Ice Ferret Is...fricken Killer!

44 replies to this topic

#1 Voivode

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hungry
  • The Hungry
  • 1,465 posts

Posted 11 August 2015 - 07:21 AM

So, I bought three Ice Ferrets because having a 45 tonner that goes 142 KPH seemed interesting. Spent some time experimenting and unlocked the elites on all three. After piloting several hundred matches in them I have to say....these things are cold blooded killers! I've been pretty satisfied with my purchase so far. It plays like a Commando's big brother and man is it a blast!

#2 N a p e s

• The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 1,688 posts
  • LocationQuebec

Posted 11 August 2015 - 07:43 AM

From a performance POV, I like it. Not much in terms of podspace so builds are limited but its fun.

I really just wish it didn't look like a fridge with thunder thighs...

Edited by PowerOfNapes, 11 August 2015 - 07:44 AM.

#3 Spleenslitta

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,617 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 11 August 2015 - 07:51 AM

I've been tempted to buy it several times. What stopped me is the lack of JJ's which i'm completly addicted to.
Yup i'm a genuine JJ addict to the point it's become instinctive. I need them. I must have them.

No ECM either and lack of hardpoints throws more wrenches into my plans for the Ice Ferret.

#4 Shadey99

• The Tip of the Spear
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • 1,241 posts

Posted 11 August 2015 - 03:14 PM

I just mastered these a bit ago... I built them out as oversized Arctic Cheetahs (same speed and nearly the same pod space). Usually 5 SPLs (Or 4 ERSLs with a ERML) and a SRM6/SSRM6. Absolutely brutal up close in your face mechs. I have more than one '4 kill match with highest damage' in these...

#5 Mad Ox

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 358 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 12 August 2015 - 07:07 AM

View PostPowerOfNapes, on 11 August 2015 - 07:43 AM, said:

I really just wish it didn't look like a fridge with thunder thighs...

HAAAAAA to true

Always had a soft spot for the Fenris from Battletech days not perfect but with speed and weapon spread fit in well to most anything. MWO similar can take a good beating and still give one in return.

Hmm well after finishing off Locusts last night I wasn't sure what to do. Looking at Mist Lynx but think I need a break from lights got my 3 Fenris I been putzing along with think they will be my next to do Mech.

#6 Shadey99

• The Tip of the Spear
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • 1,241 posts

Posted 12 August 2015 - 07:17 AM

View PostMad Ox, on 12 August 2015 - 07:07 AM, said:

Hmm well after finishing off Locusts last night I wasn't sure what to do. Looking at Mist Lynx but think I need a break from lights got my 3 Fenris I been putzing along with think they will be my next to do Mech.

Good luck! You should enjoy them a lot!

Personally I've run out of lights to master (unless someone buys me some Urbies as they are the only ones I don't have)... I'm also nearly out of mediums as well (only missing Vindicators, Trebs, and Kintaros)...

Edited by Shadey99, 04 March 2016 - 06:15 PM.

#7 Ninjivitis

• PipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 30 posts
  • LocationCT

Posted 22 August 2015 - 09:30 AM

I been working on my Dire Wolves and I was feeling the woes of an assault pilot in a slow mech, itching to go fast. I needed to scratch that light itch, so I just picked up an Ice Ferret B and I'm having fun with it already with the stock loadout! I will definitely be grabbing the other variants.

#8 WrathOfDeadguy

• The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 1,951 posts

Posted 22 August 2015 - 10:13 AM

I've been wanting to try one out, since they're essentially the Clan equivalent of the Cicada and I greatly enjoy those... the cbill cost has just been prohibitive, since I've also been leveling Adders and rebuilding my support Kit Fox lately and Clan tech is... crazy expensive.

#9 Appogee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 10,966 posts
  • LocationOn planet Tukayyid, celebrating victory

Posted 22 August 2015 - 10:14 AM

View PostVoivode, on 11 August 2015 - 07:21 AM, said:

these things are cold blooded killers!

What loadouts are you using?

I never found IFRs to be that good. Maybe I was loading them out wrong.

#10 levitas

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Forbidden
  • The Forbidden
  • 264 posts

Posted 22 August 2015 - 04:17 PM

Try either of the following:

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...0c54ee5dbd931d4

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...2ca0b2826018766

Edit: make sure you use the legs with the durability quirk

Edited by solar levitas, 22 August 2015 - 04:18 PM.

#11 bad arcade kitty

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 5,100 posts

Posted 22 August 2015 - 04:25 PM

i would prefer 4 mpl

#12 The Mech behind you

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 566 posts
  • LocationGermany, Northern Baden-Württemberg

Posted 03 September 2015 - 02:53 PM

Fricken Killer! No sh**!

I'm currently mastering my Ice Ferrets and 2 of 5 are done as of now. The others only miss their Mastery skill. When I bought my Ice Ferrets I expected a Cicada with a Blackjack level of tankiness. What I got was a killing machine that even outperform my Wolverines when comparing the average KDR.

