- - - - -

Wave One A La Carte: Which Second 'mech Should I Get?

Help Me Question

8 replies to this topic

#1 AncientRaig

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Guardian
  • Guardian
  • 584 posts

Posted 09 August 2015 - 01:34 PM

Alright, so I heard from somewhere on the forums, while looking up information on the new Champion TBR-C, that I can still get Prime Invasion Clan 'mechs with the unique geometry, skin, and C-Bill bonus if I go buy a pack or get them through the A La Carte system. I'm rabidly in love with the T-Wolves, and would love to be able to run a C-Bill bonus with them, so I've already decided on getting them, but since I don't have 200 bucks to dole out, I'm doing A La Carte. Now, I also want to get a second 'mech, as I can afford it, but I don't know which 'mech to get. The Warhawk and Dire Wolf are definitely out, as I hate playing assault 'mechs, and I've heard that the Summoner is an utter **** and can't do anything that the Timber Wolf can't do better, so I don't see a point in it. Any suggestions?

#2 zudukai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Trinary Star Captain
  • Trinary Star Captain
  • 1,707 posts

Posted 09 August 2015 - 02:13 PM

the summoner is not utter s#!+, but is far more limited in it's ability VS the timber, and if you are not used to playing jumpjets to their strength then yeah, it might be s#!+, for you.

my suggestion would be either Storm Crows, since they are very powerful, and have good hit boxes on top of 107kph.

the War Hawk is another strong option with some very powerful builds and 71kph.

and lastly i guess i would recommend the Dire Wolf, for balls out firepower at the expense of all speed and maneuverability, if you like that kind of thing.

#3 AncientRaig

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Guardian
  • Guardian
  • 584 posts

Posted 09 August 2015 - 02:18 PM

View Postzudukai, on 09 August 2015 - 02:13 PM, said:

the summoner is not utter s#!+, but is far more limited in it's ability VS the timber, and if you are not used to playing jumpjets to their strength then yeah, it might be s#!+, for you.

my suggestion would be either Storm Crows, since they are very powerful, and have good hit boxes on top of 107kph.

the War Hawk is another strong option with some very powerful builds and 71kph.

and lastly i guess i would recommend the Dire Wolf, for balls out firepower at the expense of all speed and maneuverability, if you like that kind of thing.

I've heard otherwise about the Summoner, simply because of it's extremely limited hardpoints, but I personally have nothing against the 'mech. Not saying it's bad in everyone's hands, but I rarely see them around. Then again, I rarely see Dragons around, and the Dragon is the only IS 'mech I ever run any more because it's just so much fun.

I was heavily considering the Stormcrow, but I wasn't too sure about it over the Nova or one of the lights. And I previously mentioned that I'm not a huge fan of assaults. Too slow, too big, not enough serious protection on their hulls in this game to make them fun and viable for me.

#4 Commodore Perspicuous

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 103 posts

Posted 09 August 2015 - 02:31 PM

In my opinion, Summoners are player dependent. If you are ok with less punch but a little more mobility and armor, you can do just fine in them. If you don't feel comfortable being limited in your build options, then they are not a good choice. As for Crows vs. Novas, you really can't go wrong with Crows. Ton for ton, one of the most efficient and effective mechs in the game. The Nova can be strong right now, but that depends on niche builds (e.g. lots of small lasers). The Crow is much more forgiving and has more options. In the end, I would strongly suggest picking up the Crows, especially if you are going to drop real money.

#5 zudukai

• Trinary Star Captain
  • Trinary Star Captain
  • 1,707 posts

Posted 09 August 2015 - 05:44 PM

basically what's been said, Nva VS Src, both can be played to devastating effect, but really take advantage of the nova, you need to use the jump jets, and those are definitely a situational advantage, where as the 'Crow, will pretty much always be like the timber a feared (read= high priority) target.

nova and summoner can poptart the best, is pretty much what i was trying to convey, if you are into that sort of play, the timber can to a large degree also, if you dedicate as much as the summoner has to flying, yet still all the aggro.

you will not be dis-satisfied with the storm crow, unlike the nova which can be disappointing at times. (one shot meltdowns are a thing)

the Warhawk is surprisingly mobile for an assault while still bringing around the hurt, and can tank again surprisingly well if you can roll off damage, however it falls short of the bar because of it's hard locked side torso heat syncs limiting build placement.

