#1 CycKath

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,575 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationSE QLD, Australia

Posted 24 July 2015 - 07:39 AM

Tabletop game is bitten the bullet and is properly redoing the Unseen in time for lots of historical titles:
http://bg.battletech...dthree-two-one/

REIMAGINING THE CLASSICS

The re-designing of the unseen BattleMechs that was accomplished as part of Project Phoenix was the right option at that time. It ensured those BattleMechs were usable by the community in both Technical Readouts and miniatures form as we thoroughly explored the unfolding plot lines of the Jihad Era.
However, as FanPro—and then Catalyst—continued to exploring the full breadth of the BattleTech history in Historical, Era and Field Manual sourcebooks, it became more apparent that the solution that worked so well for post-3067 left the ’Mech berths empty for previous time periods, especially the Succession Wars. After years of weighing the pros and cons, we’ve made the decision to not just dip our toes in the pool, but to leap into the deep end: straight out of the DropShips into a hot LZ!
We’ve spent the last half-year re-imagining the unseen BattleMechs that will always be one of the hallmarks of BattleTech. Our goal during all of this remains to merge 21st Century sensibilities with the classic lines that make those ’Mechs so near and dear to all of us.
As part of this announcement you’ll see two covers that feature the results of this extensive work, as well as a render to start proof-of-concept miniatures production. In the coming weeks and months we’ll be rolling out more covers and sketches to show all the work that’s been merged into this amazing project.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Click the link and see an even more amazing preview image...

Posted Image

Edited by CycKath, 24 July 2015 - 07:48 AM.

#2 Tennex

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 6,619 posts

Posted 24 July 2015 - 07:40 AM

What does this mean for us?

#3 Alan Davion

• The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 2,333 posts

Posted 24 July 2015 - 07:41 AM

~Y~E~S~

View PostTennex, on 24 July 2015 - 07:40 AM, said:

It means that, if they can tweak these new designs to keep them under HG's radar, we can have our Warhammers and Marauders.

Edited by Alan Davion, 24 July 2015 - 07:43 AM.

#4 CycKath

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,575 posts
  • LocationSE QLD, Australia

Posted 24 July 2015 - 07:42 AM

Too early to say, CGL only just announced it less than an hour ago.

#5 Tennex

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 6,619 posts

Posted 24 July 2015 - 07:46 AM

View PostAlan Davion, on 24 July 2015 - 07:41 AM, said:

It means that, if they can tweak these new designs to keep them under HG's radar, we can have our Warhammers and Marauders.

I dunno if it guarantee all that. But at least it will mean if PGI does dive into this they will have the backing of Catalyst games

View PostCycKath, on 24 July 2015 - 07:39 AM, said:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Real talk. How small do you think those PPC arms will actually be if they end up in our game tho.

#6 0bsidion

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,653 posts

I don't know, but man, it's always nice to see the Marauder again
Posted Image

#7 Spheroid

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,061 posts
  • LocationSouthern Wisconsin

They would need long barreled PPCs or it would look extremely bad with MWO's modular weapon system.

#8 Tennex

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 6,619 posts

Posted 24 July 2015 - 07:48 AM

View Post0bsidion, on 24 July 2015 - 07:46 AM, said:

I don't know, but man, it's always nice to see the Marauder again
Posted Image

I personally don't mind this version

Posted Image

#9 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 24 July 2015 - 07:55 AM

I'm...gonna cry, looking at the WHM.

Amazing how Unseen close they are..... I always went further away because HG boogeyman. Wonder what has changed?

#10 0bsidion

• 1,653 posts

View PostTennex, on 24 July 2015 - 07:48 AM, said:

Posted Image

It's OK, I guess, but if PGI announced preorders for the unseen version? I'd buy it the instant the option went up. I don't even care if it turned out to be the worst translation from TT yet, I'd run it just about every day if I could.

#11 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

View PostTennex, on 24 July 2015 - 07:48 AM, said:

Posted Image

It's good, but still a better MAD.II IMO, as the MAD should not be bulky looking.

#12 Narcissistic Martyr

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 4,242 posts
  • LocationLouisville, KY

Posted 24 July 2015 - 07:58 AM

PGI would have to license them from the owners of the TT intellectual property. However, unlike HG, Catalyst is likely to consider cutting a deal with microsoft to possibly exchange the rights to use each other's mech designs. If something like that were come to pass and since it's a good deal for all involved I can't see why it wouldn't, we might see these designs in MWO and maybe MWO designs as TT pieces. I'd start buying minis again if that came to pass. As is I'm still using my minis from the 90s.

