Ice Ferret Is...fricken Killer!

44 replies to this topic

#21 Mystic fog

Rookie

• 1 posts

Posted 15 December 2015 - 10:36 PM

After i bought my ice ferret it was a tank! i could do 1v1s with atlas's and sometimes not even take a scratch! its faster and or as fast as most light mechs and has more Armour than a hellbringer, if you see on of these probably should throttle the other way because this doesn't scratch your paint it dissolves it.

#22 Shalune

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 647 posts
  • LocationCombination Pizza Hut and Taco Bell

Posted 18 December 2015 - 06:47 PM

Glad to see some IFR love. It's criminally under-appreciated simply because it fills the same role as the meta-worthy Stormcrow less successfully and gets overshadowed in the process.

The only genuinely strong build I've found with it though was the not-so-creative LPL + 2 ER ML, which has fallen on hard times with the meta taking a sharp turn away from poking lately.

#23 RisingStar

Rookie

• Philanthropist
  • 7 posts

Posted 23 January 2016 - 03:41 PM

I've always liked the idea of a fast medium mech like the Ice Ferret but wasn't sure if I would like the play style in MWO. Luckily, I managed to get the Cicada CDA-2A from the challenge last month and so far I've really been enjoying it. So I would like to try the medium and small pulse builds on the Ice Ferret to start off. How similar are the CDA-2A and the Ice Ferret in terms of survivability? I know the Ice Ferret has more armour and structure, but from what I've read the mech size, hit boxes, and quirks will also play a role, right? I just started playing MWO and would appreciate thoughts and recommendations on omni-pod choice.

The D variant appears to be the obvious choice with the pulse laser quirks on the CT. However, I am wondering if the extra structure in the CT of the B variant would be more beneficial. Pulse laser duration is certainly nice, but I wonder how useful pulse laser cooldown is as the mech probably runs hot enough without it.

On a similar note, I wonder if the B left arm would be more helpful than the D due to the energy heat generation decrease. I will definitely choose the D right arm.

As for the remaining omni-pods, I was wondering if I should go for the highest structure (B or D legs) or chose a lower value one with additional speed quirks (Prime, A, or C legs).

Thanks in advance.

#24 B0oN

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,870 posts

Posted 23 January 2016 - 04:04 PM

IceFarts are murderous farts ^^

#25 Sniper09121986

• The Sickle
  • The Sickle
  • 2,161 posts

Posted 23 January 2016 - 04:17 PM

When I used to level IFR, I have used a fairly simple loadout: IFR-C Ammo placement is arbitrary, but you get the idea. I have had some success as a PPC camper, but this really blew the roof off the house. "Ah, that Ferret derping around, what can it do to anyone? Posted Image Stravag, where is my torso?" A great departure from all-energy loadouts that I am used to. Also OP rightfully compares IFR to my favourite Lyran protomech, it is all just bad reputation based on theory and not on practice.

#26 grendeldog

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 340 posts

Posted 23 January 2016 - 05:08 PM

Stick 2 MPL in each arm and run range plus cooldown mods. Sneak up behind a bigger mech from a direction they don't expect and shoot them in their poorly-armored backsides. Scoot out of there before they see you. Rinse, repeat.

Honestly I was totally shocked when I first took this mech out. I expected to run it a few times and then put it back on the shelf as one more poorly performing clan light (I know it's a medium but it's a light in the same way a CDA is a light - speed, lack of much armor, focus on mobility and repositioning). But I just kept racking up kills and really enjoyed it.

For a less kinetic, more cautious build, go with four (or five with the D variant) ER mediums, for greater range. There's also an ER large snipe-ish build for even greater range, but I think this mech relies on as little face time as possible. For a build that is more challenging, take out 5 SPLs. The 4 MPL build is a nice sweet spot between those two extremes.

Okay, there's no JJs, and the Cheetah can do these builds and more, but there's something very satisfying about playing the Ferret for me. I do better in this mech than the Cheetah, despite less of an alpha and the lack of JJs.

Edited by grendeldog, 23 January 2016 - 05:14 PM.

#27 Mazzyplz

• Ace Of Spades
  • 3,292 posts

Posted 23 January 2016 - 06:42 PM

the proper comparison to cda in clan tech right now is the shadowcat.

cicada = shadowcat.

think of the ice ferret as a counterpart to the 6mpl crab.

the reason it is under appreciated is because there is only like 10 tons to work with, but despite this i have been meaning to try this mech when i get the chance

#28 RisingStar

Rookie

• Philanthropist
  • 7 posts

Posted 24 January 2016 - 12:25 PM

View PostMazzyplz, on 23 January 2016 - 06:42 PM, said:

the proper comparison to cda in clan tech right now is the shadowcat.

cicada = shadowcat.

think of the ice ferret as a counterpart to the 6mpl crab.

the reason it is under appreciated is because there is only like 10 tons to work with, but despite this i have been meaning to try this mech when i get the chance

Why do you think Cicada = Shadow Cat and Ice Ferret = Crab? I am looking at it from the perspective of speed. The Crab is as slow as the Timber Wolf. The Shadow Cat is the same speed as my Stormcrow but lighter. The Ice Ferret is about the same speed on average as the Cicada. Moreover, the 4 Clan medium pulse lasers on the Ice Ferret D have essentially the same alpha as the 6 medium lasers on the Cicada 2A that I'm using.

