- - - - -

Ok, What Gives

118 replies to this topic

#1 Project Purification

Rookie

• 8 posts

Posted 06 August 2015 - 10:40 AM

So as a guy who wants to play in Clan wars, how in the world am I supposed to buy anything? I started playing yesterday, and after the beginner perks wore off I've averaged about 80k a fight.

I don't have time to play for 12 hours a day to be able to get the mechs I want, and while I'd be more than willing to pull out ye' ol' card to do it is this just another pay-to-win game?

What's more in order to get to higher levels of efficency I have to have 3 varients of the same type, I have been playing for about 4 hours and barely have 2 million.

This game is rapidly approaching gutter even with how good it looks. It's one thing to have the option, but another thing entirely to feel like I don't even have a choice.

#2 Lugh

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Widow Maker
  • The Widow Maker
  • 3,910 posts

Posted 06 August 2015 - 10:41 AM

View PostProject Purification, on 06 August 2015 - 10:38 AM, said:

So as a guy who wants to play in Clan wars, how in the world am I supposed to buy anything? I started playing yesterday, and after the beginner perks wore off I've averaged about 80k a fight.

I don't have time to play for 12 hours a day to be able to get the mechs I want, and while I'd be more than willing to pull out ye' ol' card to do it is this just another pay-to-win game?

There is no pay to win in MWO.

You may pay to buy the same mechs you want NOW, rather than grinding out those CBILLS over time. But you and the cheap FROOB that refuses to pay will be on the same footing.

#3 CDLord HHGD

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,190 posts
  • Location"You're not comp if you're not stock."

Posted 06 August 2015 - 10:44 AM

It's not pay to win. You either put in the time or the money (or like many of us, both). The cbill grind is one thing that many people are concerned with, you are not alone.

As for mechs, I hear they are re-doing the skill trees etc, so it could change, though not likely. My advice, if you want to give this game more of a chance and don't mind putting down some cash, take a look at the mech mastery packs. I play Inner Sphere myself so not too sure about what the Clans have available (maybe a clanner can chime in?), but overall the mastery packs are a good buy.

#4 0bsidion

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,653 posts

Posted 06 August 2015 - 10:45 AM

No, it's not pay to win. It is pay to get things faster though. Otherwise, you're just going to have to be patient and grind away. There's also events, like the current one, that will help you get C-bills faster as well as some other nice rewards. The trick is scoring your 30 match points.

#5 KharnZor

• Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 3,584 posts
  • LocationBrisbane, Queensland

Posted 06 August 2015 - 10:46 AM

No, it isnt pay to win.
Spring for some premium time, that will help speed things along nicely.
Also check the new player section here on the forums. theres all sorts of hints and tips t be had there

#6 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 06 August 2015 - 10:47 AM

As long as the NPE continues onward like this, threads like these spawn indefinitely.

Not everyone embraces the Paulconomy.

#7 Gas Guzzler

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 14,256 posts
  • LocationCalifornia Central Coast

Posted 06 August 2015 - 10:47 AM

View PostProject Purification, on 06 August 2015 - 10:40 AM, said:

What's more in order to get to higher levels of efficency I have to have 3 varients of the same type, I have been playing for about 4 hours and barely have 2 million.

This game is rapidly approaching gutter even with how good it looks. It's one thing to have the option, but another thing entirely to feel like I don't even have a choice.

It might be worth it to purchase one of the mastery packs to get you started.

Check the link in my signature for a guide to CW, it is a nice overview and has some suggested mechs/loadouts.

While you can get the best mechs in the game for free if you put forth the time, at the beginning when you only have a limited choice of mechs to choose from, this can be very daunting.

What did you spend your cadet bonus on?

#8 KharnZor

• Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 3,584 posts

Posted 06 August 2015 - 10:49 AM

View PostDeathlike, on 06 August 2015 - 10:47 AM, said:

As long as the NPE continues onward like this, threads like these spawn indefinitely.

Not everyone embraces the Paulconomy.

But some have learned to live with it.
It sucks :(

#9 Project Purification

Rookie

• 8 posts

Posted 06 August 2015 - 10:49 AM

If they had had clan mastery packs I would have bought one. They don't. I spent my cadet bonus on a mad dog, and I'm mad at myself :P

#10 Gas Guzzler

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 14,256 posts

Posted 06 August 2015 - 10:50 AM

It is also worth noting that you just have to get 3 variants with basics unlocked, then you can sell the ones you don't want if you really don't like them, but usually elect to keep them.