#6 SnagaDance

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 1,860 posts
  • LocationThe Netherlands

Posted 10 August 2015 - 12:06 AM

The Nova can be surprising as people tend to underestimate it. But when using a Nova you really need to spend that 0.5 tons to max. the leg armor. It's rather easy to leg otherwise.

#7 Rogue Jedi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 10 August 2015 - 07:21 AM

You said you so not like assaults, and I would not recomend the Wave 1 Lights, that leaves the Nova or Stormcrow,

the Nova moves at 81/89KPH, has a lot of Jumpjets and has up-to 16 hardpoints, however if you try to fill all 16 you will run extremely hot, and if you alpha strike with 12 lasers you will shut down

the Stormcrow moves at 97/107KPH and is (compared to the Nova) faster, more agile, has more pod space (tonnage for weapons) and a better range of hardpoints. the downsides are that as the Stormcrow is arguably the second best Mech in the game, after the Timber Wolf, and most players know this so the Stormcrow is a high priority target (the Timber Wolf and some assaults are the only higher priority targets), and it cannot fit Jumpjets

edit: I made an iditoic mistake and gave the SCR a 110% speed increase for speed tweak, now fixed,

also if you are thinking of getting the Nova alccarte think about getting the Black Hawk pack for an extra $5, it includes the Kit Fox as well

Edited by Rogue Jedi, 10 August 2015 - 11:22 AM.

#8 Stickjock

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 2,687 posts
  • LocationPetal, MS

Posted 10 August 2015 - 11:07 AM

View PostRogue Jedi, on 10 August 2015 - 07:21 AM, said:

You said you so not like assaults, and I would not recomend the Wave 1 Lights, that leaves the Nova or Stormcrow,

the Nova moves at 81/89KPH, has a lot of Jumpjets and has up-to 16 hardpoints, however if you try to fill all 16 you will run extremely hot, and if you alpha strike with 12 lasers you will shut down

the Stormcrow moves at 97/207KPH and is (compared to the Nova) faster, more agile, has more pod space (tonnage for weapons) and a better range of hardpoints. the downsides are that as the Stormcrow is arguably the second best Mech in the game, after the Timber Wolf, and most players know this so the Stormcrow is a high priority target (the Timber Wolf and some assaults are the only higher priority targets), and it cannot fit Jumpjets

^^ This...

Had the Nova originally... absolutely love it... leveled mine up using 6xERMLasers (3 per arm) and 4xMG's... some laugh about the MG's but have had a few battles where I've gotten a few kills with just the MG's after my arms where taken out... She's tough beast... try the 12xERSmall's and it can be a lot of fun as well...

Stormcrows I picked up later... and wow... it's a 50/50 split as to which one is my favorite... Medium Mechs are what I tend to pilot most often as well... and these two?? You cant' go wrong either way...

Good luck and let us know what you picked up!!

#9 Aggravated Assault Mech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 825 posts
  • Locationlocation location

Posted 13 August 2015 - 12:52 AM

Summoner has received a lot of help with quirks and IMO a lot of the bad reputation is a product of direct comparison to the TBR that's happened since it was released. The two aren't entirely comparable anymore since quirks have made the Summoner fit into niche roles- obviously being an actual real poptart, as well as boating streaks or SRMs as you prefer.

If you try to play a Summoner like TBR you'll probably be disappointed since it's just going to have worse firepower, convergence, and armor. It does have its advantages now, though.

Of Wave 1, the Stormcrow is probably the best choice as the most competitive, and the Summoner or Nova after that if you really like jump jets.

I'll just mention that the Ebon Jaguar or Hellbringer packs are the best a la carte options if you don't restrict yourself to Wave 1.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users