#29 TercieI

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,147 posts
  • LocationThe Far Country

Posted 28 January 2016 - 09:24 PM

View PostRisingStar, on 24 January 2016 - 12:25 PM, said:

Why do you think Cicada = Shadow Cat and Ice Ferret = Crab? I am looking at it from the perspective of speed. The Crab is as slow as the Timber Wolf. The Shadow Cat is the same speed as my Stormcrow but lighter. The Ice Ferret is about the same speed on average as the Cicada. Moreover, the 4 Clan medium pulse lasers on the Ice Ferret D have essentially the same alpha as the 6 medium lasers on the Cicada 2A that I'm using.

I agree with you. IFR is basically a Clan CDA (with arm actuation). Near-light-mech speed with decent amount of guns, but kinda large profile. SHC has some similarities though it's speed profile is lower and its major JJ are its defining characteristic (lacked by both IFR and all but he the 3F CDAs). The Crab is a whole different animal. Frankly, I don't think anything is that similar to the Crab. It's pretty unique.

#30 TELEFORCE

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Ardent
  • The Ardent
  • 1,549 posts

Posted 29 January 2016 - 01:41 AM

My favorite Ice Ferret build right now is 5 ER Medium Lasers, TC1, and an SRM-6 with a ton of ammo, with an extra DHS. It's great at hit and runs, even on hot maps where I can use its speed to stay in cover while cooling down and let off a SRM salvo if someone tries to bug me while cooling off.

Edited by TELEFORCE, 29 January 2016 - 01:41 AM.

#31 RisingStar

Rookie

• Philanthropist
  • 7 posts

Posted 04 February 2016 - 04:49 PM

I took advantage of the sale and bought the A, B, and D variants. I elited the B and D and will soon elite the A as well. I love having the speed and armor and enjoy it more than my Stormcrow. Then again, my piloting skills have improved so maybe I'd do better if I went back to my Stormcrow now.
I did some calculations and found that the Ice Ferret has 553 points of armour and structure combined, across all sections, while the Stormcrow has 563. So not that much difference.
My favourite build is probably 4 Medium Pulse Lasers. I also love 1 ER PPC and 1 ER Medium Laser, though it is clearly a fire support build. The most memorable games were 1 one Polar Highlands where I was the last one on my team being chased by half the enemy team, and I managed to take 2 of them down while running away, and another game on Tourmaline Desert where I hung with my assaults and got KMDD on an enemy Dire. The most relaxing build to play is 2 ER Large Lasers. With 5 Small Pulse Lasers, I either do a ton of damage or almost none at all. Too stressful of a build for my liking. I find 5 ER Medium Lasers too hot for my liking.

#32 White Bear 84

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,857 posts

Posted 04 February 2016 - 05:38 PM

Like the arcade machine out of Kung Fury..

Posted Image

#33 J0anna

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Merciless
  • The Merciless
  • 939 posts

Posted 21 February 2016 - 06:34 PM

View PostSniper09121986, on 23 January 2016 - 04:17 PM, said:

Also OP rightfully compares IFR to my favourite Lyran protomech, it is all just bad reputation based on theory and not on practice.

No it's got a bad reputation because without quirks it was a steaming pile. Those of us who mastered it before I got any quirks, can tell you exactly how bad it was. I have 3 of them and will only run them if very drunk. They are all setup the same, flamers and narcs. They have exactly 1 point of armor in all locations (allow for more narc ammo), the goal was to break 25 points of damage before dying, with the nerf to flamer damage, that would probably be impossible today....Every time I read a thread like this, I think about setting it up to actually do damage and dropping in it, then I see it in my hanger and get violently ill and decide to run a real mech like a Mist Lynx that actually can kill stuff....To me it will always be the "Ice Feces".....

#34 STEF_

• The Nocturnal
  • The Nocturnal
  • 5,443 posts
  • Locationmy cockpit

Posted 21 February 2016 - 06:59 PM

View PostJ0anna, on 21 February 2016 - 06:34 PM, said:

No it's got a bad reputation because without quirks it was a steaming pile. Those of us who mastered it before I got any quirks, can tell you exactly how bad it was. I have 3 of them and will only run them if very drunk. They are all setup the same, flamers and narcs. They have exactly 1 point of armor in all locations (allow for more narc ammo), the goal was to break 25 points of damage before dying, with the nerf to flamer damage, that would probably be impossible today....Every time I read a thread like this, I think about setting it up to actually do damage and dropping in it, then I see it in my hanger and get violently ill and decide to run a real mech like a Mist Lynx that actually can kill stuff....To me it will always be the "Ice Feces".....

