July 2015 - 04:02 AM, said:

Eventually those of us who missed the P will at least be able to buy the omnipods, possibly even before they are generally available. Personally since you can't buy the pods without having a SHC to begin with... I wish they just let us buy all four types now, though not doing so retains extra 'exclusivity' for such designs.

They do not allow P Pods or any 4th variant for current Clan Mech owners because then it would ask why buy early for the 4th variant. Even those of us who have the 4th variant suffer from it, I would love to have more Cheetah-C RTs for the quirk, Executioner-D torsos for weapon options and Scat-P RAs for Ballistic performance, Legs depend on Mech. Only the lack of Ebon-C pods do not bother me.

#31 Phlinger

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 595 posts

Posted 24 July 2015 - 11:53 AM

View PostWildstreak, on 24 July 2015 - 08:12 AM, said:

They do not allow P Pods or any 4th variant for current Clan Mech owners because then it would ask why buy early for the 4th variant. Even those of us who have the 4th variant suffer from it, I would love to have more Cheetah-C RTs for the quirk, Executioner-D torsos for weapon options and Scat-P RAs for Ballistic performance, Legs depend on Mech. Only the lack of Ebon-C pods do not bother me.

Yeah, even the ones that Pre-Ordered cannot buy additional Shadowcat-P Omni-Pods. Sucks. I have to pull them off whatever mech I have them on and remember where they are currently just in case I want to use them later for something else. I agree that they should be available to purchase for MC or maybe even C-Bills on release day for those that DID buy a pack but did not pre-order in the first month. First Monthers should simply get them for free, but they should still be made available to the rest.

#32 Shadey99

• The Tip of the Spear
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • 1,241 posts

Posted 24 July 2015 - 01:10 PM

View PostWildstreak, on 24 July 2015 - 08:12 AM, said:

They do not allow P Pods or any 4th variant for current Clan Mech owners because then it would ask why buy early for the 4th variant.

I'd still buy it for a 'free' extra variant I don't need to pay for... Not to mention an extra mech bay...That is a solid bonus. Though I know PGI fears anything that hurts their bottom line. More so if it's the least bit complex (or at least seems so). If more omnis had torso specific quirks this would be less of an issue anyways...

#33 AncientRaig

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Guardian
  • Guardian
  • 584 posts

Posted 01 August 2015 - 11:41 AM

Honestly, you can build a good Shadow Cat without messing around with stock omnipods all that much. Here's two that I'm currently running and loving:

First off, the Ultra Cat: http://mwo.smurfy-ne...28242b867cc7fde Pretty simple build, replaces the Gauss with a UAC-5, AP with AMS, and puts a few DHS on for better heat management. Not going to be an insane damage dealer, but it's good for sniping and support brawlling. First match got me 2 kills and over 2k xp on this build. You could put a larger UAC on, but anything bigger has you losing the AMS, some heat efficiency, and some ammo. Even going up to a UAC-10 can make cooling down a nightmare on maps like Terra Therma, and the slower ROF and inability to heavily use the ERMLs relegates you to a second-line roll.

Secondly, the Smart Tart: http://mwo.smurfy-ne...010e39f3e1f76cb Now, I know what you're thinking. "Hey! That's just a stock SHC-A with the SSRM-6 changed to an SRM-6! How is that good?!" Well, let me explain. This build is the Clanner Raven with an SRM-6. It snipes, it brawls, it hits and runs, it poptarts, hell it'll wash your car(Warning, does not actually wash cars). The ER-LL, even with the cooldown buffs that the SHC-A quirks give you, runs very cool. The speed lets you get around where you're needed, or get out of trouble if things go horribly wrong.

Edited by Sidefire, 01 August 2015 - 11:51 AM.

#34 ArchSight

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 492 posts

Posted 02 August 2015 - 02:50 PM

Made some optimized quirked out builds for each Shadow Cat variant. There all intended to do a lot of damage in a short amount of time. Of course, I switched a few pods.