IFR-A: 2 CERLL, TC II
IFR-B: 2 CERML, 2 CSRM6, TC I
IFR-C: 3 CSRM6
IFR-D: 3 CMPL, 1 CERML
IFR-Pr: 1 CLPL, 1 CERML, 1 CSRM4

The C and the Prime share my 3rd best KDR of all lights & meds as of now and the D even has my best KDR. Outperforming my meta Wolverine-6K!!! And that mech already felt like a bully on steroid overdose in a pacifist camp. Effing Clan Tech is easy mode! :ph34r:

Can't wait to get my hands on a Stormcrow! Might be boring... ;)

I like the Ice Ferret.

#13 bad arcade kitty

• Bridesmaid
  • 5,100 posts

Posted 03 September 2015 - 02:58 PM

i'm mad they preferred to release ice ferret instead of viper
just imagine a mech with ice ferret's energy loadout but also with jump jets and almost as fast... possibly could use a few machine guns too

#14 TercieI

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,147 posts
  • LocationThe Far Country

Posted 03 September 2015 - 03:33 PM

Highly underrated mech.

#15 Wyest

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 51 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 03 September 2015 - 03:45 PM

View PostAppogee, on 22 August 2015 - 10:14 AM, said:

What loadouts are you using?

5SPL - Close in brawler. May not work so well on Caustic or Alpine, anything else, you're good. Heat's managable.
4MPL - Hot, hot hot, but if you can keep it cool and control your fire, you've got damage and range.
3SRM4, MPL - Good brawler.

The Ferret is a good mix of maneuverability (yes, even without jump jets) and firepower. It's not an Arctic Cheetah, but it does have good hitboxes, a half-decent loadout and speed. Just don't face-tank...

#16 bad arcade kitty

• Bridesmaid
  • 5,100 posts

Posted 03 September 2015 - 03:57 PM

well 4 mpl isn't that hot for a clan mech, like 5 ml it's 38% heat efficiency on smurfy

#17 Mad Ox

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 358 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 17 September 2015 - 06:38 AM

Been rolling mine here and there when I load up game. So far with exception of getting cored immediately games have been a total blast.

Current Mix on my three has been. Each with Active prob if I remember right anything to counter invisible mechs I am good with. And I stick to stock Omnipods while skilling up to make each a little different and give me different perspectives on how to roll the mech.

Prime - 2 MPL and SSRM6 so far solid performer for me. Though slow reload of SSRM I might down grade it for faster firing.
A - ERPPC and ERML just switched to this liking the stand off potential. Find cover pop out shot someone in side or rear back off. Gave up on Ballistic on it tonnage just not enough to make it worth it to me.
C - ERLL and 3 SSRM2 chain fire the SSRM's great for hunting those dang ECM mechs especially lights have seen some very impressive damage games even with limited ammo.

With the speed I am easily in enemy back field and they never look behind them, rear armor so juicy. On tp in rear I sneak up and drop UAV to spot entire time and watch the creds and xp roll in. With its tonnage got some good armor so has real good staying power. Even on the prime with everything in the arms I can only think of 1 game where I got stuck with no weapons and I was last mech vs almost entire team at that point so ehhh.

#18 DONTOR

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,804 posts
  • LocationStuck on a piece of Commando in my Ice Ferret

Posted 17 September 2015 - 02:16 PM

View PostVoivode, on 11 August 2015 - 07:21 AM, said:

So, I bought three Ice Ferrets because having a 45 tonner that goes 142 KPH seemed interesting. Spent some time experimenting and unlocked the elites on all three. After piloting several hundred matches in them I have to say....these things are cold blooded killers! I've been pretty satisfied with my purchase so far. It plays like a Commando's big brother and man is it a blast!

SHHHH you will tell everyone our secret! But seriously they are nasty when piloted correctly. And you are 100% correct they are a bigger Commando, so obviously that means they kick ass.

I run mine with 50 fire power, 2 SPls, 2 MLs, and 2 SRM6s 2 tons ammo

Edited by DONTOR, 17 September 2015 - 02:25 PM.

#19 Voivode

• The Hungry
  • The Hungry
  • 1,465 posts

Posted 17 September 2015 - 02:43 PM

I've had some excellent results with these builds (not at a computer with MWO installed so I can't check exactly which variants, they are fairly interchangable, choose the variants with center torso energy hardpoint)

1) 3x ERML + 2 x SSRM4 (2 tons ammo)

2) 1 x LPL + 2 x ERML + 2 x ERSL

3) 1 x UAC2 (1 ton ammo) + 3 x ERML

#20 levitas

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Forbidden
  • The Forbidden
  • 264 posts

Posted 28 October 2015 - 10:26 AM

How has nobody mentioned the fact that the ifr-b gets a durability quirk to its CT?

That variant has as much HP as a stormcrow! I discovered this yesterday, and it really feels better. 14 extra HP in that CT is anything but insignificant.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users