Also, your average winnings per match will definitely increase as you get better.

#11 lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 918 posts

Posted 06 August 2015 - 10:51 AM

View PostKharnZor, on 06 August 2015 - 10:49 AM, said:

But some have learned to live with it.
It sucks :(

in·ure
əˈn(y)o͝or/
verb
past tense: inured; past participle: inured
accustom (someone) to something, especially something unpleasant.

#12 Absurdia

• PipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 41 posts

Well all i ever paid for was mechbays, and i got around 30+ mechs in about 10 months i think? Premium time and awards from events, and getting better over time (120k+ plus a game maybe) helps a lot. Just dont waste your starting money get something you like. True i played a lot when i started, but cbills stack up at some point and learn to love lights and mediums.

#13 Gas Guzzler

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 14,256 posts

View PostProject Purification, on 06 August 2015 - 10:49 AM, said:

If they had had clan mastery packs I would have bought one. They don't. I spent my cadet bonus on a mad dog, and I'm mad at myself :P

Ah... yeah I would have suggested a Hellbringer or Stormcrow. Timber Wolf is the best but a little more pricey i believe.

#14 Project Purification

Rookie

• 8 posts

Posted 06 August 2015 - 10:53 AM

View PostGas Guzzler, on 06 August 2015 - 10:51 AM, said:

Ah... yeah I would have suggested a Hellbringer or Stormcrow. Timber Wolf is the best but a little more pricey i believe.

I was sad when I didn't see a mad cat in the clan line up. Then someone told me... Yeah... Timber Wolf.

I had just bought my mech. I looked at it like it did something wrong.

#15 CDLord HHGD

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,190 posts

Posted 06 August 2015 - 10:56 AM

View PostProject Purification, on 06 August 2015 - 10:53 AM, said:

I was sad when I didn't see a mad cat in the clan line up. Then someone told me... Yeah... Timber Wolf.

I had just bought my mech. I looked at it like it did something wrong.

The MDD is a fine mech. What's your playstyle? I'll volunteer to put something together for you in Smurphy's to try.

#16 0bsidion

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,653 posts

Posted 06 August 2015 - 10:56 AM

View PostProject Purification, on 06 August 2015 - 10:49 AM, said:

Well, if you can afford it, the Mad Cat collection is one of the better ones. https://mwomercs.com/clans It's essentially a Clan Mastery pack that gives you a ton of mechs, as well as warhorn cockpit items. Wave III EBJ collection would be my second recommendation, it's cheaper and the Ebon is one of the better Clan heavies, though not as forgiving as the Timberwolf.

#17 CDLord HHGD

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,190 posts

Posted 06 August 2015 - 10:58 AM

View Post0bsidion, on 06 August 2015 - 10:56 AM, said:

Well, if you can afford it, the Mad Cat collection is one of the better ones. https://mwomercs.com/clans It's essentially a Clan Mastery pack that gives you a ton of mechs, as well as warhorn cockpit items. Wave III EBJ collection would be my second recommendation, it's cheaper and the Ebon is one of the better Clan heavies, though not as forgiving as the Timberwolf.

Yeah, hadn't thought of that. Al la carte pack is essentially a mastery pack... Cheers!

#18 Speedy Plysitkos

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,460 posts
  • LocationMech Junkyard

Posted 06 August 2015 - 10:59 AM

there is endless GRIND in mwo... you are welcome.

#19 Tarogato

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 6,558 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 06 August 2015 - 10:59 AM

Lugh and the others are right. You can pay to skip the grind, but there's no pay to win in MWO. The grind is not really any different in MWO than it is in WoWs, WoT, etc etc. The different being, in MWO, you can buy any mechs in any order you want, in WoT, etc, you're stuck grinding through each tier to get to the top, and some of the tanks/ships you go through are absolutely terrible (see M3 Lee, USS Colorado... )

80k per match is pretty good. Aim for 100k - once you're there, you're in a good place as far as earning.

It takes a long time to learn the game and get good at it, so concentrate on improving your skills and having fun and you'll suddenly have more C-Bills than you need. It'll take quite a few days, though.

#20 KharnZor

• Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 3,584 posts

Posted 06 August 2015 - 11:01 AM

View PostTitannium, on 06 August 2015 - 10:59 AM, said:

there is endless GRIND in mwo... you are welcome.

Might be an endless grind but its also pretty easy once you've figured out how to maximize your cbills per match.

4 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users