Engagement Range: Close-Medium
SHC-Prime: 5% Ballistic Range(Or the Right Arm-P with 3% cool down), 5% ER Laser Cool Down, ECM (Or more C-UAC20 AMMO), C-Ultra AC 20, Three C-UAC20 Ammo, Two ER Small Lasers,
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...ccc3690c6b051bb

Engagement Range: Long
SHC-A: -5% ER Laser duration, -5% ER Laser Heat Generation, ECM, Three ER Large Lasers, Four Double Heat Sinks
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...9d047440b0b264d

Engagement Range: Close
SHC-B: -6% SRM 6 Spread, 5% Missile Cool Down, ECM, Two ER Medium Lasers, Three SRM6 Artemis, Double Heat Sink, Five SRM6 Artemis Ammo
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...8cb2eec1ca72e02

Engagement Range: Medium
SHC-P: -5% ER Laser Duration, -5% ER Laser Heat Generation, Three ER Medium Lasers, C-Ultra AC 10, Double Heat Sink, Three C-UAC10 Ammo
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...86664ee357374c7

Edited by ArchSight, 03 August 2015 - 04:11 PM.

#35 Grammer Pollice

• PipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 23 posts

Posted 03 August 2015 - 07:32 PM

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...bfc0cdd1cfe2b6b

That's what I'm going to jump on once it's released to us peasants, 2 LPLs, 2 DHSs, and the full electronics package, ECM, BAP, and a TC1.

#36 JonahGrimm

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 166 posts

Posted 03 August 2015 - 08:12 PM

So far, this is my favorite SHC - SHC-B

This thing never fails to net me at least four hundred damage a game, and results in tons of kills and supporting effects. I can't reccomend it highly enough.

If you find the SRM ammo isn't enough, swap the DHS for another ton. however, that lonely DHS makes a startling difference in your cooldown rates for the ERPPC.

#37 UtaraptorRed

Rookie

• Point Commander
  • 7 posts

Posted 19 August 2015 - 11:38 PM

I'm sorry for stupid question, but is it possible to remove a fist from Shadowcat's left hand? It really grind my gear

#38 ArchSight

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 492 posts

Posted 20 August 2015 - 12:29 AM

Uncheck the box that says hand actuator. If removed it doesn't take up one slot but removes something that has to do with arm cross hair movement.

#39 NameNotAvailable

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 82 posts

Posted 26 August 2015 - 03:11 AM

I bought the Shadowcat and Arctic Cheetah package on pre-order. Wow did that teach me a lesson. ShadowCat is hands down the worst mech I've played in this game, and I paid real money for it, won't be doing that again any time soon.

it could be a good/great mech, but the fixed huge number of jump jets cripples it. For gods sake PGI let us take some of them out at least, 6 is WAY too many, make it so that only 2 are fixed, the cat desperately needs more useable tonnage.

Secondly the MASC? so dissapointing. I can see it being very handy on an assault, and possibly a heavy, but on a fast medium, it's a negligible 10kph turbo. Again, the 2? tons wasted on this would be infinitely better for almost anything else.

I'm about 2k away from mastering my scat prime, at which point it will be stripped of all modules and weapons and dumped on the "maybe they'll fix it someday" pile. The B and C varities were sold the instant basics completed.

I've tried every build on this forum. FWIW 2 large pulses and 2srm4 seems to be the least sh*t.

This mech is way more squishy than any light i've played too, wtf pgi?

#40 PaeuxP22

• PipPipPip
  • The Boombox
  • The Boombox
  • 77 posts

Posted 26 August 2015 - 06:46 AM

If your using masc for the top speed boost your using it (IMHO) incorrectly. It's great for changing direction esp forward/reverse. There are a lot worse mechs out there but I agree while this is a tough mech to use, I would still take it over the ice fridge any day.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users