I just leave this here
Posted Image

edit: translated, this means: 352,6 dmg per match, that is an efficiency of 7,83 points of dmg per ton.

Edited by Stefka Kerensky, 21 February 2016 - 07:03 PM.

#35 Nightshade24

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3,972 posts
  • LocationSolaris VII

Posted 21 February 2016 - 07:44 PM

View PostAppogee, on 22 August 2015 - 10:14 AM, said:

What loadouts are you using?

I never found IFRs to be that good. Maybe I was loading them out wrong.

My fave ice ferret is personally using a stock+ prime load out but you could try a medium pulse laser and ER PPC.

#36 Nightshade24

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3,972 posts
  • LocationSolaris VII

Posted 21 February 2016 - 09:55 PM

View PostJ0anna, on 21 February 2016 - 06:34 PM, said:

I personally have no idea why you think the mist lynx is better than ice ferret... perhaps it's with your interesting build...

#37 PraetorGix

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Warden
  • The Warden
  • 730 posts
  • LocationHere at home

Posted 21 February 2016 - 10:23 PM

Indeed, I never understood completely why the hate on this mech. I only kept one chassis but I have a couple interchangeable loadouts and it has always been a great mech to pilot for me.

#38 J0anna

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Merciless
  • The Merciless
  • 939 posts

Posted 22 February 2016 - 02:24 AM

View PostNightshade24, on 21 February 2016 - 09:55 PM, said:

I personally have no idea why you think the mist lynx is better than ice ferret... perhaps it's with your interesting build...

The build has nothing to do with how I ran it while mastering it. It's a setup to remind me what a pile of junk this mech was (before quirks). Mastering it was a struggle, even though I have a positive w/l in all of them. I do not think the Mist Lynx is a good mech by any means, but I mastered the Mist Lynx before any quirks (when you would lose all weapons if anyone looked at you), any way I have better w/l, k/d and damage per match in a Mist Lynx. It's not a good mech, but I have done better in it. I have around 150 mechs in my hanger, and I would prefer to use any of them over the Ice Feces.
Maybe it's much better with quirks, if so, enjoy it. Before quirks it was a horrid mech, which is how it got it's reputation.

#39 Nightshade24

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3,972 posts
  • LocationSolaris VII

Posted 22 February 2016 - 02:39 AM

View PostJ0anna, on 22 February 2016 - 02:24 AM, said:

The build has nothing to do with how I ran it while mastering it. It's a setup to remind me what a pile of junk this mech was (before quirks). Mastering it was a struggle, even though I have a positive w/l in all of them. I do not think the Mist Lynx is a good mech by any means, but I mastered the Mist Lynx before any quirks (when you would lose all weapons if anyone looked at you), any way I have better w/l, k/d and damage per match in a Mist Lynx. It's not a good mech, but I have done better in it. I have around 150 mechs in my hanger, and I would prefer to use any of them over the Ice Feces.
Maybe it's much better with quirks, if so, enjoy it. Before quirks it was a horrid mech, which is how it got it's reputation.

I mastered the mech before quirks and I considered better over the stormcrow.

Something I learned by being a mech collector that there are some mechs that I just plain suck at from the start, however after I play a bit and learn how to use it I get better. The same mechs I struggled to reach 100 damage in are the same mechs I do not struggle to hit 1000 damage these days [before quirks were added btw].

If I had a few bad games and still was shakey about a mechs performance after mastering it and so I make one of the worst builds possible on it to remind myself "that this is a bad mech" than I would be lolling around in this thing and claim that this mech is underpowered because i refused to learn how to play it so instead I play it with this build as compensation to make me feel better about myself doing bad in a 'bad' mech.

I do question your methods. If you really dislike the mech you should just sell it. Use those mech bays and C-bills for something else. However you play the game however you want to... as long as it doesn't turn to griefing and team killing. Howeer that's a bit hard to with a mech that is only a threat to infantry....

#40 Tarogato

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 6,557 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 22 February 2016 - 04:21 AM

View PostStefka Kerensky, on 21 February 2016 - 06:59 PM, said:

I just leave this here
Posted Image

edit: translated, this means: 352,6 dmg per match, that is an efficiency of 7,83 points of dmg per ton.

Three things.

One: 352.6 average damage is pretty moderate for a medium mech. You should be aiming for closer to 400. =P

Two: since you have an outrageous 3.73 WLR, your KDR is actually rather meaningless (since you usually get your deaths from lost matches anyways). Instead, go by KpM (kills per match, or "kill average"), which in this case is 1.13 (while still good, it's not as outrageously impressive as 3.26 KDR looks).

Three: this does your averages for you, and allows you to sort by category, and more: http://mwomercs.com/...-stats-sorting/

Edited by Tarogato, 22 February 2016 - 04:39 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users