Want To Learn How To Use Headsets / Voip

11 replies to this topic

#1 Battle Face

Rookie

• Knight Errant
  • 5 posts

Posted 09 August 2015 - 06:24 PM

Hello,
I am fairly new to the game, played a little while in beta, and recently returned. All of my experience is in playing in pugs, I haven't even explored the factions, as I am not sure how it works.
I recall when the player base was much smaller, people used a Teamspeak server to communicate and it made the game really fun. It appears the game has implemented Voip into the software, but I have no idea how it works.
Can anybody please explain how to get the Voip feature working?
Also, will I need to join a faction to have a reasonable chance of finding Voip or Teamspeak teammates?

Please help, I don't know where to begin... getting crushed in pugs with no communication is not much fun.

Thanks..

#2 Stickjock

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 2,687 posts
  • LocationPetal, MS

Posted 10 August 2015 - 11:15 AM

Battle... as far as in-game VOIP goes... as long as you have your mic/speakers (headset/mic combo) a simple press of the default key: CAPS LOCK activates your push-to-talk... <--- only works IN a battle tho'... not in the hangar (correct me if I'm wrong tho anyone...)

PUG drop myself exclusively these days... and a lot of drops you'll get at least one or two guys on VOIP that are communicating...

#3 Ryokens leap

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,180 posts
  • LocationEdmonton, Alberta, Canada

Posted 10 August 2015 - 03:53 PM

Unfortunately most people that play pub que are there because they don't want the team experience and therefore are not on comms, or they are internet dumb dumbs. I recently watched a Twitch streamer new to MWO calling the one guy that was calling locations and targets a try hard loser and said streamer was under the impression that charging straight into the enemy was the correct way to play. This is a large majority of pub que players and largely the fault of PGI for not having real tutorials. VoIP can be a struggle to get working, mic gain ect must be cranked up for it to work in my experience.

#4 EmperorMyrf

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Howl
  • The Howl
  • 740 posts
  • LocationMinnesota, USA

Posted 10 August 2015 - 07:48 PM

Teamspeak is still your best bet, the people that are there are there because they want to use comms. Channels are here:

(Comstar EU) Address: eu1.mech-connect.net

(Comstar NA) Address: na1.mech-connect.net (Higher Population)

In-game VOIP still can be useful though. Stickjock explained how to use it but you first need to turn it on, it's off by default. Go to Settings -> Audio -> Enable VOIP to flip it on and choose your playback/record devices. the Push-to-Talk key can also be reassigned like any other in-game keys, I personally hate mapping Caps lock to anything so I slap my left ctrl to on to it.

EDIT: no passwords anymore

Edited by EmperorMyrf, 11 August 2015 - 05:47 AM.

#5 IraqiWalker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 10 August 2015 - 08:09 PM

View PostEmperorMyrf, on 10 August 2015 - 07:48 PM, said:

Teamspeak is still your best bet, the people that are there are there because they want to use comms. Channels are here:

(Comstar EU) Address: eu1.mech-connect.net
Password: hG5!4Dg*

(Comstar NA) Address: na1.mech-connect.net (Higher Population)
Password: WordofBlake

In-game VOIP still can be useful though. Stickjock explained how to use it but you first need to turn it on, it's off by default. Go to Settings -> Audio -> Enable VOIP to flip it on and choose your playback/record devices. the Push-to-Talk key can also be reassigned like any other in-game keys, I personally hate mapping Caps lock to anything so I slap my left ctrl to on to it.

I don't remember Comstar ever having passwords.

#6 EmperorMyrf

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Howl
  • The Howl
  • 740 posts
  • LocationMinnesota, USA

Posted 11 August 2015 - 05:46 AM

View PostIraqiWalker, on 10 August 2015 - 08:09 PM, said:

I don't remember Comstar ever having passwords.

huh, I guess they got rid of them some time ago then my bad. I had just pulled this info from here.

#7 mailin

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 2,033 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 11 August 2015 - 01:54 PM

MWO's voip does take some fiddling to get working mostly okay. When you get it working, ask your team mates for a mic check

#8 Battle Face

Rookie

• Knight Errant
  • 5 posts

Posted 12 August 2015 - 08:47 PM

Thanks for the help everybody! We've got it working.

#9 Battle Face

Rookie

• Knight Errant
  • 5 posts

Posted 12 August 2015 - 10:55 PM

Do people still use TeamSpeak?
I recall the TS servers were flooded with folks who were helpful, and fun to play with.
Most of the posts re: TS are from 2012 and 2013, and the only server I found listed ( [color=#959595]na1.mech-connect.net[/color] ) has many channels and is for the most part completely deserted.
I am hoping there is another server and I just have an outdated address, or maybe there is another way to find groups who use headsets to join up with.
I don't really want to join a clan, since I don't play all the time but my friends and I want to play with a little more strategy than we're getting with the silent PUG drops.
Any advice?

#10 Rogue Jedi

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 13 August 2015 - 12:17 AM

View PostBattle Face, on 12 August 2015 - 10:55 PM, said:

I recall the TS servers were flooded with folks who were helpful, and fun to play with.
Most of the posts re: TS are from 2012 and 2013, and the only server I found listed ( [color=#959595]na1.mech-connect.net[/color] ) has many channels and is for the most part completely deserted.
I am hoping there is another server and I just have an outdated address, or maybe there is another way to find groups who use headsets to join up with.
I don't really want to join a clan, since I don't play all the time but my friends and I want to play with a little more strategy than we're getting with the silent PUG drops.
Any advice?

Most Units (try to avoid that use of the word clan because in Mechwarrior/Battletech the Clans are several major factions) have there own Teamspeek Server, and many will be happy to accept casual players.

as for public teamspeek servers unfortunately I do not know any, sorry

#11 mailin

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 2,033 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 13 August 2015 - 02:03 AM

I used to be on the comstar na TeamSpeak server a lot, but due to actually working now I tend to pug so I use in game voip whenever I can and back when I was using TS a lot there was no in game option. I think that this is one thing that has happened. In game comms are really hit or miss in my experience. Some drops nobody but me says anything, but other drops we'll have 3 or 4 people all communicating. I highly encourage you to use in game voip even if not many are using it. I think that as people become used to it they will slowly migrate towards it once they realize how helpful it can be.

#12 IraqiWalker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 13 August 2015 - 10:53 AM

View PostBattle Face, on 12 August 2015 - 10:55 PM, said:

Any advice?

Oh yes. We use it heavily. However, almost every unit has their own TS3 server, and every faction has their own as well. The Comstar servers are provided by PGI for anyone to jump into them. I tend to use the faction servers if I am dropping CW matches in their borders, to help me coordinate with others. I use the Comstar servers for training drops, or when dropping with people not from my unit.

If you ever want a hand, PM me on this site with a date, and time, so I can be there to help out with anything you need, builds, advise, tactics, lessons, or even dropping as a 2 man+

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users