#13 Murphy7

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,553 posts
  • LocationAttleboro, MA

Posted 24 July 2015 - 07:59 AM

I sense a disturbance in my wallet.

More to the point, if this were to come to pass in MWO, I couldn't throw my money at them fast enough.

#14 Alan Davion

• The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 2,333 posts

Posted 24 July 2015 - 08:01 AM

View PostNarcissistic Martyr, on 24 July 2015 - 07:58 AM, said:

PGI would have to license them from the owners of the TT intellectual property. However, unlike HG, Catalyst is likely to consider cutting a deal with microsoft to possibly exchange the rights to use each other's mech designs. If something like that were come to pass and since it's a good deal for all involved I can't see why it wouldn't, we might see these designs in MWO and maybe MWO designs as TT pieces. I'd start buying minis again if that came to pass. As is I'm still using my minis from the 90s.

Now that's an idea I could get behind... And I'm not exactly a religious type of person, but I'd seriously pray that this happens.

I'd actually look into buying Battletech minis if they do all the Unseen/Reseen like this. I've bought into the Robotech RPG Tactics and the Heavy Gear mini kickstarters, and I'd buy into this one too if they go that route.

View PostMurphy7, on 24 July 2015 - 07:59 AM, said:

I sense a disturbance in my wallet.

More to the point, if this were to come to pass in MWO, I couldn't throw my money at them fast enough.

I couldn't agree more.

Edited by Alan Davion, 24 July 2015 - 08:01 AM.

#15 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 24 July 2015 - 08:04 AM

I am Twitterpating Russ as we speak. All Twitter account owners and users, unite for the Unseen! And those who aren't because of some "reasons" man up and make the sacrifice for the cause. Using twitter doesn't revoke your man card.

#16 Kiiyor

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 5,564 posts
  • LocationSCIENCE.

Posted 24 July 2015 - 08:05 AM

View PostCycKath, on 24 July 2015 - 07:42 AM, said:

Too early to say, CGL only just announced it less than an hour ago.

*deep breath*

HG are probably assembling their cadre of lawyers, feeding them with the souls of particularly cute puppies after bathing them in the blood of the innocent, so that their dark lord l̝͈͡a̶ẉ͈̮̻͙̬̰s̤̥͉u̟̩i̶̲t̳̺̠̦̭͜ can be awoken and shepherded into battle to wring every last penny out of everyone using a license they probably don't have a claim to anyway.

#17 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationMallanhold, Furillo

Posted 24 July 2015 - 08:07 AM

View PostCycKath, on 24 July 2015 - 07:39 AM, said:

Tabletop game is bitten the bullet and is properly redoing the Unseen in time for lots of historical titles:
http://bg.battletech...dthree-two-one/

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Oh That is drop dead SEXY!

#18 Alan Davion

• The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 2,333 posts

Posted 24 July 2015 - 08:09 AM

Also, on a related subject, if the remaining unseen did come to MWO, how do you all think the Stinger/Wasp/Valkyrie would be handled? I imagine they'd need some serious hard-point inflation to be useful.

I mean, in all seriousness the Stinger/Wasp/Valkyrie and Locust are probably some of the weakest light mechs in the game.

The Stinger has only a Medium laser and 2 machine guns, while the Wasp only has a Medium laser and an SRM2. As it is the Wasp wouldn't really work very well because the SRM would have to be relocated from the leg to the chest in order to be used... Unless you want to stand still in order to fire it, and really, who would stand still?

The Stinger could probably be a decent mech, same with the Valkyrie, the Wasp is really the only serious outlier.

#19 Jeb

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 441 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationHalifax

Posted 24 July 2015 - 08:09 AM

sweet if we eventually do get them :) now if only they will fix the stubby weapon virus that seems to have infected their designs...

#20 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 24 July 2015 - 08:11 AM

View PostKiiyor, on 24 July 2015 - 08:05 AM, said:

*deep breath*

HG are probably assembling their cadre of lawyers, feeding them with the souls of particularly cute puppies after bathing them in the blood of the innocent, so that their dark lord l̝͈͡a̶ẉ͈̮̻͙̬̰s̤̥͉u̟̩i̶̲t̳̺̠̦̭͜ can be awoken and shepherded into battle to wring every last penny out of everyone using a license they probably don't have a claim to anyway.

well, am already downloading my Beta PDF, lol

Cant wait for the TRO though....but that Battlemaster is a proper Battlemaster!

Edited by Bishop Steiner, 24 July 2015 - 08:14 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users